Doubles Raikou

QC Checks: Darkmalice, Lolk, Audiosurfer
GP Checks: fleurdyleurse, frenzyplant

Overview
########

At first glance, there seems very little reason to use Raikou over Mega Manectric in Doubles. This is because Mega Manectric boasts Intimidate, Flamethrower, and higher Speed and Special Attack stats. However, Raikou does have a lot of redeeming qualities over Mega Manectric, such as better special bulk and the fact that it doesn't take up a Mega slot. Raikou's Electric typing makes it a great answer to many of the Flying- and Electric-types in the tier, such as Togekiss and Thundurus. Snarl, when combined with Raikou's already good special bulk, helps it wall a good amount of special attackers without much trouble. However, while Raikou does have good special bulk, it unfortunately has very low physical bulk, making it quite easy to take out on the physical side. It is also outclassed by Mega Manectric a good amount of the time, and it should only really be chosen if your team is already utilizing a Mega Evolution.

Special Attacker
#########
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Snarl
move 4: Protect / Volt Switch
item: Shuca Berry / Assault Vest
evs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Raikou's main STAB attack, hitting Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Politoed hard. Hidden Power Ice forms a pseudo-BoltBeam combination with Thunderbolt, hitting Pokemon such as Garchomp that can take a Thunderbolt. Snarl is a great move for weakening the attacks of common special attackers, allowing Raikou to more easily take special hits. Protect is great in the last spot for avoiding spread moves such as Earthquake, punishing double targeting, stalling field conditions, and scouting. If Assault Vest is used, Volt Switch should be used in the last spot to help switch out of unfavorable situations while also getting off chip damage and gaining momentum.

Set Details
========

The EV spread with a Timid nature is used for as much power as possible, ensuring that Raikou will outspeed Pokemon such as Mega Lucario and Thundurus. Shuca Berry is the preferred item, as it allows Raikou to comfortably take an Earthquake and attack. It also allows Raikou to lure Garchomp and Choice Scarf Landorus-T and hit them with Hidden Power Ice, as well as safely switch into the latter. Assault Vest can also be used, as it gives Raikou even more special bulk. It does mean that Raikou can't use Protect, however, leaving it susceptible to Earthquake. Life Orb, while not on the set, can be used to guarantee certain OHKOs, such as Hidden Power Ice OHKOing non-Yache Berry Garchomp, Thunderbolt OHKOing Mega Charizard Y, and Hidden Power Ice OHKOing Landorus-T. It does, however, cut into Raikou's health and make it take Life Orb recoil every time it uses Snarl.

Usage Tips
========

Raikou is best brought in on Flying- and Electric-types such as Togekiss and Thundurus, as it can wall these Pokemon with relative ease. Snarl should be used often if your opponent has special attackers out, as it can cripple them and make it easier for your teammates to attack or set up. Be careful of Defiant users such as Bisharp, however, as they will receive a +2 Attack boost from Snarl. Residual damage can rack up quickly due to Raikou's lack of reliable recovery, so try to keep Raikou as healthy as possible during the match. If Assault Vest is being used, you need to know when to Volt Switch and when to switch out directly. You also must be wary of Earthquake, as you can no longer use Protect to block it.

Team Options
=============

Pokemon such as Shaymin-S and Breloom appreciate Raikou's ability to threaten Flying-types. Pokemon such as Talonflame and Gyarados appreciate Raikou's ability to wall Electric-types and lower their Special Attack with Snarl. Wide Guard support from Hitmontop or Aegislash is helpful, especially if Raikou is holding an Assault Vest, as it allows Raikou to avoid Earthquake. Mega Evolutions are usually partnered with Raikou, as Mega Manectric is a better option for a fast, offensive Electric-type otherwise. Mega Kangaskhan can provide Fake Out support, while Mega Charizard Y likes Raikou's ability to deal with Electric-type Pokemon such as Thundurus. Pokemon such as Conkeldurr and Rotom-W can deal with the Ground-types such as Mamoswine and Excadrill that threaten Raikou, making them very helpful partners. Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp support from the likes of Hitmontop, Scrafty, Mega Gengar, and Talonflame helps Raikou take physical attacks much easier.

Other Options
########

Sitrus Berry is a good option, as it can heal off residual damage Raikou takes throughout the match. Light Screen and Reflect can be used for a fast, offensive dual screen set. Substitute can be used to avoid status and allow Raikou to take a hit, though Protect usually offers overall better utility. Hidden Power Grass hits normal counters to Raikou such as Gastrodon and Rhyperior, though it has little utility outside of that. Discharge is a spread move that has a good chance to paralyze, though it hits Raikou's partner Pokemon as well. Calm Mind can boost Raikou's Special Attack and Special Defense to make it both powerful and bulky, though it's hard to set up with such poor physical bulk, and it is easily revenge killed by Choice Scarf Landorus-T. Thunder Wave cripples faster attackers, though Thundurus does this better thanks to Prankster. Choice Specs can be used for serious power, though it misses out on the utility of Snarl and Protect. Rain Dance can be used in combination with Thunder for great power, though Thundurus tends to do this better thanks to Prankster.

Checks & Counters
########

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Excadrill, Mamoswine, Rhyperior, and Choice Scarf Landorus-T can easily hit Raikou with a STAB super effective Earthquake and are immune to Thunderbolt. However, Choice Scarf Landorus-T will come out severely weakened and sometimes even KOed from an encounter with Shuca Berry Raikou. Ground-types holding a Yache Berry such as defensive Landorus-T and Garchomp can also take a Hidden Power Ice and OHKO back with Earthquake. Ferrothorn can take any of Raikou's attacks and retaliate with Power Whip. Kyurem-B also takes nothing from Raikou's attacks and can set up a Substitute, though it doesn't like Snarl.

**Speed Control**: Trick Room can use Raikou's high Speed stat against it, allowing for slow, powerful attackers to outspeed and KO it. Good Trick Room setters include Cresselia, Aromatisse, and Gourgeist. Tailwind from the likes of Zapdos, Togekiss, and Suicune can also allow for other Pokemon to outspeed and KO Raikou. However, do note that Raikou can hit the majority of Tailwind users for super effective damage, and most dislike Snarl. Finally, Icy Wind from the likes of Cresselia can also slow Raikou down to the point where other Pokemon can outspeed and take it out.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defense such as Tyranitar, Assault Vest Conkeldurr, Mega Kangaskhan, and Assault Vest Scrafty can sponge an attack with relative ease and fire back with a STAB attack. Amoonguss can use Rage Powder to redirect Raikou's attacks, making it a very reliable check. Rotom-H resists both of Raikou's attacks and can beat it 1v1 thanks to Will-O-Wisp, though it hates Snarl. In general, though, Raikou's lack of reliable recovery means two or three neutral hits will take it down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I recommend changing the EV spread to 28 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Speed to outrun Thundurus-I and Modest Shaymin-S. You're not outspeeding anything significant with more Speed. 8 in Def, as increasing Speed means you increase burn and Leech Seed damage.

• Pokemon that hate Electric-types such as Talonflame and Gyarados appreciate Raikou's ability to wall them
Also add lowering their Special Attack with Snarl.

Can add Mega Zard Y to the Mega Evo teammates, as it doesn't like Electric-types

Add to Team Options Pokemon who can deal with Ground-types. I'll let you choose the teammates.

Add Volt Switch, Specs, and Sitrus to OO

Counters
when mentioning that Tailwind users don't like being hit super-effectively, can also add they don't like Snarl.

Amoonguss can redirect Tbolt with Rage Powder.

Add notable users of Icy Wind and Electroweb - Cresselia and Rotom-H. Rotom-H resists TBolt and can hit back with Overheat, doesn't like Snarl but will win 1v1 thanks to WoW, can add to defensive

I recommend changing the EV spread to 28 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Speed to outrun Thundurus-I and Modest Shaymin-S. You're not outspeeding anything significant with more Speed. 8 in Def, as increasing Speed means you increase burn and Leech Seed damage.

Also add lowering their Special Attack with Snarl.

Can add Mega Zard Y to the Mega Evo teammates, as it doesn't like Electric-types

Add to Team Options Pokemon who can deal with Ground-types. I'll let you choose the teammates.

Add Volt Switch, Specs, and Sitrus to OO

Counters
when mentioning that Tailwind users don't like being hit super-effectively, can also add they don't like Snarl.

Amoonguss can redirect Tbolt with Rage Powder.

Add notable users of Icy Wind and Electroweb - Cresselia and Rotom-H. Rotom-H resists TBolt and can hit back with Overheat, doesn't like Snarl but will win 1v1 thanks to WoW, can add to defensive
Ok, it's all done, though do note I gave it 232 Speed to outspeed Jolly / Timid Mega Lucario.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good idea. In that case, I recommend 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe. The point of the original Def EVs was to avoid the HP stat reaching 328 (x8 multiplier). With 24 HP it reaches 327 HP; there's no need for Def EVs.

To get the ball rolling

QC 1/3

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Maybe it's just my lack of experience with Raikou, but I'm having a seriously hard time seeing why it would be used over Manectric, Thundurus, Zapdos, etc. It seems to me Weather Ball would be one of the best reasons to do so. That definitely needs to get on this analysis somewhere, if not on the set itself.

Maybe it's just my lack of experience with Raikou, but I'm having a seriously hard time seeing why it would be used over Manectric, Thundurus, Zapdos, etc. It seems to me Weather Ball would be one of the best reasons to do so. That definitely needs to get on this analysis somewhere, if not on the set itself.
Like I've said in the analysis, you'd use it because of it's high base Speed, Snarl, and the fact that it doesn't take up a Mega slot, something that neither of those three can boast. Here's a post Darkmalice made on it awhile back

I don't really think Weather Ball is set worthy, though I'll make it OO.

Last edited:

Matt

Maybe monads might not matter
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Snarl

I really like this set for Raikou: I find the extra special defense from AV and the ability to scout switches more helpful than Protect.

Fast Pokémon like Raikou can get away with Volt Switch/U-Turn instead of Protect, if you're willing to attack the thing you're most afraid of being hit by, and not the thing you can hit the hardest.

Plus, with Intimidate or Reflect support and just one weakness, you can often just tank attacks.

I don't think Life Orb is such a great item for Raikou, especially with chip damage moves like Snarl. I often use Raikou as a kind of punching bag since it has just one weakness and decent defenses. It doesn't have the coverage to make bleeding out worth it.

Last edited:
Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Snarl

I really like this set for Raikou: I find the extra special defense from AV and the ability to scout switches more helpful than Protect.

Fast Pokémon like Raikou can get away with Volt Switch/U-Turn instead of Protect, if you're willing to attack the thing you're most afraid of being hit by, and not the thing you can hit the hardest.

Plus, with Intimidate or Reflect support and just one weakness, you can often just tank attacks.

I don't think Life Orb is such a great item for Raikou, especially with chip damage moves like Snarl.
I'm sorry, while I like this set, I don't think forgoing Protect on Raikou is really a good idea. You say it can just Volt Switch out, but Choice Scarf Landorus-T is the most common user of Earthquake atm, who can easily outspeed and deal with Raikou. There's also the fact that Volt Switch doesn't effect Ground-types, meaning the opponent can just Protect with one mon (which they most likely will if they're going for Earthquake) and then Earthquake with the other. I can see where the bulk is helpful, but I don't think I'd make it a main set. It's definitely interesting enough for OO though :]

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I was shown this on irc so I'd like to leave a few comments I think would be helpful for the analysis.

Generally outclassed by Mega Manectric, who boast Intimidate, Flamethrower, and better Speed and Special Attack.
Remove this. You already mention megatric in the overview and I don't think this is true since Raikou's access to an item is significant.

• Pokemon which hate Flying-types such as Shaymin-S and Breloom, appreciate Raikou's ability to deal with them.
  • Pokemon that hate Electric-types such as Talonflame and Gyarados appreciate Raikou's ability to wall them and lower their Special Attack with Snarl.
Breloom isn't Flying type and I don't think Raikou helps against Breloom more than other fast things, really. I wouldn't really mention "ability to wall" when Talonflame and Gyarados do large amounts to Raikou because of it's lower physical defense, its an offensive check put more emphasis on that. Furthermore, I don't like LO on this set. Raikou enjoys its health/bulk and things like LO Snarl aren't helping with that. If you want an alternate item it may be something as simple as Sitrus Berry.

I like matt's set and think that should be added to the main analysis. From the scenario you've laid out it sounds like your main worry is EQ and the lack of Protect but Raikou can just go for the raw switch over the Volt Switch if its partner can't prevent Raikou from being hit in the first place. There is a lot of room in doubles to avoid the EQ and I think it isn't as big a worry as you make it out to be. matt's set is definitely analysis worthy.

I was shown this on irc so I'd like to leave a few comments I think would be helpful for the analysis.

Remove this. You already mention megatric in the overview and I don't think this is true since Raikou's access to an item is significant.

Breloom isn't Flying type and I don't think Raikou helps against Breloom more than other fast things, really. I wouldn't really mention "ability to wall" when Talonflame and Gyarados do large amounts to Raikou because of it's lower physical defense, its an offensive check put more emphasis on that. Furthermore, I don't like LO on this set. Raikou enjoys its health/bulk and things like LO Snarl aren't helping with that. If you want an alternate item it may be something as simple as Sitrus Berry.

I like matt's set and think that should be added to the main analysis. From the scenario you've laid out it sounds like your main worry is EQ and the lack of Protect but Raikou can just go for the raw switch over the Volt Switch if its partner can't prevent Raikou from being hit in the first place. There is a lot of room in doubles to avoid the EQ and I think it isn't as big a worry as you make it out to be. Definitely analysis worthy.
The first part I'm going to keep because I think their needs to be mention what other Pokemon can do better. I'll re-word it, but I feel as though if their is another Pokemon that give Raikou competition, it should be mentioned.

I like Life Orb. I understand Raikou's meant to be a bulky attacker, but being able to actually OHKO Pokemon such as Garchomp is really helpful imo. I'll move it down to Set Details though because I agree it does have some downsides.

I understand what you're talking about, but I feel as though the ability to just stay in and Protect (Or use LO HP Ice to OHKO the target) is generally superior to having to hard switch. Here's what I'll do; I'll slash AV as an item and slash Volt Switch with Protect, because I do feel as though AV does sound like a helpful item.

Darkmalice

Level 3
  • Pokemon which hate Flying-types such as Shaymin-S and Breloom, appreciate Raikou's ability to deal with them.
  • Pokemon that hate Electric-types such as Talonflame and Gyarados appreciate Raikou's ability to wall them and lower their Special Attack with Snarl.
You've misinterpreted what he's said

Attachments

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Oh ok I did misread that, my bad. I think I would reword that so "Raikou's ability to deal with" goes first since I think the focus lands on the mons mentioned over Raikou itself.

The first part I'm going to keep because I think their needs to be mention what other Pokemon can do better. I'll re-word it, but I feel as though if their is another Pokemon that give Raikou competition, it should be mentioned.

I like Life Orb. I understand Raikou's meant to be a bulky attacker, but being able to actually OHKO Pokemon such as Garchomp is really helpful imo. I'll move it down to Set Details though because I agree it does have some downsides.

I understand what you're talking about, but I feel as though the ability to just stay in and Protect (Or use LO HP Ice to OHKO the target) is generally superior to having to hard switch. Here's what I'll do; I'll slash AV as an item and slash Volt Switch with Protect, because I do feel as though AV does sound like a helpful item.
You already mentioned things that seem to outclass so I don't think you need to mention again.

Does LO help score any KOs other than Garchomp? I think the bulk goes farther than the power in this case. If you're going the slashing route I'd just remove LO and put AV there. Life Orb seems more OO than things like Volt Switch, AV, and Sitrus.

Oh ok I did misread that, my bad. I think I would reword that so "Raikou's ability to deal with" goes first since I think the focus lands on the mons mentioned over Raikou itself.

You already mentioned things that seem to outclass I don't think you need to mention it more than once, especially considering how a Mega is used in your initial description.

Does LO help score any KOs other than Garchomp? I think the bulk goes farther than the power in this case. If you're going the slashing route I'd just remove LO and put AV there. Life Orb seems more OO than things like Volt Switch, AV, and Sitrus.
252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 240-284 (80.5 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 312-369 (104.6 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 292-344 (80 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 380-447 (104.1 - 122.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That's about it. Even though those are two S-Rank threats, still probably OO.

<@Lolk> also for this raikou set
<@Lolk> isn't light screen > snarl
<~Mizuhime> depends
<~Mizuhime> on wutchu wanna use
<~Mizuhime> lightscreen is more reliable
<~Mizuhime> i've never used dogkou tho
<@Lolk> me neither
<@Lolk> but i think dual screens kou is swaggy
<~Mizuhime> laga you horse
<~Mizuhime> do you use snarl or ls
<@TOTEM> Snarl
<@TOTEM> goes through subs
<@TOTEM> but other than that
<@TOTEM> I' say Light Screen > Snarl
<@Lolk> light screen goes through subs
<@Lolk> technically
<@Lolk> as in a sub opp will still do puny damage
<@Lolk> totem do you think dual screens Kou is the best niche
<@Lolk> tbolt reflect lightscreen hpice/protect
<@Laga> snarl or wat
<@Laga> ls???
<@TOTEM> uuuh
<~Mizuhime> if you're using reflect i'd say snarl
<~Mizuhime> light screen
<@TOTEM> I don't really like / use raikou
<@Lolk> o yea so taunt doesnt suck ass
<@TOTEM> but I like Rain Dance
<@Laga> oh
<@TOTEM> from what I've seen
<@TOTEM> clutch move
<@Lolk> well
<@Lolk> nothing wants to taunt a raikou really
<@TOTEM> yeah
<~Mizuhime> if it has duel screens im taunting it lol
<@Lolk> well after it reveals screens
<@Lolk> but then you can just Tbolt whatever is taunting it
<@Lolk> 252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 240-284 (80.5 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
<@Lolk> weak ass
<@Lolk> also if it uses snarl > light screen
<@Lolk> it misses out on light clay

Light Screen > Snarl because it halves damage instead of 1/3 and will last even when the opps switch out. It is not like any Taunt users (Gyarados, Thundurus) want to stay in and risk a Thunderbolt. Even if they resist Tbolt, Raikou has the niche of a fast screener so it can get up both screens before they Taunt it (assuming they don't go for a random Taunt first turn).

I picture it something like this:

Offensive Dual Screens
########
name: Offensive Dual Screens
move 2: Reflect
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Protect
item: Light Clay / Sitrus Berry
evs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe

The EVs outspeed the musketeers making it easy to set up a reflect on Terrakion's ass or to attack Keldeo first. I also see it setting up a Reflect on Landoge or Garchomp switching in on a Tbolt, tanking an Earthquake, and KOing with Hidden Power Ice :O. You can keep the old spread if you want, but imo Mega Lucario is too uncommon and Raikou shrugs off Thundurus anyway.

Ass Vest is cool and all but I feel like this set offers much more to the team.

I'm leaving for a week soon, so just keep discussing, and whatever works out is fine; this is my suggestion tho :>

<@Lolk> also for this raikou set
<@Lolk> isn't light screen > snarl
<~Mizuhime> depends
<~Mizuhime> on wutchu wanna use
<~Mizuhime> lightscreen is more reliable
<~Mizuhime> i've never used dogkou tho
<@Lolk> me neither
<@Lolk> but i think dual screens kou is swaggy
<~Mizuhime> laga you horse
<~Mizuhime> do you use snarl or ls
<@TOTEM> Snarl
<@TOTEM> goes through subs
<@TOTEM> but other than that
<@TOTEM> I' say Light Screen > Snarl
<@Lolk> light screen goes through subs
<@Lolk> technically
<@Lolk> as in a sub opp will still do puny damage
<@Lolk> totem do you think dual screens Kou is the best niche
<@Lolk> tbolt reflect lightscreen hpice/protect
<@Laga> snarl or wat
<@Laga> ls???
<@TOTEM> uuuh
<~Mizuhime> if you're using reflect i'd say snarl
<~Mizuhime> light screen
<@TOTEM> I don't really like / use raikou
<@Lolk> o yea so taunt doesnt suck ass
<@TOTEM> but I like Rain Dance
<@Laga> oh
<@TOTEM> from what I've seen
<@TOTEM> clutch move
<@Lolk> well
<@Lolk> nothing wants to taunt a raikou really
<@TOTEM> yeah
<~Mizuhime> if it has duel screens im taunting it lol
<@Lolk> well after it reveals screens
<@Lolk> but then you can just Tbolt whatever is taunting it
<@Lolk> 252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 240-284 (80.5 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
<@Lolk> weak ass
<@Lolk> also if it uses snarl > light screen
<@Lolk> it misses out on light clay

Light Screen > Snarl because it halves damage instead of 1/3 and will last even when the opps switch out. It is not like any Taunt users (Gyarados, Thundurus) want to stay in and risk a Thunderbolt. Even if they resist Tbolt, Raikou has the niche of a fast screener so it can get up both screens before they Taunt it (assuming they don't go for a random Taunt first turn).

I picture it something like this:

Offensive Dual Screens
########

The EVs outspeed the musketeers making it easy to set up a reflect on Terrakion's ass or to attack Keldeo first. I also see it setting up a Reflect on Landoge or Garchomp switching in on a Tbolt, tanking an Earthquake, and KOing with Hidden Power Ice :O. You can keep the old spread if you want, but imo Mega Lucario is too uncommon and Raikou shrugs off Thundurus anyway.

Ass Vest is cool and all but I feel like this set offers much more to the team.

I'm leaving for a week soon, so just keep discussing, and whatever works out is fine; this is my suggestion tho :>
Wow... Umm, do we necessarily have to give it Dual Screens? I've always found Raikou's niche to be more against special attackers, so I think this set would look better.

Offensive Support
#############
name: Offensive Support
move 2: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Protect
item: Light Clay / Shuca Berry
evs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe

Idk like I've said before I don't really like forgoing Protect, and having to go mono-attacker for it doesn't sound appealing imo. I say we give it Light Screen and then suggest like Intimidate in the Team Options. That way, we have coverage, Protect, AND Screens. Also I'm not really sure like 30 more HP EVs is worth losing to Mega Luc imo... It's just not enough bulk to be worth the sacrifice.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Laga used a set like op's on his rain team but i definitely think matt's needs a writeup too, it's like a more offensive ver. of hitlercune

But Matt since llux seems reluctant to write it up (i, too, hate bsing sets ive never used LightningLuxray) why dont u write it up yourself and we'll qc it separately then add it in here

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Dual Screens
########

The EVs outspeed the musketeers making it easy to set up a reflect on Terrakion's ass or to attack Keldeo first.
if this set makes analysis, might as well bump up speed 24 EVs to beat fast Thundurus by a points. 6 extra HP not doing a ton.

Reason being you can get a Light Screen up (or attack it) before it attacks teammate. I know Raikou isn't threatened by it, but it could save your Garchomp's life or something.

Last edited:
so awkwardsauce I totally thought screens halved damage in Doubles but they do 33% so snarl is probably the better choice with Assault Vest as a cool item slash.

Sorry for the dickings.

Overview:
  • Raikou isn't seemingly outclassed by Mega Manectric, it is usually outclassed by it.
  • Cluster your points about good special defense and snarl and generalize that Raikou can take on many of the metagame's special attackers.
  • I wouldn't call its movepool necessarily effective if it relies on Hidden Power for coverage.
Moves:
  • Protect also stalls field conditions.
  • You don't need to explain the type chart for each move. Thunderbolt is its STAB and HP Ice hits the things its STAB doesn't hit like Ground and Grass-types. EZ PZ
  • Volt Switch is for momentum gain as well.
Set Details:
  • It outspeeds and OHKOs Garchomp and Landoge with HP Ice. Specify that this set lures Scarf Landorus-T (the only other Ground Scarfers Mamo and Excadrill can tank HP Ices) and it allows Raikou to safely switch into Garchomp.
Usage Tips:
  • The first bullet isn't a usage tip, you could say something like "Raikou has the ability to switch into Electric- and Flying-types easily, so that is the best way to get it in unharmed."
  • Don't spam Snarl while Bisharp is around.
  • With no recovery, damage easily racks up, so use Raikou wisely.
  • The whole point of Shuca is so you can play mindlessly and spam its attacks while not caring about potential earthquakes.
Usage Tips:
  • Raikou doesn't typically deal with Electric- and Flying-types because they just switch out and wait for a later time to enter. Raikou deals with Ground-types like Landorus-T and Garchomp.
  • Don't spam snarl with Bisharp around :o
Team Options:
  • Practically every physical attacker Doubles like Scarf Landorus-T and stuff like Heatran likes Ground-types gone as well. Raikou also threatens Water-types that scare Heatran :p
  • You don't want Mega Gyarados as a partner because of its Mold Breaker Earthquakes :O
  • The only Ground-types it hates are Mamoswine and Excadrill (unless you specify non-Shuca) and they are checked better by stuff like Breloom and Conkeldurr.
  • Intimidate/WoW patch up its defense.
Other Options
  • All of those LO calcs are important af, so this whole bullet should probably be moved to Set Details
Checks & Counters
  • Choice Scarf Landorus-T beats non-Shuca Raikou. It gets raped by Shuca Raikou.
  • Add Mamoswine.
  • Mega Kanga can take hits and smash back.
  • I would add somewhere that because it lacks any sort of recovery, two or three neutral hits can take it down.
  • Rotom-H typically dont run Electroweb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)