Rainy Daze

Why do you have perish song and encore on politoed, if you're playing against baton pass don't bother encoring, perish song is also passed.

Hey Smogon!

I haven't really been using this team all that much recently (I like to take breaks every now and again with different playstyles or teams). I'm going to come back soon with an update to this team and try to get a fresh perspective on it. I want to thank everyone for giving your critiques and suggestions, they've been very helpful. This is just a heads up and if anyone has anything new for me to try with this team, let me know.

Thanks everyone! =)

Why do you have perish song and encore on politoed, if you're playing against baton pass don't bother encoring, perish song is also passed.
What good BP team doesn't run an attacking move on every Pokemon to hit Perish Song'rs or a Mr. Mime..?

Emeral

toward new horizons
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
Hello Jolteon.
I'm not good in rain team but the first thing that I saw in the yours is the weakness to stealth rock. Indeed, playing Volcarona and Tornadus without a rapid spinner is an error. Then, without spinner it's will be harder to keep the rain of the field if your oponnent uses spikes, so I think really that a rapid spinner would be welcome in your team.
I suggest you to use Starmie over Vaporeon. Like Vaporeon, starmie will be able to cause huge dammage with le life orb and it will be also able to remove the hentries hasards from the field.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Then, you don't have any steel type in your team. Latios just wrecks this team each time it uses draco meteor, dragonite@DD is just nightmare for you. I think you should use Scizor or Jirachi (as you want) to reduce this weakness !

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Calm Mind

Hope I helped you !

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I nominated your team for the RMT archives a while ago. Good luck getting it accepted and such.

Wow Lavos, that's really awesome. I don't even know what to say. This makes we want to make this team much better now. It hasn't really gotten the intese usage that it should from me, but now I want to make it great.

Thanks again =)

yes, a sub+dd gyrados would be great.
still weak to SR but now you get a sweeper that can beat gastrodon and ferrothorn and it lures in thunderbolts for jolteon to take.

Emeral

toward new horizons
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
Gyarados DD is a very good idea in place of Volcarona because Volcarona needs to have lot of support while Gyarados can easily sweep a team.
Use Gyarados with Moxie as ability, max speed and attack and use substitute + bounce.

Gl ;)

Well, Tornadus does have Tailwind, which can help Jolteon revenge-kill faster mons. I don't see this team supporting Volcarona too well, since you lack a Rapid Spinner, but I may be wrong here. If I were to pick a POkemon to remove for 3-atk LO Starmie, it would be Volcarona. You don't need Rain Dance on Starmie anymore, so I would go with Ice Beam.
Yes agreeing with Pocket . Anyway , it's a nice team .

The only problem I foresee with using Gyara is that four of my pokes ('Toed, 'Nadus, Vap and Gyara) would all be weak to Electric type attack and 2 would be SR weak...

The only other 'mon that would still be a physical sweeper and not have these weaknesses would be Swampert, maybe a hard hitting choice set or a more bulky lefties set. I'm not opposed to using him, it just seems that Gyarados would add to an already large weakness. Idk, I'll test it out.

Just a quick update: I L-O-V-E Dragon Dance Moxie Gyarados. I'll probably update the team later tonight. I do have a significant SR weakness though between 'Dos and Tornadus. May replace Vappy with rapid spin Starmie if it gets too bad. But I love Vaporeon so much ='(

In my opinion , Substitute is better than Eq/Body Slam , because you can come and set up on Ferrothorn ( if he doesn't have Power Whip ) , you can set up on Jirachi ( If he has Wish Body Slam Iron Head Protect ) , and it can protect you from a faster scarf like Terrakion , Landorus , Latios etc ...
With the rain Waterfall is boosted , it can hurt Rotom-W . In addition , Subsitute+Bounce it's a nice trick .

You can also put Focus Blast over Hidden Power Grass on Politoed , because you really need to kill Ferrothorn , and you are not weak to Gastrodon . You can kill Gastrodon with your Vaporeon .

So if you want to have SR , you can switch your Breloom for Celebi , it can set up SR , and counter Rotom-W with a little of EV's in SpD .

Good and original team anyway !

It's a tough choice for the Gyarados set but I'll try it out and see if I like it.

As for Toed, I really wouldn't want to keep him in on a Ferrothorn anyway at the risk of taking a Power Whip. Besides, Breloom counters Ferrothorn perfectly. But you are right, Ferrothorn in rain is really hard to take down since fire attacks are essentially cut in half. Hurricane still hits it hard and Breloom can Bulk Up on it.

I like Celebi a lot. Pretty much anytime I play a more defensive oriented team, I know I'm going to have Celebi on it. It's so useful and versatile you can do pretty much anything you want with it. The only problem is that I really need a physical sweeper like Breloom. While Celebi can run a Swords Dance set, it's pretty gimmicky. In the bad way.

I will be the first to admit though that Stealth Rocks is an incredibly useful move. Basically the bane of the omnipresent Multiscale Dragonite and focus sashers alike. So I guess what I'm trying to say is this: while my team would appreciate SR, I don't find it important enough to replace one of my best sweepers. I would maybe still be open to replacing a different 'mon if the reward is greater than the loss.

If you have Focus blast over HP Grass , you can hit hard Ferrothorn on the switch whit some predicts .
But , to each team has her weaknesses and strengths. I understand your choice and it's just good like that.

Hmm... well I guess I wouldn't really use Toed to counter an opposing water type anyway as I have 3 other pokemon who can do that. So I'll try it out. None of Politoed's moves are going to be very accurate though lol.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Hey there on your Gyarados set I would scratch EQ and put in its place either Double-Edge or Return. They both OHKO Scarfed Rotom(iirc) and they are both a lot stronger than Body Slam. I personally prefer Double Edge for the power but it does come with an insane amount of recoil so Return can do the job too. Good Luck!

I recommend that last slot on Gyarados be replaced with Substitute. With that, you can set up as Sub as Rotom-W switches in, take the Volt Switch breaking the Sub as their forced to switch out and Dragon Dance, Dragon Dance again as Rotom-W comes back in, and KO with Bounce. Sub also blocks stupidity like Leech Seed and Thunder Wave from Ferrothorn (which you can actually set up in it it's burnt since it's harder to break your sub), Thunder Wave or Toxic from Bliss/Chans, Stun Spore from Whimsicott, and Wil-O-Wisp from Sableye.

Sub Gyarados is incredibly hard to revenge kill, especially since it can eliminate its prime check by itself.

Wow, I guess sub would be useful on Gyara. But if I use Sub, I feel that I should change his item. He doesn't last very long as is and starting out with a quarter of his health gone seems like it would greatly reduce his lifespan. So should I keep LO or switch to something like Mystic Water since I'm mostly going to be spamming Waterfall after I set up. Then again, if I can get 2 DDs up, I'll probably be OHKOing everything anyway so he won't need to last long in the first place. I'll test it out and see what I like.

Thanks again for the compliments and critiques!

EDIT: Apparently, Gyarados is not allowed to have Moxie, Bounce, and Body Slam all on the same set. So it looks like I'm going to be using a sub anyway lol.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate / Moxie
EVs: 56 HP / 244 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce / Stone Edge

Evs are standard but 4 more in Speed to speed creep on a lot of common stuff. You can use either Bounce or Stone Edge, it's honestly a matter of preference. Moxie or Intimidate is also your choice, I personally prefer Intimidate to make it easier to set up, as a +1 Waterfall in Rain OHKOs or 2HKOs pretty much every physical wall these days, sans Ferro. Although I'm not quite sure why everyone is telling you to use Gyarados over Volcarona, Volc provies some pretty good FWG type synergy.

Also, you might try Expert Belt on Jolteon to OHKO specially defensive Celebi with Signal Beam. This still lets you bluff a Choice set.

EDIT: Okay, I just realized Vaporeon is doing basically nothing for this team. Also, you have no Rapid Spinner (for helping Gyara/Tornadus sweep), no Stealth Rock (same purpose), and no Steel-type (to wall opposing Dragons). This is a very large problem. Therefore, I highly recommend using Forretress over Vaporeon, as it fills all three roles mentioned above and does an excellent job countering the OU metagame in my opinion.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 176 Def / 64 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

And don't forget to run 0 Speed IVs to maximize Gyro Ball's power.

That's all I have for now, the team is looking better and better!

Okay, so I need to run a bulkier version of Gyarados. Got it. Thanks guys =)

@Lavos: This is my biggest problem with Jolteon is figuring out what item he needs to hold. Really, any kind of boosting item on him is going to do wonders. My only qualm with using an Expert Belt though is that I'd want to run another coverage move over Volt Switch so I could utilize it more effectively. The only problem with this is that he really doesn't have any other moves besides Shadow Ball. Although... he does learn Magnet rise...

As for using Gyarados over Volcarona, I really needed a physical sweeper besides Breloom. The Volca that I had before was pretty good, but got owned by a Blissey/Chansey toxic stall. I guess I could use a bulky Substitute set to counter that, but the problem remains that Volca would need a LOT of set up. Instead of replacing Gyara, I'd almost rather replace Vaporeon with Volca for a bulky FWG core of Loom, Volca and Gyara.

However, That would leave your next suggestion kind of moot. And since I value your opinion quite highly, I want to take everything you suggest into careful consideration (except maybe something like Eviolite Magikarp over Gyarados (or that may just be crazy enough to work!)). If you remember when I first posted this RMT, it had the look of a much more balanced looking team with a Forretress and more defensive spreads on Toed and Vappy. I don't know why, but I'm good with stall, good with offensive, not good with balanced. If I were to go to a FWG core, I'd want to make it stallish and bring lots of entry hazards. So I was thinking revamp with Ferrothorn (Spikes/Stealth Rock), Tentacruel (Rapid Spin, Toxic Spikes) and Volcarona (Bulky Sub) as a Core, Toed with the weather, then Jolteon and I'd have to pick between Gyarados, Tornadus or a spin blocker. The biggest problem I think with FWG in rain is that the F gets kind of screwed over with it's weakness getting a boost and its STAB getting cut.

Alright... well any thoughts on this mess would be much appreciated lol. I realize I kind of rambled a bit there but oh well, just got out of philosophy so I'm allowed to be a little spacey. As always, thank you so much guys, you've given me lots to think about =)

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Okay, so I need to run a bulkier version of Gyarados. Got it. Thanks guys =)

@Lavos: This is my biggest problem with Jolteon is figuring out what item he needs to hold. Really, any kind of boosting item on him is going to do wonders. My only qualm with using an Expert Belt though is that I'd want to run another coverage move over Volt Switch so I could utilize it more effectively. The only problem with this is that he really doesn't have any other moves besides Shadow Ball. Although... he does learn Magnet rise...

As for using Gyarados over Volcarona, I really needed a physical sweeper besides Breloom. The Volca that I had before was pretty good, but got owned by a Blissey/Chansey toxic stall. I guess I could use a bulky Substitute set to counter that, but the problem remains that Volca would need a LOT of set up. Instead of replacing Gyara, I'd almost rather replace Vaporeon with Volca for a bulky FWG core of Loom, Volca and Gyara.

However, That would leave your next suggestion kind of moot. And since I value your opinion quite highly, I want to take everything you suggest into careful consideration (except maybe something like Eviolite Magikarp over Gyarados (or that may just be crazy enough to work!)). If you remember when I first posted this RMT, it had the look of a much more balanced looking team with a Forretress and more defensive spreads on Toed and Vappy. I don't know why, but I'm good with stall, good with offensive, not good with balanced. If I were to go to a FWG core, I'd want to make it stallish and bring lots of entry hazards. So I was thinking revamp with Ferrothorn (Spikes/Stealth Rock), Tentacruel (Rapid Spin, Toxic Spikes) and Volcarona (Bulky Sub) as a Core, Toed with the weather, then Jolteon and I'd have to pick between Gyarados, Tornadus or a spin blocker. The biggest problem I think with FWG in rain is that the F gets kind of screwed over with it's weakness getting a boost and its STAB getting cut.

Alright... well any thoughts on this mess would be much appreciated lol. I realize I kind of rambled a bit there but oh well, just got out of philosophy so I'm allowed to be a little spacey. As always, thank you so much guys, you've given me lots to think about =)
Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Use Forretress! Trust me...the team will still be offensive, but every half-decent offensive team needs a spinner to function correctly. Just listen to my suggestions and test them out >.<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)