XY Doubles Rain Team! (For Doubles)

Hey guys! I have recently created a rain team that is being tested right now. I am open to any suggestions and I would not mind changing it at all. Anyways, lets get on with the team!​

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 104 HP / 52 SpA / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Scald

I chose Politoed because I needed a reliable rain setter for my team. Due to his ability Drizzle, he can setup the rain easily, and for a long time with his item "Damp Rock", which boosts the amount of turns the weather "Rain" can be active by three turns. His moveset is for providing coverage. Protect can give my second active Pokemon a turn to setup or attack, and the move Scald provides a strong STAB move that can possibly cripple physical attackers with it's 30% chance to burn the target. Focus Blast is for coverage against Ice types that might otherwise resist STAB water moves in the rain, and Ice Beam is to take out scary grass and dragon types that pose a large threat to the team. In all, Politoed is a great Pokemon that keeps the team up and running well.

PaddyTheLudicolo (Ludicolo) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fake Out
- Scald
- Ice Beam

I chose Ludicolo because I needed a good bulky special attacking Pokemon. With his item "Assault Vest" he gains great bulk in his Sp.D. Also, with the rain, Swift Swim doubles his speed, making him enormously fast and allowing him to easily strike with STAB moves like Scald. Giga Drain is also in his set to provide HP recovery. Ice Beam is in there for the same reasons as before, but Fake Out is there to waste a turn for an opposing Pokemon and allow other Pokemon on my side to set up or attack. Ludicolo is a great Pokemon and he really works well in my team.

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Mild Nature
- DynamicPunch
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Power-Up Punch

I chose Machamp because I needed a good and strong physical attacker. Although he works just as great outside of the weather "Rain", he provides great coverage and strength for the team. His ability "No Guard" allows him to hit opponents with the most inaccurate moves, like Dynamic Punch, which has STAB. Power-Up Punch is there to boost Machamp's Attack, and Ice Punch provides great coverage like Ice Beam, but it comes as a physical attack, which is great. The last move, Bullet Punch is to take out scary Fairy types that could devastate the team. Also, with Machamp's item, the Lum Berry, he protects against statuses like poison and burn. Machamp is great to have in the team and has saved me from some tough times!

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Crunch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I chose Manectric because I needed a strong and fast special attacker to provide more offense in the team. He is the only Mega Evolution I am using in this team, and with his Intimidate (Mega-Form) and Lightning Rod (Normal-Form) ability, he can cripple physical attackers and protect Water type team members from taking a scary Electric type attack. His strong Electric type move Thunder has 100% accuracy in the rain, and has STAB. This move also protects his Grass type teammates from Flying type Pokemon in pair with Volt Switch, which gains momentum. Hidden Power Ice is simply to pose as an Ice Beam and take out pesky Ground types. I am considering taking out his move Crunch due to the fact that it is a physical move, which is not Manectric's specialty, but it covers for Psychic types that might otherwise OHKO Machamp. Manectric is a great Pokemon that provides speed and power for the team, and I think that no other Pokemon could take up his role any better.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

I chose Azumarill to provide balance between the Physical and Special offensive Pokemon on the team. Being a physical sweeper he is equipped with the Choice Band, boosting his attack by 1.5. His ability Huge Power doubles his attack and furthermore increases his ability to sweep opposing Pokemon. His main move is Aqua Jet, a priority move, which provides STAB and is boosted by the rain. Waterfall is also there if I ever need a stronger Water attack that Aqua Jet. Ice Punch again is to cover against Grass, Dragon, and Ground types, while Superpower is to provide coverage against Dark types and Ice types. In all, Azumarill is a fun Pokemon to use that has strength and coverage for the team.

Parasect @ Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Cross Poison
- Aromatherapy
- Spore

I chose Parasect because I needed a physical wall to cover for the absence of physically defensive Pokemon on my team. He is really hard to take out due to his Dry Skin ability and his Leftovers item that both allow him to resupply his health in the weather rain. He has two STAB moves, Seed Bomb, and Cross Poison to take out Water types and Fairy types. His other move, Aromatherapy, allows him to heal all status conditions on the team during battle, and Spore can devastate opposing teams by rendering dangerous Pokemon useless. I really think Parasect is great Pokemon that does well on the team!

Well, that is my Rain team!!!! Remember, I am open to any recommendations and suggestions, so feel free to critic this team in any way you like! Thanks!

Last edited:
Awesome! I really like these improvements and I do not see why not to apply them to the team! Thanks!

Here is what I have now:

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Helping Hand
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fake Out
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Machamp @ Lum Berry
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Mild Nature
- DynamicPunch
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Play Rough

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Hopefully it works!

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just some minor adjustments, seeing as KyleCole already covered most things:

1. You're still using Mild on Machamp, but Adamant is what you should be using

2. Put 0 Spe IVs on Amoonguss, as it now under-speeds virtually everything in Trick Room, so it can put pretty much everything to sleep should you find yourself inside Trick Room.

3. I almost feel as if you could run Quick Guard effectively on Machamp instead of Ice Punch. The coverage is negligible, and rather redundant as you already have an Ice type move on 4 other pokemon, and if it's for hitting things like Landorus-T, well you also have 3 pokemon that have STAB water coverage. Quick Guard will help keep Prankster Thunder-Waves, Gale Wings Brave Birds, and Suckerpunch away from Ludicolo / Azumarill in clutch situations.

Overall, solid team, good luck in your battles fren : )

Thanks! Your suggestions are all viable and will improve the team tremendously! There is no point in showing the updated team, as these are just some minor adjustments, but the team sure looks solid! Thanks for the help! :D

Honestly, with no changes your team is good. With the above changes, your team is amazing. Mind if I steal it sometime? This team is really good right now, so these changes are completely optional and you can take my advice with a grain of salt. I would consider running Rain Dance Thunderus over Mainectric. Mainectric is supposed to be a powerful sweeper with intimidate, but Ludicolo is a plenary strong special attacker, so you may not need both of them. If you want to keep Mainectric (which is not a bad idea) you could consider running Rain Dance over HP Ice. You loose out on some major coverage, but you get an auxiliary rain setter. If your luck is -2 times better than mine, you could consider running Hydro Pump over Scald on Ludicolo for the power.

Well that's it for my rates. Feel free to do all of them or none of them. Good luck with your team!!

Thanks! Great suggestions! Rain Dance Thunderus seems like a splendid idea! I'll try that out, and I definitely agree with the Hydro Pump on Ludicolo as well! Thanks for all the help Quazoo306! And yes, you can copy xD.

Here is the new build:
Politoed @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Helping Hand
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- DynamicPunch
- Quick Guard
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Play Rough

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Hopefully the new build works! I really am liking how this team is turning out! :D

Last edited:
Honestly, with no changes your team is good. With the above changes, your team is amazing. Mind if I steal it sometime? This team is really good right now, so these changes are completely optional and you can take my advice with a grain of salt. I would consider running Rain Dance Thunderus over Mainectric. Mainectric is supposed to be a powerful sweeper with intimidate, but Ludicolo is a plenary strong special attacker, so you may not need both of them. If you want to keep Mainectric (which is not a bad idea) you could consider running Rain Dance over HP Ice. You loose out on some major coverage, but you get an auxiliary rain setter. If your luck is -2 times better than mine, you could consider running Hydro Pump over Scald on Ludicolo for the power.

Well that's it for my rates. Feel free to do all of them or none of them. Good luck with your team!!
Thanks! Great suggestions! Rain Dance Thunderus seems like a splendid idea! I'll try that out, and I definitely agree with the Hydro Pump on Ludicolo as well! Thanks for all the help Quazoo306! And yes, you can copy xD.

Here is the new build:
Politoed @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Helping Hand
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- DynamicPunch
- Quick Guard
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Play Rough

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Hopefully the new build works! I really am liking how this team is turning out! :D
Why just why would you use thundurus. Please disregard that rate and use manectric again, it uses mega slot, has fire moves for when ferro walls your team, doesn't add a rock weakness which imo is the worst weakness to have due to rockslide and thundurus doesn't hit nearly as hard, also isn't as fast, always nice to outspeed a shaymin sky on a rain team. Also quazoo you said you don't need two strong special sweepers so you add a weak one instead? Also it is manectric not mainectric <:]

EDIT: As for the issue of two rain setters, keep the toed alive with switches and don't do something like sack it first turn, its drizzle is more then enough and doesn't waste a turn staying in doing nothing.

EDIT2: Oh yeah, I didn't even touch on the fact that manectric gets ONE OF THE BEST ABILITIES IN DOUBLES, the intimidate supports both toed and amoonguss and the general longevity of your team, so no reason to throw it away for a rain setter, something you already have on this team.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was testing Thundurus now that Pokemon Showdown is back up. I did not know why, but he did not do so well so I am going back to Manectric. Thanks for the tip!

Why just why would you use thundurus. Please disregard that rate and use manectric again, it uses mega slot, has fire moves for when ferro walls your team, doesn't add a rock weakness which imo is the worst weakness to have due to rockslide and thundurus doesn't hit nearly as hard, also isn't as fast, always nice to outspeed a shaymin sky on a rain team. Also quazoo you said you don't need two strong special sweepers so you add a weak one instead? Also it is manectric not mainectric <:]

EDIT: As for the issue of two rain setters, keep the toed alive with switches and don't do something like sack it first turn, its drizzle is more then enough and doesn't waste a turn staying in doing nothing.

EDIT2: Oh yeah, I didn't even touch on the fact that manectric gets ONE OF THE BEST ABILITIES IN DOUBLES, the intimidate supports both toed and amoonguss and the general longevity of your team, so no reason to throw it away for a rain setter, something you already have on this team.
The purpose that Manectric serves is a sun check because it can KO Charizard Y with volt switch thus helping win the weather wars. Thundurus can do that too (standard set from the analysis 2HKOes but OHKOes with almost any prior damage), while supporting the team with Taunt and Thunder Wave. I also said that you could run rain dance on Manectric over Volt Switch or HP Ice. Please read the whole post before bashing it. Also, a rock weakness on a rain team isn't that big because he has both a rock resist and 2 Pokemon who can hit most rock slide spammers for rain and STAB boosted SE damage. I said that it was a thought worth testing, not a perfect replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)