Rain Stall With A Twist And a Whirl

Hello Smogon!.I am here with my 4th (3rd actual RMT) here on smogon. Today i will be bringing to the table a team i have made in 1 day ago that has brought me with some success.This team was suppose to be based around a Parasect only because i wanted to use it as a staller and so i built the team with it.
First Glance:

For a first glance it looks like a somewhat normal Rain stall you have the Toed,The Squid,The Dragon and the Nurse and other hitchhikers.The team looks abnormal and so lets get a closer look at them but before that let me go through the Team building process.
Team Building:

The first two pokes i started my team with were Politoed and Parasect but really Parasect because that's what i wanted to to use in a team.The fact that Parasect got Dry skin made Politoed a must on this team. It gives Parasect a very nice but not needed boost in HP which allows it to survive longer and do what it does best.

Next pokes i added were Tentacruel and Dragonite to the team. Tentacruel to get up toxic spikes support and to help with stalling. Rapid spin support was also needed for Parasect because its Bug/Grass which makes it take 25% from Rocks.Dragonite was also added because of its versatility in rain and as a Pokemon in general.and because of that i just added him in for support and other reasons which will be in the closer look.

Next thing added was Chansey because of wish support and stalling in general.it could take hits from Most Pokemon with ease. Also picked over Blissey because in rain Chansey is way better because of its massive defenses and no extra damage in between turns(sand or hail).The last thing that i really needed also at this point was a stealth rocker because of D-nite and so Chansey was on the team.

Last poke i added on this team was a Magnezone.Now at first it seems VERY weird for someone to have a Magnezone on a stall team but after a little bit it made sense.The purpose of Magnezone was to trap all steels that might be a problem.This sounds weird but Steels are the only thing that don't take poison and getting rid of them was a big part of any battle.

After playing battles and going 10-4 i was disappointed with Magnezone and how well it took everything.it wasn't not fitting on the team as i planned and so i swapped him with a more defensive Magneton which takes everything WAY better then Magnezone and in some cases it can be better then its bigger brother.this is what now makes the team and now you have seen how i built it you can look at everyone closer.

Closer Look

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect
Politoed,The weather starter and Backbone of the team.Politoed is probably the most important Pokemon on this team because its what almost everything on this team needs and that is Rain.Without rain this team would fall apart and not function as well as it should.Other then being a good weather starter Politoed has some other uses on this team like a back-up for if Toxic Spikes are blown away or absorbed by a poison type.Its a Physical wall which can take dragons attacks very well if Magnezone can't.it functions as a weak attacker because of rain boosted scald which even with no investment still does a lot of damage to anyone and anything but Blissey.Last thing Politoed can be used for is a back-up staller that i can fall back on if needed.with protect,toxic and scald i can stall most things that are not Blissey.This set is the Physically Bulky Politoed and i had chosen this set because this is a stall team.The standard 252/252/4 was needed because of the lack of physically bulky Pokemon at the start of team building. Toxic and Protect were my chosen Utility moves because its a stall team and i could use Politoed as back-up if my stallers die.

Parasect (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect
Parasect is the reason for it all.This Pokemon was what started the whole chain and what started my team.Parasect is one of the stallers on this team and by far the most successful one of them all.Parasect is something not really seen by most.What makes this thing really bad is its weakness to fire and ice(which are two common types)and its terrible speed,but its almost equal defenses and support move pool makes this bug all the more better then it was.With the decent defenses and spore you can take most neutral hits and go for spore,with Lefties and Dry skin you should be in range for sub which is what you go for then a leech seed to start stalling.then from there you just use protect,spore and sub to keep it alive.The set is a "Smogon Standard" set meaning its what is recommended for it. I Pick Protect over X-scissors because its way more useful then X-scissors IMO.Protect allows you to recover around 25% of your health with Dry skin and leech seed and deal more and more damage over turns.

Magneton @ Eviolite
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 4 SAtk / 244 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder
Magneton is more of a support poke more then anything.This thing is what helps the stalling start and never stop.Magneton has something great about it which is way better then Magnezone and that's defenses. Magneton's defenses are really good with Eviolite. With just 4 evs you hit 339 Def which is a lot for just 4 Evs. Because its so defensive its used as a sturdy Steel killing/Dragons Beat bag.Thing can go for Sub,take Outrages like they were nothing and continue to go for Charge beam to boost its damage output.The fact it has great defenses and magnet pull makes it the Perfect Steel killer.it destroys Bullet punch locked scizors,Skarm,Ferrothorn and others because of the fact it takes nothing from and of there attacks.This set is one i came up with and has to do alot with math. First the Evs 248 HP / 12 Def / 4 SAtk / 244 SDef this is a weird combo but it works for me with 248 Hp Magneton hits 303 Hp which is low but is not divisible by 4 allowing 4 subs without it losing all of its health.12 Def makes it hit 229 def and with Eviolite boost lets Magneton hit 343.5 which is 344 defense which is very good this allows it to take 2 Banded BPs with sub which is awesome and something that Magnezone can't do.4 SpAtk Adds 8 SpAtk points with +6 then no points.and last but not least is the 244 SpDef Points which are there to balance out the defenses out as much as you can.The moves are for Sub 3 Attack which is good for set-up and killing.HP Ice so your not walled by Gliscor.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
Chansey the Medic for this team.Chansey is (like Magneton)a support Pokemon but in a different way,Instead of Killing its a healer which is very needed no this team.Chansey like Magneton has better Defenses then its Evolution.Because Chansey has better Defenses doesn't let it go off with no Defense Evs but the Exact opposite because it has Eviolite i want to maximize the fact by putting all evs possible in both defenses to give you best defenses possible.With the Hp Stat being so high its not really needed to have max Hp without investment it still hits 641 Hp which is still very good.4 Speed to give it that extra edge on somethings that would be faster then it.Move set is standard but the SR. SR over Toxic because i have Toxic Spikes and Politoed making it almost like a waste of space and SR is needed it on this team and Chansey can learn it so.

Tentacruel (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam
Tentacruel is the beinging of stall.Its Role on this team is a Rapid spinner and a Hazard layer.With Toxic spikes you can get everyone on your opponents team that isnt a flying type or steel Poisoned.Rapid spinner is very straight forward just spin and keep everything safe.With Rain dish its ideal for this job because it can act as a wall as well as a utility poke.the recovery coming from Rain dish is awesome also because you can live more and more hits and have more chances to get stuff up.The set is very standard and not out of the ordinary Scald and Ice beam there for Dragons and burn seeing that its SpDef Squid and not Bold.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
Dragonite is the Begining of the end.Its role is on this team is to shuffle and hurt but mainly shuffle.Once Toxic Spikes on the field you are safe to shuffle so you can have everything poisoned and ready for Parasect to stall everything.Hurricane and Thunder are standard on this set so you can maximize rain as much as you can.Dragon tail to Shuffle and deal damage and roost to recover and evade effectiveness from move types.With it being Specially defensive means it can take fire water electric and other moves well that would otherwise hurt everyone else on the team.

Thats the End of the RMT hope you liked it Any changes will be in red
Export:
Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Parasect (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect

Magneton @ Eviolite
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 4 SAtk / 244 SDef
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

Tentacruel (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Dragon Tail
- Roost

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
Hey! Cool team let's get started with the rate.

At first glance I see you will have massive problems with Terrakion, choiced ones are easier to handle, but Sub+Salac or other non-choiced sets can do work to your team. Although you may not like it, I think replacing Parasect<Amoonguss is a good change, this can also help against your Keldeo problem.

Amoonguss' set:

Amoonguss @Leftovers
Trait:Regenerator
252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpAtk
Bold Nature (-Atk, +Def)
-Spore
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Clear Smog

Has the same role as Parasect and can stop set-up sweepers (to an extent), the SpAtk EVs are there to break Keldeo's Subs after 2 CMs. This Mon can attack as well, unlike your Parasect (just a tip, you should always have an attack on your pokemon, even if they are defensive, this makes it so the opponent can't freely recover on you or set-up, also Taunt shuts you down).

Hope I helped!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey,

cool team! Parasect seems like a fun pokemon to play with, so it's cool that you're using it. Now, I think your team might have some weaknesses to opposing Sand teams. You've got a lot of pokemon weak to EdgeQuake, and with the proper support of a fighting type or a Dragon type to get past Politoed and Chansey, you could be in for a lot of trouble. Some notable single threats are SForce Landorus, Mamoswine, and Terrakion- all of whom can use EdgeQuake and then coverage to deal massive amounts of damage. If you're comfortable with switching out Parasect, you could try Ferrothorn in it's stead, as it will definitely help against those threats, but I'll just simply add it's set at the end since Parasect is the star and it's probably not a good idea to remove it. Another change that you could make instead would be Physically Defensive Skamory over Dragonite.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish, 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Spikes / Whirlwind / Roost / Brave Bird

I think Skarmory could fulfill a better role for your team. It has a lot more bulk than Dragonite, which lets it take even more hits with impunity. The problem with Dnite is that it's weak and not of too much use- as it's Thurricane coverage doesn't hit very much useful except bulky water types and grass types- both of which can be walled by setup on by Parasect for the former and walled to death by Tenta for the latter. Bulky Skarmory, on the other hand, can fulfill a bulkier role that shuffles as well with greater accuracy and can setup Spikes for you, which will cause even more damage to your opponents when phazed. Skarmory also handles Sand teams a lot better than Dnite, who loses his Multiscale. Another cool thing Skarm does is wall physical Dragons such as Garchomp (another big threat), Dragonite, and Salamence. Whirlwind is what lets you phaze opponents for extra hazard damage, while Roost gives you reliable recovery. Brave Bird is on the last slot to beat Fighting types such as Breloom when needed. Skarm forms a nice defensive core with Chansey that will definitely help your team sponge hits.

To prevent weaknesses to setup sweepers as well as gain another effective way to shuffle your opponent's pokemon, I suggest you use Perish Song over Protect on Politoed. Because your team can be setup on quite easily, the ability to force setup sweepers out should definitely be useful. Perish Song thwarts any and all setup attempts, giving you a good backup answer to those threats. It also can be used as a way to pseudo shuffle, which is great.

If Deo-D becomes problematic, you could try X-scissor on Parasect. To let Chanset thwart choice mons you could give SR to Skarm and then give Chansey Twave. T-Wave could also help vs Sun sweepers too. However, neither of those two seem like too big of a threat, so it's probably not extremely necessary.

That's all I have to say here. Good luck!

Hey, interesting stall team you have here. The use of Parasect, as well as a trapper, is very cool. I have experience with trappers on my stall teams as well; I have trouble playing stall without them.

Although Magneton is a cool idea for stall, I feel like it isn't the best fit for your team. As you said, it helps with eliminating the Steel types which are immune to Poison damage, but it seems like grounded Poison-types are much harder to face. This is because they're not only immune to Toxic damage, but they can absorb Tentacruel's Toxic Spikes just by switching in. Opposing Tentacruel in particular are very annoying because Rain Dish prevents them from being worn down over time, like you would handle other spinners. To help with this problem I would suggest replacing Magneton with a different trapper, Choice Scarf Gothitelle. With Shadow Tag and its Psychic STAB, it can eliminate any Poison types that would give you trouble such as Amoonguss and opposing Tentacruel. In addition to this, Gothitelle also performs a similar function to Magnezone, since it utilizes pseudo-BoltBeam coverage in Thunderbolt and HP Ice to eliminate threats such as Skarmory. To round out its moveset, Trick shuts down walls that its other coverage moves couldn't, like Ferrothorn. Finally, with a Choice Scarf it's able to outspeed and eliminate - with some prior damage - Pokemon that would otherwise be very troubling to your team, such as Taunt Tornadus-T and SD Haxorus. You don't need the power of Specs to take down the aforementioned threats anyway. I'll put the set in importable form below. Hope this helped, good luck!

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Hey, interesting stall team you have here. The use of Parasect, as well as a trapper, is very cool. I have experience with trappers on my stall teams as well; I have trouble playing stall without them.

Although Magneton is a cool idea for stall, I feel like it isn't the best fit for your team. As you said, it helps with eliminating the Steel types which are immune to Poison damage, but it seems like grounded Poison-types are much harder to face. This is because they're not only immune to Toxic damage, but they can absorb Tentacruel's Toxic Spikes just by switching in. Opposing Tentacruel in particular are very annoying because Rain Dish prevents them from being worn down over time, like you would handle other spinners. To help with this problem I would suggest replacing Magneton with a different trapper, Choice Scarf Gothitelle. With Shadow Tag and its Psychic STAB, it can eliminate any Poison types that would give you trouble such as Amoonguss and opposing Tentacruel. In addition to this, Gothitelle also performs a similar function to Magnezone, since it utilizes pseudo-BoltBeam coverage in Thunderbolt and HP Ice to eliminate threats such as Skarmory. To round out its moveset, Trick shuts down walls that its other coverage moves couldn't, like Ferrothorn. Finally, with a Choice Scarf it's able to outspeed and eliminate - with some prior damage - Pokemon that would otherwise be very troubling to your team, such as Taunt Tornadus-T and SD Haxorus. You don't need the power of Specs to take down the aforementioned threats anyway. I'll put the set in importable form below. Hope this helped, good luck!

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick
I have never thought of using Goth on this team im going to try that out

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Sazandoringlps

This is a solid rain stall team you have built here. I used Parasect on one of my own rain teams before and it was quite a joy to use. Now looking at your team, a major threat to it is Dragon Dance Dragon types such as Dragonite, Salamence, and Haxorus. After these threats set up a boost, they can really cause havoc with Outrage and your only Dragon-resist, Magneton, is taken out by Earthquake which is commonly carried by these Dragons for coverage. Another threat to your team is Terrakion, especially the Choice Band variant who can really dent your team with its STAB Close Combat and Stone Edge. To better handle these threats, I suggest replacing Dragonite with a Physically Defensive Skarmory with a moveset of Spikes / Whirlwind / Roost / Brave Bird. Skarmory is one of the best physical walls in the metagame who can easily take Outrages and heal back with Roost as well as provide some defense against Terrakion. Spikes help rack up additional residual damage that a stall team thrives on and Skarmory can phaze with Whirlwind which helps rack up this entry hazard damage and negate stat boosters. Brave Bird is powerful even with Skarmory's low Attack stat and helps the bird work around Taunt. The use of Specially Defensive Dragonite is not necessary for your team as Chansey can take most of the attacks that Dragonite currently walls.

Now for some smaller changes. Being a Stall team, your team really hates being hit with status. Burn and Poison damage really diminish your Pokemon's ability to wall threats and Sleep severely cripples an integral member of your team. To prevent this, I suggest replacing Protect with Heal Bell on Chansey. Heal Bell cures all the status ailments on your team and turns Chansey into a great medic, being able to cure her teammates of status and heal them with Wish. Finally, a trivial change but move the 4 Special Defense EVs on Politoed into Speed so that you can outspeed Defensive Politoeds that are not running any Speed investment.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Set:
Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Brave Bird

tl;dr
Dragonite ----> Physically Defensive Skarmory
Protect on Chansey ----> Heal Bell
4 Special Defense EVs on Politoed ----> 4 Speed EVs

Hi Sazandoringlps

This is a solid rain stall team you have built here. I used Parasect on one of my own rain teams before and it was quite a joy to use. Now looking at your team, a major threat to it is Dragon Dance Dragon types such as Dragonite, Salamence, and Haxorus. After these threats set up a boost, they can really cause havoc with Outrage and your only Dragon-resist, Magneton, is taken out by Earthquake which is commonly carried by these Dragons for coverage. Another threat to your team is Terrakion, especially the Choice Band variant who can really dent your team with its STAB Close Combat and Stone Edge. To better handle these threats, I suggest replacing Dragonite with a Physically Defensive Skarmory with a moveset of Spikes / Whirlwind / Roost / Brave Bird. Skarmory is one of the best physical walls in the metagame who can easily take Outrages and heal back with Roost as well as provide some defense against Terrakion. Spikes help rack up additional residual damage that a stall team thrives on and Skarmory can phaze with Whirlwind which helps rack up this entry hazard damage and negate stat boosters. Brave Bird is powerful even with Skarmory's low Attack stat and helps the bird work around Taunt. The use of Specially Defensive Dragonite is not necessary for your team as Chansey can take most of the attacks that Dragonite currently walls.

Now for some smaller changes. Being a Stall team, your team really hates being hit with status. Burn and Poison damage really diminish your Pokemon's ability to wall threats and Sleep severely cripples an integral member of your team. To protect this, I suggest replacing Wish with Heal Bell on Chansey. Heal Bell cures all the status ailments on your team and turns Chansey into a great medic, being able to cure her teammates of status and heal them with Wish. Finally, a trivial change but move the 4 Special Defense EVs on Politoed into Speed so that you can outspeed Defensive Politoeds that are not running any Speed investment.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Set:
Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Brave Bird

tl;dr
Dragonite ----> Physically Defensive Skarmory
Protect on Chansey ----> Heal Bell
4 Special Defense EVs on Politoed ----> 4 Speed EVs
Thanks for the rate! i have actually started testing out the Skarmory. the other suggestions i'm going to try out and they are ones that my friend actually brought up so thanks for the rate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)