Raichu (SubPunch) + (Update)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/raichu

[SET]
name: Subpunch + Encore
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Encore / Grass Knot
move 4: Volt Tackle
item: Leftovers
ability: Static
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk /4 SpD /252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the Nasty Plot set, this Raichu variant attempts to break walls and act as a general annoyer to your opponent's team. The goal of this set is to set up a Substitute on a forced switch, via Encore, and wear down the opponent's team with a combination of Focus Punch and Volt Tackle. Substitute offers Raichu immediate protection and immunity to status, and is necessary to safely pull off a Focus Punch. Focus Punch allows Raichu to smash through many common walls, while also hitting all of the Pokemon that counter the previous set hard. This makes Raichu a decent lure for specially defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Registeel expecting to easily counter Raichu’s Nasty Plot set. Encore is highly important for this set to succeed, as it allows Raichu to set up a Substitute on Pokemon who would otherwise threaten him. For example, Raichu can switch into a Registeel or a Donphan using Stealth Rock, Encore them, then set up a Substitute on the switch. Raichu can also use Encore to give his teammates an opportunity to set up. For example, if Raichu is behind a Substitute and the opposing Pokemon attacks with Earthquake, Raichu can use Encore and switch out to a Pokemon with a Ground-type immunity to get that teammate a free attack or the chance to set up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Raichu can use Life Orb over Leftovers to gain more power. With a Life Orb boost, Raichu is guaranteed to 2HKO Registeel with the combination of Focus Punch and Volt Tackle. However, Life Orb comes with deadly recoil, which when combined with the HP lost from Substitute and recoil from Volt Tackle, will quickly wear out Raichu. Grass Knot is an option over Encore if you want to get by common counters to this set. Pokemon such as Donphan and Rhyperior, who are immune to Volt Tackle and take laughable amounts of damage from Focus Punch, are 2HKOed by Grass Knot.</p>

<p>This Raichu set has a hard time getting past Venusaur, who completely walls all of his moves. If Raichu is lacking Grass Knot, Donphan and Rhyperior stop it cold. This makes Moltres an excellent partner to Raichu. Moltres can switch into all three of the aforementioned Pokemon without trouble (assuming Donphan and Rhyperior don't use a Rock-type attack), and threaten them with his STAB and coverage moves. Additionally, Raichu and Moltres share decent synergy with each other. Moltres is capable of switching into Ground type attacks aimed at Raichu, while Raichu is capable of switching into certain bulky Water-types and weak Electric-type moves.</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]

<p>Raichu's movepool is surprisingly wide for an Electric-type; despite this, Raichu ultimately falls into the "jack of all trades, master of none" category. For example, a specialized support set with Encore and Wish can be used, but Clefable is usually a better choice for this role due to her superior defensive stats and her ability, Magic Guard. Raichu can use Choice Specs with Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice / Grass Knot / Focus Blast for outstanding coverage and power, but this set is usually outclassed by Manectric, who boasts similar coverage, access to Switcheroo, and more power and much more Speed. An Agility + 3 Attacks set can be used, but Raichu is too weak to actually sweep after an agility Agility boost. Raichu has access to Teeter Dance, which when combined with Thunder Wave allows Raichu to abuse the ParaFusion strategy. However, Raichu is usually outperformed by Lanturn, who boasts significantly more bulk and a better defensive typing. Raichu also has access to moves such as Charm, Tickle, Surf, Magnet Rise, and Yawn, each of which have a use in certain situations but are better off left unused since they are typically unreliable.</p>

[COUNTERS]

<p>Chansey is as an excellent counter to Nasty Plot Raichu due to her phenomenal HP and high Special Defense stats. Chansey can cripple Raichu with Thunder Wave or Toxic, or simply wear him down with Seismic Toss. She needs to be wary of a Nasty Plot-boosted Focus Blast, however, which will 2HKO. Lanturn and Quagsire are both immune to Thunderbolt, and can easily survive most of Raichu's attacks and cripple him with Thunder Wave and Earthquake, respectively. Quagsire who lack Special Defense investment should be wary of a Nasty Plot-boosted Focus Blast, however, as it can potentially OHKO him. Registeel and Steelix are excellent counters to Nasty Plot Raichu without Focus Blast.</p>

<p>The Substitute + Focus Punch sets are easily countered by Venusaur, who completely walls Raichu. Steelix is an excellent counter to SubPunch sets. His ridiculously high Defense stat allows him to sponge Focus Punch. Donphan and Rhyperior are also immune to Volt Tackle, take very low damage from Focus Punch, but should be aware of Grass Knot, which can deal heavy damage. Priority moves from Pokemon such as Hitmontop and Arcanine can take out Raichu easily due to his frailty. Finally, Dugtrio is a top-notch check to Raichu, since he is able to trap and OHKO Raichu with Arena Trap and Earthquake.</p>

breh

強いだね
Fastest Subpuncher in the UU tier.
No, it's not; This would actually be Floatzel in NU and Sceptile in UU

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of this set? Without Encore, Leafeon will very happily set up and without grass knot, rhyperior will. I mean sure you force out a milotic and get a sub... but then what? You can't set up in the same way NP can, as raichu... doesn't really set anything up. It gets a sub up and really becomes setup fodder :/

Run Jolly/Hasty, there is no reason to run adamant and get outsped by Houndoom, Leafeon, and the occasional arcanine.

I'm no expert but I came up with a fun set when fly pikachu came out that rocked a bit. It ran sub-fly-focus punch-gk @lefties Switching in on things that fear raichu, flying if a grass comes in and OHKO/2HKO whatever thought it could take raichu down. Is flychu even on shoddy? (wifi guy here)

At any rate, fly as an option?

haha PK and his Raichu.

Doesn't Pikachu do this better?
I think this Raichu main purpose is luring. Since everyone knows what Pikachu's going to do, but against Raichu it's normally expected that they're the Nasty Plot ones.
Other than that, yes Pikachu does it better IMO.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
No, it's not; This would actually be Floatzel in NU and Sceptile in UU

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of this set? Without Encore, Leafeon will very happily set up and without grass knot, rhyperior will. I mean sure you force out a milotic and get a sub... but then what? You can't set up in the same way NP can, as raichu... doesn't really set anything up. It gets a sub up and really becomes setup fodder :/

Run Jolly/Hasty, there is no reason to run adamant and get outsped by Houndoom, Leafeon, and the occasional arcanine.
Fastest Encore + Subpuncher is what I mean't to say. Yeah, as M Blade said it's a lure for Raichu's NP counters and basically a physical varient to an otherwise Specially based pokemon. It also happily sets up on anything with a non-attacking move via encore. Grass Knot is just a secondary option if your team can't handle Rhyperior.

Yeah, I guess the speed is useful, so I guess I should place it over Adamant.

Doesn't Pikachu do this better?
Actually no, Pikachu's stuck holding Light Ball so it can't use Lefties AND is like the frailest thing in the world. There are merits to using Pikachu, but Raichu is better imo.

It's High Risk/Medium Reward vs Low Risk/Mediumish reward.
Edit: Also, Pikachu cannot effectively use Volt Tackle due to it's low HP stat.

haha PK and his Raichu.
Blame School. >_>

I'm no expert but I came up with a fun set when fly pikachu came out that rocked a bit. It ran sub-fly-focus punch-gk @lefties Switching in on things that fear raichu, flying if a grass comes in and OHKO/2HKO whatever thought it could take raichu down. Is flychu even on shoddy? (wifi guy here)

At any rate, fly as an option?
I hate to be a downer, but fly is kinda useless competitively. And does Raichu even get fly anymore?!? IIRC it was a gen 3 move, so you would have to delete it migrate him.

I found this set far too weak and ineffective at its job.

When i forced Pokemon such as Milotic out, 9/10 times I'm met swiftly by a Venusaur who I need to switch out of. This Raichu, unlike NP Raichu, can't even touch Venusaur. The other times I'm met by something like Chansey (and rarely ever Registeel). The problem is that Chansey, once it sees you Substitute, will switch right out into something that can take a Focus Punch (and thus a Volt Tackle).

Otherwise, for the rest of the battle, Raichu is like a weak....well it's just weak.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
STAB Volt Tackle does bypass the weak base attack stat (It hits harder significantly harder than Electivire's Thunderpunch) and it lets Raichu hit quite hard. For example, Morning Glory Arcanine is 2HKO by Focus Punch + Volt Tackle.

You can't bypass Venusaur and that's quite a handicap, but it's not like it's mean't to take on every single pokemon. (Volt Tackle deals 38.9% - 45.8%, so you can potentially wear with hazards, and 2HKO it)

As for luring out Chansey and Clefable, I've had a lot of Chansey's actually stay in on me to break my substitute, it's basically unheard of Raichu running Focus Punch, so unless it's been used before, they'll stay in to break your sub.

Doesn't Poliwrath have a subpunch set too? He's equally walled by Venusaur, and is even weaker than Raichu. (He's got more bulk/typing/etc and he's probably better than Raichu.)

It's worse than Nasty Plot, but I found it to be *different* enough to work.

The trouble is not that it has counters, the trouble is which Pokemon its counters are. The fact that any moderately intelligent player (even ladder players) willnot leave Chansey in.

This Raichu is different than NP, but it only "beats" one Pokemon (Chansey) that NP doesn't, and that Pokemon will not stay in and switch to one of this sets many counters. I just found that this happened in every match.

The differences with Poliwrath:

1. It hits much harder with Focus Punch (For example, against Rhyperior (random Pokemon for example's sake), Poliwrath does 59.3% - 70.4% while Raichu does 37.8% - 44.4%).

2. It has Ice Punch (2HKOes Venusaur very easily, even after a Focus Punch)

3. It is bulky, so setting up Substitute is much easier.

Feel free to post logs and sway my opinion though, I'm not "set" on reject just yet.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Well as for luring NP's counters, Raichu also beats Clefable, Registeel and it can hurt Lanturn, something NP can't do. It also doesn't just lure out Raichu's previous counters, it's also an effective physical attackers. NP chu has to boost up to deal damage, while this set can hit hard right off the bat.

Yeah, I already stated that Poliwrath was better, but he's still somewhat walled by Milotic, has trouble with some Venusaur (and loses outright unless hazards + behind a sub) and it's quite weak. STAB Waterfall coming of a base 85 Atk stat isn't really threatning. Base 90 isn't much better, but Volt Tackle hits like pretty hard.

As for *beating Rhyperior*, why would Rhyperior switch in the first place? (And besides, Raichu can run Grass Knot to beat him anyway)

Also thanks for not outright rejecting, I'll begin compiling logs.

I actually tested both Pikachu and Raichu using this set and Pikachu was better like 95% of the time. Frailty didn't matter because neither of them are going to want to be taking hits anyway. Also, Pikachu has a good chance to 2HKO Venusaur with rocks up. I loved doing that. I still think Pikachu is better.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Okay I'm back with some logs and new opinion. I've been using Raichu the wrong way. It basically needs Leftovers (and Jolly nature) to do it's job properly. I gravitated away from Focus punch to Grass Knot.

The trouble is not that it has counters, the trouble is which Pokemon its counters are. The fact that any moderately intelligent player (even ladder players) willnot leave Chansey in.

This Raichu is different than NP, but it only "beats" one Pokemon (Chansey) that NP doesn't, and that Pokemon will not stay in and switch to one of this sets many counters. I just found that this happened in every match.
As for dealing with Chansey, I often Focus Punched on the switch if I knew the opponent had a Chansey. I found this to be effective because Substitute was a dead give away.

I actually tested both Pikachu and Raichu using this set and Pikachu was better like 95% of the time. Frailty didn't matter because neither of them are going to want to be taking hits anyway. Also, Pikachu has a good chance to 2HKO Venusaur with rocks up. I loved doing that. I still think Pikachu is better.
I found this to be completely untrue. Like I said, I've been going about using Raichu the wrong way. He NEEDS leftovers to perform his duties as a general subpuncher/annoyer. Hazard damage can really eat at your HP, and you need Leftovers to buffer Volt Tackle. Second, how can Volt Tackle be useful on Pikachu? It's incredibly hazardous to it's pitiful HP score. You'll be getting off 2 or 3 Volt Tackles max. Coupled with Raichu's extra speed to beat base 95 ers, I found Raichu to be far more effective than Pikachu.

Compiling logs in a sec.

Log 1:
Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Jar HEad sent out Gideon (lvl 100 Uxie).
ShaneZell sent out Mesprit (lvl 100 Mesprit).
Gideon used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Mesprit used Stealth Rock.
---
Gideon used Thunder Wave.
Mesprit is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Mesprit used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Gideon lost 34% of its health.
ShaneZell switched in Houndoom (lvl 100 Houndoom ?).
Pointed stones dug into Houndoom.
Houndoom lost 25% of its health.
Gideon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Gideon restored 6% of its health.
---
Houndoom used Dark Pulse.
It's super effective!
Gideon lost 51% of its health.
Gideon flinched!
---
Jar HEad: ffft
Jar HEad switched in JustMilotic (lvl 100 Milotic ?).
Pointed stones dug into JustMilotic.
JustMilotic lost 12% of its health.
Houndoom used Dark Pulse.
JustMilotic lost 29% of its health.
JustMilotic's leftovers restored its health a little!
JustMilotic restored 6% of its health.
---
ShaneZell switched in Toxicroak (lvl 100 Toxicroak ?).
Pointed stones dug into Toxicroak.
Toxicroak lost 6% of its health.
JustMilotic used Surf.
Toxicroak's Dry Skin absorbed damage!
Toxicroak restored 6% of its health.
---
Jar HEad switched in Todd (lvl 100 Raichu ?).
Pointed stones dug into Todd.
Todd lost 12% of its health.
Toxicroak used Substitute.
Toxicroak lost 25% of its health.
Toxicroak made a substitute!
Todd's leftovers restored its health a little!
Todd restored 6% of its health.
Toxicroak's Black Sludge restored a little health!
---
Toxicroak is tightening its focus!
Todd used Encore.
Toxicroak got an encore!
But it failed!
---
Todd used Substitute.
Todd lost 25% of its health.
Todd made a substitute!
But it failed!
---
ShaneZell switched in Spiritomb (lvl 100 Spiritomb ?).
Spiritomb is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Spiritomb.
Spiritomb lost 12% of its health.
Todd used Volt Tackle.
Spiritomb lost 54% of its health.
Todd was hit by recoil!
Todd lost 21% of its health.
---
Spiritomb used Sucker Punch.
The substitute took damage for Todd!
Todd's substitute faded!
Todd used Volt Tackle.
Spiritomb lost 34% of its health.
ShaneZell's Spiritomb fainted.
Todd was hit by recoil!
Todd lost 13% of its health.
---
ShaneZell switched in Nidoking (lvl 100 Nidoking ?).
Pointed stones dug into Nidoking.
Nidoking lost 6% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into JustMilotic.
JustMilotic lost 12% of its health.
Nidoking used Earth Power.
JustMilotic lost 31% of its health.
Nidoking lost 10% of its health.
---
Nidoking used Thunderbolt.
It's not very effective...
Todd lost 24% of its health.
---
Todd used Encore.
Nidoking got an encore!
Todd lost 20% of its health.
---
Jar HEad switched in Lucas (lvl 100 Rhyperior ?).
Pointed stones dug into Lucas.
Lucas lost 6% of its health.
It doesn't affect Lucas...
Lucas's leftovers restored its health a little!
Lucas restored 6% of its health.
---
ShaneZell switched in Mesprit (lvl 100 Mesprit).
Pointed stones dug into Mesprit.
Mesprit lost 12% of its health.
Lucas used Substitute.
Lucas lost 25% of its health.
Lucas made a substitute!
Mesprit's leftovers restored its health a little!
Mesprit restored 6% of its health.
---
Lucas used Megahorn.
It's super effective!
Mesprit lost 90% of its health.
Mesprit used Zen Headbutt.
The substitute took damage for Lucas!
Lucas's substitute faded!
---
Lucas used Stone Edge.
Mesprit lost 10% of its health.
ShaneZell's Mesprit fainted.
---
Nidoking used Earth Power.
It's super effective!
Lucas lost 93% of its health.
Jar HEad's Lucas fainted.
---
Jar HEad switched in Gideon (lvl 100 Uxie).
Pointed stones dug into Gideon.
Gideon lost 12% of its health.
Gideon lost 15% of its health.
Jar HEad's Gideon fainted.
---
Jar HEad switched in Patel (lvl 100 Arcanine ?).
Patel's Intimidate cut Nidoking's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Patel.
Patel lost 25% of its health.
ShaneZell switched in Houndoom (lvl 100 Houndoom ?).
Pointed stones dug into Houndoom.
Houndoom lost 25% of its health.
Patel used Extremespeed.
Houndoom lost 42% of its health.
Patel's leftovers restored its health a little!
Patel restored 6% of its health.
---
Houndoom used Sucker Punch.
Patel lost 29% of its health.
Patel used Extremespeed.
Houndoom lost 9% of its health.
ShaneZell's Houndoom fainted.
---
ShaneZell switched in Tauros (lvl 100 Tauros ?).
Pointed stones dug into Tauros.
Tauros lost 12% of its health.
Jar HEad switched in Roxie (lvl 100 Leafeon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Roxie.
Roxie lost 12% of its health.
Tauros used Substitute.
Tauros lost 25% of its health.
Tauros made a substitute!
Roxie's leftovers restored its health a little!
Roxie restored 6% of its health.
---
Tauros used Return.
Roxie lost 30% of its health.
Roxie used Leaf Blade.
The substitute took damage for Tauros!
Tauros's substitute faded!
---
Tauros used Substitute.
Roxie used Leaf Blade.
---
Tauros used Substitute.
Roxie used Leaf Blade.
Tauros's Salac Berry raised its speed!
---
Tauros used Return.
Roxie lost 27% of its health.
Roxie used Leaf Blade.
Tauros lost 13% of its health.
ShaneZell's Tauros fainted.
---
Toxicroak lost 25% of its health.
Toxicroak made a substitute!
---
Todd used Encore.
But it failed!
---
Todd used Grass Knot.
Nidoking lost 25% of its health.
Nidoking's Poison Point poisoned Todd!
Nidoking used Ice Beam.
Todd lost 16% of its health.
Jar HEad's Todd fainted.
Nidoking lost 8% of its health.
ShaneZell's Nidoking fainted.
---
Patel's Intimidate cut Toxicroak's attack!
Toxicroak used Sucker Punch.
But it failed!
Patel used Morning Sun.
Patel restored 50% of its health.
---
ShaneZell: gg
Jar HEad: gg
Patel used Flare Blitz.
A critical hit!
Toxicroak lost 69% of its health.
ShaneZell's Toxicroak fainted.
Jar HEad wins!
ShaneZell has left the room.

Log 2
Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
PhoeNiX_1993 sent out Flareon (lvl 100 Flareon ?).
Gideon used Stealth Rock.
Flareon used Body Slam.
Gideon lost 29% of its health.
Gideon is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Flareon lost 10% of its health.
---
Flareon used Fire Blast.
Gideon lost 39% of its health.
Flareon is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---
Flareon used Fire Blast.
JustMilotic lost 20% of its health.
---
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Ampharos (lvl 100 Ampharos ?).
Pointed stones dug into Ampharos.
Ampharos lost 12% of its health.
JustMilotic used Surf.
Ampharos lost 29% of its health.
---
Ampharos used Thunderbolt.
Todd lost 39% of its health.
---
Todd used Encore.
Ampharos got an encore!
Todd lost 39% of its health.
Todd is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---
It doesn't affect Lucas...
---
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Blastoise (lvl 100 Blastoise ?).
Pointed stones dug into Blastoise.
Blastoise lost 12% of its health.
Lucas used Substitute.
Lucas made a substitute!
Blastoise's leftovers restored its health a little!
Blastoise restored 6% of its health.
---
Blastoise used Hydro Pump.
It's super effective!
Lucas used Earthquake.
Blastoise lost 55% of its health.
---
Blastoise used Hydro Pump.
It's super effective!
Lucas lost 87% of its health.
---
Jar HEad: woops
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Flareon (lvl 100 Flareon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Flareon.
Flareon lost 25% of its health.
Roxie used Heal Bell.
---
Flareon used Fire Blast.
JustMilotic lost 21% of its health.
---
Flareon used Superpower.
Todd lost 33% of its health.
Jar HEad's Todd fainted.
Flareon's attack was lowered.
Flareon's defence was lowered.
---
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Blastoise (lvl 100 Blastoise ?).
Pointed stones dug into Blastoise.
Blastoise lost 12% of its health.
JustMilotic used Surf.
Blastoise lost 16% of its health.
---
JustMilotic used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Blastoise lost 29% of its health.
PhoeNiX_1993's Blastoise fainted.
---
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Leafeon (lvl 100 Leafeon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Leafeon.
Leafeon lost 12% of its health.
Patel's Intimidate cut Leafeon's attack!
Leafeon used Seed Bomb.
Patel lost 11% of its health.
Leafeon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Leafeon restored 6% of its health.
---
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Donphan (lvl 100 Donphan ?).
Pointed stones dug into Donphan.
Donphan lost 6% of its health.
Patel used Flare Blitz.
Donphan lost 35% of its health.
Patel was hit by recoil!
Patel lost 11% of its health.
Donphan's leftovers restored its health a little!
Donphan restored 6% of its health.
---
Jar HEad: oh
Jar HEad: Run Leaf Blade, it overshadows Seed Bomb
Donphan used Rapid Spin.
Donphan blew away the pointed stones!
Roxie lost 4% of its health.
Roxie restored 4% of its health.
---
Roxie used Wish.
Roxie made a wish!
Donphan used Stealth Rock.
---
Jar HEad switched in Gideon (lvl 100 Uxie).
Pointed stones dug into Gideon.
Gideon lost 12% of its health.
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Flareon (lvl 100 Flareon ?).
The wish came true!
Gideon restored 50% of its health.
---
Gideon used Psychic.
Flareon lost 25% of its health.
PhoeNiX_1993's Flareon fainted.
---
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Leafeon (lvl 100 Leafeon ?).
Leafeon is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Leafeon used Swords Dance.
Leafeon's attack was sharply raised.
Gideon restored 5% of its health.
---
Gideon used Psychic.
Leafeon lost 34% of its health.
Leafeon used Synthesis.
Leafeon restored 34% of its health.
---
Gideon used Psychic.
Leafeon lost 39% of its health.
Leafeon is paralysed! It can't move!
---
Gideon used Psychic.
Leafeon lost 34% of its health.
---
Gideon used Psychic.
Leafeon lost 39% of its health.
---
Jar HEad: Sorry
PhoeNiX_1993: yes haxx me down
Gideon used Psychic.
Leafeon lost 7% of its health.
PhoeNiX_1993's Leafeon fainted.
---
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Alakazam (lvl 100 Alakazam ?).
Alakazam used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
Alakazam is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Gideon is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---
It's super effective!
But it failed!
---
Jar HEad: again
Jar HEad: woops
It's super effective!
Gideon lost 10% of its health.
Jar HEad's Gideon fainted.
---
Patel's Intimidate cut Alakazam's attack!
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Donphan (lvl 100 Donphan ?).
Patel used Flare Blitz.
Donphan lost 37% of its health.
Patel was hit by recoil!
Patel lost 12% of its health.
---
Pointed stones dug into Roxie.
Donphan used Earthquake.
Roxie lost 16% of its health.
---
Roxie used Leaf Blade.
It's super effective!
Donphan lost 53% of its health.
Donphan used Stone Edge.
Roxie lost 23% of its health.
---
Roxie used Leaf Blade.
It's super effective!
Donphan lost 7% of its health.
PhoeNiX_1993's Donphan fainted.
---
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Ampharos (lvl 100 Ampharos ?).
Roxie used Leaf Blade.
A critical hit!
Ampharos lost 58% of its health.
PhoeNiX_1993's Ampharos fainted.
Ampharos's Static paralysed Roxie!
---
PhoeNiX_1993 switched in Alakazam (lvl 100 Alakazam ?).
Alakazam used Psychic.
Roxie lost 73% of its health.
Jar HEad's Roxie fainted.
---
Patel's Intimidate cut Alakazam's attack!
Patel used Flare Blitz.
Alakazam lost 100% of its health.
PhoeNiX_1993's Alakazam fainted.
Jar HEad wins!
PhoeNiX_1993 has left the room.

Log 3
disturbed.1 sent out Evil (lvl 100 Spiritomb ?).
Evil is exerting its pressure!
disturbed.1 switched in Doggy (lvl 100 Houndoom ?).
---
disturbed.1 switched in Evil (lvl 100 Spiritomb ?).
Evil is exerting its pressure!
Lucas used Earthquake.
Evil lost 62% of its health.
Evil's leftovers restored its health a little!
Evil restored 6% of its health.
---
Lucas used Substitute.
Lucas made a substitute!
Evil used Pain Split.
But it failed!
Evil's leftovers restored its health a little!
Evil restored 6% of its health.
---
Lucas used Earthquake.
Evil lost 50% of its health.
disturbed.1's Evil fainted.
---
disturbed.1 switched in Turtle (lvl 100 Blastoise ?).
Turtle used Surf.
It's super effective!
Lucas used Earthquake.
Turtle lost 40% of its health.
Turtle's leftovers restored its health a little!
Turtle restored 6% of its health.
---
Turtle used Toxic.
Roxie was badly poisoned!
Roxie is hurt by poison!
Roxie lost 6% of its health.
---
disturbed.1 switched in Beast (lvl 100 Drapion ?).
Roxie used Leaf Blade.
Beast lost 19% of its health.
Roxie is hurt by poison!
---
Beast used Swords Dance.
Beast's attack was sharply raised.
---
Lucas used Earthquake.
Turtle lost 38% of its health.
Lucas restored 1% of its health.
---
Turtle used Protect.
Turtle protected itself!
Roxie is hurt by poison!
---
Roxie used Heal Bell.
Turtle used Toxic.
Turtle's attack missed!
---
Roxie used Leaf Blade.
It's super effective!
Turtle lost 50% of its health.
Turtle used Toxic.
Roxie was badly poisoned!
Roxie is hurt by poison!
---
Turtle used Protect.
Turtle protected itself!
Roxie used Leaf Blade.
Turtle protected itself!
Roxie is hurt by poison!
---
Roxie used Heal Bell.
---
Doggy used Dark Pulse.
JustMilotic lost 36% of its health.
Doggy lost 10% of its health.
---
disturbed.1 switched in Ness (lvl 100 Lapras ?).
JustMilotic used Surf.
---
Ness used Substitute.
Ness lost 25% of its health.
Ness made a substitute!
Ness's leftovers restored its health a little!
Ness restored 6% of its health.
---
Todd used Encore.
Ness got an encore!
Ness used Substitute.
But it failed!
---
Todd used Substitute.
Todd lost 25% of its health.
Todd made a substitute!
---
Todd used Volt Tackle.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Turtle lost 20% of its health.
disturbed.1's Turtle fainted.
Todd was hit by recoil!
Todd lost 9% of its health.
---
disturbed.1 switched in Fairy (lvl 100 Clefable ?).
Todd used Volt Tackle.
Fairy lost 47% of its health.
Todd was hit by recoil!
Todd lost 23% of its health.
Fairy used Seismic Toss.
The substitute took damage for Todd!
Todd's substitute faded!
Fairy's leftovers restored its health a little!
Fairy restored 6% of its health.
---
Todd used Volt Tackle.
Fairy lost 48% of its health.
Todd was hit by recoil!
Todd lost 24% of its health.
Fairy used Seismic Toss.
Todd lost 37% of its health.
Jar HEad's Todd fainted.
Todd's Static paralysed Fairy!
Fairy's leftovers restored its health a little!
Fairy restored 6% of its health.
---
Lucas used Earthquake.
Fairy lost 17% of its health.
disturbed.1's Fairy fainted.
---
Ness used Waterfall.
JustMilotic lost 14% of its health.
---
Ness used Substitute.
Ness made a substitute!
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Ness!
Ness's substitute faded!
---
Ness used Substitute.
Ness made a substitute!
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Ness!
Ness's substitute faded!
---
disturbed.1 switched in Beast (lvl 100 Drapion ?).
Beast lost 12% of its health.
---
Beast used Swords Dance.
Beast's attack was sharply raised.
---
Beast used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Lucas lost 100% of its health.
---
Patel's Intimidate cut Beast's attack!
Beast used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Patel lost 94% of its health.
Patel used Flare Blitz.
Beast lost 48% of its health.
Patel was hit by recoil!
Patel lost 6% of its health.
Jar HEad's Patel fainted.
---
Beast used Night Slash.
JustMilotic lost 34% of its health.
JustMilotic used Surf.
Beast lost 21% of its health.
disturbed.1's Beast fainted.
---
Doggy used Dark Pulse.
JustMilotic lost 30% of its health.
Doggy lost 10% of its health.
JustMilotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
Doggy lost 80% of its health.
disturbed.1's Doggy fainted.
---
Ness used Zen Headbutt.
JustMilotic lost 19% of its health.
JustMilotic used Recover.
JustMilotic restored 50% of its health.
---
Ness used Dragon Dance.
Ness's attack was raised.
Ness's speed was raised.
It's super effective!
Ness lost 26% of its health.
---
Ness used Dragon Dance.
Ness's attack was raised.
Ness's speed was raised.
It's super effective!
Ness lost 26% of its health.
---
Ness used Zen Headbutt.
JustMilotic lost 37% of its health.
It's super effective!
Ness lost 22% of its health.
disturbed.1's Ness fainted.
Jar HEad wins!
disturbed.1: gg
disturbed.1 has left the room.

Log 4

Jar Head sent out Omastar (lvl 100 Omastar ?).
kidskillz95 sent out Mesprit (lvl 100 Mesprit).
Omastar used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
Mesprit used Psychic.
Omastar lost 53% of its health.
---
Jar Head switched in Spiritomb (lvl 100 Spiritomb ?).
Spiritomb is exerting its pressure!
Mesprit used Stealth Rock.
---
Spiritomb used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Mesprit lost 47% of its health.
Mesprit used U-turn.
Spiritomb lost 18% of its health.
kidskillz95 switched in Registeel (lvl 100 Registeel).
Registeel was hurt by Spikes!
Registeel lost 12% of its health.
Registeel's leftovers restored its health a little!
Registeel restored 6% of its health.
Spiritomb's leftovers restored its health a little!
Spiritomb restored 6% of its health.
---
Jar Head switched in Omastar (lvl 100 Omastar ?).
Pointed stones dug into Omastar.
Omastar lost 12% of its health.
Registeel used Curse.
Registeel's speed was lowered.
Registeel's attack was raised.
Registeel's defence was raised.
---
Jar Head switched in Raichu (lvl 100 Raichu ?).
Pointed stones dug into Raichu.
Raichu lost 12% of its health.
Registeel used Amnesia.
Registeel's special defence was sharply raised.
Registeel restored 0% of its health.
---
Raichu used Encore.
Registeel got an encore!
Registeel used Amnesia.
---
Raichu used Substitute.
Raichu lost 25% of its health.
Raichu made a substitute!
Registeel used Amnesia.
---
Raichu is tightening its focus!
Registeel used Amnesia.
Registeel's special defence won't go higher!
Raichu used Focus Punch.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 26% of its health.
---
Registeel used Amnesia.
Registeel's special defence won't go higher!
Raichu used Focus Punch.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 30% of its health.
---
kidskillz95 switched in Mesprit (lvl 100 Mesprit).
Raichu used Focus Punch.
Mesprit lost 17% of its health.
---
Raichu used Volt Tackle.
Mesprit lost 42% of its health.
kidskillz95's Mesprit fainted.
Raichu was hit by recoil!
Raichu lost 19% of its health.
---
kidskillz95 switched in Hitmonchan (lvl 100 Hitmonchan ?).
Hitmonchan was hurt by Spikes!
Hitmonchan lost 12% of its health.
Hitmonchan used Mach Punch.
The substitute took damage for Raichu!
Raichu's substitute faded!
Raichu used Volt Tackle.
Hitmonchan lost 88% of its health.
kidskillz95's Hitmonchan fainted.
Raichu lost 27% of its health.
---
kidskillz95 switched in Sceptile (lvl 100 Sceptile ?).
Sceptile was hurt by Spikes!
Sceptile lost 12% of its health.
Sceptile used Substitute.
Sceptile lost 25% of its health.
Sceptile made a substitute!
Raichu used Encore.
Sceptile got an encore!
Sceptile's leftovers restored its health a little!
Sceptile restored 6% of its health.
---
kidskillz95 switched in Clefable (lvl 100 Clefable ?).
Clefable was hurt by Spikes!
Raichu used Focus Punch.
It's super effective!
Clefable lost 81% of its health.
Clefable's leftovers restored its health a little!
Clefable restored 6% of its health.
---
Raichu used Volt Tackle.
Clefable lost 25% of its health.
kidskillz95's Clefable fainted.
Raichu lost 13% of its health.
---
kidskillz95 switched in Sceptile (lvl 100 Sceptile ?).
Sceptile was hurt by Spikes!
Sceptile used Energy Ball.
Raichu lost 4% of its health.
Jar Head's Raichu fainted.
---
Jar Head switched in Weezing (lvl 100 Weezing ?).
Pointed stones dug into Weezing.
Weezing lost 12% of its health.
Sceptile used Leech Seed.
Weezing was seeded!
Weezing used Will-o-wisp.
Sceptile was burned!
Sceptile was hurt by its burn!
Weezing's leftovers restored its health a little!
Weezing restored 6% of its health.
Weezing's health was sapped by leech seed!
Sceptile regained health!
Sceptile restored 12% of its health.
---
Sceptile used Substitute.
Sceptile lost 25% of its health.
Sceptile made a substitute!
Weezing used Sludge Bomb.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Sceptile!
Sceptile's substitute faded!
Sceptile was hurt by its burn!
Sceptile regained health!
Sceptile restored 12% of its health.
---
kidskillz95 switched in Registeel (lvl 100 Registeel).
Registeel was hurt by Spikes!
Weezing used Sludge Bomb.
It doesn't affect Registeel...
Registeel regained health!
Registeel restored 11% of its health.
---
Weezing used Will-o-wisp.
Registeel was burned!
Registeel used Curse.
Registeel was hurt by its burn!
---
Weezing used Rest.
Weezing fell asleep!
Weezing restored 37% of its health.
Registeel used Amnesia.
---
Jar Head switched in Aggron (lvl 100 Aggron ?).
Pointed stones dug into Aggron.
Aggron lost 6% of its health.
Registeel used Curse.
---
Aggron used Low Kick.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 19% of its health.
Aggron lost 10% of its health.
Registeel used Curse.
---
Aggron used Low Kick.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 16% of its health.
Registeel used Rest.
Registeel fell asleep!
Registeel restored 77% of its health.
---
Aggron used Low Kick.
It's super effective!
Registeel is fast asleep!
---
Aggron used Low Kick.
It's super effective!
Registeel is fast asleep!
---
Aggron used Low Kick.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 15% of its health.
Registeel woke up!
Registeel used Curse.
---
Aggron used Low Kick.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 13% of its health.
Registeel used Rollout.
Aggron lost 6% of its health.
---
headsmashheadsmash has entered the room.
Aggron used Low Kick.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 13% of its health.
Registeel used Rollout.
Aggron lost 11% of its health.
---

Aggron used Low Kick.
It's super effective!
Aggron lost 8% of its health.
Jar Head's Aggron fainted.
Registeel used Rollout.
But there was no target!
---
Jar Head switched in Weezing (lvl 100 Weezing ?).
Pointed stones dug into Weezing.
Weezing is fast asleep!
Registeel used Rollout.
Weezing lost 75% of its health.
Jar Head's Weezing fainted.
---
Jar Head: woops.
Jar Head: yeah, that's gg

The point of the logs wasn't to show off Raichu, and I do realize I was playing rather sloppily in some matches. The point of the logs is that Subchu is different enough to use over NPchu. Is it amazing? Heck no, but it's still decent. I initially rejected the set due to not being quite on par with NPchu, but wasn't that too harsh? I mean, there are many Smogon sets that are usually inferior but at least *usable.*

breh

強いだね
While I can't say the second and fourth logs are very good (I mean wtf amnesia registeel and lead Flareon? lol), the first log is the best of the bunch and shows me what Raichu is really supposed to be doing: annoying the shit out of people with Encore and hitting harder than t-bolt with volt tackle.

I still don't enjoy that it's walled hard by grass types, though

Oh and lastly, you should mention that Raichu is also useful due to the near absence of Electric type moves in UU

I appreciate the fast Encore, but that's really all this set does. Raichu can't even take a resisted Tbolt from Ampharos.... I'll test it further just to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
While I can't say the second and fourth logs are very good (I mean wtf amnesia registeel and lead Flareon? lol), the first log is the best of the bunch and shows me what Raichu is really supposed to be doing: annoying the shit out of people with Encore and hitting harder than t-bolt with volt tackle.

I still don't enjoy that it's walled hard by grass types, though

Oh and lastly, you should mention that Raichu is also useful due to the near absence of Electric type moves in UU
Good points, thanks.

I appreciate the fast Encore, but that's really all this set does. Raichu can't even take a resisted Tbolt from Ampharos.... I'll test it further just to make sure I'm not overlooking something.
It's got some insane SpA!

It's not just a fast encorer, the set also doesn't really mind Chansey, Clefable or Registeel unlike the Nasty plot set, has more staying power (leftovers) and Sub + Encore lets it setup it's teamates without dying.

I appreciate the second testing!

PS: Actually, i've been tinkering with Raichu and you can allocate 40 of it's EV's into SpD to give it more staying power against special moves. The cost is outspeeding base 100's(Ninetails is the only notable example), but unlike the NP set it's not really a big deal if I gets outsped. (It's not "sweeping" the opposition)

Fast Encore in general can be very useful and save your team from a lot of stuff. I've used this Raichu before and it certainly works in that capacity. This may seem awfully traitorous since I've endorsed this in the past, but I think there are better users of Sub+Encore out there. Volt Tackle + Focus Punch is pretty bad coverage and Sub+Recoil is the kind of thing you only do when you really have no other choice (and as I mentioned I think there are better choices). I don't think it would be particularly bad if this ended up on the site, though, since it's more a matter of being outclassed than being terrible.

The NP set usually goes for a setup after using Encore, so generally it will only use it once or twice before going down in (hopefully) a blaze of glory. The point of using this set has always been to get the most out of the your Encore support - going physical just takes advantage of high BP moves since you're running Leftovers. This being the case, I'm going to propose something rather unexpected that I think outclasses SubPunch Raichu almost entirely - Primape.

Primeape gets better coverage (Fighting/Rock or Ice) and Attack, STAB Close Combat instead of relying on Focus Punch, SR resistance, and a sleep immunity to switch in and make Encore that much more annoying. All this comes at the cost of 5 base speed and not 2HKOing Milotic. The set isn't onsite yet, but I may post it here. Take this how you will. Again, I don't totally oppose this going up, but I think most of the time I'd rather use Primeape or Alakazam. Raichu may have significant advantages over Lopunny and Poliwrath, but they also give this guy some serious competition for a team slot.

I had some better results with my last test, however I'm still not 100% sold on this set. Pikachu shouldn't be compared, because it won't ever get a Substitute up and if it does, it can only do it 4 times at most.

I love the Substitute + Encore aspect of this set, as well as the STAB Electric attack. However, I really think Raichu is just too weak once it has a Substitute set up. I think I might try it with Thunderbolt / Focus Blast...or something. I don't like relying on physical attacks, especially when one of them is Focus Punch.

I don't know. I guess I'll wait for others tests. I may give this another round of testing.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I agree with most of what has been said so far. Pretty much everything in Heysup's post has applied for me as well. Volt Tackle's recoil is fairly unappealing when you're losing health from Substitute already, and furthermore, it's not very powerful. It's the type of thing you'd expect from a more defensive Pokemon like Arcanine...only Raichu has the defenses of a stick.

I think fly might deserve a slash (though it is unsuable with volt tackle, because one is from the pokewalker. It lets you get rid of venasaur and other grass, and has good synergy with grass and fighting. It 2kos venasaur, who really cant switch in if it has taken prior damage. volt tackle takes too much recoil, I would think, to be effective.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I honestly think that Pikachu's Mixed Mascot is better at this, even though Heysup thinks otherwise.

-Pikachu only really needs one Sub to start dealing damage.
-Pikachu's Focus Punch is more powerful
-Raichu isn't bulky, even with Lefties
-Pikachu's Thunderbolt is just about as powerful as Raichu's Volt Tackle, minus the recoil.
-Light Ball > Leftovers(ok this one is debatable)
-Pikachu can also run Encore(over Hidden Power Ice)

The only thing Raichu really has is speed. It helps a ton, I admit. But not enough to do a much better job, at least not in my experience.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Here we go.
Fast Encore in general can be very useful and save your team from a lot of stuff. I've used this Raichu before and it certainly works in that capacity. This may seem awfully traitorous since I've endorsed this in the past, but I think there are better users of Sub+Encore out there. Volt Tackle + Focus Punch is pretty bad coverage and Sub+Recoil is the kind of thing you only do when you really have no other choice (and as I mentioned I think there are better choices). I don't think it would be particularly bad if this ended up on the site, though, since it's more a matter of being outclassed than being terrible.

The NP set usually goes for a setup after using Encore, so generally it will only use it once or twice before going down in (hopefully) a blaze of glory. The point of using this set has always been to get the most out of the your Encore support - going physical just takes advantage of high BP moves since you're running Leftovers. This being the case, I'm going to propose something rather unexpected that I think outclasses SubPunch Raichu almost entirely - Primape.

Primeape gets better coverage (Fighting/Rock or Ice) and Attack, STAB Close Combat instead of relying on Focus Punch, SR resistance, and a sleep immunity to switch in and make Encore that much more annoying. All this comes at the cost of 5 base speed and not 2HKOing Milotic. The set isn't onsite yet, but I may post it here. Take this how you will. Again, I don't totally oppose this going up, but I think most of the time I'd rather use Primeape or Alakazam. Raichu may have significant advantages over Lopunny and Poliwrath, but they also give this guy some serious competition for a team slot.
Primeape learns encore?!? Weird. Even if Primeape ends up being better, like you said it's not like Raichu is useless.

I had some better results with my last test, however I'm still not 100% sold on this set. Pikachu shouldn't be compared, because it won't ever get a Substitute up and if it does, it can only do it 4 times at most.

I love the Substitute + Encore aspect of this set, as well as the STAB Electric attack. However, I really think Raichu is just too weak once it has a Substitute set up. I think I might try it with Thunderbolt / Focus Blast...or something. I don't like relying on physical attacks, especially when one of them is Focus Punch.

I don't know. I guess I'll wait for others tests. I may give this another round of testing.
Well that's good to hear. As for Raichu being weak... yeah it is rather weak but such is the cost of Raichu opting for leftovers.

I agree with most of what has been said so far. Pretty much everything in Heysup's post has applied for me as well. Volt Tackle's recoil is fairly unappealing when you're losing health from Substitute already, and furthermore, it's not very powerful. It's the type of thing you'd expect from a more defensive Pokemon like Arcanine...only Raichu has the defenses of a stick
I guess we've reached an impass. Is it really the end of the line? I've never used it but maybe Heysup has a point of runnng T-bolt and Focus Blast. (or maybe T-bolt + Focus Punch)

I honestly think that Pikachu's Mixed Mascot is better at this, even though Heysup thinks otherwise.

-Pikachu only really needs one Sub to start dealing damage.
-Pikachu's Focus Punch is more powerful
-Raichu isn't bulky, even with Lefties
-Pikachu's Thunderbolt is just about as powerful as Raichu's Volt Tackle, minus the recoil.
-Light Ball > Leftovers(ok this one is debatable)
-Pikachu can also run Encore(over Hidden Power Ice)

The only thing Raichu really has is speed. It helps a ton, I admit. But not enough to do a much better job, at least not in my experience.
But don't they do 2 different things? The mixed mascot wallbreaks, while subchu... subpunches and annoys with Encore. There is no way I'd ever use Pikachu for the latter because of it's lack of leftovers + low bulk. That speed advantage is actually pretty useful as Raichu can force out Moltres, threaten Sucker Punchless Houndoom's, and screw over SD Leafeon.

-I agree, Pikachu needs one sub to wreck things but i've found that setting up a substitute is somewhat difficult without encore.
-Yeah.
-It's not bulky, but the leftovers recory helps a lot. (In building substitutes, softening volt tackle etc)
-Yeah, that is definetely a pro.
-No... Pikachu NEEDS to run encore or it's going to have a lot of trouble setting up substitutes. Hell, Encore is probably the only reason the QC team is even considering Raichu.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No, Pikachu DOESN'T need encore all the time. It helps, definitely, but I was always better off using Sub + 3 attacks.

What I'm trying to say is that if one were to run Encore on Mixed Mascot, it would be almost 100% better at this. The only thing is that 100 Speed, which allows Raichu to be guaranteed to outrun Moltres and Houndoom and Leafeon and all the 90-100 range pokemon. Out of those, Moltres is not staying in and risking a Thunderbolt to the face.

Any "bulk" advantage that Raichu has is offset by Pikachu's lack of recoil, due to it not needing Volt Tackle to deal damage.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
No, Pikachu DOESN'T need encore all the time. It helps, definitely, but I was always better off using Sub + 3 attacks.

What I'm trying to say is that if one were to run Encore on Mixed Mascot, it would be almost 100% better at this. The only thing is that 100 Speed, which allows Raichu to be guaranteed to outrun Moltres and Houndoom and Leafeon and all the 90-100 range pokemon. Out of those, Moltres is not staying in and risking a Thunderbolt to the face.

Any "bulk" advantage that Raichu has is offset by Pikachu's lack of recoil, due to it not needing Volt Tackle to deal damage
Encore definetely helps in aiding Pikachu because setting up a substitute is actually rather difficult. If Pikachu cannot OHKO the opposing it WILL die from the opponent who stays in. Sure, it can force out bulky waters (keep in mind that Milotic is not OHKOed by Light Ball T-bolt and Surf will cripple you in return) Pikachu is actual has trouble forcing out most of UU (or outright killing them) and without Encore it's not switching in on *anything*.

Raichu definetely gets cool points for outspeeding Moltres. As a Moltres user I would stay in on Pikachu (unless my team had dedicated counters) because even Hidden Power Grass is a clean OHKO most of the time.

Even with Volt Tackle recoil, Raichu is still infinitely more bulkier than Pikachu and leftovers is useful for healing hazard damage / HP loss taken from substitute. Besides, Heysup has discussed the use of (the much weaker) Thunderbolt over Volt Tackle, upping Raichu's bulk (at the cost of some power)

Yeah, I can see Pikachu's merits (the mixed mascot is very powerful) but I would never go as far to say that Pikachu outclasses Raichu, especially seeing as how it's an inferior encore user.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've used Pikachu once before and I've certainly learned my lesson since. All I have to say is this: there is a huge difference between low survival rate, and no survival rate.

In terms of this set though, a stronger Focus Punch and the ability to run mixed would actually make Pikachu a better candidate. I mean, geez, not 2HKOing Rhyperior with Focus Punch is just...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)