Raise Your Glass! - VGC 2011 San Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I attended the San Jose Regional for VGC this year, and I lost the first round to Imitation Black. However, the whole event was a lot of fun, so I figured I'd write a warstory anyways. iTunes is currently being gay and not letting me upload my videos, so my vids will come later.

Before I get any further, this is what my team was for VGC:

Reuniclus @ Mental Herb "Yoshi!"
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Bold [+Def, -Atk]
-Protect
-Snatch
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball

Tornadus @ Flight Gem "Japanese name from EE that I can't type"
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly [+Spe, -Sp. Atk]
-Protect
-Torment
-Taunt
-Acrobatics

Krookodile @ Life Orb "Raimo"
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly [+Spe, -Sp. Atk]
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Protect

Scrafty @ Chople Berry "kUzu"
Ability: Moxie
Adamant [+Atk, -Sp. Atk]
-Protect
-Drain Punch
-Crunch
-Fake Out

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf "Areso"
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly [+Spe, -Sp. Atk]
-Earthquake
-Superpower
-Flare Blitz
-Rock Slide

Terrakion @ Focus Sash "Dezza Laa"
Ability: Justified
EVs: 244 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP / 4 Def / 4 Sp. Def
Jolly [+Spe, -Sp. Atk]
-Protect
-Close Combat
-Rock Slide
-Quick Attack

Um... odd team, I know. The point is, if I see any indication that Tailwind is going to go up, I lead with Reuniclus and Tornadus and attempt to Snatch the Tailwind. It's also useful for snatching a sub from Thundurus, and I even once got lucky and snatched a Wide Guard from Conkeldurr. Tornadus gets Taunt to stop other setups, and Torment in case Whimsicott Taunts first turn, so it can still set up a Tailwind for me to snatch :).

If there's no indication that Tailwind is going to be a factor, then I just choose the 4 best pokemon that I think can handle their team. Choice Scarf Darmanitan wrecks pretty much everything with Flare Blitz. (The Jolly nature was because I bred it the night before and I didn't want to rebreed for possibly worse IVs and nature). Scrafty has been in almost every single match that I've played, because it acts as an offensive pivot for my team. Krookodile is in there because he hits most pokemon in VGC for Super-Effective damage, and he really benefits from the Tailwind boost. Terrakion... I don't really know why Terrakion is there, tbh. I think I chose him for the Quick Attack priority, but... yeah. My strategy was basically "pick 4 pokemon that give you the best chance of winning."

My Story:

STAR Testing:
STAR Testing week, I started to really think about going to VGC. I did a little bit of research while in STAR Testing because I had very little homework that week. I decided that I would want to run a Snatch Reuniclus. Next, I decided that I needed something to stop Whimsicott and other genies from absolutely fucking over Reuniclus, so I chose a fellow Prankster: Tornadus. I did a little mental wrestling as to how to manipulate Whimsicott, and after listening to a bit of KnightoftheWind's advice, I threw in Torment on top of Taunt. My "core" decided, I made a trade thread and started asking around for a Jolly Tornadus. Everyone that had one wasn't interested in any of my crappy RNGs, so I accepted an EV training assignment from Expert Evan.

Over the next few weeks, I would choose Krookodile and a Hydreigon to join my party. However, due to AP testing (HOLY SHIT NEVER TAKE MORE THAN 4 APS AT ONCE), I was unable to actually test the team, so at this point, the team was entirely theorymon. I did however get in a practice match against crazysnorlax somewhere, and then he copied my idea [:<

Monday, May 16: I finished up some RNGs and level'd up some stuff to 50. While I took a break from my studies, I found out that there was this thing called "Scarf Water Spout Jellicent", so I put that on my list of backups to try out.

Thursday, May 19: Someone pulled a fire alarm at my school while I was taking the AP Chinese test. Long story short, the test got canceled and I have to retake it. However, I came home, and I didn't really feel like doing anything, so I played a game of Rise of Nations. Then, I realized that VGCs were on Saturday and I still hadn't playtested my team. I took the opportunity and spent a couple hours on SkarmBliss PO server, testing several pokemon. Eventually, I settled on Darmanitan, Krookodile, Scrafty, and Terrakion as the complements to my "core". However, my team was still shaky; I 4-0'd a couple teams and got trounced by others. Figuring it was the best that I could do, I went off to breed those pokemon (@OmegaDonut: This is where your RNG Reporter crashed on me ._.)

Friday, May 20: I get back from school, and I needed to EV train, so I "hired" my sister to help me EV train. I uploaded stuff to my emulator via IR-GTS, then had her help me EV train everything. We finished around 6:00 PM, and then I uploaded everything back to my DS in order to level them to 50. I didn't get Terrakion to a high enough level to learn Close Combat, so I *shamefully* hacked rare candies and sent them to my DS to level him up faster.
I have never hated the Elite Four so much in my life...

Saturday, May 21: I woke up at seven, and then quickly got back to checking that everything was alright with my team (as if they'd run away during my dreams)! I had the jitters, so I didn't do anything except for practice piano and check the Battling 101 - Round 50 thread to see if I got assigned to anyone for LC (which btw, I didn't). I also packed my bags during this time. 10:30 rolled around, and I left my house...

My pen case, some homework, iPod, DS + Charger + case, wallet, cellphone, keys, camera charger (my camera has a 5 minute battery), and the Smogon sign

VGC 2011 Regionals West @ San Jose:
The very first thing I did was walk to the bank to get a roll of quarters in case anyone at VGC needed quarter to take VTA/BART/CalTrain/Berk-Davis shuttle. Then, I ran to the bus station to catch the bus and hopped on. It was about a 40 minute ride from my house in Cupertino to downtown San Jose.

The bus ride from my house to the convention center.

I got off the bus and went into the convention center. I walked up to the ladies at the concierge desk, and they asked if I was going to the "Poke-man" tournament. I sad yes, and they pointed me up.

Once inside, I debated whether to whip out my Smogon sign so others could identify me. Presently, Duy came chugging by flanked by his good friends, OmegaDonut, Kaphotics, and zerowing. I stared at their shirts and considered saying hi to them, but I decided against it because it would feel awkward. Further in, I saw Huy, standing there conversing with the girl from Utah. After a few moments of internal debate, I grew a pair of balls and went up to say hi to him. He turned out to be very courteous and nice, not snobby. He said something like "Why don't you go find my brother too? I'm sure you can't miss him", so I went ran back out to look for Duy. When I found Duy, the first thing he said was "You called me Duy, right?"

Kaphotics and OmegaDonut then left us to go back to join Huy, so I was left wandering with Duy and zerowing. The Exhibit Hall right next to us was a big volleyball tournament thing, so we went in and oogled at some volleyball girls (asses). Duy talked about wanting to get some volleyball girls as his cheerleaders or something, then we went back.

We rejoined everyone, and then I met Wild Eep. We talked about a few things, found Supe somewhere along the way, watched Jeremy place 5th in Seniors, and then watched Unreality win it all, and then I left to go get some Subway because the six-inch sandwiches were 7 bucks at the convention center.

When I came back, everyone was sitting in a circle at the end of the line. We talked about stuff, such as RNG and hot girls. Duy spent a lot of time wondering out loud where UPPERDECKER was and Huy left to go intimidate DeagleBeagle. We realized that there was a comic book convention also taking place, hence the people in random costumes walking by, so we started taking shots at this one Han Solo guy and another CoD guy. Someone was saying something about how they were missing a post-Apocalypse party for this, and then someone else suggested we go looting afterwards. Jeremy was sitting with us, and he advised me not to put Dragon Claw > Fake Out (I forgot to breed Ice Punch onto Scrafty) because Drain Punch does more with STAB than SE Ice Punch or something. Then, Unreality walked over with his shiny new medal. Jeremy wanted to see it, so Unreality let Jeremy hold it and we were all screaming for Jeremy to run with it hehe. The Ha brothers were talking about Jeremy being the next Yao Ming. During this time, Kaphotics was watching pr0n or something on his laptop and OD was preparing his team when he realized his gf had his Amoongus. I think he called her and got her to go on wifi, though I don't remember what happened there. Some other stuff happened, and I'll be filling this in as I remember...

Eventually, the guy handing out numbers got to us, and I think the girl from Utah traded to get number 169 and piss off zerowing, who wanted that. We all got our numbers (OD too!) and we just waited. One of the staff members came around and announced that we had to stick our stuff in our Battle Box and that if we didn't know how, to ask the clump of people right next to him how (that happened to be us). Nick came around and talked about some kid that had a cartridge so hacked that he didn't even know which ones were hacked, but he knew which ones were hacked. Something about EVs way over 510. We waited in line some more, talked to BadIntent, and then waited until we got to the front. Somewhere along the way, we met Nickscor, who had a number way farther back, but he "assimilated" into our line (or as Great America would put it, line-jumped).

Round 1:
Then, we lined up to battle, clumping together and trying to invoke the "friend rule". It worked, though Kaphotics nearly got suck with one of the Ha brothers first round, and same with zerowing. I got paired up with Imitation Black, and the first thing he asked me is "Are you on Smogon or Skarmbliss?" I said that I was, and he was like "Oh, I'm on Smogon too, I'm Imitation Black." I nearly freaked our right then and there.

To be honest, I don't remember much about the battle except that in hindsight, I could've won. I led with Darmanitan and Scrafty, and he had Mienshao and Conkeldurr or something. I protected on Scrafty (doh!) instead of Fake Out-ing, and Mienshao fake outed my Darmanitan, while Conkeldurr destroyed my Darmanitan. Next, I sent out my Reuniclus to take it's place. Conkeldurr protected, and my Psychic hit Mienshao, who survives with a focus sash. Mienshao destroyes Scrafty through the Chople Berry, and then I bring in Terrakion. Terrakion QA's Mienshao, and Imitation Black brings in Bisharp next. Bisharp KO's my Reuniclus with Sucker Punch (crit, but it didn't really matter), and I think Conkeldurr Drain Punched my Terrakion, leaving it with 1 HP left. The next turn, I destroyed Bisharp with a CC or something, and then Conkeldurr killed me.
*This is what I remember happening. I forgot to save the Battle Video, so if you want a true account, go ask Imitation Black.

I walked out through the exit, where I saw Kaphotics, who also lost because of flinch hax. We talked to ImpendingDoom94 via The Girl That Wore Glasses and Text Messaged A Lot, who posted updates here. We watched Duy and Huy win, WildEep lose to DeagleBeagle, Nickscor lose because Heat Wave double missed, Supe lose to some more hax, and then finally Omega Donut losing in R3. Duy was talking about how his imprison Chandelure locked this one pokemon into setting up light screen over and over again.

Kaphotics after losing in R1.

zerowing apparently pulled off some bare victories, while I think BadIntent walked all over his competition. While the last few matches of the prelims finished up, the dancing pokemon came out! Nick grabbed pretty much all the clumped smogonites (Duy, me, Supe, OD) and made us dance, as well as some of the volleyball girls (Duy's dream xD). Oshawott apparently couldn't see and wandered away, so Nick had to drag him back. Then, the finals started.

Tepic and Snivy apparently need someone to walk them...

Huy and zerowing have some fun freaking with the dancing pokemon.

I went off to buy a coke, and watched some battles. I don't remember exactly what happened, but I saw BadIntent get knocked out. Duy eeked out a win against ShinyPachirisu, and zerowing defeated Huy. Jeremy and I spent the entire Duy vs. SP match trying to predict what was going to happen next. I think I lost. Poor Nick, he had so much to talk about xD.

I still think they rigged it, but they pitted Duy against zerowing in the Top 4. Nick again was talking some more about "The Mighty Psyducks" and zerowing came out on top. Even more stuff about how they were some of the best battlers and everything, and then zerowing just sat in the corner by himself doing his zen mode thing while Alan and someone else battled it out for a 3DS.

Finally, the finals came! It was around 4:30'ish, and Jeremy was getting antsy because he needed to go at 5 and he wanted to see the finals. I overheard DeagleBeagle commenting on how zerowing was fucked if he didn't have Trick Room. They sat down to battle, and there was a lot of "Quack Quack" going on. zerowing got put in a big hole early. He successfully stalled out a tailwind. Then, when it was his Thundurus and Terrakion against Alan's Thundurus, something at low health (Terrakion? Whimsicott?), and another yet unrevealed pokemon, zerowin's Thundurus managed to put paralysis on Alan's Thundurus. Somewhere in there Terrakion was hanging on with 1 hp, but the T-wave slowed Thundurus down enough. Terrakion used Rock Slide, and knocked out the two pokemon on Alan's side. Then, we waited for Alan's last pokemon.

Look in the spoiler for the rest of the story:
Alan's last pokemon turned out to be a Hydreigon. The moment everybody saw it, we were all thrilled! Alan attempted to protect-stall with Hydreigon. At this point, I was scared that Alan would get lucky with his consecutive protects and stall out the Close Combat PP (some other guy earlier had hit 3 protects in a row to stall out PP and win). Alas, it didn't happen, and Terrakion CC'ed Hydreigon down for the win at 1 hp left. It was intense. I don't think any of the Smogonite's got videos, but The Girl That Wore Glasses and Text Messaged A Lot got the name of the guy that caught in on video.

Party Over:
The party was finally over, and it was time to head home. We watched zerowing get his shiny new 3DS (which I drooled over... I have a DS Lite with a broken hinge and non-functional R/L buttons), and then OD suggested we ditch zerowing with his interviews and head on over to Subway. I had to get home, so I said my goodbyes, and I left for the bus station.

We saw these guys dressed as Scrafty and Shaymin. Shaymin guy took off his medical glove-balloon ears. I thought Scrafty guy was a girl at first, but then I realized that he had no bouncers.​

I ended up actually taking the wrong bus home. I took 168 instead of 23 because I wasn't looking at the numbers, so I jumped off the bus at 2nd and San Carlos transit center and hit number 23 going back toward De Anza College (and home). The gal driving number 23 offered me a free ride if I fixed one of her seats, except I already had one of the flash passes, so it didn't do me any good. I fixed the seat anyways. At another transit center near a mall, a couple really hot girls got on the bus. I talked with them a while, and it was awkward because one of them was talking about how handsome the other's dad was... and something about split ends. Apparently, I have split ends in my hair.

The guys in the middle of the street were chasing a dog that had ripped the pole it was tied to out of the ground and ran off. When the bus door opened to admit passengers, we found a girl looking for her dog. The bus driver informed her that the dog was running around in the middle of the street, so she flipped out and started screaming. I took the picture while we were driving away, so sorry for the poor quality.

I got off at the corner where I was supposed to get off... and then I walked back home. It was sort of sad to say goodbye to such a wonderful day, but I guess all good things must come to an end. Even though I lost in R1, I was still really happy about meeting all those people and just hanging out. I think that the best part was actually just meeting everyone. zerowing and the Ha brothers are... interesting characters.

I know that a lot of this is me bitching about stuff and forgetting people's names, but I hope you enjoyed it!
THE END

Lol great read and pics and lol @ the cheerleader thing. I would've gone up and said hi earlier but I was training last minute(that chandy was a lvl 20 litwick when I woke up today with no evs) pretty cool you guys were trying to predict our battle. Mayb I'll see you @ worlds/nats was a fun day today wish I could have said hi!

Supe

would you suck the poison out
Today was a blast, and it was really nice meeting you. This is a pretty good recap of all the fun moments from today's event. Fun fact: Paul took out the Shaymin guy and I knocked out the Scrafty dude. When I saw him in line I thought he was a girl too, and then he turned around and had a mustache!

Great meeting you today, and you have to agree on me with this that even if you don't win, meeting people and hanging out with people that enjoy the things you enjoy is a blast!

"We talked to ImpendingDoom94 via The Girl That Wore Glasses and Text Messaged A Lot, who posted updates here."

Lol, I think you're the 2rd person who has me confused with this girl. I don't recall talking to anyone but AoK, who was texting me updates, in which i posted on the san jose vgc thread.

breh

強いだね
Of course the people in starter suits needed others to walk them.

Do you see any eyes on that suit? Even better, a place where the head comes off? I'd imagine those suits are like a minature hell, lol

The person who got the 3 protects in a row was metabou, I think.

EDIT: But how does the Snivy head come off?

I know for a fact that the Oshawott head just sort of lifts off because I gave him a hug at the mall tour and nearly beheaded him on accident. I imagine that the Tepig head is pretty much the same.

nice read :) you should've took pictures of those volleyball girls :p
You can catch a glimpse of a few in the dancing picture, though they're some of the uglier ones.

Where were you anyways? Duy was literally wondering whether every other person was you xD

Haha nice read! Glad to see you had fun!
Thanks!

Lol great read and pics and lol @ the cheerleader thing. I would've gone up and said hi earlier but I was training last minute(that chandy was a lvl 20 litwick when I woke up today with no evs) pretty cool you guys were trying to predict our battle. Mayb I'll see you @ worlds/nats was a fun day today wish I could have said hi!
:( Too bad I can't go to Worlds or Nats, but maybe next year?

Today was a blast, and it was really nice meeting you. This is a pretty good recap of all the fun moments from today's event. Fun fact: Paul took out the Shaymin guy and I knocked out the Scrafty dude. When I saw him in line I thought he was a girl too, and then he turned around and had a mustache!
It was cool meeting you too! I hope you got home okay.

Great meeting you today, and you have to agree on me with this that even if you don't win, meeting people and hanging out with people that enjoy the things you enjoy is a blast!
QFT

"We talked to ImpendingDoom94 via The Girl That Wore Glasses and Text Messaged A Lot, who posted updates here."

Lol, I think you're the 2rd person who has me confused with this girl. I don't recall talking to anyone but AoK, who was texting me updates, in which i posted on the san jose vgc thread.
dunno, there was this one girl chilling with us who just happened to be writing updates to someone or something

Of course the people in starter suits needed others to walk them.

Do you see any eyes on that suit? Even better, a place where the head comes off? I'd imagine those suits are like a minature hell, lol

The person who got the 3 protects in a row was metabou, I think.

EDIT: But how does the Snivy head come off?
Oh. I spent a while looking for a little mesh screen in their heads or something where they could see through. Maybe next year we'll play a joke on them ;)

I know for a fact that the Oshawott head just sort of lifts off because I gave him a hug at the mall tour and nearly beheaded him on accident. I imagine that the Tepig head is pretty much the same.
Eek!

hmm... in hindsight i look really retarded, my friend already had the scrafty costume from the mall tour, so he made me go as something, and I figured why the hell not. Shaymin dude here btw. Shame (lolshaymin) I didn't get to talk to more people, but it was fun.

oh yeah and that feeling of panic

can't wait till crunch time next year

You can catch a glimpse of a few in the dancing picture, though they're some of the uglier ones.

Where were you anyways? Duy was literally wondering whether every other person was you xD
I was one of the people in front of the line. I saw OmegaDonut, Duy and co. walking around, I don't know, I'm a shy person. Well, I get to meet Huy, had a little chat and I think that's about it :(

I think Mike's story went something like, "There was this kid who had a whole team of obvious hacks... when I told him he had hacked pokemon, he denied it. Then I was like, 'Dude, every one of your pokemon is a complete and total hack' and the kid was like 'well, THIS one's not hacked!"

great stuff, awesome seeing you- I missed the dance party D:

HAHAHA this was a great read. Sorry all of that hard work had to go to waste so fast but all in all it was a fun day and hope you had great fun at the VGC's. You should have got a picture with Pikachu gettin all of the volley ball girls haha.

Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)