1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Rain! Rain! Double Rain!!

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by AntiAntiGuy, Jun 21, 2012.

1. AntiAntiGuy

AntiAntiGuy

Yes it's a Doubles Team but DON'T LEAVE JUST YET!!! Give me a chance the tournament I'm entering is Doubles only so it kinda sucks and I can't test this team out on Pokemon Online because I can't use Thundurus and people never play Doubles anyway. Why though? It's great!!

Anyway this is a Rain Team without Politoed. Firstly because this tournament has Drizzle banned and also I prefer to use Swift Swimmers. This tournament also has Thundurus not banned so that's another plus :)

Ok, here goes:

[​IMG]
    Illusions (Azelf) @ Light Clay
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
    - Rain Dance
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Stealth Rock

For this purpose Azelf will put its Speed to good use, not its attacking stats. It's pretty simple, get Rain going and then try to get Screens up. Last time I entered this tournament Dual Screens was a huge help. If Azelf survives any longer than 3 turns then it should be able to get Stealth Rock down. In Doubles Stealth Rock isn't hugely important as it is in Singles, but it still help. That's it really. Rain, Rocks and Screens, then it dies. Sad I know but that's the job (important job) for this supporter

[​IMG]
    RotoW (Rotom-W) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 176 HP/ 252 SpA/ 80 Spe
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunder
    - Protect/ Volt Switch
    - Trick

We all know how good Rotom-W is. Amazing Dual STAB, bulk and decent Speed which is enhanced by Choice Scarf, however the goal of this Rotom-W is not to dish out damage. Trick will cripple any unsuspecting foe that normally stands out as a counter to a Rain Team such as Nattorei and Cradily. When they're crippled with a useless Choice Scarf they will be essentially be the lest threatening thing on the opposing team. With no Scarf attached to Rotom-W it can stroll around firing off powered-up Hydro Pumps and unmissable Thunders thanks to the Rain. Protect is the filler move which is necessary for Doubles as it allows Rotom-W to avoid damage for a single turn whilst the other team member takes down the threat to Rotom-W, or there's Volt Switch which is suitable for Choice Scarf.

[​IMG]
    MJ (Ludicolo) @ Damp Rock
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    - Rain Dance
    - Surf
    - Giga Drain
    - Ice Beam

Ludicolo is incredibly important to this team. It's fast (in the rain), powerful, bulky, ridiculously versatile and has the longest lasting Rain Dance on the team. Ludicolo's Rain Dance will last 8 turns thanks to Damp Rock and from then on it can deal heavy damage to both opponents with STAB Rain Boosted Surf, or heal itself with STAB Giga Drain. Ice Beam is the perfect filler move as it fits so well with the other two moves and it takes down Flying Dragon like Salamence and Dragonite.

[​IMG]
    Maelstrom (Kingdra) @ Life Orb/ White Herb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Nature: Mild
    EVs: 92 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 164 Spe
    - Surf
    - Waterfall
    - Draco Meteor
    - Protect

Kingdra is the main sweeper of this team. It works especially well alongside Ludicolo as both can spam Surf which hurts alot to the opposing team and it will hardly scratch the other teammate because they both 4x resist Water. Kingdra also has Waterfall to hurt specially defensive Pokemon such as Chansey, Blissey, Snorlax and Volcarona. Draco Meteor is Kingdra's Dragon STAB that lets it bring down anything that resists Water, most notable Dragon Types. Unfortuantly the use of Draco Meteor means that Kingdra will have a useless Surf and useless Draco Meteor meaning that it has to rely on Waterfall unless it switches out or has White Herb. Protect is absolutly necessary for Kingdra because it's not a defensive powerhouse and it'll already be taking damage from Life Orb everytime it attacks anyway.

[​IMG]
    Raijin (Thundurus) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Prankster
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def. 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    - Rain Dance
    - Thunder
    - Focus Blast
    - Protect

I'm taking advantage of the tournaments decision to NOT ban Thundurus so, I'm going to use one myself!! Thundurus is going to be the "emergency" Rain Dancer. There will probably come a time where the battle goes on for too long and the combination of Azlef and Ludicolo's Rain Dance isn't, so Thundurus is the next best thing with Prankster. Because of this amazing ability Thundurus will almsot always get Rain up. Unfortunalty this means that Thundurus may also die due to paper thin defenses so that's why I gave him a Focus Sash so he can live for another turn, hopefully. It also means that Thundurus can get away with not using Protect for 1 turn whilst either Kingdra or Ludicolo uses Surf. If Thundurus is still living he can unleash terrifying Thunders and Focus Blasts (to deal with Nattorei).

[​IMG]
    Nitefury (Dragonite) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Multiscale
    Nature: Rash
    EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 4 Spe
    - Hurricane
    - Thunder
    - Dragon Claw
    - Protect/ Roost

Dragonite is amazing on its own, but it's even better in the Rain. Multiscale makes it surprising bulky on the first hit meaning it can take a Blizzard, Draco Meteor or Ice Beam. Hurricane is the move of choice as it's a powerful unmissable STAB that has a nice confusion side-effect. Then there's Thunder, which may not be STAB but it still does decent damage and may also paralize which works well with Hurricane's confusion. Dragon Claw is to deal with special walls and it's a nice back-up STAB for Dragonite. The choice between Roost and Protect comes down to whether Dragonite needs to heal or whether it needs to avoid damage. Blizzard will be less of a problem thanks to the Rain but it's Doubles so anything can happen.....

Please please pplleeaassee PLEASE please PLEASE comment on this. I put alot of work into it and I'll be in your debt. Thanks :)
  2. Gone to the beach

Gone to the beach

I don't think this is supposed to go here but I'll give you a rate. Solid rain team but there are some problems.
    If weather summonses are allowed, other weather teams are going to give you problems when you have to set up rain. Tell me if their allowed and I'll give you suggestions.

Trick room is something that will give you a lot of problems. There are a couple ways to counter this. An easy way would be to run taunt over rain dance on thunderous and lead with him. If your oppononemt has a Musharna/cresselia/reuniclus make sure to keep him alive and taunt them.

I would also suggest a zapdos over dragonite because of its ability to use heat wave and also take advantage of the rain. A set with thunder/heat wave and other moves would work. You really need some fire moves if your oppononemt has hail on the field. Look at the smogon vgc analysis for Evs and such. Zapdos can lead well if your opponent is going to lead with abomasnow.
    Also what's your name on po I'll battle u in doubles since no one else does.
  3. AntiAntiGuy

AntiAntiGuy

Thanks for the rate!

Other weather summoners (Tyranitar, Ninetales, ect) are allowed. I see the problem with Trick Room and I understand the problem, so I will change Rain Dance on Thundurus to Taunt and MAYBE lead with it. I do prefer 3 Rain Dancers so I might put Rain Dance on either Dragonite/Zapdos or Kingdra.

The thing is if I lead with both Thundurus and Zapdos then that makes Azelf almost useless. Azelf is desgined to be a suicide lead, not a suicide not-lead..... so what do you suggest with Azelf if I have different leads??

I do like the idea of Zapdos however running Heat Wave will only be useful in other weathers as Rain will decrease the power of it. Dragonite on the other hand has a physical STAB to use alongside STAB Hurricane which makes Blissey ect less of a worry. Sure Zapdos has a better Thunder but Thundurus already has that same Thunder and Rotom-W is still a good choice for Thunder as well, and Dragonite has Hurricane to offer as well.

Finally, I'm AntiAntiGuy on the Smogon server and this tournament is not Wi-Fi. Yeah it's IR so no Team Preview

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)