SM OU Rain Team ft. Kabutops, no mega ( 1650 + elo )

Introduction

Hi guys, my name is blmckbird and i'm pretty new to pokemon showdown, and i need your advices about how to improve the team i made. I was able to get around 1650 elo with this team, and i think i could go further with a little bit more experience :D

Teambuilding Process

First of all, i choosed Kabutops because i wanted to build a rain team with this pokemon as my main physical sweeper.

Pelipper is an indeed choice for a rain team on the SM OU metagame, no need to explain my choice there :D

Then i needed a special sweeper who could work great on rain, and i thought about Z-Rain Dance Manaphy.

I choosed Ferrothorn because he's pretty strong under rain and he allows me to check several threats.

Then i needed something to check electric types, so i choose lightning rod alolan Marowak.

Lastly, i was looking for a mega pokemon to add to my team, but i found nothing good. I tried mega alakazam, but he wasn't doing so well and i needed some Thunder user. I tried scarfed tapu lele and disliked it aswell, so my choice went on xurkitree, which always surprise my opponent and wins games alone.

The Team

U wot m8 (Kabutops) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
Kabutops is my main physical sweeper, he almost 2HKO any pokemon after a sword dance. I choose to run Superpower instead of Low Kick because low kick deals very poor dmg to Kartana, and he is a scary threat to my team. I use life orb because i already have a Z move with Manaphy.

Lorric (Pelipper) (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost
I choose Pelipper because he's my rain setter. I run a physically defensive EV spread that i found on smogon dex. I choose to use U-turn insteadof defog, i find u-turn more handy and it gives me the momentum i need to setup my sweepers.

Hi im cute (Manaphy) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Psychic
I run Z-move Manaphy because it gives me second rain setter in case Pelliper dies to stealth rocks or anything. He's also a very scary sweeper if i can setup Tail Glow + Z -Rain Dance. In case i don't need Z rain Dance, i can still use Hydro Vortex, which OHKO Ferrothorn after a Tail Glow under the rain.

Iron Bard (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
I choose Ferrothorn because he is a huge wall, especially under rain, and he can check many pokemons and force switches. I choose to run spikes because my team, especially Xurkitree, loves chip dmg in order to activate Beast Boost and sweep :D

Lavender Town (Marowak-Alola) (F) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
Then i choosed Specially defensive alolan Marowak to check electric pokemons, especially Tapu Koko which is a threat to my team. I choose to use Stealth Rock, since i don't have them on Ferrothorn. Not sure about the EV spread btw, maybe you could help me out ;)

Guzma (Xurkitree) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
I needed a special sweeper with stabbed Thunder, and i choosed to use choice scarf on xurkitree, which is pretty uncommon and surprise a lot of people. If i can remove his checks (mostly ground poke) i can just spam thunder under rain and kill all the enemy squad. His coverage is great overall, giving me ice, grass and fairy moves that i lacked.

Conclusion

This was my first RMT, i hope i did it correctly, and i'm sorry for my poor english. I hope you will help me to improve this team that i created all by myself and i really like playing with :D

U wot m8 (Kabutops) (M) @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Superpower

Lorric (Pelipper) (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Hi im cute (Manaphy) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Psychic

Iron Bard (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Lavender Town (Marowak-Alola) (F) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock

Guzma (Xurkitree) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hi man, I'll try to give a rate to this team.

Firstly, I like the idea of rain + kabutops because kabutops can actually be threatening for a lot of stuff in sm plus its speed is very good rain since it's doubled. So, since you don't run a Z Move on your team, why don't you try Rockium Z Kabutops? This will help you wearing down easily some fat grass types after a swords dance and doing pressure to mon such as tapu fini as well :) Low kick is for ferrothorns btw.

Kabutops @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Low Kick

Secondly, I suggest you trying to use Kingdra > Xurkitree. This monster actually abuses of rain reaching 500+ speed while hitting so hard the majority of the mons, and Kabutops can help it by wearing down grass types as I said before, like Venusaur or Tangrowth (+2 Continental Crush etc). Kingdra's set can be this but you, of course, can slash hidden power electric to ice beam if you want to :D

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Draco Meteor

Another thing I wanna point out is your gengar weakness. In order to cover this, you can run Tornadus-Therian whose Hurricane will be busted since of the rain so it won't miss (FINALLY). plus this helps, with Scizor Mega (check below) for gaining momentum as well :) you can run heat wave or hidden power ice, but i feel more comfortable with the second one since it can hit landorus-t better and in addition, heat wave isn't strong under rain :pirate:

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Finally, I'd put Mega Scizor > Manaphy. Since you have already lots of water types, you can switch manaphy and put this monster. This helps a ton since you can gain momentum while this will be powered since there's rain and fire moves won't hit that hard as they usually do without it. It also helps wearing down some threats such as Mega Metagross and stuff like fairies. I'd say this mon is fundamental since Scizor helps a lot in rain for the momentum, and that's one of the most important things :) with this being sad, here you are the set. P.S Since I added Zor, I put Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn and removed spikes!

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 60 Def / 124 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

<- Importable

gl hf for the team man! I hope I helped :toast:

Firstly, I like the idea of rain + kabutops because kabutops can actually be threatening for a lot of stuff in sm plus its speed is very good rain since it's doubled. So, since you don't run a Z Move on your team, why don't you try Rockium Z Kabutops? This will help you wearing down easily some fat grass types after a swords dance and doing pressure to mon such as tapu fini as well :) Low kick is for ferrothorns btw.

Kabutops @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Low Kick

Secondly, I suggest you trying to use Kingdra > Xurkitree. This monster actually abuses of rain reaching 500+ speed while hitting so hard the majority of the mons, and Kabutops can help it by wearing down grass types as I said before, like Venusaur or Tangrowth (+2 Continental Crush etc). Kingdra's set can be this but you, of course, can slash hidden power electric to ice beam if you want to :D

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

Another thing I wanna point out is your gengar weakness. In order to cover this, you can run Tornadus-Therian whose Hurricane will be busted since of the rain so it won't miss (FINALLY). plus this helps, with Scizor Mega (check below) for gaining momentum as well :) you can run heat wave or hidden power ice, but i feel more comfortable with the second one since it can hit landorus-t better and in addition, heat wave isn't strong under rain :pirate:

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Finally, I'd put Mega Scizor > Manaphy. Since you have already lots of water types, you can switch manaphy and put this monster. This helps a ton since you can gain momentum while this will be powered since there's rain and fire moves won't hit that hard as they usually do without it. It also helps wearing down some threats such as Mega Metagross and stuff like fairies. I'd say this mon is fundamental since Scizor helps a lot in rain for the momentum, and that's one of the most important things :) with this being sad, here you are the set. P.S Since I added Zor, I put Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn and removed spikes!

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

<- Importable

Kabutops @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Low Kick

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

<- Importable

3 are weak to electric and only 1 resistance, 2 weak to Rock and only 1 resistance
Team still needs work after those changes, also there is no form of hazard removal on any of the Pokemon sets. You could have suggested he replaced Xukitree with Koko or Defiant Thunderus. Also scizor is not needed as Ferrothorn checks potential threats to the team, I would replace Scizor with A Magnezone or terrakion

C0RIN

Banned deucer.

Kabutops @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Low Kick

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

<- Importable

NEED FOR GARCHOMPS

Really electric weak and I truly think that using stealth rocks garchomp over kabutops would be great as it gives an electric immunity and turns the team into a form of hazard stack(implying you have empos changes).I think using garchomp over kabutops works better than over mega scizor,since mega scizor can deal with threats like Metagross-mega that your team struggles with.

Garchomp @ life orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

BULKY GARCHOMP
Bulky also works well as a better check to non HP ice volcarona/charizard-y which is great for you just in case pelliper is gone which the opponent would try to accomplish as much as possible so it's a possibility.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

I hope my rating helped you a bit.I wish you luck in your future games!~C0RIN

https://pastebin.com/2E0RsKj8 ~bulky garchomp
https://pastebin.com/3mWWRnD7 ~offensive garchomp

Last edited:

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
3 are weak to electric and only 1 resistance, 2 weak to Rock and only 1 resistance
Team still needs work after those changes, also there is no form of hazard removal on any of the Pokemon sets. You could have suggested he replaced Xukitree with Koko or Defiant Thunderus. Also scizor is not needed as Ferrothorn checks potential threats to the team, I would replace Scizor with A Magnezone or terrakion
what are you saying? this is an offensive team and if you haven't noticed there's a FERROTHORN that is an electric resist. in addition it resists well things like hp fire koko in rain. i dont really know what youre saying about hazard removal too lol. this is an offense and its rain so you can't just add something over something else because the team is cool how it is right now, or you might change like 3 mons and create another version but whats wrong with my rate? if you really want te defogger you can add defog over hurricane on pelipper but i dont really care and i play rain in a more offensive way than you do. every team dont have to get a defogger like if its mandatory. also zor is useful bc it gives momentum to rain which is extremely important and it tanks a lot of physical attacker mons like drill or stuff so just don't change it. furthermore it can become a cool wincondition sometimes due to swords dance.

NEED FOR GARCHOMPS

Really electric weak and I truly think that using stealth rocks garchomp over kabutops would be great as it gives an electric immunity and turns the team into a form of hazard stack(implying you have empos changes).I think using garchomp over kabutops works better than over mega scizor,since mega scizor can deal with threats like Metagross-mega that your team struggles with.

Garchomp @ life orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

BULKY GARCHOMP
Bulky also works well as a better check to non HP ice volcarona/charizard-y which is great for you just in case pelliper is gone which the opponent would try to accomplish as much as possible so it's a possibility.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

I hope my rating helped you a bit.I wish you luck in your future games!~C0RIN

https://pastebin.com/2E0RsKj8 ~bulky garchomp
https://pastebin.com/3mWWRnD7 ~offensive garchomp
...are you saying that garchomp is an electric resist? hello man? every electric carries things like hp ice just watch koko thundurus raikou zapdos...just don't say that like if you're convinced. in addition you need kabutops so much and i have already explained it in the rate.

I think using garchomp over kabutops works better than over mega scizor,since mega scizor can deal with threats like Metagross-mega that your team struggles with.
what did i just read. do you really think that an offensive garchomp or even a defensive one can tank mega metagross well? hell no. the offensive one can't even switch once because it will just gets 2hkoed by meteor mash, and did you know that Ice Punch Metagross exists? ur rate is pointless to me sorry

Last edited:

C0RIN

Banned deucer.
what are you saying? this is an offensive team and if you haven't noticed there's a FERROTHORN that is an electric resist. in addition it resists well things like hp fire koko in rain. i dont really know what youre saying about hazard removal too lol. this is an offense and its rain so you can't just add something over something else because the team is cool how it is right now, or you might change like 3 mons and create another version but whats wrong with my rate? if you really want te defogger you can add defog over hurricane on pelipper but i dont really care and i play rain in a more offensive way than you do. every team dont have to get a defogger like if its mandatory. also zor is useful bc it gives momentum to rain which is extremely important and it tanks a lot of physical attacker mons like drill or stuff so just don't change it. furthermore it can become a cool wincondition sometimes due to swords dance.

...are you saying that garchomp is an electric resist? hello man? every electric carries things like hp ice just watch koko thundurus raikou zapdos holy fuck man just don't say that like if you're convinced. in addition you need kabutops so much and i have already explained it in the rate.

what did i just read. do you really think that an offensive garchomp or even a defensive one can tank mega metagross well? hell no. the offensive one can't even switch once because it will just gets 2hkoed by meteor mash, and did you know that Ice Punch Metagross exists? ur rate is pointless to me sorry
I never said that offensive GARCHOMPS tanks mega Metagross-mega lol,and also I should have said electric check,not resist my bad.If I ever said that GARCHOMPS tanks Metagross-mega then it's probably a typo.Ientioned mega scizor to sayw hy you should not use chomp over zor not that you should.Also yes HP fire electric users are a huge threat,even in rain it is still a 3-4 hit ko depending on Spdef ferro or not iirc,thats implying rain is always set up every turn ferro is in lol.That gives me another reason why chomp could be considered.I feel overall it's a much safer option.Also why would you get mad over a simple "good" suggestion,even if you don't agree with it.

Last edited:

Empo

World Defender
I never said that offensive GARCHOMPS tanks mega Metagross-mega lol,and also I should have said electric check,not resist my bad.If I ever said that GARCHOMPS tanks Metagross-mega then it's probably a typo.Ientioned mega scizor to sayw hy you should not use chomp over zor not that you should.Also yes HP fire electric users are a huge threat,even in rain it is still a 3-4 hit ko depending on Spdef ferro or not iirc,thats implying rain is always set up every turn ferro is in lol.That gives me another reason why chomp could be considered.I feel overall it's a much safer option.
hmm i get your point yeah but if you really wanna slash kabutops do it with the offensive version. sash with outrage | swords dance | earthquake | stealth rock is the way to go, and therefore you can add spikes to ferrothorn as you said yeh. i still feel like kabu is better reaching a ton of speed + z move and sd so yeah but you can try chomp if you meant that

C0RIN

Banned deucer.
hmm i get your point yeah but if you really wanna slash kabutops do it with the offensive version. sash with outrage | swords dance | earthquake | stealth rock is the way to go, and therefore you can add spikes to ferrothorn as you said yeh. i still feel like kabu is better reaching a ton of speed + z move and sd so yeah but you can try chomp if you meant that
Makes sense,sorry if I got by your post or ifi annoyed you.

...are you saying that garchomp is an electric resist? hello man? every electric carries things like hp ice just watch koko thundurus raikou zapdos...just don't say that like if you're convinced. in addition you need kabutops so much and i have already explained it in the rate.

Did you not read what i wrote? Having only 1 resistance to a x4 weakness on 1 Pokemon and a x2 on another 2 is very Bad, ferrothorn is not sufficient enough to be an immediate switch in to every electric move and no mention that Banded Ttar destroys this team and you have Nothing that can revenge kill it once Sand stream gets up you are forced to bring ferrothron and its gonna take a shit load from Crunch, Also with no hazard removal which getting rid of rocks is very important in the meta this team just gets chipped off and has no answers to HO.

Empo

World Defender
Did you not read what i wrote? Having only 1 resistance to a x4 weakness on 1 Pokemon and a x2 on another 2 is very Bad, ferrothorn is not sufficient enough to be an immediate switch in to every electric move and no mention that Banded Ttar destroys this team and you have Nothing that can revenge kill it once Sand stream gets up you are forced to bring ferrothron and its gonna take a shit load from Crunch, Also with no hazard removal which getting rid of rocks is very important in the meta this team just gets chipped off and has no answers to HO.
i told you already, if you are aware of that, try defog over hurricane on pelipper. or if you really want hurricane then drop something for spin on kabutops but i feel that kabutops' set is cool already

i told you already, if you are aware of that, try defog over hurricane on pelipper. or if you really want hurricane then drop something for spin on kabutops but i feel that kabutops' set is cool already
Why are you avoiding the subject at hand? When clearly both My previous comments where strictly Purposed about how the team has Certain Type weaknesses, hazards removal was just something that is an unspoken rule.Explain to me your switch ins for Rock and electric Pokemon after Ferrothorn is gone, that team has non that's why...You gave this man a team that's going to get him more losses than he already has with those changes. I'm sorry to be so Blank but it's the truth. I wouldn't want to give people a half ass team.

Empo

World Defender
Why are you avoiding the subject at hand? When clearly both My previous comments where strictly Purposed about how the team has Certain Type weaknesses, hazards removal was just something that is an unspoken rule.Explain to me your switch ins for Rock and electric Pokemon after Ferrothorn is gone, that team has non that's why...You gave this man a team that's going to get him more losses than he already has with those changes. I'm sorry to be so Blank but it's the truth. I wouldn't want to give people a half ass team.
before talking randomly, try the team on the ladder or wherever you want. you will notice that this is an offensive team as i stated million times. as i said it doesn't count how many rock resistance i have, HAVING 1 IS OK. do you know how hyper offensive teams are built? holy hell. just think about bird spam. is that a shit team because it only has excadrill as a electric resistor and has 3 flying types? damn lol must be a bad team xDD. you're clueless man. if you wanna do a rain stall then do it i don't care, add 435978 rock resists and do what you want. you just can't say that this team is shit if you don't even know how is structured an offensive team saying that is bad just because it has ferrothorn lol! so yea you can try whatever you want and can replace all the mons u want but shut up before saying things randomly and pointless. thank you.

before talking randomly, try the team on the ladder or wherever you want. you will notice that this is an offensive team as i stated million times. as i said it doesn't count how many rock resistance i have, HAVING 1 IS OK. do you know how hyper offensive teams are built? holy hell. just think about bird spam. is that a shit team because it only has excadrill as a electric resistor and has 3 flying types? damn lol must be a bad team xDD. you're clueless man. if you wanna do a rain stall then do it i don't care, add 435978 rock resists and do what you want. you just can't say that this team is shit if you don't even know how is structured an offensive team saying that is bad just because it has ferrothorn lol! so yea you can try whatever you want and can replace all the mons u want but shut up before saying things randomly and pointless. thank you.
You gave this man a Half ass team, and this isnt HO because HO doesn't have any momentem killers which this team does. You can't call this team HO maybe BO but not HO and you still didn't answer my question how the Hell do you handel electric and rock types after Ferro is gone? You don't believe this team gets dicked by them after sand is up and The Electric types threatened your Flying and water types.You are still avoiding the subject from the very VERY beginning.

Empo

World Defender
You gave this man a Half ass team, and this isnt HO because HO doesn't have any momentem killers which this team does. You can't call this team HO maybe BO but not HO and you still didn't answer my question how the Hell do you handel electric and rock types after Ferro is gone? You don't believe this team gets dicked by them after sand is up and The Electric types threatened your Flying and water types.You are still avoiding the subject from the very VERY beginning.
I didn't say this is an HO but I said this is an OFFENSIVE TEAM WHICH IS DIFFERENT. in the other message i just said generally how offensive and ho ones are built. if this is offense whyd u need to handle electric and rock types? just be careful and not let ferrothorn die THAT'S IT. and didn't you know that i have pokemons called REVENGE KILLERS which just kill those rock types and electric ones like kingdra and kabutops???? holy fuck man you're starting to be annoying.

Last edited:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Enenra - could you please stop picking on Empo's suggestions as his points are very valid in that this is an offensive team and does not need multiple switch-ins to every single type. You're thinking too much from a defensive point of view, while offensive teams rely more on synergy and keeping the opposition under pressure, which Empo's suggestions accomplish well. So please stop questioning him. This has been dragged on for too long and is derailing the thread, so any further posts on this matter will be deleted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)