Rain... Original?

Hey guys! Ok, so, I've been wanting to post this team for a while. It's my original Rain team (should be obvious), and is about a year old. I don't know, I have a terrible sense of time. The only reason that I didn't post this yet is because I don't really have a name for my team.. yeahh..
Anyway, here it is!

Toed (Politoed) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 6 SAtk / 252 SDef
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Protect

Toed brings rain into the battlefield. She can take quite a few hits, while returning quite hard, as well. Scald is for STAB and the chance of burn, Ice Beam is for the many dragons that roam the tier, Perish song is for Baton Pass teams and as a pseudo-phasing move, and Protect is for longevity. The EVs is for her to be able to survive a Thunderbolt from a surprise moveset, though she can't survive super effective physical moves (mainly talking about Breloom and Ferrothorn)

Zor (Scizor) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break

Oh Zor, how I love you. In the rain, and with the EVs given, he can withstand a special fire type attack from Heatran, and retaliate with Brick Break. Just the standard Bulky Swords Dance Set.

Nite (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]/Roost
- Thunder
- Hurricane

This guy just might be the MVP. While she doesn't net the most kills, or pressure the opponent, she can do one thing, and she does it well; kill Breloom. Regardless of the set Breloom is using, Nite can come in, wake up with her Lum Berry, and hit back with Hurricane on the next turn, out speeding it every time. Other moves are there to abuse the rain, and to just be annoying, Thunder Waving faster Pokemon while surviving most hits with Multiscale. Hidden Power Ground is to take care of Ninetales, who can't hurt Nite, but is still this team's bane. But sometimes I use Roost to abuse Multiscale.

Gastro (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Recover

Gastro could very well be the most interesting Pokemon on my team. Well, second most. I needed another physical attacker, but still wanted a resistance to electric and water. So, I created this Curse set! I'm more of a bulk guy, so the EVs used are meant for it to survive and set up, Recovering when necessary. Earthquake and Waterfall are just basic STAB moves, but I might replace one with a Rock Slide or possible Stone Edge for those Dragon types infesting the tier. But I'm not sure. I'm not sure about the EVs either, since this is a set I made myself with nothing to copy from, so feedback would be nice.

Licky (Lickilicky) @ Leftovers
Trait: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Ok, this is the most interesting Pokemon in my team. Licky, the weather stopper. It's hilarious using this against a Venasaur, and watching them charge up their Solarbeam, or a Tornadus, only to see that their Hurricane missed. Good times. Anyway, the EVs allow her to withstand attacks pretty well, while attacking pretty hard. The moves are for full coverage against weather abusers. I'm not quite so sure about Surf though, but I'll keep it on if there's no better attacking move. Oh, Licky can survive an unboosted Outrage or Draco Meteor from any Dragon in the tier and respond with Ice Beam. Just felt like mentioning that.

Mow (Rotom-Mow) @ White Herb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Leaf Storm
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder

Yes, yes, I know. This isn't Rotom-Wash. But there's a reason that I use Rotom-Mow. And that's because it has a 90% accurate, 140 based(210 after STAB) Grass type move. It also has access to a perfect accuracy Thunder, something most other Grass types don't have. Thunder Wave is to slow down boosting Dragon types, and HP Ice is for those same Dragons, along with Landorus and Gliscor. Really, they should see it coming, Electric types and HP Ice go hand-in-hand, don't they? The White Herb is for me to be able to blast off a Leaf Storm, and still stay in the battle for the next Pokemon. Unfortunately, this means no healing.

Anyway, that's my team. I have huge problems with Hail teams, and hazards as well, since I do do quite a bit of switching. I don't know how to incorporate Rapid Spin into my team though. Maybe I can have Starmie with Thunder, Ice Beam, HP Grass, and Rapid Spin? I also have major problems with Status. Zor, Gastro, and Mow don't enjoy burns, while no one else really likes Toxic. That being said, I have tried to use Celebi instead of Mow. The lack of a second Thunder-abuser really hurts my team, though. So any ways to fix that part of my team would be helpful. Maybe Lanturn with Heal Bell instead of Gastro? Any advice would be extremely helpful! Thanks

--
Wannabe

Okay.

Why have you used so few attack EVs on Scizor?

In addition, Dragonite is not a fast pokemon. Using speed EVs on it seems wasteful, as it'll still be outsped by the vast majority of things. I'd swap the speed EVs into health EVs. I'd also go with roost over hidden power ground. In addition, the lack of a dragon-type STAB might come back to hurt you. Your call on that one.

The Gastrodon looks good. I'm curious as to how effective it actually is though, as Gastrodon's base offensives aren't the best. Certainly looks promising, though will be absolutely raped by grass types like Breloom, Celebi and Ferrothorn. Water and Ground coverage is somewhat questionable. As well as being walled by the aforementioned grass, it has very little super-effective coverage, with only Fire, Ground, Rock, and Steel being hit hard.

Lickilicky looks good, but I'd swap Surf for Heal Bell - assuming it doesn't clash with any of the other moves (I do not think it does).

Lastly, Rotom-Mow should be swapped to Rotom-Wash. You said it yourself. Rain boosted Hydro Pumps and perfect accuracy Thunders, as well as the ability to run leftovers easily makes it the better choice of the two pokemon. You could also trial Will-o-Wisp over Thunder Wave.

Anyways, good luck.

Thunderbolta:
Thanks!
I need Nite to outspeed Breloom at all costs, or else it will run havoc against my team. Supereffective moves against Toed, Gastro, and Licky, as well as making one Pokemon fall asleep. Not good.

Gastro works extremely well actually. It's already extremely slow, and it's attack stat isn't shabby. It can survive an unboosted Draco Meteor from Latios, though admittedly, it can't do anything back. Yeah, I might use Rock Slide instead of Waterfall.

Heal Bell clashes with Licky's ability. Oh well, I would've used it otherwise.

I think I'm going to keep Mow. I need a grass type move, along with Thunder, and that's final. I tried Wash before, and I just don't need another water type move on my team, no matter how powerful it is. Also, my team is more on the slow side, so T Wave works pretty well. Physical attackers don't really bother me that much.

I'll try the other suggestions though, and report back to see how well it works.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay.

Why have you used so few attack EVs on Scizor?
He's using the standard bulky Swords Dance set.

Anyways, very original team Wannabe! Using underrated threats such as Rotom-Mow who believe it or not isn't too bad in OU, at least on a Rain team. However, your team needs some patching up, because you indeed have problems that could your hurt your team in the long run.

First off, I think you should change your Bulky SD Scizor to a Choice Banded Scizor.

Zor (Scizor) @ Choice band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-Turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

CB Bullet Punch does a ton of damage to Ice types, especially on hail teams right off the bat so you don't have to set up. It also has access to the more powerful STAB U-Turn, which gives your team switch momentum as well as OHKOing Latios and Latias on the switch. Superpower is to tear holes into Chansey and Blissey who wall your Dragonite, and also deals huge damage to Ferrothorn. Pursuit is for trapping Psychic types that may try to switch out on Scizor, but instead get a Technician boosted Pursuit right to the ass.

Next off, you are missing a hazard setter. Ferrothorn or Forretress would be a great option here, however then you would have a big weakness to sun teams. I think you would be better off with a more offensive hazard setter, so that's why I think you should replace Lickilicky with Lead Terrakion.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

Lickilicky, although a cool Pokemon, is not very viable in OU. He has very unimpressive speed, and even his SpA is not the best either. You team can handle Ninetails in other way just fine. Terrakion is one of the most dangerous threats in this meta, and can really put a lot of pressure on teams with his blazing speed and high attack. Lead Terrakion's job is to get off hazards as soon as possible, while dealing back hard hits as well. He is almost always used at the beginning of the battle, however you can conserve him for later parts of the battle if need be. It all depends on how important Stealth Rocks is needed. If the other team seems to have a lot of resists to Stealth Rocks + a spinner, then save Stealth Rocks and Terrakion for later. If they lack a spinner, you should always lead with Terrakion. Stealth Rock is very important for dealing harsh damage to Sun teams, and severely cripples Volcarona who can tear this team apart if given the chance to set up. Close Combat deals a lot of damage to Steel, Rock, and Normal types, while Stone Edge hits Tornadus-T and common Pokemon on Hail teams very hard. X-Scissor rounds out the set with coverage against Psychic types.

There are still some things that need to be changed like a spinner for this team, but I can't seem to find out where to put one. I'll leave it to the other raters on this forum to see what they can do. Nice team dude, and good luck!

P.S. Make sure you test peoples recommendations before making your decision.

Over all your team is well built but there are some suggestions that I would like to make. First off Lickilicky only has a base 80 SpAttack stat so putting an all out attacking set on it is kind of a waste. You should replace thunder bolt for wish, at the very least, as most of your team could use some sort of recovery once hazard damage starts racking up. One thing I might suggest is that you replace dragonite with Tornadus-T. This will still allow you to counter Brelooms (although not switch into the spore) abuse STAB hurricanes and recover HP when switching out. You might want to replace Gastrodon with a Tentacruel as it will allow you to remove hazards which plague your team and get your own up. Finally I'd like to suggest using superpower on Scizor over brick break for the superior amount of power that it provides.

• Change Dragonite's EVs to 252 HP 252 SpA 4 SpD and scratch HP Ground altogether
  • Replace Gastrodon for Unaware Quagsire with the same set
  • Give Lickilicky an Expert Belt (I've actually used that set before. Surf does have some use against foes like Mamoswine which would beat Lickilicky otherwise)

First off, I switched Mow with Starmie, Thunder, Ice Beam, Rapid Spin, and HP Grass. Works like a charm.

Gary:
Just because of your P.S., I'm gonna try them out. Though it pains me to part with Licky, Stealth Rock would be nice. And even though I hate Choice items, I guess I can give it a try. I suck at predictions though. I can see Tentacruel being even more of a problem, though

Bluebanana: Even with 80 Base Special Attack, Licky can OHKO most of the dragons, 3HKO Heatran, and OHKO Venasuar regardless of weather. The best part is that the opponent doesn't know what to expect from a Licky. Probably just a Heal Bell, or a Wish. The amount of people who use Dragon Dance against Licky is way too high. The element of surprise is enough to keep my Licky's moveset.
I haven't actually tried Tornadus-T, so I guess I may as well. I also use Gastro because it's a physical attacker, since only having one isn't a good idea against things like the pink blobs. I am going to switch out Brick Break with Superpower, though.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm not a good rated but I do have to say, your Politoed and Gasrodon EV spread can be optimized.

Gastrodon:
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

instead of your current one, it gives out one more SDef point, and 3 more attack and the same stats for everything else.

Politoed:
EVs: 252 HP / 112 SAtk / 144 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

This one gives out 6 more special attack, with the same stats for everything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)