XY OU Rain Offense (Peaked 1700~)

So this is the first RMT I've written and the first rain team I’ve built. I know it's not the greatest team, but I think it has potential to climb higher with a few tweaks. Hopefully I've made this detailed enough so that you guys can help me refine it.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Perish Song
- Toxic

Politoed is core on any rain team, as he provides instant rain whenever he enters the field successfully. I’ve made him as durable as possible so that he can set up rain throughout the match and be relatively annoying for the opposing team. Scald is obligatory water STAB and the burn chance helps patch up his low physical defense. Focus Blast is used for Ferrothorn and Tyranitar who are strong counters to Politoad and relatively hard for my team to take out. Perish Song and Toxic are to discourage setup sweepers and bulky pokemon from coming in trying to stall out my rain.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
lEVs: 76 Atk / 216 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Tornadus-T is my first rain abuser, is usually my lead for the team. He also helps check fast threats like Starmie and Keldeo who can abuse my rain and swing really hard. Hurricane and U-turn are the moves I spam whenever Tornadus-T is in play to punch holes in the opposing team and gain momentum. Superpower is used to handle Tyranitar, a big threat to my team as he can remove rain and check the special attackers on this team. Knock Off is mostly filler, but removing items from the other team is always nice.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Ferrothorn is the rock setter for my team and helps check most offensive threats in the meta. His spread is to help him take hits from both sides of the spectrum, but isn’t built with anything in mind, so any advice on his spread is welcome. Gyro Ball and Power Whip give me some offensive pressure so stuff like Keldeo and Terrakion can’t switch in mindlessly. Leech Seed helps Ferro stay around longer while chipping away at the other team.

I’ve found that I rarely used Power Whip outside of a Rain team mirror match, so any suggestions for that slot are appreciated.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick
- Aqua Jet

Kabutops is my secondary sweeper and is usually saved for revenge killing and late game cleaning. Waterfall and Stone Edge are strong STABs, and can usually OHKO/2HKO on most offensive teams when rain is up. Low Kick is reserved for a 2HKO on any Ferrothorn, who walls Kabutops preventing him from doing his job. Aqua Jet rounds out the set being able to out prioritize stuff like Scizor and Bisharp attempting to stop my sweep.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Manectric is my offensive pivot and a sweeper that doesn’t rely on the rain to do its job. He also forms a Volt-Turn core with Tornadus-T, helping me keep momentum and finding opportunities to setup rain. I prefer Flamethrower over Overheat on this guy, since Overheat can’t OHKO stuff like Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Excadrill if rain is up. Hidden Power Ice helps me hit dragons fairly hard, so that they won’t be able to tank Waterfalls from Kabutops later in the game.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock

Latias is the final member of my team, and helps check stuff like Keldeo and Landorus, while supporting my sweepers. Defog is helps keep hazards under control and prevent my team from being worn down. Draco Meteor and Psyshock help wear down the opposing team so that my sweepers can clean up. Healing Wish is a great move, and lets me make really aggressive switches with my sweepers dent the opposing team, then fully heal them late game to clean up the opposing team.

Importable:

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Perish Song
- Toxic

EVs: 76 Atk / 216 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick
- Aqua Jet

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock

Hello there, glad to see the underdog Rain used, with that said, let's get down to business!
While a minor thing, I would directly max Tornadus-therian speed, you don't lose that much in satk, and this way you'll be able to surpass jolly/timid dugtrio/alakazam, they are of course rare, but you don't lose that much, and some extra insurance against sash alakazam can be useful to you.

Now, threats like chansey cannot be 2hked by Superpower, as such tornadus-therian cannot hope to defeat Chansey, minus knock off, but it's a bit situational, sadly; as such I would suggest you to use Taunt over Knock Off, taunt with a flying+fight+u-turn coverage allows torn-therian to be a great wallbreaker, he can also common defensive threats like Ferrothorn, special defensive heatran, doublade, etc.
This also helps you against Calm Mind Clefable, which is problematic for you, but I'll get to that later.
The second change I would suggest you is Life Orb over Leftovers on Latias, you don't need Leftovers in order to reliably check Keldeo (especially if you don't use Recover) and life orb allows you to ohko stuff like Mega Heracross, whom you don't have any safe switch ins (well, actually they aren't truly safe switch ins, but that's another story), so it's quite useful to you, since this way you'll minimize the chances that Heracross might come in and give you troubles.
Clefable is problematic for your team, a calm mind clefable has VERY high chances to ohko Kabutops after Stealth Rocks and Life Orb recoil, while Kabutops will never be able to ohko Clefable, even in rain, Clefable on the other hand can easily set up on Latias, or Ferrothorn (flamethrower and bulk to withstand Gyro Ball) and Politoed (while Perish Song might put her on a timer, you'll lose a ton of health, and since Politoed is your weather setter you may want to keep him healthy, as such I would suggest you Encore over Perish Song on Politoed, Encore, like Encore discourages set up, while keeping Politoed healthy, and giving Kabutops the possibility to 2hko Clefable with Waterfall.

Hope it helped, good luck!

EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Taunt

Politoed (M) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Toxic
- Encore

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Hope it helped, good luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)