Raikou (Placeholder)

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Raikou
Placeholder. Writing the analysis. Questioning the efficiency of the Choice set.

[Overview]

<p></p>

[Set]
Name: Offensive Calm Mind
Move 1: Calm Mind
Move 2: Thunderbolt
Move 3: Shadow Ball
Move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fighting
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Satk / 252 Speed
Item: Air Balloon / Life Orb / Leftovers

[Set Comments]

<p>This is Raikou's classic offensive Calm Mind set.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Hidden Power Grass could be used to hit Quagsire harder, but Thunderbolt / Thunder hit nearly every other Water-type Pokemon harder.</p>

[Teammates and Counters]

<p>Unaware Quagsire walls Raikou unless Hidden Power Grass is being used. </p>

[Set]
Name: Defensive Calm Mind
Move 3: Hidden Power Ice
Move 4: Substitute
Evs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
Item: Leftovers

[Set Comments]

<p></p>

[Additional Comments]

<p></p>

[Teammates and Counters]

<p></p>

[Set]
Name: Choice
Move 1: Volt Switch
Move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Aura Sphere
Nature: Timid / Rash
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf

[Set Comments]

<p></p>

[Additional Comments]

<p></p>

[Teammates and Counters]

<p>Politoed, </p>

[Other Options]

<p>Aura Sphere (beware the Rash Nature)</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Excadrill in the sand serves as one of Raikou's biggest checks by outspeeding it and OHKOing it with a STAB boosted Earthquake. Priority attacks, such as Mach Punch from Raikou and Aqua Jet from Azumarill, can strike Raikou's weaker Defense stat and often OHKO it.</p>

<p>Unaware Quagsire, unless HP Grass is used, can wall Raikou by ignoring all of its accumulated boosts. Eviolite Chansey and Blissey wall Raikou with their massive Special Defense and ability to take any special attacks thrown at it.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Volt Absorb has not been released yet. If or when it is released, Raikou will benefit from it by coming into stray Electric-type attacks and healing itself.</p>

Although I feel many people will disagree with me, I find lightning rod to be a really useful ability on this thing. It allows you to counter bulky waters much better now, seeing many carry hidden power electric, and works great with synergy and allows you to sweep well with that great speed. While aura sphere might be a good option due to the increase in typing with moves. But then again what are you going to hit hard against? Rock and ground types? Hidden power ice/grass? I do admit it has its problems but its seriously worth a mention.

The problem is, Lightningrod is illegal with a few key moves from 4th generation moves, like Aura Sphere and Extremespeed, which is p bad for Raikou. Although Raikou is blessed with Lightningrod, it unfortunately can't live up to its better potential then with Pressure.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
At least in 4th Gen I've had excellent success with this set:

Name: Anti-Weather
Move 1: Thunder
Move 2: Weather Ball
Move 4: Aura Sphere
Nature: Rash
Ability: Pressure
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Satk / 252 Speed
Item: Life Orb / Expert Belt

In Rain, Thunder gets 100% accuracy, and hits like a friggin truck even with neutral damage.

Weather Ball's type changes depending on the weather condition, and doubles in power to 100 BP (plus receives an additional 50% bonus in Sun and Rain, essentially becoming 150 BP). In some circumstances it will do more damage than even STAB Thunder.

Hidden Power Ice is for those pesky dragons and most ground types. Grass types even have to beware.

Aura Sphere for the perfect accuracy, and for nailing Steel, Rock, Dark, Ice types.

Expert Belt is an option if you want some of the power of Life Orb, and you want to increase your longevity. Since you will be trying to rely on Super Effective attacks as much as possible

Counters include any strong attacker that outspeeds you, and has enough attacking power to OHKO. Special Walls will give you trouble, even Blissey can withstand an Aura Sphere without much trouble.

Yes thats the trade off, you lose aura sphere. Yes can it be worth it? In some cases I think it is. Hopefully this isn't completely irgnored, seeing as if a lot of people love that aura sphere, even when lightning rod is a decent alternative.

You should really slash attacks like Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere in on Extremespeed, as Raikou's attack, especially when uninvested in, is nothing to write home about.

Not satisfied with the skeleton. Raikou wants its speed more than it wants Aura Sphere. It outspeeds Lati@, Garchomp, Landlos, and the Genies with Timid. Those are significant as fuck.

[SET]
Name: Calm Mind Sweeper
Move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fighting
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Satk / 252 Speed
Item: Life Orb / Leftovers / Balloon

Rash, and Aura Sphere in additional comments.

[SET]
Name: Calm Mind (Conservative)
Move 4: Substitute
Evs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
Item: Leftovers

This set should never leave. Give him some HP gives his substitutes some bulk. Reaches a Leftovers point too.

[SET]
Name: Choice
Move 1: Volt Switch
Move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Aura Sphere
Nature: Timid / Rash
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf

standard choice beast

Thats about it. Simple stuff. Rash + Aura Sphere is REALLY REALLY overrated.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Ya, I definitely agree that Aura Sphere and Rash should go in additional comments. Without a Timid nature, Raikou is slower than threats that he NEEDS to be able to outrun, like Jolly Garchomp, Thundurus, and Latios. Outspeeding the metagame is a valuable niche that Raikou has, and should be stressed as much as possible.

Hidden Power Ice is MUCH better than Shadow Ball on the Aura Sphere CM set. Shadow Ball doesnt even hit anything and being walled by Garchomp, Gliscor, Landlorus <anything common> is well..dumb lol.

Regardless i agree with RL, HOWEVER i do think the Rash CM Aura Sphere set does possibly deserve its own set possibly called "Baton Pass Receiver" or "CM V.2" or something. Stallion, myself and a few others have used this as a Shell Smash Baton Pass receiver (works with Mew too) with Dual Screens and it really tears shit up, especially with the speed outspeeding everything now and the coverage of Electric/Ice/Fight is phenomenal.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
If they include the Weather Counter set, Shadow Ball should be slashed to hit Latios on the switch.

Hp Grass is meh, as the only thing it really hits over anything else is Swampert, and he's only one pokemon. Maybe give it a mention in AC.

HP Grass also hits Quagsire and Gastrodon, who are actually going to pop up a lot because they have defensive niches in this metagame. However, people will be switching in Ferrothorn way more often and Scarf Chomp/Gliscor will be switching in too. Because it takes care of rarer pokemon you would straight up lose to otherwise it should be in AC but only in AC.

Rename the first set Offensive Calm Mind and the second set Sub + Calm Mind or something like that to make it more clear.

Edit: Mention that Substitute Calm Mind Raikou can actually beat Blissey/Chansey one on one if they lack Seismic Toss as Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt will not break Raikou's substitutes after a Calm Mind and Substitute blocks Toxic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)