Rain team RMT

Hey guys, this is my first team and i really like the idea of a rain concept with gyarados, he's my favorite. This is what i've come up with so far from reading various articles and so forth and I'm looking to see what holes i may have left uncovered since I'm still not sure what threats may come across this team.

Politoed @ leftovers
Drizzle
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold
-Scald
-Perish Song
-Toxic
-Protect

Politoed is obviously the staple of this team being the weather inducer. His moveset is purely defensive to help with the entry hazards, and to make sure he stays alive long enough for him to deal with other weather inducing teams as well. Toxic to help deal with walls, Perish song to force out entry hazards and baton passers, scald for the STAB and 30% burn chance, and protect to help with stalling in case i run into some trouble.

Tentacruel @ lefotvoers
Rain Dish
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpecD
Timid
-Toxic
-Rapid Spin
-Scald
-Substitute

My Rapid Spinner/Wall breaker. Rain Dish in the rain combined with lefotvers gives me a GREAT recovery rate especially when investing his EVS in HP and Defense considering his already naturally good Special D. This helps me use his rapid spin when walls are brought out to get rid of entry hazards while minimizing damage and causing many debilitating status effects. Substitute helps me wall off sweepers, and the health loss will be made up no time with the leftovers/Rain Dish combo

Gyarados @ choice band
Intimidate
252 Atk / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Jolly
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake
-Double Edge

Alright so time for some brute force with gyarados. Obviously benefiting from Rain, Stab, and Attack EVS watterfall is the move of choice. This mixed sweeper ev set also helps him make use of earthquake to help with those pesky electric sweepers like Rotom-W when they come out. Choice band obviously to help boost his already massive attack for 2Hko Status.

Ferrothorn @ leftovers
relaxed
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Iron Barbs
-Spikes
-Power Whip
-Stealth Rock
-Protect

Ferrothorn is the defense on my team, being one of the best mixed walls in the game. His moveset is pretty standard, however i chose protect over gyro ball as a just in case defense mechanic. Leftovers to help him tank and the EV spread just makes him even tankier.

Tornadus@Choice Specs
Prankster
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid
-Hurricane
-Hammer arm
-Rain Dance
-Taunt

The Spec sweeper of the team, this build is obviously to abuse Hurricane in the rain. Choice spec to boost his already great SpA, and to OHKO pokemons and even possibly deal great damage to steel types. Hammer arm for some type coverage, for example tyranitars, and taunt to help deal with walls. Rain dance is a just in case politoed fades out, doesn't hurt to have a second weather inducer.

Jolteon@leftovers
volt absorb
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Thunder
-Hidden Power Ice

So this is the last of my pokemon after I looked at the team and decided I needed some utility. Substitute and baton pass is a great combination for helping my sweepers survive or even maybe politoed when i need to induce weather. Thunder to be abused in rain when possible and hidden power ice for some type coverage. The EV spread really helps with his already naturally high SpA and Spe

So there you have it, my rain team. I'm open to all positive criticism and any help anyone can offer cause again, I'm totally brand new at this, thanks for reading.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hey,

Good team Koosnad, it looks very nice. First off a spread of 252Atk/ 4SpD/ 252Spe is far more efficient on Gyarados to guarantee speed ties with opposing Gyarados and to beat many other mon's. Also using Stone Edge > Double Edge offers far better coverage. With Tentacruel you may want to try using Toxic Spikes/ Protect > Substitute. Toxic Spikes Punishes the opponent for switching and makes for easier stall outs of dangerous set up sweepers, while Protect just stalls out in general.

Ferrothorn's set looks all good except Protect isn't that good on it unless your running Leech Seed. Thats why I think you should use Thunder Wave > Protect. Considering Gyarados's lackluster speed, he greatly appreciates going first to hit hard with his powerful attacks before he gets beaten down.

GL

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Koosnad

Welcome to Smogon and cool rain team you have here; I really like your creative use of Sub+Baton Pass Jolteon. However, I do have some suggestions for you. One of the major threats to your team is Dragon Dance Dragonite. After a DD boost, he outspeeds your entire team and hits hard with Outrage while Fire Punch still does a number to Ferrothorn even in rain. Another threat to your team is Sub+Calm Mind Jirachi. Jirachi can set up on a number of your Pokemon (Ferrothorn, Tornadus/Gyarados locked into a resisted move) and proceed to wreck havoc with Thunder and Water Pulse. Lastly, Choice Specs Tornadus-T, one of the biggest threats in the Black and White 2 metagame, is also quite formidable to your team. Every member is 2HKO'd if not OHKO'd by Specs Hurricane and Jolteon cannot rely check Tornadus-T due to the former's frail defenses. For these threats, I suggest replacing Gyarados with a Life Orb Mamoswine with a moveset of Ice Shard / Icicle Crash / Earthquake / Superpower. Mamoswine is one of he best Dragon type checks in the game with its massive attack stat and STAB priority Ice Shard. He can use the same attack to eliminate Tornadus-T after it has taken some prior damage. Although Mamoswine is not the best counter to Jirachi, he can easily dispatch if it by hitting it with Earthquake on a predicted switchin. Superpower in the last moveslot hits Rotom-W on the switch. Losing Gyarados means you'll lose the ability to Indimidate physical attackers such as Scizor and Lucario but you already have a great check to these threats in Tentacruel.

Now for some smaller changes. On Tornadus I recommend replacing Taunt with Tailwind. Using Taunt on a Choice locked Pokemon is inefficient as you will often be forced to switch out after using the move, wasting turns of Taunt and giving your opponent a free turn on the switchin. Tailwind is more useful with Tornadus' Prankster ability, allowing another of your Pokemon to revenger kill a sweeper that would potentially run through your team. Lastly, use Leech Seed over Protect on Ferrothorn. Leech Seed provides you with a steady form of recovery and wears down your opponent. It also puts a timer on the lifespan of set-up sweepers as they lose 12.5% of their HP every turn.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Set:
Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Ice Shard
-Icicle Crash
-Earthquake
-Superpower

tl;dr
Gyarados ----> Life Orb Mamoswine
Taunt on Tornadus ----> Tailwind
Protect on Ferrothorn ----> Leech Seed

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, cool team you got there. I like the way you use Jolteon; it really helps your team. However, though you do have cool substitutes to pass to your teammates, there are no pokemon that can actually take advantage of those substitutes- in other words, you have no set up sweepers. This is never necessarily a bad thing, it's just that since you have such a reliable source of dummies, why not use them the best you can? First off, I would recommend changing Gyarados to a Dragon Dance set. Jolteon can pass Gyarados a substitute using Baton Pass, and as Gyarados switches in, his Intimidate will weaken the opponent so there is a less of a chance that the sub will break. Then, Gyara can dance to +1 Atk and +1 Spe, or even more if the opponent decides to switch out. Then, you can proceed to sweep.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
176 HP / 128 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature, Intimidate
~Dragon Dance
~Waterfall
~Stone Edge
~Bounce

The site recommends Taunt in this set, but I took it out because you will be behind a substitute, so there is generally less need to worry about status / being set up on. Especially because of Dragon Dance.

I also think it would be best to, yes, as Novaray said, replace Protect with Leech Seed, but also replace your leftovers for a Rocky Helmet. Since Ferrothorn is a physically defensive beast, your opponent will often lose more damage than they caused due to both Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs- which together cause 29% damage. Then, with Leech Seed, the total rises to 41%, every turn, not counting your own possible Power Whip. How's that for fair damage input.

Again, nice team. Good luck with it!

TY for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate the time you took to read and will take all advice into consideration. I'm going to try the dragon dance Gyarados before removing him for mamoswine though I really don't wanna see him off the team, but if i have to i will.

Hey there. Neat team you got here man. I have a couple of suggestions though. First off you should try Black Sludge over Leftovers. You still regain the same amount of HP at the end of the turn like Leftovers but if Tentacruel gets hit by Trick or Switcheroo the opposing Pokemon will receive Black Sludge and if they are not a Poison-type then they will lose 12.5% of their maximum HP at the end of each turn. Rotom-W also looks like it can give you headaches especially if they are Scarfed. Once Ferrothorn is down you are going to have a hard time. If the opponent Hydro Pumps predicting a Jolteon switch in, Jolteon is toast and then can proceed to KO the rest of your team with Thunderbolt. Jolteon seems to be the weak point of the team so I suggest running replacing Jolteon with a Offensive Calm Mind Virizion. Virizion can basically shrug off Rotom-W's attacks like they are nothing. Here are some calculations of Scarfed Rotom-W's attacks against Virizion.

Calculations
Volt Switch: 12.03 - 14.5%
Hydro Pump: 31.17 - 36.72%
HP Fire: 16.66 - 19.75%
Thunderbolt: 16.66 - 19.44%
HP Ice: 32.71 - 38.88%

Virizion can proceed to Calm Mind up or just Giga Drain Rotom. Here is the set.

Set

Virizion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Since Virizion is already naturally bulky, Special Defense EVs aren't necessary, but feel free to add some if you prefer the extra bulk.

Hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)