Doubles Raikou

Overview:
  • Raikou isn't seemingly outclassed by Mega Manectric, it is usually outclassed by it.
  • Cluster your points about good special defense and snarl and generalize that Raikou can take on many of the metagame's special attackers.
  • I wouldn't call its movepool necessarily effective if it relies on Hidden Power for coverage.
Moves:
  • Protect also stalls field conditions.
  • You don't need to explain the type chart for each move. Thunderbolt is its STAB and HP Ice hits the things its STAB doesn't hit like Ground and Grass-types. EZ PZ
  • Volt Switch is for momentum gain as well.
Set Details:
  • It outspeeds and OHKOs Garchomp and Landoge with HP Ice. Specify that this set lures Scarf Landorus-T (the only other Ground Scarfers Mamo and Excadrill can tank HP Ices) and it allows Raikou to safely switch into Garchomp.
Usage Tips:
  • The first bullet isn't a usage tip, you could say something like "Raikou has the ability to switch into Electric- and Flying-types easily, so that is the best way to get it in unharmed."
  • Don't spam Snarl while Bisharp is around.
  • With no recovery, damage easily racks up, so use Raikou wisely.
  • The whole point of Shuca is so you can play mindlessly and spam its attacks while not caring about potential earthquakes.
Usage Tips:
  • Raikou doesn't typically deal with Electric- and Flying-types because they just switch out and wait for a later time to enter. Raikou deals with Ground-types like Landorus-T and Garchomp.
  • Don't spam snarl with Bisharp around :o
Team Options:
  • Practically every physical attacker Doubles like Scarf Landorus-T and stuff like Heatran likes Ground-types gone as well. Raikou also threatens Water-types that scare Heatran :p
  • You don't want Mega Gyarados as a partner because of its Mold Breaker Earthquakes :O
  • The only Ground-types it hates are Mamoswine and Excadrill (unless you specify non-Shuca) and they are checked better by stuff like Breloom and Conkeldurr.
  • Intimidate/WoW patch up its defense.
Other Options
  • All of those LO calcs are important af, so this whole bullet should probably be moved to Set Details
Checks & Counters
  • Choice Scarf Landorus-T beats non-Shuca Raikou. It gets raped by Shuca Raikou.
  • Add Mamoswine.
  • Mega Kanga can take hits and smash back.
  • I would add somewhere that because it lacks any sort of recovery, two or three neutral hits can take it down.
  • Rotom-H typically dont run Electroweb
Alright, I implemented most of it, just their were some things I didn't:
  • Didn't mention how it OHKO's Garchomp and Landorus-T with Hidden Power Ice because it doesn't unless it has Life Orb. (252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 276-328 (77 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and 252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 292-344 (88.4 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO)
  • I don't see where I stated how it "deals" with Electric- and Flying-types (even though it does, whether that's through forcing them out, walling them, or KOing them) so I didn't implement that @_@ I also didn't mention the part about Ground-types because I already mentioned how it lures them already w/ Shuca in Set Details. (Though if you think it should be repeated I can do that too.)
  • I cannot decipher your first sentence in the Team Option suggestions :I
  • I mentioned Gyarados, not Mega Gyarados. Should I add another sentence that says "Don't use Mega Gyarados though cause EQ" ?
  • It does hate Landorus-T cause like I said earlier it can't KO it w/o Life Orb :c I did replace Skymin w/ Conkledurr though
In general, I think the way you think Raikou plays isn't very accurate; it's not meant to lure Ground-type (though it can), it's more meant to be a counter / check to Flying- and Electric-types like Thundurus. For example, on my minitour team, I used to deal with both Flying- and Electric-types, both of whom really got to my team. I mean if you want an Electric-type that walls Ground-types you may as well use Rotom-W since it doesn't lose 50% of its health in order to check them, and can actually counter them (unlike Raikou, who can't switch into an EQ or else it wastes its Shuca ;_;)

Regardless, everything else was implemented; thanks! :D

Well that's the only point of using Shuca Berry :o If you just want a Flying- and Electric-type check, Sitrus is a much more reliable item slash.

Also you mention Mega Gyarados in the fourth bullet of team options

The first bullet implies that Raikou had the objective to lure Ground-types so I guess it is irrelevant.

Well that's the only point of using Shuca Berry :o If you just want a Flying- and Electric-type check, Sitrus is a much more reliable item slash.

Also you mention Mega Gyarados in the fourth bullet of team options

The first bullet implies that Raikou had the objective to lure Ground-types so I guess it is irrelevant.
Shuca lets it do both as well as beat Chomp, but that's not the general purpose of this set, which is to beat Flying- and Electric-types.

Fixed.

Like idk should Shuca go? I've never really found Sitrus all that useful tbh since you already take very little damage from their attacks anyways while being able to live an EQ and attack is nice. Like even weakening Scarf Lando-T is helpful, or living one of its attacks and KOing its partner. It's just that I don't want this to be written so people think Shuca Raikou beats Scarf Lando-T cause it doesn't :x

It's not like Raikou only fights Electric and Flying types ever, Sitrus will be useful against the many other Pokes it might end up against.

Raikou beats Garchomp anyway

Plus taking 60% from a Landorus-T or Garchomp and dealing ~90% damage back is a win in my book, even if it is forced out next turn by scarf landoge. Shuca Raikou shouldnt be switching into EQs. Ground-types switch into it cause its Electric and get donked in the face when EQ doesn't KO.

It's not like Raikou only fights Electric and Flying types ever, Sitrus will be useful against the many other Pokes it might end up against.

Raikou beats Garchomp anyway

Plus taking 60% from a Landorus-T or Garchomp and dealing ~90% damage back is a win in my book, even if it is forced out next turn by scarf landoge. Shuca Raikou shouldnt be switching into EQs. Ground-types switch into it cause its Electric and get donked in the face when EQ doesn't KO.
Yeah I agree I just don't think we should be talking about how "Lando gets raped by Shuca Raikou" when in reality Lando wins the 1v1 matchup.

Also Raikou only beats Chomp w/ Shuca :o

252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 276-328 (77 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 416-492 (127.2 - 150.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

;;;;

Also you said in your suggestions that Shuca allows it to switch into Chomp's EQ so... ideekay @_@

tbh i though hp ice OHKOed Chomp. but real talk, since this is doubles, it's near impossible to switch in safely and partners exist, so reducing Landorus-T and Chomp to 10% prevents them from doing their jobs anyway.

But fien dont say it beats rapes scarf landoge, just say Raikou lets it cripple it beyond repair so it can't handle the stuff (like Physical attackers/heatran, [from the first bullet that you asked about earlier]) it wants to check later game.

Our perspectives on this are way different lol but still thanks for your hard work QC 2/3 write it up

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
LightningLuxray this is actually p. decent. only thing is that in the Moves section there needs to be some actual examples and such. Stuff like "hitting Flying- and Water-types hard" won't really cut it. Not sure how this went so long w/o comment but if youre still interested in doing this just do that and retag me and ill get back to it

Just a few tiny things that stuck out to me in this:

You don't need to specify in Set Details that Landorus-T is physical. It should always be physical.

"Pokemon that hate Electric-types such as Talonflame and Gyarados appreciate Raikou's ability to wall them and weaken their Special Attack with Snarl." could you reword this. to me it originally sounded like you were listing talonflame and gyarados as electric types and that raikou could wall them (which it cant). "Pokemon such as Talonflame and Gyarados appreciate Raikou's ability to wall Electric-type Pokemon and weaken their Special Attack with Snarl." sounds much clearer.

In OO, Snarl doesn't half the damage it 1/3's it also.

Your writeups are my fav :>

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
At first glance, there seems very little reason to use Raikou over Mega Manectric in Doubles. This is because Mega Manectric boasts a larger Speed and Special Attack stat, Intimidate, and Flamethrower. However, Raikou does have a lot of redeeming qualities over Mega Manectric, such as better special bulk and the fact that it doesn't take up a Mega slot. Raikou's Electric typing also makes it a great answer to many of the Flying- and Electric-types in the tier, such as Togekiss and Thundurus. Snarl, when combined with Raikou's already good special bulk, helps it wall a good amount of special attackers without much trouble. However, while Raikou does have good special bulk, it unfortunately has very low physical bulk, making it quite easy to take out on the physical side. It is also outclassed by Mega Manectric a good amount of the time, and should only really be chosen if your team is already utilizing a Mega Evolution.
Special Attacker
#############
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Snarl
move 4: Protect / Volt Switch
item: Shuca Berry / Assault Vest
evs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
nature: Timid
Moves
========
Thunderbolt is Raikou's for a main STAB attack, hitting Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Politoed hard. Hidden Power Ice forms a pseudo-BoltBeam combination with Thunderbolt, hitting Pokemon such as Garchomp that can take a Thunderbolt. Snarl is a great move for weakening the attacks of common special attackers, allowing Raikou to become atank more special tankhits. Protect is great in the last spot for avoiding spread moves such as Earthquake, punishing double targeting, stalling field conditions, and scouting. However, if Assault Vest is being used, Volt Switch should be used in the last spot to help switch out of unfavorable situations while also getting off chip damage and momentum.
Set Details
===========
The EV spread with a Timid nature is used for as much power as possible, and ensures Raikou will outspeed Pokemon such as Mega Lucario and Thundurus. Shuca Berry is the preferred item, as it allows Raikou to afford to take an Earthquake comfortably and attack. It also allows Raikou to lure Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Garchomp and hit them with Hidden Power Ice, as well as safely switch into the latter. Assault Vest can also be used, as it gives Raikou even more special bulk. It does mean you can't use Protect, however, leaving you susceptible to Earthquake. Life Orb, while not on the set, can be used to guarantee certain OHKOs, such as Hidden Power Ice OHKOing non-Yatche Garchomp, Thunderbolt OHKOing Mega Charizard Y, and Hidden Power Ice OHKOing Pphysically O offensive Landorus-T. It does, however, cut into Raikou's health, and means it will take Life Orb recoil every time it uses Snarl.
Usage Tips
============
Raikou is best brought in on Flying- and Electric-types such as Togekiss and Thundurus, as it can come out and wall these Pokemon with relative ease. Snarl should be used often if your opponent has special attackers out, as it can cripple them and make it easier for your teammates to attack or set up. Be careful of Defiant users, however, such as Bisharp, however, as it will receive a +2 Attack boost from Snarl. Residual damage can rack up quickly due to Raikou's lack of reliable recovery, so try to keep Raikou as healthy as possible during the match. If Assault Vest is being used, you need to know when to Volt Switch and when to switch out directly. You also must be wary of Earthquake, as you can no longer use Protect to block it.
Team Options
=============
Pokemon such as Shaymin-S and Breloom hate Flying-types, and appreciate Raikou's ability to deal with them, making them good partners. Pokemon that hate Electric-types such as Talonflame and Gyarados appreciate Raikou's ability to wall them and weaken their Special Attack with Snarl. Wide Guard support is helpful, especially if Raikou is holding an Assault Vest, as it allows Raikou to avoid Earthquake, with Hitmontop and Aegislash being good users of the move. Mega Evolutions are usually partnered with Raikou, elseas Mega Manectric usually becomeis a better option for an offensive Electric-type. Mega Kangaskhan can provide Fake Out support, while Mega Charizard Y likes Raikou's ability to deal with Pokemon such as Thundurus. Pokemon such as Conkeldurr and Rotom-W can deal with the Ground-types such as Mamoswine and Excadrill, making them very helpful partners. Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp support from the likes of Hitmontop, Scrafty, Mega Gengar, and Talonflame, respectively, all help Raikou take physical attacks much easier.
Other Options
###########
Sitrus Berry is a good option, as it can heal off residual damage Raikou takes throughout the match. Light Screen and Reflect can be used for a fast, offensive dual screen set, though it only 1/3'thirds the damage unlike Snarl, which halves it. Substitute can be used to avoid status and allow Raikou to take a hit, though Protect usually offers overall better utility. Hidden Power Grass hits normal counters to Raikou such as Gastrodon and Rhyperior hard, though it has little utility outside of that. Discharge is a spread move that has a good chance to paralyze, though it hits your partner Pokemon as well. Calm Mind can boost Raikou's Special Attack and Special Defense to make it both powerful and bulky, though it's hard to set up with such poor physical bulk, and is easily revenge killed by Choice Scarf Landorus-T. Thunder Wave cripples faster attackers, though Thundurus does this better thanks to Prankster. Choice Specs can be used for serious power, though being locked into something like Snarl isn't very good. Rain Dance can be used in combination with Thunder for great power, though Thundurus tends to do this better thanks to Prankster.
Checks & Counters
##############
**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Excadrill, Mamoswine, Rhyperior, and Choice Scarf Landorus-T can easily hit Raikou with a STAB super effective Earthquake while being immune to Thunderbolt. Choice Scarf Landorus-T will come out severely weakened and sometimes even KO'ed from an encounter with Shuca Berry Raikou. Ground-types holding a Yatche Berry such as defensive Landorus-T and Garchomp can also take a Hidden Power Ice and OHKO back with Earthquake back. Bulky Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Ferrothorn take minimal damage from Raikou's attacks and can Spore, Power Whip, or Gyro Ball back, respectively. Amoonguss can also use Rage Powder to redirect Raikou's attacks, making it an even better partner. Kyurem-B also takes nothing from Raikou's attacks and can set up a Substitute, though it doesn't like Snarl.
**Speed Control**: Trick Room can use Raikou's large Speed stat against it, allowing for other slow, powerful attackers to outspeed and KO it. Good Trick Room setters include Cresselia, Aromatisse, and Gourgeist. Tailwind from the likes of Zapdos, Togekiss, and Suicune can also allow for other Pokemon to outspeed and KO Raikou. However, do note that Raikou can hit the majority of Tailwind users for super effective damage, and most also dislike Snarl. Finally, Icy Wind from the likes of Cresselia can also slow Raikou down to the point where other Pokemon can outspeed and take it out.
**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defensive such as Tyranitar, Assault Vest Conkeldurr, Mega Kangaskhan, and Assault Vest Scrafty can sponge an attack with relative ease and fire back with a STAB attack. Rotom-H resists both of Raikou's attacks and can beat it 1v1 thanks to Will-O-Wisp, though it hates Snarl. In general, though, Raikou's lack of reliable recovery means two or three neutral hits will take it down.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

At first glance, there seems very little reason to use Raikou over Mega Manectric in Doubles. This is because Mega Manectric boasts Intimidate, Flamethrower, and a larger higher Speed and Special Attack stats, Intimidate, and Flamethrower. However, Raikou does have a lot of redeeming qualities over Mega Manectric, such as better special bulk and the fact that it doesn't take up a Mega slot. Raikou's Electric typing also makes it a great answer to many of the Flying- and Electric-types in the tier, such as Togekiss and Thundurus. Snarl, when combined with Raikou's already good special bulk, helps it wall a good amount of special attackers without much trouble. However, while Raikou does have good special bulk, it unfortunately has very low physical bulk, making it quite easy to take out on the physical side. It is also outclassed by Mega Manectric a good amount of the time, and it should only really be chosen if your team is already utilizing a Mega Evolution.

Special Attacker
#############
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Snarl
move 4: Protect / Volt Switch
item: Shuca Berry / Assault Vest
evs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Raikou's main STAB attack, hitting Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Politoed hard. Hidden Power Ice forms a pseudo-BoltBeam combination with Thunderbolt, hitting Pokemon such as Garchomp that can take a Thunderbolt. Snarl is a great move for weakening the attacks of common special attackers, allowing Raikou to more easily take special hits. Protect is great in the last spot for avoiding spread moves such as Earthquake, punishing double targeting, stalling field conditions, and scouting. However, If Assault Vest is used, Volt Switch should be used in the last spot to help switch out of unfavorable situations while also getting off chip damage and gaining momentum.

Set Details
===========

The EV spread with a Timid nature is used for as much power as possible, and ensures ensuring that Raikou will outspeed Pokemon such as Mega Lucario and Thundurus. Shuca Berry is the preferred item, as it allows Raikou to afford to comfortably take an Earthquake comfortably and attack. It also allows Raikou to lure Garchomp and Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Garchomp (keep as is if both are Choice Scarf) and hit them with Hidden Power Ice, as well as safely switch into the latter. Assault Vest can also be used, as it gives Raikou even more special bulk. It does mean you that Raikou can't use Protect, however, leaving you it susceptible to Earthquake. Life Orb, while not on the set, can be used to guarantee certain OHKOs, such as Hidden Power Ice OHKOing non-Yache Berry Garchomp, Thunderbolt OHKOing Mega Charizard Y, and Hidden Power Ice OHKOing Landorus-T. It does, however, cut into Raikou's health, and means it will and make it take Life Orb recoil every time it uses Snarl.

Usage Tips
============

Raikou is best brought in on Flying- and Electric-types such as Togekiss and Thundurus, as it can come out and wall these Pokemon with relative ease. Snarl should be used often if your opponent has special attackers out, as it can cripple them and make it easier for your teammates to attack or set up. Be careful of Defiant users such as Bisharp, however, as it they will receive a +2 Attack boost from Snarl. Residual damage can rack up quickly due to Raikou's lack of reliable recovery, so try to keep Raikou as healthy as possible during the match. If Assault Vest is being used, you need to know when to Volt Switch and when to switch out directly. You also must be wary of Earthquake, as you can no longer use Protect to block it.

Team Options
=============

Pokemon such as Shaymin-S and Breloom that hate Flying-types, and appreciate Raikou's ability to deal with them, making them good partners. Pokemon such as Talonflame and Gyarados appreciate Raikou's ability to wall Electric-types and weaken lower their Special Attack with Snarl. Wide Guard support from Hitmontop or Aegislash is helpful, especially if Raikou is holding an Assault Vest, as it allows Raikou to avoid Earthquake, with Hitmontop and Aegislash being good users of the move. Mega Evolutions are usually partnered with Raikou, as Mega Manectric is a better option for a fast, offensive Electric-type otherwise. Mega Kangaskhan can provide Fake Out support, while Mega Charizard Y likes Raikou's ability to deal with Electric-type Pokemon such as Thundurus. Pokemon such as Conkeldurr and Rotom-W can deal with the Ground-types such as Mamoswine and Excadrill that threaten Raikou, making them very helpful partners. Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp support from the likes of Hitmontop, Scrafty, Mega Gengar, and Talonflame, respectively, all helps Raikou take physical attacks much easier.

Other Options
###########

Sitrus Berry is a good option, as it can heal off residual damage Raikou takes throughout the match. Light Screen and Reflect can be used for a fast, offensive dual screens set. Substitute can be used to avoid status and allow Raikou to take a hit, though Protect usually offers overall better utility. Hidden Power Grass hits deals lots of damage to normal counters to Raikou, (comma) such as Gastrodon and Rhyperior, (comma) hard, though it has little utility outside of that. Discharge is a spread move that has a good chance to paralyze, though it hits your RAikou's partner Pokemon as well. Calm Mind can boost Raikou's Special Attack and Special Defense to make it both powerful and bulky, though it's hard to set up with such poor physical bulk, and it is easily revenge killed by Choice Scarf Landorus-T. Thunder Wave cripples faster attackers, though Thundurus does this better thanks to Prankster. Choice Specs can be used for serious power, though being locked into something like Snarl isn't very good. Rain Dance can be used in combination with Thunder for great power, though Thundurus tends to do this better thanks to Prankster.

Checks & Counters
##############

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Excadrill, Mamoswine, Rhyperior, and Choice Scarf Landorus-T can easily hit Raikou with a STAB super effective Earthquake while being and are immune to Thunderbolt. However, Choice Scarf Landorus-T will come out severely weakened and sometimes even KOed from an encounter with Shuca Berry Raikou. Ground-types holding a Yache Berry such as defensive Landorus-T and Garchomp (if these examples are absolutely necessary, keep them and set them off with commas) can also take a Hidden Power Ice and OHKO back with Earthquake. Bulky Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Ferrothorn take minimal damage from Raikou's attacks and can Spore, Power Whip, or Gyro Ball back, respectively. Amoonguss can also use Rage Powder to redirect Raikou's attacks, making it an even better check partner. Kyurem-B also takes nothing from Raikou's attacks and can set up a Substitute, though it doesn't like Snarl.

**Speed Control**: Trick Room can use Raikou's large high Speed stat against it, allowing for other slow, powerful attackers to outspeed and KO it. Good Trick Room setters include Cresselia, Aromatisse, and Gourgeist. Tailwind from the likes of Zapdos, Togekiss, and Suicune can also allow for other Pokemon to outspeed and KO Raikou. However, do note that Raikou can hit the majority of Tailwind users for super effective damage, and most Tailwind setters also dislike Snarl. Finally, Icy Wind from the likes of Cresselia can also slow Raikou down to the point where other Pokemon can outspeed and take it out.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defense such as Tyranitar, Assault Vest Conkeldurr, Mega Kangaskhan, and Assault Vest Scrafty can sponge an attack with relative ease and fire back with a STAB attack. Rotom-H resists both of Raikou's attacks and can beat it 1v1 thanks to Will-O-Wisp, though it hates Snarl. In general, though, Raikou's lack of reliable recovery means two or three neutral hits will take it down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)