Rain Dragonite Team

After some thought, I have made a team loosely centered in Dragonite (I always wanted a Dragonite in my teams). Had some struggle finding teammates for dragonite, but I fought some times and it seemed to work. Hope you guys can find the flaws (there should be an absurd amount of them) and help me build my team.

Please, do not suggest legendary pokemons (such as heatran, celebi, keldeo, latios, tornadus etc), since I would like to make a standard, non legendary team. Also don't suggest pokemons with tutor or event moves (Like defog scizor or wish blissey). No offense =)

Rain Inducer/sand/hail neutralizer

Politoed @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 hp 252 def 4 spd
Bold Nature
- scald
- focus blast
- perish song
- encore

I had good experiences with Politoed. It served me well in my other rain teams, but for this teams he is only to counter sandstorm and hail. Safety goggles help him mess up with smeargle leads, and the evs aid for his bulk. Scald offers a good burning chance for those physical attackers. Focus Blast blows up a chunk of TTar's hp, and offers some good coverage especially with ferrothorn. Perish song screws up with baton passes, and encore locks hazard and setup users.

Stealth Rock/Leech Seeder/Paralyzer/physical wall

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 hp 48 def 208 spd
Careful Nature
- power whip
- stealth rock
- leech seed
- thunder wave

The classic sturdy ferrothorn. The rocky helmet works great by punishing contact moves aimed at him. He also enjoys being in the rain by the fire damage reduction. The evs are more spdef oriented to improve his survival chances against special moves. Power whip hits hard water types expecting gyro ball. Stealth rock is my hazard of choice. Thunder wave cripples sweepers trying to set up in his face, and leech seed adds a reliable recovery for stalling.

Rapid Spinner / Sp. Attacker

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish / Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 hp 252 spa 4 spd
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

I always wanted a mega blastoise in my crew, and now that dragonite is present, a rapid spinner is necessary. Mega blastoise is bulky, and hits hard. Rain dish is good to heal some stealth rock damage before mega evolving. Modest nature makes him hit hard (But I think going for a specially defensive nature and ev spread would be better). Rapid spin is necessary to ensure dragonite's multiscale. Water pulse is boosted by politoed's rain and mega launcher, making it pack a punch (also confusing sometimes). Dark Pulse hits hard ghosts and psychic types, also offering some decent corverage. Ice beam is useful to take down dragons. I know there are better rapid spinner choices, like starmie and excadrill, but I think mega blastoise can make better use of rain and is a bit more durable than starmie.

Physical Attacker

Azumarill @ choice band

Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 atk 212 hp 44 spe
Adamant Nature
- play rough
- aqua jet
- superpower
- aqua tail

This thing is hands down a BEAST. Choice banded azumarill punch big holes in an opponent's team if there's no resistance. Play rough is the stab of choice, making a blast even in neutral damages. Aqua jet makes clean revenge kills on weakened foes. Aqua tail is used if rain is present and there are some stuff left to kill. Superpower shuts down blissey and chansey.

Physical attacker /setup sweeper

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 atk 252 spe 4 def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- X scissor
- Bullet Punch
- brick break

I almost never used scizor before, but after a swords dance, this thing becomes a steamroller. Life orb boosts his raw power. Scizor appreciates the drizzle to lessen some fire damage. Scizor can switch to some of azumarill's counters and swords dance to start the sweep. X scissor and bullet punch are the preferred stabs (though u turn is still viable). Brick break helps scizor destroy steel, rock and dark types such as ferrothorn and tyranitar.

Physical attacker /setup sweeper 2

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 atk 252 spe 4def
Adamant Nature
- dragon dance
- dragon claw
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

The "center" of the team. Even though I never used a dragonite before, I always had interest in it. Dragonite can switch into attacks that target scizor or mega blastoise and proceed to set up a dragon dance. Lum berry is used to avoid status such as will o wisp, sleep and stuff. The evs are pretty basic, ensuring him to hit hard and have enough speed. Dragon dance is the basic setup move. I prefer dragon claw instead of outrage since the appearance of fairies. Thunder punch nails azumarill, water and flying types, and earthquake hits hard steel and fire types.

Now some pros and cons

Pros:
Several setup sweepers
variety between physical and special attackers
somewhat a bulky team

Cons:
It feels like politoed and azumarill have nothing to do here
Faster dragons may oppose a threat
Mega Blastoise isn't that bulky, and lacks a reliable recovery move.

Thank you for your time and hope you can help me improve this team!

I saw your request, so here I am! This is an interesting team, but I feel that it needs to be improved. Overall, I like the ideas behind the team, but I feel many of the sets could use some work. The team is fairly weak to any strong setup sweeper, so I would look into ways of preventing that. I also see this team has a lot of potential, but can be worked on.

Your current politoed set is honestly quite pointless. Instead I would change it to Scarfed Politoed who packs decent power, but most importantly can revenge kill a slew of threats. I have no idea why you would need Safety Goggles purely to counter Sand, but it is honestly rather useless.

I would use Bulky SD Scizor over your current set, as your team is currently worn down very quickly. Bulky SD has the necessary power, but in tangent with it taking advantage of great bulk and resistances, allowing it to quickly setup and pave the way for dragonite to sweep.

Minor Changes:
Azumarill: Waterfall > Aqua Tail, since the 10 base power is barely noticable, but extra accuracy and a flinch rate is
Dragonite: Extremespeed > Thunder Punch, as thunder punch gains you no extra coverage, but extremespeed can help you beat a variety of revenge killers

Fun stuff!

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf / Hidden Power [Grass] / Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Encore / Perish Song

Scizor @ Leftovers / Iron Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite / Brick Break
- Swords Dance
- Roost

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Alright, this is not a bad team to begin with.

Politoed:

I really like the idea you're trying to build off of here - bulky rain support. I've seen similar sets to this before. Scald is a good choice, but Focus Blast may need to go. If Focus Blast is there to hurt Ferrothorn, then I understand. Ice beam may be a better choice, and with the coverage it gets, it's going to help a lot, especially in the situation where Politoed is one of the remaining pokemon you have. Perish Song is good for Phazing, keep it. Encore is awesome, also keep it. Mind I ask why Safety Goggles are there? Is it to stop moves such as spore and Sandstorm damage? I would keep it for spore or sleep powder, but it otherwise you should get rid of it. Long live rain support!

Ferrothorn:

This set is kinda fancy. I see that you want to be a little faster than usual, but it usually is better to just let Ferrothorn be as slow as can be, and use Gyro Ball alongside Power Whip for High damage. Get rid of T-Wave for that. Leech seed and Stealth Rock are both good moves, keep them. Change the EV spread to 252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk. Also be sure to change the nature to relaxed, to minimize speed. The moveset should be Gyro Ball/Power Whip/Leech Seed/Stealth Rock.

Blastoise

Mega Blastoise is awesome. There aren't any faults with this set. However, changing Ice Beam for Aura Sphere is always a smart option, as Aura Sphere is boosted by Mega Launcher. Otherwise, this is the best current set.

Azumarill

Ok, this set is seen pretty often, but it of course has a bit of flaws. Firstly, change the EV Spread to 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 SpD. Azumarill needs all the bulk it can get, and a base 100 HP stat really supports that, so don't let it go to waste. Aqua Tail is stronger than Waterfall, but Waterfall has no chance of missing, and if you (somehow) outspeed an opposing pokemon, the small flinch chance can kinda help. It doesn't matter much though, since the miss chance is small and it could help you well in some scenarios.

Scizor

Never ever ever use Life Orb on Scizor. The boost is awesome, but losing HP can suck, due to the fact that Scizor wants to be a sweeper and increase its longevity. Use a Choice Band, the boost is amazing, especially with Bullet Punch. Choice Band Bullet Punch can 2HKO most pokemon that don't resist it. Also, change that moveset completely. The best moveset for a Choice Band set is Bullet Punch/U-Turn/Pursuit/Superpower. This is because two of those moves are resisted by technician, and for Bullet Punch, STAB + Technician + Choice = Hell. Use that set.

Dragonite

Dragonite is a good pokemon. However, if you're trying to run a rain team, use either Thunder, Hurricane, or Waterfall for the Thunderpunch slot. Otherwise, looks good.

Hey! Sorry it took awhile, but here's my rate!

Firstly, I would suggest Specs on Politoad. While your current set is good, a choice specs would make Politoad a Powerful Attacker. Trust me, Rain Boosted, Specs Hydro Pump Hurts more than CharizardYs Fire Blast, any that's saying a lot.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Rain: 345-406 (101.1 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Specs also Allows Politoad to fit into your team more than just a rain setter but a hard hitter that can come in and threaten many Pokemon out.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Psychic
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Next, I would suggest replacing Water Pulse with Hydro Pump on Blastoise. I understand Water pulse gets a boost thanks to Blastoise's ability, which is very attractive, however, Hydro Pump is still stronger, and unless your worried about accuracy (you shoudnt be), Hydro Pump is Almost Always the better option.

Lastly, I would suggest Bug Bite over X-Scissor on Scizor. Thanks to a Technican, bug bite has more power, and should always be used over X-Scissor

Hope this Helped.
Good Day to Your Sir~

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
all the above where good suggestions; the only thing that i can add is the fact that your team is quite weak to charizard-y since it can 2HKO your entire team with the exception of dragonite or even OHKO afters some previous passive damage from hazards. i think in a rain team goodra would fit well with hydration and the ability to wall charizard and KO in return with thunderbolt or muddy water, try replacing azumarill with it.
goodra @ leftovers
ability:hydration
252 hp/252 Satk/4 Sdef
-rest
-draco meteor
-thunderbolt
-dragon tail/muddy water/other coverage move

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, I'm here to rate your team.

So this is a pretty cool rain team that consists of no Legendaries. I'm fine with this, as you've obviously put effort into your RMT, and if you don't want to use any specific Pokemon for whatever reason that's fine with me. So onto the rate!

So I think the overall synergy of the team is okay, however I feel that opposing Ferrothorn and other bulky Grass types really give this team trouble. I think another good idea would be to possibly make Scizor your Mega, and replace Blastoise with Starmie. Mega Scizor I think suits this team more nicely, as it provides great bulk, allowing you to switch into threats like Aegislash and Gliscor without little worry, as well as allowing you to easily set up on bulky Grass types and beat them one on one. Starmie on the other hand is a power house in Rain + Analytic, and it still supports your team with Rapid Spin support. Finally, I think with Politoed, you're probably better off going with a Defensive Politoed set with Damp Rock. I feel Politoed is there generally to keep Rain up, and take a hit or two, and Safety Goggles really aren't all that great.

Here are the sets which I think you should try out

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 104 SDef / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Rest

Well there's my rate. Hope I helped you in some way

I saw your request, so here I am! This is an interesting team, but I feel that it needs to be improved. Overall, I like the ideas behind the team, but I feel many of the sets could use some work. The team is fairly weak to any strong setup sweeper, so I would look into ways of preventing that. I also see this team has a lot of potential, but can be worked on.

Your current politoed set is honestly quite pointless. Instead I would change it to Scarfed Politoed who packs decent power, but most importantly can revenge kill a slew of threats. I have no idea why you would need Safety Goggles purely to counter Sand, but it is honestly rather useless.

I would use Bulky SD Scizor over your current set, as your team is currently worn down very quickly. Bulky SD has the necessary power, but in tangent with it taking advantage of great bulk and resistances, allowing it to quickly setup and pave the way for dragonite to sweep.

Minor Changes:
Azumarill: Waterfall > Aqua Tail, since the 10 base power is barely noticable, but extra accuracy and a flinch rate is
Dragonite: Extremespeed > Thunder Punch, as thunder punch gains you no extra coverage, but extremespeed can help you beat a variety of revenge killers

Fun stuff!

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf / Hidden Power [Grass] / Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Encore / Perish Song

Scizor @ Leftovers / Iron Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite / Brick Break
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Thank you for your suggestions. I got like 3 politoed sets, I'll try them all. The goggles were for spore smeargle, but I think ferro can handle it. And yeah, I gotta switch that aqua tail with waterfall. And that dragonite also needs that extremespeed.

Alright, this is not a bad team to begin with.

Politoed:

I really like the idea you're trying to build off of here - bulky rain support. I've seen similar sets to this before. Scald is a good choice, but Focus Blast may need to go. If Focus Blast is there to hurt Ferrothorn, then I understand. Ice beam may be a better choice, and with the coverage it gets, it's going to help a lot, especially in the situation where Politoed is one of the remaining pokemon you have. Perish Song is good for Phazing, keep it. Encore is awesome, also keep it. Mind I ask why Safety Goggles are there? Is it to stop moves such as spore and Sandstorm damage? I would keep it for spore or sleep powder, but it otherwise you should get rid of it. Long live rain support!

Ferrothorn:

This set is kinda fancy. I see that you want to be a little faster than usual, but it usually is better to just let Ferrothorn be as slow as can be, and use Gyro Ball alongside Power Whip for High damage. Get rid of T-Wave for that. Leech seed and Stealth Rock are both good moves, keep them. Change the EV spread to 252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk. Also be sure to change the nature to relaxed, to minimize speed. The moveset should be Gyro Ball/Power Whip/Leech Seed/Stealth Rock.

Blastoise

Mega Blastoise is awesome. There aren't any faults with this set. However, changing Ice Beam for Aura Sphere is always a smart option, as Aura Sphere is boosted by Mega Launcher. Otherwise, this is the best current set.

Azumarill

Ok, this set is seen pretty often, but it of course has a bit of flaws. Firstly, change the EV Spread to 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 SpD. Azumarill needs all the bulk it can get, and a base 100 HP stat really supports that, so don't let it go to waste. Aqua Tail is stronger than Waterfall, but Waterfall has no chance of missing, and if you (somehow) outspeed an opposing pokemon, the small flinch chance can kinda help. It doesn't matter much though, since the miss chance is small and it could help you well in some scenarios.

Scizor

Never ever ever use Life Orb on Scizor. The boost is awesome, but losing HP can suck, due to the fact that Scizor wants to be a sweeper and increase its longevity. Use a Choice Band, the boost is amazing, especially with Bullet Punch. Choice Band Bullet Punch can 2HKO most pokemon that don't resist it. Also, change that moveset completely. The best moveset for a Choice Band set is Bullet Punch/U-Turn/Pursuit/Superpower. This is because two of those moves are resisted by technician, and for Bullet Punch, STAB + Technician + Choice = Hell. Use that set.

Dragonite

Dragonite is a good pokemon. However, if you're trying to run a rain team, use either Thunder, Hurricane, or Waterfall for the Thunderpunch slot. Otherwise, looks good.

Yeap, those goggles were for spore and powders. There are too many politoed sets!! I followed some azumarill guide and it said the evs were necessary to outspeed blissey and Aegislash I think. The life orb in scizor needs to go. I fainted several times killing myself heheh. The rain is purely anti hail/sandstorm, so dragonite keeps his multiscale.

Hey! Sorry it took awhile, but here's my rate!

Firstly, I would suggest Specs on Politoad. While your current set is good, a choice specs would make Politoad a Powerful Attacker. Trust me, Rain Boosted, Specs Hydro Pump Hurts more than CharizardYs Fire Blast, any that's saying a lot.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Rain: 345-406 (101.1 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Specs also Allows Politoad to fit into your team more than just a rain setter but a hard hitter that can come in and threaten many Pokemon out.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Psychic
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Next, I would suggest replacing Water Pulse with Hydro Pump on Blastoise. I understand Water pulse gets a boost thanks to Blastoise's ability, which is very attractive, however, Hydro Pump is still stronger, and unless your worried about accuracy (you shoudnt be), Hydro Pump is Almost Always the better option.

Lastly, I would suggest Bug Bite over X-Scissor on Scizor. Thanks to a Technican, bug bite has more power, and should always be used over X-Scissor

Hope this Helped.
Good Day to Your Sir~

Thanks! I'll try that specs. However the smeargle leads worry me a little. I'll also try hydro pumpwith blastoise and bug bite (sincerely I forgot to use bug bite XD)

all the above where good suggestions; the only thing that i can add is the fact that your team is quite weak to charizard-y since it can 2HKO your entire team with the exception of dragonite or even OHKO afters some previous passive damage from hazards. i think in a rain team goodra would fit well with hydration and the ability to wall charizard and KO in return with thunderbolt or muddy water, try replacing azumarill with it.
goodra @ leftovers
ability:hydration
252 hp/252 Satk/4 Sdef
-rest
-draco meteor
-thunderbolt
-dragon tail/muddy water/other coverage move

I gotta try that too, thank you!

Hi there, I'm here to rate your team.

So this is a pretty cool rain team that consists of no Legendaries. I'm fine with this, as you've obviously put effort into your RMT, and if you don't want to use any specific Pokemon for whatever reason that's fine with me. So onto the rate!

So I think the overall synergy of the team is okay, however I feel that opposing Ferrothorn and other bulky Grass types really give this team trouble. I think another good idea would be to possibly make Scizor your Mega, and replace Blastoise with Starmie. Mega Scizor I think suits this team more nicely, as it provides great bulk, allowing you to switch into threats like Aegislash and Gliscor without little worry, as well as allowing you to easily set up on bulky Grass types and beat them one on one. Starmie on the other hand is a power house in Rain + Analytic, and it still supports your team with Rapid Spin support. Finally, I think with Politoed, you're probably better off going with a Defensive Politoed set with Damp Rock. I feel Politoed is there generally to keep Rain up, and take a hit or two, and Safety Goggles really aren't all that great.

Here are the sets which I think you should try out

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 104 SDef / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Rest

Well there's my rate. Hope I helped you in some way

I think it would be wise to switch megas with scizor instead of blastoise. Blastoise isn't that powerful. And starmie would appreciate the rain. Gotta try all the sets with politoed XD

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)