1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Rain Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by spooky96, Nov 24, 2012.

1. spooky96

spooky96

Hello Smogon community. I've recently made a team (using for about a week or two) which I guess can be called a rain team. I usually don't go for whether-related teams as its sometimes difficult to win the whether war. Despite this, I've made a team, and I would like to see your opinion, comments and suggestions about my team.

There's one thing, I do not completely follow the sets which there are on the website or which normally people use. I guess its a good thing because sometimes its good that the prediction about the set and the EVs that they expect would be wrong. So anyways, let me tell you guys my team.

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 DEF / 136 SPD
    Nature: Relaxed +DEF, -SPE
    -Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Gyro Ball
    -Thunder Wave

Main purpose of Ferrothorn is to set up as many layers of entry hazards as possible. Thunder Wave is to cripple enemy's speed in case he tries to set up with moves such as Dragon Dance. Gyro Ball is for hitting a Pokemon if it Taunts my Ferrothorn. Though I'm thinking of replacing Gyro Ball with another move. Though as a lead, Magnazone can easily kill it with a Hidden Power Fire, but usually when I see Magnazone, I don't put Ferrothorn as my lead, I use Politoed instead.

[​IMG]
    Politoed @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SPA / 4 SPE
    Nature: Modest +SPA, -ATT
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Hidden Power Grass
    -Focus Blast

Using the Special Attacker set here. Main use to set up rain for the 2 other Pokemons in my team. Also to hit hard with Hydro Pump usually, but also to take one hit from enemy's move and still be able to survive. Didn't go for any for Specs or Scarf, as I found this set for Politoed the most useful.

[​IMG]
    Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 252 HP / 124 DEF / 132 SPD
    Nature: Bold +DEF, -ATT
    -Scald
    -Toxic
    -Rest
    -Roar

Using the Hydration Wall set here.Main Pokemon for taking out enemy's Pokemons, and it has usually worked. Boosted Scald with Rain does decent damage. Plus have Toxic to beat a Pokemon it can't be taken out by Scald. Rest is for obvious reason, so that it can restore HP. No status in reason really helps Vaporeon a lot. Roar is for any Pokemon who tries to set up or blow away a Pokemon hiding behind a substitute. I really think that set is so overlooked.

[​IMG]
    Gengar @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SPA / 252 SPE / 4 HP
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast
    -Psychic

I know its extremely strange to keep Scarf on Gengar, but I use it for revenge killing. With a Scarf, it out speeds almost every Pokemon in the game, plus if only boosted by +1 speed, it still out speeds some of the Pokemon. As Scarf is never expected on Gengar, this further helps me out. Great high power special moves with good overall coverage along with Gengar's monstrous special attack paired with boosted speed. Sucker Punch is kind of rare, that's why I don't have much issues with it. Gengar usually survives one priority move if he's at full HP.

[​IMG]
    Alakazam @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Magic Guard
    -Psychic
    -Focus Blast
    -Energy Ball
    -Signal Beam

The normal Sash set for Alakazam's set for really hitting hard with one of its move. Its high base Special attack really does a lot of damage, after some layers of entry hazards, can also be used as a sweeper, as it guarantees to survive at least one move as its of a Sash, its incredible ability ensures that entry hazards and sandstorms are useless. Great Pokemon in my opinion and is always helpful. Though Fake out really makes it useless, but its kind of rare. Also sometimes I doubt if I should use Shadow Ball instead of Signal Beam or some other move. Your opinion?

[​IMG]
    Celebi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Care
    -Calm Mind
    -Giga Drain
    -Water Pulse
    -Hidden Power Ice

I had a lot of time thinking what should be #6. Tried some Pokemon too such as Scizor, Rhypherior and Electiwire as Rotom-W is everywhere spamming its Volt Switch which hurts my Politoed and Vaporeon a lot. Celebi takes all his moves like a boss, and if its goes for the Will-o-wisp, there's always Natural Care to heal the burn or any other status which it gets. I've tried both of the defensive set for Celebi, but this one came out to be more handy for me. After a Calm Mind Celebi does great damage and on the other hand is able to survive special fire moves plus Rain reduces damages so that it isn't completely destroyed by fire moves. Though sometimes it still gets destroyed by strong fire moves even in the rain >_>

So there's my team. Now there are obvious flaws in my team.

1) All Special Attackers, meaning Special Walls such as Chansey and Bissey can easily wall my team with no issues.
    2) Whether dependent team. Main Pokemon for taking out enemy's Pokemon Vaporoen depends on Rain, if no rain, Hydration is pretty useless. Celebi and Ferrothorn too can't survive a fire move without rain.
    3) Rotom-W still sometimes creates problem for me.
    4) No Priority move.

Uhm...so that's that. Can you think of other problems too? Though the ones which I listed are the ones which I've suffered through.

I would like to hear your comments, suggestion and opinions of my team. Thank you very much for taking the time to read through it. Thanks!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. ra02

ra02

Well, for one thing t-wave does not mesh well with gyro ball as it lowers the damage done, i'd suggest power whip>gyro ball.
    Also, switch either zam or gar for a dragon.
    If you switch it with gar use scarfmoxiemence as with zam, idk.
  3. spooky96

spooky96

Hmm Yeah I guess you're right about Ferrothorn. Gyro Ball isn't being very helpful lately. Power Whip would be a better option. Maybe Leech Seed too.

I wouldn't mind using a Dragon, but there's no way I'm using a Salamance or Dragonite. Ice Shard is quite common and they both get destroyed by it. I've used the Moxie set before for Salamence, its excellent, but really gets crippled by Ice Shard.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)