Rain, rain, go away!(An OU Rain Team By Riskyy)

Rain Rain Go Away!

Hello, and welcome to my first OU RMT! But please don't be disheartened when I say this is my first RMT. Anyways, rain has always been a personal favorite of mine. I don't know why, maybe its because I always thought Kyogre was the best pokemon of all time at age 6. Back on task, I built this team with the goal of seeing how good Thundurus really is. Also he is probably one of the best rain abusers, so he fit well with my love for rain. This team peaked at 1155 but is now at 1115. I would like to find a way to push it over the cusp of greatness. That is where you guys come in! I would like to know if it's my playing or the team itself that is preventing my team and I to be amongst the best. So, without further ado, my drizzle team!

Politoed@Choice Scarf
Modest- 252 SpA 252 Spd 4 HP
Ability:Drizzle
-Hydro Pump
-Focus Blast
-Ice Beam
-Perish Song
Well this guy is kind of a necessity, right? Anyways, this guy brings the rain that this team abuses, and is my premiere check to Excadrill and other sand sweepers. Come in on a non attacking move, and he is forced to switch out, or prey I miss the pump. Politoed also provides as a solid revenge killer for every other poke, too. The evs are standard for scarftoed and maximize Special Attack and Speed. Modest nature because MOAR Power. Also, Scarf Toed provides some viability to a weather starter, more to say then for ninetails.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Impish 244 HP 180 Def 84 Spd
Ability:Poison Heal
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Protect
Well, when the team started to lean towards stall, thundurus kinda lost his meaning. So, to give myself a solid physical wall and a way to punch through Blissey, I decided to use a Wall Sweeper Gliscor. Now, since Toxic orb+Poison heal recovers 1/8 as opposed to leftovers 1/16, i opted for the Poison Heal Gliscor. Now, the EV's might seem a little weird, however are actually pretty straightforward. 244 HP is to restore the most HP possible from poison heal, while 84 Spd is to speed creep other semi-fast walls such as other Gliscor and specially defensive Jirachi. Onto the moves, Swords Dance is to boost Gliscor's attack stat to respectable levels giving him the possibility of sweeping. Earthquake if for powerful STAB, while Ice Fang is for coverage. Protect is to scout and to heal up if I need say, 24 more HP to guarantee I live the next Stone Edge from Terrakion. In all and all, I am glad that the raters in the smogon community presented me with this option.

Gastrodon@Leftovers
Calm 252 HP 252 SpD 4Spd
Ability: Storm Drain
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover
This little slug is slowly crawling his way to the top of the OU tier because of his ability to counter rain teams with his recently buffed-up ability storm drain. Storm drain now raises Gastrodon's special attack by one stage every time he's hit with a water type move. Between the immunity of water and electric attacks, and his lightness so he isn't hit hard by grass knot, he walls two of the most threatening pokes on rain teams: Rotom-W and Thundurus. Earth Power for STAB and Ice Beam for the flying types immune to earth power. Toxic to get some serious residual damage, and recover for instantaneous recovery. 252 HP to maximize bulk and 252 SpD and Calm to take most special attacks bar grass types and Specs Draco.

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
Careful 252 HP 60 Def 196 SpD
Ability: Iron Barbs
-Power Whip
-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
Ahh, this spikey fruit octopus thing is a staple on most rain teams due to his key resistances and his glaring weakness being nerfed thanks to rain. Do to fires nerf, Ferro is nearly indestructible and can take Specs Latios all day. Remember when I said Thundurus's biggest threat is pokes that are faster and that the problem will be adressed later? Yeah, well this guy addresses it. With T-Wave, Ferrothorn is capable of crippling attackers that really on their high speed to succeed such as Starmie. Power Whip for STAB and an actually surprising attacking presence. This guy has netted me way more KO's than one would think. Anyways Leech Seed for more HP, and Rocks since it the most important move in the game. Although I don't know how much truth there is to that statement now, since I usually dont get around to getting them up unless I see D-nite, Volcroana, or any other 4x Weak Rock poke. 252 HP for max bulk, 60 Def to take 2 Outrages from banded Haxorus, yeah HAXORUS. And 196 SpD for Latios and other special attackers that Gastrodon can't take. Yeah, this guy is #1 in OU for a good reason.

Jirachi@Leftovers
Modest 252 HP 80 SpA 176 Spd
Ability:Serene Grace
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Water Pulse
-Thunder
This SubCM Rachi takes the place of Skarmory and boy, does it do well! This Rachi is probably the only poke capable of pulling off water pulse in a competitive way. With Rachi's infamous ability, Thunder and Water Pulse will usually cause parafusion, giving my opponent a small chance to even perform a move. After a couple calm minds, this guy becomes a fearsome sweeper. He also fills skarm shoes well since it still keeps the dragon resist.

Tentacruel@Leftovers
Bold 252 HP 212 Def 44 Spe
Ability:Rain Dish
-Scald
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Protect
In for the previous Rotom-W is this Tentacruel. This, along with some other team members have been suggested by AB2. After seeing this team had a pretty big problem with Scizor, this Tentacruel makes it so I almost get EXCITED when I see Scizor, since it's pretty much a 6-5 at the start because standard CB Scizor really can't touch this guy. Also, Tenta addresses my Bliss problem. With toxic spikes, Blissey is pretty much deadweight, only being able to switch in on a couple attacks as opposed to the seemingly endless amounts it can take untouched. Scald is for rain boosted STAB, Protect is to ease prediction and to get in another turn of lefties+rain dish, and rapid spin support is always welcomed.

Final Note
Well, this team has kinda grown on me, as I have fond memories of using each and every one of these pokes. However, I feel it has more potential. I am open to changing anyone in the name of bettering the team. But please, only serious proposals including a type of moveset.

Last Glance

Modest Scarftoed outruns everything that Timid Scarftoed does, and the 10% boost in power is always welcome. Modest over Timid always.

Your team looks good but when you break it down some things must change.
Basically all your sweepers are special and you have a hefty 3. Your defense carries physical attacks which will dealwith blissey. Also you have 2 halves of the best defensive cores ever. Replace ferrothorn for blissey or skarmory for jellicent. A breloomley would go well for keeping ferrothorn's synergy alive. thinking this over skarmbliss would be better. For a second physical sweeper maybe scizor because breloomley has setup with spore and sub and you should think about leech seed. Also on your politoed max HP so you get your weather up and you do twang nineties tosolarbea, you . Sorry I know this rate is aged to read it's kind of my mind running
That was a brainstorm paragraph but try this
Blissey/chansey
Skarmory
Breloom
toxicroak/ scizor
Thundurus/rotom
Politoed
Also bolt NRA and focus blast on two pokemon seems kind of silly run nasty plot bolt beam taunt on thunders and never lum berry life orb or lefties if you fear status, taunt away. With priority. If you are worried about keeping rocks on your team blissey actuallygets the move. You would use toxicroak over scizor maybe because of the toxic spikes eating which ruins teams sometimes. The scizor set would be band or SD and the breloomley would be subpunchsporeseed

Your team looks good but when you break it down some things must change.
Basically all your sweepers are special and you have a hefty 3. Your defense carries physical attacks which will dealwith blissey. Also you have 2 halves of the best defensive cores ever. Replace ferrothorn for blissey or skarmory for jellicent. A breloomley would go well for keeping ferrothorn's synergy alive. thinking this over skarmbliss would be better. For a second physical sweeper maybe scizor because breloomley has setup with spore and sub and you should think about leech seed. Also on your politoed max HP so you get your weather up and you do twang nineties tosolarbea, you . Sorry I know this rate is aged to read it's kind of my mind running
That was a brainstorm paragraph but try this
Blissey/chansey
Skarmory
Breloom
toxicroak/ scizor
Thundurus/rotom
Politoed
Also bolt NRA and focus blast on two pokemon seems kind of silly run nasty plot bolt beam taunt on thunders and never lum berry life orb or lefties if you fear status, taunt away. With priority. If you are worried about keeping rocks on your team blissey actuallygets the move. You would use toxicroak over scizor maybe because of the toxic spikes eating which ruins teams sometimes. The scizor set would be band or SD and the breloomley would be subpunchsporeseed
Can I get anyone to second this suggestion? And maybe in a format in which I could clearly understand?

Sorry about that that was typed straight out if my brain so I Accident tally made it look lie crap.
So basically your politoed is a special sweeper, so is your thundurus, and rotom. Agreed? Ferrothorn and skarmory have one physic
Move each and Gastrodon has 2 special so your core is fine for physic
Specoal but your team is too specially oriented. Blissey=hell skarmory's brave bird and ferrothorn's. Power whip wntdp shit. I've had the blissey vs ferrotthorn situation and blissey wins, just by repetitiveseismoc tosses.
Gt it so far?
Then I noted the epic defense cores are skarmbliss and ferrocent
Yu carry skarm thorn which os half of each. I recommended dropping one or the other to make the completed core. Actually, in rain you could use blastoise over jellicent but that os personal preference. I then noted if you drop ferrothorn another good physical sweeper you could add toke the grass idea is breloom. Then I ranted about possible switch store the rest of your team. And know this, your politoed and thundurus are essentially the same sweeper. 3/4 moves are the same
Also, you still have more special guys so I suggested dropping rotom or thundurus for scizor to have the steel dragon resist and he loses weakness in rain. Or toxicroak is pretty good in rain as well with dry skin.

Sorry it was so unorganized

Sorry about that that was typed straight out if my brain so I Accident tally made it look lie crap.
So basically your politoed is a special sweeper, so is your thundurus, and rotom. Agreed? Ferrothorn and skarmory have one physic
Move each and Gastrodon has 2 special so your core is fine for physic
Specoal but your team is too specially oriented. Blissey=hell skarmory's brave bird and ferrothorn's. Power whip wntdp shit. I've had the blissey vs ferrotthorn situation and blissey wins, just by repetitiveseismoc tosses.
Gt it so far?
Then I noted the epic defense cores are skarmbliss and ferrocent
Yu carry skarm thorn which os half of each. I recommended dropping one or the other to make the completed core. Actually, in rain you could use blastoise over jellicent but that os personal preference. I then noted if you drop ferrothorn another good physical sweeper you could add toke the grass idea is breloom. Then I ranted about possible switch store the rest of your team. And know this, your politoed and thundurus are essentially the same sweeper. 3/4 moves are the same
Also, you still have more special guys so I suggested dropping rotom or thundurus for scizor to have the steel dragon resist and he loses weakness in rain. Or toxicroak is pretty good in rain as well with dry skin.

Sorry it was so unorganized
Thank you for cleaning up, but this is a major overhaul to the team, so I would like for someone to second the changes. This is to be sure there is no personal biased to you, say, hating Ferrothron. Nonetheless, I would like to thank you for your rate and suggestions.

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Calm mind Reuniclus and nasty plot Celebi are big problems to this team. They can pretty easily set up on most of your team members and completely sweep you, especially since a few of your team members are good set up fodder. Calm mind Jirachi would fit very well on this team not only to win against calm mind Reuniclus but the trick room variants as well, although Gastrodon does very well against those so that is much less of an issue. It will also be able to sponge most of Celebi's hits pretty easily besides boosted earth powers after a special defense drop or two. Although you rely on to check quite a few threats, I think that its the one to go for Jirachi. Jirachi can also keep the dragon resist that Skarmory gave you as well as winning against threats such as calm mind Virizion which troubles drizzle teams. Modest, leftovers, 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe and a set of calm mind / substitute / thunder / water pulse will help you abuse hazards and win against these threats. Psychic is also an option here so that your weakness to Toxicroak is deterred quite a bit.

If you decide to remove Skarmory, your team has a bit of trouble switching into cb Scizor. Skarmory and other Ferrothorn will also have a few opportunities to set up on you as well. Since this team is more of a stall based rain team rather than an offense based one, I would suggest running Tentacreul over your Rotom-W. With rain dish and leftovers, Tentacreul works decently at sponging Scizor's U-turns. It will aso provide with a toxic spikes to wear down annoying bulky waters and grass types as well. A set with toxic spikes / scald / protect / rapid spin, bold, 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe, and leftovers will really do well. The speed investment allows you to outrun taunt + sd Gliscor that invest 80 speed evs.

As for some minor changes, I'd also try running a more defensive Politoed with a set of scald / ice beam / toxic / rest, chesto berry, maximum hp and defense, and a bold nature so that your team is a bit less weak to sandstorm sweepers such as Excadrill. This will really help as it can survive a +2 balloon earthquake from Excadrill and so that you will be able to take it out pretty easily and rest off any damage later in the match. Gyro ball should be used on Ferrothorn over thunder wave as well so that you will more easily be able to win against Latios.

After all of these changes, it seems that you have an extremely solid team on your hands. Good Luck.

im not sure i second his changes but he brings up a good point. How do you deal with blissey or chansey? i mean sure a boosted thunder hurts but even at +4 you cant OHKO a bold 4spdef Blissey (same with chansey, although you would get the 2HKO), i absolutly love scizor and on a rain team he is hard to resist, bringing his fire weakness to managable levels. an adament 252 attack scizor will OHKO blissey 100% of the time at only +2 with bugbite, or at +0 a superpower (might OHKO with rocks) then bullet punch will finish blissey. i suggest an offensive scizor
Scizor@leftovers
4hp/252attack/252speed
adament
bug bite
bullet punch
swords dance
superpower
Honestly i would remove gastrodon, because you said it yourself, he counters rain teams, but you are a rain team. i would then change ferrothron for a blissey or chansey (keep thunder wave, its a great idea) to have a more dedicated special wall, and even without the steel typing, it still takes the same amount of draco meteors, (chansey is 3-4 ko'd while ferrothorn is 4hko'd). However, like mentioned by the other rater, you could replace skarmory with jellicent, which would make up for losing gastrodon, but i personally opt for the first option. so your team would be like this:
Politoed
Thundurus
Scizor
Blissey/Chansey (i suggest chansey since you dont have to worry about residual damage because you keep rain up, not sand or hail)
Skarmory
Rotom-w

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi,

The changes you have made from AB2's post are decent and have fixed the Celebi/Reuniclus issues slightly, but have introduced some new ones. LO Mamoswine and Double dance Terrakion are absolute top threats to your team right now, the latter of which only needs an SD to sweep your whole team clean bar Thunderus (who actually has a chance of being unable to KO a 100% Terrakion). Sub and Scarfed Landorus can also be a nuisance if on the same team as another strong sand sweeper like Excadrill or the above mentioned Terrakion, one weaking your two counters in Politoed and Ferrothorn (your check as Thunderus), and allowing the other to sweep. There is really a huge amount of pressure being put on Ferrothorn at the moment to wall off physical threats, and I think it would be in your best interest to add another physical wall to help alleviate this pressure. I would suggest using a Gliscor This set will also help you check Dragonite, who is also a little annoying for this team to handle. over your current Tentacreul, who not only does the same job of walling off Scizor, but provides you a great Ground type immunity and the ability to beat Conkeldurr, Terrakion, Excadrill, and Landorus, all who were common threats in this metagame to your team. It should accomplish its task with an EV spread of 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spe with an Impish nature, which lets you speed creep 80 Spe EVs gliscor and get maximum poison heal recovery, all without sacrificing defensive capability; the moveset is Swords Dance | Earthquake | Ice Fang | Protect. If you have trouble v. stall, Taunt over Protect is an option to consider.

What this means is you will have no spinner and Ferrothorn becomes a chore for you to get past. A Scarf Politoed similar to the one you originally had would be very good here, to revenge Thunderus, add a little speed to your currently very slow team, and with an EV spread of 252 SpAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spe, a Modest nature and a set of Hydro Pump | Ice Beam | Perish Song | Focus Blast will allow you to, in some cases, 2HKO Ferrothorn, but weakening it enough to be KO'ed by Thunderus later. Perish Song will help out a lot vs. CM Latias, which is hard for you to face since you can't hit it very hard.

There are still some minor kinks in the team that would require a lot of reworking to completely cover, but this should suffice, while keeping the main pokemon in your team. Good luck!

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
If you replace Tentacreul, your team will struggle a lot with calm mind Virizion since it lacks toxic spikes. Tentacreul also does very well against all forms of Scizor where as Gliscor can't win against sd Scizor as easily as Tentacreul can. Taking away your rapid spinner also opens you up to Ferrothorn quite a bit, and relying on Politoed to ko it with focus blast as it spikes on you is not good at all. Although I do agree with San Pellegrino in that you should really switch back to scarf Politoed. I overlooked the fact that you would be a bit weaker to life orb mamoswine if you ran the defensive variant. Although I would run a set of surf / ice beam / perish song / hidden power [grass], modest, and maximum speed and special attack it would work out well. Scarf Politoed should still do a fine job of checking sandstorm sweepers. Unfortunately, the only place that Gliscor fits is over Thundurus as it can completely win against Terrakion. A taunt + sd set would work well over Thundurus as it helps you break down more defensive teams with taunt and can check sandstorm sweepers that politoed is unable to such as Terrakion, although that part is up to you but it does seem like this would give you a very effective rain stall team.

Sorry that I overlooked those threats, good luck with the team!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, have you tried an ev spread of (212hp 252def 44spdef calm) on your gastrodon to tank physical hits better? Gastrodon's unev'd base 68 defense is a big problem for your team. especially cause you really dont have a dedicated physical wall. max def evs gives you 235def, along with 416 hp, this will be plenty to take physical attacks with the remaining spdef evs give gastrodon 232spdef. so gastrodon's defenses are balanced. if you decide to go this route, run scald over earth power to burn sandstorm abusers such as excadrill and landorus and prevent them from sweeping if politoed is out for the count.

Try this spread and see how it works for you. I hope you excel with your rain team and that my advice helps you out

Well after 35 minutes of battle after battle with Gliscor over Thundy, I have broke my peak and have noticed that Gliscor and Jirachi are more than capable of breezing through a team that has been warn down. However, I was thinking if a spiker would be a good idea, since steels like ferro and scizor are annoying to take down. I can wall them, its just I have no way of really hurting back unless Gliscor sets up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)