Rampardos(BW2 Revamp)[GP 2/2]

I'm really still unsure about Rock Slide though. I view Rampardos is one of those Pokemon who is going to only have one shot to kill everything and I really feel like Head Smash is miles better than Rock Slide as a result. Rash is pretty much necessary for some special KOs like Rhydon, some Water-types, and more. OHKOing the most common Pokemon in the tier seems way too good to pass up on.

Don't deslash it yet but EonX- I really want to know, is there ever a scenario where Rock Slide's lack of recoil is worth missing out on some extremely crucial OHKOs on some things that could otherwise OHKO you? Rampardos is getting killed anyway in one hit so the recoil isnt too bad. Rock Slide may 2HKO but Head Smash will more often than not OHKO, which I find preferable. Generally if I'd use Rock Slide for safety, at that point, why not just use a different wallbreaker that in general is more safe but less powerful? I feel like its AC myself but I want to know if there is any reason that isn't "safe" because Head Smash is so much harder to deal with and eliminates everything right then and there usually.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Idk. I guess for me, it's just a personal preference thing as I hate just suiciding on stuff like Amoonguss or Slowking. I mean, yeah, it OHKOes them, but you're really not going to have a shot to take out the other part of the core because of that ridiculous recoil. Either way, I still think Head Smash is the better move overall, but I do tend to use Rock Slide so I fare better against Regenerator cores that tend to have high HP and parts of it can sometimes take a Head Smash (Momo and Tangrowth) before switching back out.

Now that that's out of the way...
  • Move Mixed Attacker to slot 1. Its more reliable than CB as a wallbreaker I'd say, if only from the raw amount o discussion.
  • On CB, replace Ice Beam with Ice Punch since Ice Punch is physical.
  • Remove the final bit about the Fire-types. Water-types do not grant a free switch in for Rampardos.
  • You don't need those damage calculations on the Mixed Attacker. Just say "OHKOs Steelix, usually OHKOs Rhydon" and you get the same result. (Not enough calls for that section)
  • On Mixed, mention how Head Smash attains some important OHKOs on Pokemom such as Amoonguss and Slowking so it is often worth the recoil. Also Head Smash > Rock Slide (keep it slashed though)

Last edited:
Did the above, however, Rampy lures in waters so idk about removing fires. If you really think it should be removed, I'm fine with that as well ^_^

Ok, so this is definitely looking better, but if it's all the same, I'd like to drop a couple nitpicks.

Definitely swap the moveslot order with Focus Blast and Ice Beam, Ferroseed / Steelix / Rhydon and a bunch more of somewhat lesser note largely outweigh the targets of IBeam in terms of importance. and it seems to reflect a "BoltBeam = Really Good" mentality, which I'd rather not see :[ I'd like to see a degree of stress urged with Head Smash; while a very significant attacking option for thid set, it isn't a move to be used recklessly, since it wears Ramp down very quickly. That said, a quick mention along with coverage moves on what it allows Rampy to avoid from using Head Smash on (Tbolt has Qwilfish, Drudd for IBeam, etc.) would be nice.

There's some other stuff for sure, but I'm pressed for time atm, so I'll get back to you on that :x

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ThunderPunch on the CB set for the third time...

Aside from that, when it comes to using Head Smash on the Mixed set, here's how I would approach it. If there's a move I can use that will accomplish the same thing (such as smashing Qwilfish, Druddigon, etc.) use it. I would stress that you should only use Head Smash when A. You aren't sure of the switch in or B. When a coverage move won't OHKO the target (such as against Slowking or Amoonguss) You have to add up the LO recoil with that 50% recoil from Head Smash, so really try to keep from using it unless it's absolutely necessary. You don't have this issue with Rock Slide, but you also can't OHKO Slowking or Amoonguss with Rock Slide, so it comes down to whether you want to be able to use your STAB move more freely or if you want OHKOes on these important targets.

Craaaaaaap...forgot tpunch sorry eonx-
Also sure, i'll make sure to stress that head smash only eases prediction and most of the time you should be using a coverage move so rampy wont die.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We talked about this a bit on irc a bit and as far as i can tell you made all the changes i requested, for now i'd just implement the remaining changes that any other QC member may have mentioned and you can consider this

QC Approved 1/3

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd personally mention it has to compete with Aggron for a Smash Rock-type, since Aggron's more consistent, but do all the above and...

QC Approved 2/3

I gotta leave like right now but I just want to say that Rampardos's movepool is actually worse than Aggron (it can learn every move rampardos can and more). Its real advantage is that, thanks to Sheer Force, it can make more use of said movepool so change that in the overview please.

I'll check this right when I get home but I want to leave that there.

Rampardos doesn't have a decent special attack, its still only 65. Another rephrase would be cool here regarding that this is thanks to Sheer Force.

No recoil at all makes Rock Slide "the safe" alternative of Head Smash as EonX mentioned, so put that alongside to LO recoil. Also you have Naughty as the nature but talk about a Rash Nature in AC? idk which one is the correct one but fix that too.

In CB Add some sort of non-Swellow cleaner like Hitmonlee and/or Accelgor mostly for the sake of putting an RU mon here. Uxie's U-Turn is also kinda fast so remove the slow U-Turn bit. Don't mention Sandslash due to mediocrity.

Don't mention Sash + Endeavor in OO. You said it yourself that it sucks.

Check your spacing as well, you have a few non-spaces between words and parenthesis.

Add and I'll stamp.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>Rampardos is primarily seen as a wallbreaker in the RU tier, and accomplishes this with two main sets: one is that of a Choice Band wallbreaker and another is that of of a mixed core-breaker that can lure in its checks and counters and defeat them with an the appropriate coverage move. This lets it be a Thus, between its colossal Attack stat and surprisingly generous special movepool, Rampardos is a truly great weapon against stall [NB - it has attributes that make it great against stall, rather than the fact that it happens to be able to run two sets. You can change or add to the attributes I've listed if you disagree or have more to say; I just went with the most immediately obvious plus point for both sets]. However, it is let down by its poor Speed stat, which along with its horrible defensive typing and quite average bulk means ,(remove) meaning that it won't be sticking around for long. It also faces competition from Aggron as a Rock-type with access to Head Smash, and unlike Rampardos, Aggron does not have to take massive amounts of recoil due thanks to its Rock Head ability, meaning that Rampardos is often passed on over in favor of it. Nevertheless, Rampardos separates itself from Aggron with through its superior Attack and the ability to utilize its movepool well by going mixed. [and now that I added the previous statement, this seems a little redundant. Whoops. Not sure how to fix that. Maybe something along the lines of "Rampardos separates itself from Aggron through the traits listed above, which give it a strong advantage as a stallbreaker" or something. Use best judgement. Or if you think it's fine, leave it be]</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed
move 1: Head Smash / Rock Slide
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Ice Beam
item: Life Orb
ability: Sheer Force
nature: Rash
evs: 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Rampardos would normally be thought of as a juggernaut, pummeling through the tier with its massive Attack ["think of" implies a specific noun rather than an action, if you don't like juggernaut then change], it also has the ability to go mixed due to access to Sheer Force and a vast, expansive special movepool. Access to Sheer Force is what makes this set work, as 65 Special Attack is quite poor and without the previously mentioned ability, Rampardos would lose the ability to OHKO its would-be counters even with super effective attacks. The purpose of this set is to lure in would-be the aforementioned checks and counters [nix repeat] and destroy them with a the appropriate coverage move of choice. Head Smash is Rampardos's signature move for good reason; coming off base 165 Attack, it can OHKO relatively bulky threats such as Amoonguss and Slowking even with minimal investment. However, the massive recoil it takes means that Head Smash should only be used to ease prediction [what exactly do you mean by this? please elaborate] or where its coverage moves would otherwise not OHKO the target, making it very prediction-heavy [is it prediction heavy or is it easing prediction? Surely it can't do both], and that Rampardos will usually not be there survive for long enough to KO more than one or two Pokemon on a given team. Rock Slide is an alternative option, and while it does not hit nearly as hard as Head Smash does, it comes with the benefit of negating Life Orb damage, does not make Rampardos take additional recoil, and hits quite hard when boosted by Sheer Force, although it misses out on the OHKOs mentioned earlier. Thunderbolt OHKOes Qwilfish, OHKOes Alomomola after Stealth Rock, and hits Poliwrath hard, letting it hit three important targets that would give it trouble; while although Rampardos can 2HKO the former two with Head Smash, the recoil it takes is would take makes this less than ideal. Focus Blast is yet another Sheer Force-boosted coverage move that lets Rampardos deal with important threats that would otherwise wall it: Steelix, Aggron,(comma) and Rhydon. Ice Beam is in the last slot as it lets Rampardos hit Druddigon and Torterra hard, as well as get an accurate hit on Rhydon. In addition, it forms a BoltBeam combo with Thunderbolt, granting near-flawless reliable coverage. [This is something of an irrelevant statement but I'll leave it]</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread lets Rampardos outspeed Adamant Torterra (which Rampardos can then proceed to destroy with Ice Beam), with the rest thrown into while Special Attack is maximized to let Rampardos hit hard with its coverage moves and guarantee the OHKO on Rhydon, Steelix,(comma) and Alomomola after Stealth Rock. The rest of the EVs go into Attack to power up its STAB move. Rash is chosen as suggested for the nature as a Speed-boosting nature does not let Rampardos outspeed anything significant, and the extra power is helpful to net the previously mentioned OHKOs [Maybe mention why Rash as opposed to Mild?]. Zen Headbutt is an option to hit the Fighting-types which Rampardos despises, most notably Hariyama, but the moves on the set offer more coverage against more threats to Rampardos in general. While this set is able to rip through common stall cores, offense is a playstyle Rampardos struggles with a lot because of its horrible defensive typing, average bulk, and the fact that most offensive Pokemon outspeed it and can easily OHKO. As far as partners go, Uxie, Slowking,(comma) and Qwilfish make for good partners as they can provide paralysis support; some of these Pokemon help it in more than one way (Qwilfish provides Spikes support while Uxie can bring it Rampardos in with U-turn). Swellow also makes for a good partner as it can clean through weakened teams, and Rampardos can break through stall cores that give it trouble. In addition, it also provides a fast hitter, which makes up for Rampardos's poor Speed. Choice Scarf Rotom-C can outspeed and KO Pokemon such as Poliwrath that give this set trouble and appreciates Rampardos's ability to destroy more defensively oriented Pokemon.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Head Smash
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: ThunderPunch / Rock Slide
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Rampardos's most effective set is that of a mixed wallbreaker, this set takes a more straightforward approach to said role, although with more prediction required. Head Smash is the main move on this set and hits most of the tier for good damage. Superpower is run in the second slot to hit Pokemon that would otherwise easily stomach a Head Smash, such as Steelix, Aggron, and Rhydon,(remove) for good damage (and it OHKOes Aggron). Fire Punch gets the Sheer Force boost and OHKOes threats such as Ferroseed and Escavalier without the stat drops from Superpower in the former's case or taking the massive recoil from Head Smash in the latter's case. It also hits the previously mentioned Steelix harder hard, albeit a lot less hard than Superpower. In the last slot, ThunderPunch hits problematic Pokemon such as Poliwrath, Alomomola, and Qwilfish for good damage, 2HKOing all of them. Alternatively, Rock Slide is a reliable STAB move that is boosted by Sheer Force, is more accurate, and doesn't force Rampardos to take massive recoil.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sheer Force is the preferred ability as it gives Fire Punch, ThunderPunch, and Rock Slide a much-needed boost. Alternatively, Mold Breaker can be used alternatively to allow Rampardos to screw over Custap Berry Crustle leads. Stone Edge can be used as an alternative STAB, but Head Smash is generall generally better and Rock Slide with a Sheer Force boosts boost hits about as hard. Ice Punch can be used on the set to hit Ground-types such as Golurk,(remove) and Torterra harder, but Rampardos generally cannot spare a moveslot for it. This set especially loves having paralysis support due to its poor Speed; again, Uxie, Qwilfish, and Slowking make for excellent candidates. Swellow and Accelgor make for a good cleaners that can wreck the opposing team after their checks are gone and clean up after Rampardos has done its job. Mesprit can cover up its Fighting weakness and learns Healing Wish, which can heal Rampardos up to full health and get rid of pesky status. Magneton can trap and get rid of the Steel-types that Rampardos despises. Fast, powerful Pokemon such as Sceptile and Aerodactyl can form a potent offensive core with Rampardos and appreciate its ability to break through defensive Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>While a Choice Scarf set might seem perfect due to Rampardos's Speed, it is still very slow and can be outsped by Sceptile and Cinccino even when wielding holding said item. It is also easily revenge killed and unlike its wallbreaking counterparts, struggles against defensively oriented teams. Trick Room is a playstyle that Rampardos can fit quite well on Trick Room teams, making and is it a good candidate for a wallbreaker on such teams with the appropriate IV and nature adjustments. Hidden Power Grass is an option on the mixed set to hit Quagsire while retaining coverage on Rhydon, but it cannot OHKO the latter (unlike a Sheer Force-boosted Focus Blast) and the former is quite rare. Stealth Rock can be utilized in an offensive lead set, but Rampardos is quite frail and not a very reliable entry hazard setter. Substitute + Focus Punch can be used, but Rampardos has a hard time setting up Substitutes and the moveslots required cut into its coverage. Outrage and Double Edge are two seemingly appealing moves, but provide no coverage and are both usually a waste of a moveslot.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Rampardos is almost impossible due to its great coverage, high Attack, and strong STAB moves. A very effective way of stopping it is to simply prevent it from switching in on a slower Pokemon, meaining meaning that it will have to take a hit before attacking. Fighting-types, especially bulky ones such as Hariyama and Poliwrath, can stomach any hit from Rampardos and OHKO with a STAB move of choice, though the former has to watch out for a Zen Headbutt and the latter will be hit hard by Thunderbolt or ThunderPunch from the respective sets. Ground-types such as Torterra and Golurk work as well. Golurk warrants a special mention due to its ability to hard-wall the Choice Band set and to be able to take one Ice Beam (unlike Torterra). However, checking it is quite easy for most teams. Ferroseed stands out as a good check due to its overall bulk, allowing it to take at least one coverage move and proceed to OHKO Rampardos. Alomomola can take a Head Smash from Rampardos, and although it is 2HKOed, Rampardos in turn takes massive recoil due to Alomomola's high HP stat. However, it Alomomola is OHKOed by a Sheer Force-boosted Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>The best way to check Rampardos is to simply revenge kill it,(comma) due to the fact that it is quite slow and not exactly sturdy. Pokemon such as Rotom-C, faster variants of Gallade, and Sceptile can easily end Rampardos with their STABs STAB moves. Almost any Pokemon faster than it with decent attacking prowess can OHKO it. Finally, users of priority such as Spiritomb, Absol, Kabutops, Gurdurr,(comma) and Hitmonlee can ruin Rampardos's fun very quickly indeed.</p>

Checked mainly prose as requested. Grammar was mostly fine, though there were some funky things going on with brackets and Oxford commas that needed correcting. As for the prose changes, pick and choose, and if you want me to provide extra reasoning just ask.

Enjoyed reading the analysis. Good job.

GP Approved 1/2

Last edited:
Thanks for the GP check! I implemented it, but removed 'aforementioned' as that's a rather overused word and generally frowned upon :)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kingler12345

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Rampardos is primarily seen as a wallbreaker in the RU tier, with two main sets: one of a Choice Band wallbreaker and another of a mixed core-breaker that can lure in its checks and counters and defeat them with an appropriate coverage move. This lets it be a great weapon against stall. However, it is let down by its poor Speed stat, which along with its horrible defensive typing and quite average bulk, meaning means that it won't be sticking around for long. It also faces competition from Aggron as a Rock-type with access to Head Smash, and unlike Rampardos, Aggron does not have to take massive amounts of recoil due to Rock Head, meaning that Rampardos is often passed on in favor of it. Nevertheless, Rampardos separates itself from Aggron with its superior Attack and the ability to utilize its movepool well by going mixed.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Rampardos would normally be thought of as pummeling through the tier with its massive Attack, it has the ability to go mixed due to access to Sheer Force and an vast, expansive special movepool. Access to Sheer Force is what makes this set work, as 65 Special Attack is quite poor and without the previously mentioned ability, Rampardos would lose the ability to OHKO its would-be counters even with super effective attacks. The purpose of this set is to lure in would-be checks and counters and destroy them with a coverage move of choice. Head Smash is Rampardos's signature move for good reason; coming off base 165 Attack, it can OHKO relatively bulky threats such as Amoonguss and Slowking even with minimal investment. However, the massive recoil it takes means that Head Smash should only be used to ease prediction or where its coverage moves would otherwise not OHKO the target, making it very prediction-heavy., and This also means that Rampardos will usually not be there to KO more than one or two Pokemon on a given team. Rock Slide is an alternative option, and while it does not hit nearly as hard as Head Smash does, it comes with the benefit of negating Life Orb damage, does not make Rampardos take additional recoil, and hits quite hard when boosted by Sheer Force, although it misses out on the OHKOs mentioned earlier. Thunderbolt OHKOes Qwilfish, OHKOes Alomomola after Stealth Rock, and hits Poliwrath hard, letting it Rampardos hit three important targets that would give it trouble; while Rampardos can 2HKO the former two with Head Smash, the recoil it takes is less than ideal. Focus Blast is yet another Sheer Force-boosted coverage move that lets Rampardos deal with important threats that would otherwise wall it: Steelix, Aggron, (AC) and Rhydon. Ice Beam is in the last slot as it lets Rampardos hit Druddigon and Torterra hard, as well as get an accurate hit on Rhydon. In addition, it forms a BoltBeam combo with Thunderbolt.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread lets Rampardos outspeed Adamant Torterra (which Rampardos can proceed to destroy with Ice Beam), with the rest thrown into Special Attack to let Rampardos hit hard with its coverage moves and guarantee the OHKO on Rhydon, Steelix, (AC) and Alomomola after Stealth Rock. Rash is chosen as the nature as a Speed or Attaack-boosting nature does not let Rampardos outspeed hit anything significant, and the extra power is helpful to net the previously mentioned OHKOs. Zen Headbutt is an option to hit the Fighting-types which Rampardos despises, most notably Hariyama, but the moves on the set offer more coverage against more threats to Rampardos in general. While this set is able to rip through common stall cores, offense is a playstyle Rampardos struggles with a lot because of its horrible defensive typing, average bulk, and the fact that most offensive Pokemon outspeed it and can easily OHKO. As far as partners go, Uxie, Slowking, (AC) and Qwilfish make for good partners as they can provide paralysis support; some of these Pokemon help it in more than one way (Qwilfish provides Spikes support while Uxie can bring it in with U-turn). Swellow also makes for a good partner as it can clean through weakened teams, and Rampardos can break through stall cores that give it trouble. In addition, it also provides a fast hitter, which makes up for Rampardos's poor Speed. Choice Scarf Rotom-C can outspeed and KO Pokemon such as Poliwrath that give this set trouble and appreciates Rampardos's ability to destroy more defensively oriented Pokemon.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Rampardos's most effective set is that of a mixed wallbreaker, this set takes a more straightforward approach to said role, although with more prediction required. Head Smash is the main move on this set and hits most of the tier for good damage. Superpower is run in the second slot to hit Pokemon that would otherwise easily stomach a Head Smash, such as Steelix, Aggron, and Rhydon, for good damage (it OHKOes Aggron). Fire Punch gets the Sheer Force boost and OHKOes threats such as Ferroseed and Escavalier without the stat drops from Superpower in the former's case or taking the massive recoil in the latter's case. It also hits the previously mentioned Steelix harder, albeit a lot less hard than Superpower. In the last slot, ThunderPunch hits problematic Pokemon such as Poliwrath, Alomomola, and Qwilfish for good damage, 2HKOing all of them. Alternatively, Rock Slide is a reliable STAB move that is boosted by Sheer Force, is more accurate, and doesn't force Rampardos to take massive recoil.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sheer Force is the preferred ability as it gives Fire Punch, ThunderPunch, and Rock Slide a much-needed boost. Mold Breaker can be used alternatively to allow Rampardos to screw over Custap Berry Crustle leads. Stone Edge can be used as an alternative STAB, but Head Smash is generally better and Rock Slide with a Sheer Force boosts hits about as hard. Ice Punch can be used on the set to hit Ground-types such as Golurk, (RC) and Torterra harder, but Rampardos generally cannot spare a moveslot for it. This set especially loves having paralysis support due to its poor Speed; again, Uxie, Qwilfish, and Slowking make for excellent candidates. Swellow and Accelgor make for a good cleaners that can wreck the opposing team after their checks are gone and clean up after Rampardos has done its job. Mesprit can cover up its Fighting weakness and learns Healing Wish, which can heal Rampardos up to full health and get rid of pesky status. Magneton can trap and get rid of the Steel-types that Rampardos despises. Fast, powerful Pokemon such as Sceptile and Aerodactyl can form a potent offensive core with Rampardos and appreciate its ability to break through defensive Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>While a Choice Scarf set might seem perfect due to Rampardos's Speed, it is still very slow and can be outsped by Sceptile and Cinccino even when wielding said item. It is also easily revenge killed and unlike its wallbreaking counterparts, struggles against defensively oriented teams. Trick Room is a playstyle that Rampardos can fit quite well on, making it a good candidate for a wallbreaker on such teams. Hidden Power Grass is an option on the mixed set to hit Quagsire while retaining coverage on Rhydon, but it cannot OHKO the latter (unlike a Sheer Force-boosted Focus Blast) and the former is quite rare. Stealth Rock can be utilized in an offensive lead set, but Rampardos is quite frail and not a very reliable entry hazard setter. Substitute + Focus Punch can be used, but Rampardos has a hard time setting up Substitutes and the moveslots required cut into its coverage. Outrage and Double-Edge are two seemingly appealing moves, but provide no coverage and are usually a waste of a moveslot.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Rampardos is almost impossible due to its great coverage, high Attack, and strong STAB. A very effective way of stopping it is to simply prevent it from switching in on a slower Pokemon, meaning that it will have to take a hit before attacking. Bulky Fighting-types, especially bulky ones such as Hariyama and Poliwrath, can stomach any hit from Rampardos and OHKO with a STAB move of choice, though the former has to watch out for a Zen Headbutt and the latter will be hit hard by Thunderbolt or ThunderPunch from the respective sets. Ground-types such as Torterra and Golurk work as well. Golurk warrants a special mention due to its ability to hard counter wall the Choice Band set and to be able to take one Ice Beam (unlike Torterra). However, checking it Rampardos is quite easy for most teams. Ferroseed stands out as a good check due to its overall bulk, allowing it to take at least one coverage move and proceed to OHKO Rampardos. Alomomola can take a Head Smash from Rampardos, and although it is 2HKOed, Rampardos in turn takes massive recoil due to Alomomola's high HP stat. However, it is OHKOed by a Sheer Force-boosted Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>The best way to check Rampardos is to simply revenge kill it due to the fact that it is quite slow. Pokemon such as Rotom-C, faster variants of Gallade, and Sceptile can easily end Rampardos with their STABs. Almost any Pokemon faster than it with decent attacking prowess can OHKO it. Finally, users of priority such as Spiritomb, Absol, Kabutops, Gurdurr, (AC) and Hitmonlee can ruin Rampardos's fun.</p>

2/2

You had some strange thing going on with the brackets there.

Last edited:
Will implement this later, although this seems kinda messed up..... there is stuff i implemented from that check that didn't show up >_>
Edit-fuuuuuuuuuu.... it didn't save the gp check. Extremely sorry for this, will implement the first chrck as soon as i can...
Edit2 Implemented first gp check, ready for second, again, sorry :(

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kingler12345

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Rampardos is primarily seen as a wallbreaker in the RU tier, and accomplishes this with two main sets: one is that of a Choice Band wallbreaker and another is that of of a mixed core-breaker that can lure in its checks and counters and defeat them with the appropriate coverage move. Thus, between its colossal Attack stat and surprisingly generous special movepool, Rampardos is a truly great weapon against stall. However, it is let down by its poor Speed stat, which along with its horrible defensive typing and quite average bulk means that it won't be sticking around for long. It also faces competition from Aggron as a Rock-type with access to Head Smash, and unlike Rampardos, Aggron does not have to take massive amounts of recoil thanks to its Rock Head ability, meaning that Rampardos is often passed over in favor of it. Nevertheless, Rampardos separates itself from Aggron through its superior Attack and the ability to utilize its movepool well by going mixed.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Rampardos would normally be thought of as a one-dimensional wallbreaker, pummeling through the tier with its massive Attack, it also has the ability to go mixed due to access to Sheer Force and an vast, expansive special movepool. Access to Sheer Force is what makes this set work, as base 65 Special Attack is quite poor and without the previously mentioned ability, Rampardos would lose the ability to OHKO its would-be counters even with super effective attacks. The purpose of this set is to lure in the previously mentioned checks and counters and destroy them with the appropriate coverage move. Head Smash is Rampardos's signature move for good reason; coming off base 165 Attack, it can OHKO relatively bulky threats such as Amoonguss and Slowking even with minimal investment. However, the massive recoil it takes means that Head Smash should only be used when you are not sure of its a switch-in or where its coverage moves would otherwise not OHKO the target and that Rampardos will usually not survive for long enough to KO more than one or two Pokemon on a given team. Rock Slide is an alternative option, and while it does not hit nearly as hard as Head Smash does, it comes with the benefit of negating Life Orb damage, does not make Rampardos take additional recoil, and hits quite hard when boosted by Sheer Force, although it misses out on the OHKOs mentioned earlier. Thunderbolt OHKOes Qwilfish, OHKOes Alomomola after Stealth Rock, and hits Poliwrath hard, letting it Rampardos hit three important targets that would give it trouble; although Rampardos can 2HKO the former two with Head Smash, the recoil it would take makes this less than ideal. Focus Blast is yet another Sheer Force-boosted coverage move that lets Rampardos deal with important threats that would otherwise wall it: Steelix, Aggron, and Rhydon. Ice Beam is in the last slot as it lets Rampardos hit Druddigon and Torterra hard, as well as get an accurate hit on Rhydon. In addition, it forms a BoltBeam combo with Thunderbolt, granting near-flawless reliable coverage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread lets Rampardos outspeed Adamant Torterra (which Rampardos can then proceed to destroy with Ice Beam), while Special Attack is maximized to let Rampardos hit hard with its coverage moves and guarantee the OHKO on Rhydon, Steelix, and Alomomola after Stealth Rock. The rest of the EVs go into Attack to power up its STAB move. Rash is suggested for the nature as a Speed- or physical Attack-boosting nature does not let Rampardos outspeed or KO anything significant, and the extra special power is helpful to net the previously mentioned OHKOs, and while Mild seems like a viable alternative, the extra Defense gained can prove to be handy against priority attacks. Zen Headbutt is an option to hit the Fighting-types, (AC) which Rampardos despises, most notably Hariyama, but the moves on the set offer more coverage against more threats to Rampardos in general. While this set is able to rip through common stall cores, offense is a playstyle Rampardos struggles with a lot because of its horrible defensive typing, average bulk, and the fact that most offensive Pokemon outspeed it and can easily OHKO. As far as partners go, Uxie, Slowking, and Qwilfish make for good partners as they can provide paralysis support; some of these Pokemon help it in more than one way (Qwilfish provides Spikes support while Uxie can bring Rampardos in with U-turn). Swellow also makes for a good partner as it can clean through weakened teams, (RC) and while Rampardos can break through stall cores that give it trouble. In addition, it also provides a fast hitter, which makes up for Rampardos's poor Speed. Choice Scarf Rotom-C can outspeed and KO Pokemon such as Poliwrath that give this set trouble and appreciates Rampardos's ability to destroy more defensively oriented Pokemon.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Rampardos's most effective set is that of a mixed wallbreaker, this set takes a more straightforward approach to said role, although with more prediction required. Head Smash is the main move on this set and hits most of the tier for good damage. Superpower is run in the second slot to hit Pokemon that would otherwise easily stomach a Head Smash, such as Steelix, Aggron, and Rhydon (and it OHKOes Aggron). Fire Punch gets the Sheer Force boost and OHKOes threats such as Ferroseed and Escavalier without the stat drops from Superpower in the former's case or taking the massive recoil from Head Smash in the latter's case. It also hits the previously mentioned Steelix hard, albeit a lot less hard than Superpower. In the last slot, ThunderPunch hits problematic Pokemon such as Poliwrath, Alomomola, and Qwilfish for good damage, 2HKOing all of them. Alternatively, Rock Slide is a reliable STAB move that is boosted by Sheer Force, is more accurate, and doesn't force Rampardos to take massive recoil.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sheer Force is the preferred ability as it gives Fire Punch, ThunderPunch, and Rock Slide a much-needed boost. Alternatively, Mold Breaker can be used to allow Rampardos to screw over Custap Berry Crustle leads. Stone Edge can be used as an alternative STAB, but Head Smash is generally better and Rock Slide with a Sheer Force boost hits about as hard. Ice Punch can be used on the set to hit Ground-types such as Golurk and Torterra harder, but Rampardos generally cannot spare a moveslot for it. This set especially loves having paralysis support due to its poor Speed; again, Uxie, Qwilfish, and Slowking make for excellent candidates. Swellow and Accelgor make for a good cleaners that can wreck the opposing team after their checks are gone and clean up after Rampardos has done its job. Mesprit can cover up its Rampardos's Fighting weakness and learns Healing Wish, which can heal Rampardos up to full health and get rid of pesky status. Magneton can trap and get rid of the Steel-types that Rampardos despises. Fast, powerful Pokemon such as Sceptile and Aerodactyl can form a potent offensive core with Rampardos and appreciate its ability to break through defensive Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>While a Choice Scarf set might seem perfect due to Rampardos's Speed, it is still very slow and can be outsped by Sceptile and Cinccino even when holding said item. It is also easily revenge killed and unlike its wallbreaking counterparts, struggles against defensively oriented teams. Rampardos can fit quite well on Trick Room teams, and is a good candidate for a wallbreaker on such teams with the appropriate IV and nature adjustments. Hidden Power Grass is an option on the mixed set to hit Quagsire while retaining coverage on Rhydon, but it cannot OHKO the latter (unlike a Sheer Force-boosted Focus Blast) and the former is quite rare. Stealth Rock can be utilized in an offensive lead set, but Rampardos is quite frail and not a very reliable entry hazard setter. Substitute + Focus Punch can be used, but Rampardos has a hard time setting up Substitutes and the moveslots required cut into its coverage. Outrage and Double Edge are two seemingly appealing moves, but provide no coverage and are both usually a waste of a moveslot.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Rampardos is almost impossible due to its great coverage, high Attack, and strong STAB moves. A very effective way of stopping it is to simply prevent it from switching in on a slower Pokemon, meaning that it will have to take a hit before attacking. Fighting-types, especially bulky ones such as Hariyama and Poliwrath, can stomach any hit from Rampardos and OHKO with a STAB move of choice, though the former has to watch out for a Zen Headbutt and the latter will be hit hard by Thunderbolt or ThunderPunch from the respective sets. Ground-types such as Torterra and Golurk work as well. Golurk warrants a special mention due to its ability to hard-wall counter the Choice Band set and to be able to take one Ice Beam (unlike Torterra). However, checking it Rampardos is quite easy for most teams. Ferroseed stands out as a good check due to its overall bulk, allowing it to take at least one coverage move and proceed to OHKO Rampardos. Alomomola can take a Head Smash from Rampardos, and although it is 2HKOed, Rampardos in turn takes massive recoil due to Alomomola's high HP stat. However, Alomomola is OHKOed by a Sheer Force-boosted Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>The best way to check Rampardos is to simply revenge kill it, due to the fact that it is quite slow and not exactly sturdy. Pokemon such as Rotom-C, faster variants of Gallade, and Sceptile can easily end Rampardos with their STAB moves. Almost any Pokemon faster than it with decent attacking prowess can OHKO it. Finally, users of priority such as Spiritomb, Absol, Kabutops, Gurdurr, and Hitmonlee can ruin Rampardos's fun very quickly indeed.</p>

2/2

Last edited:
Aaaaaand i just realized i had forgotten to set the tag to copyediting ;~;
Anyway, ready for upload and really, really sorry for this shit :c

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)