Random Battle (LIVE!)

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
EDIT: Implemented

-Tyranitar
Add: Flamethrower, Thunder Wave
Flamethrower is more reliable than Fire Blast, and Thunder Wave uses your impressive bulk to bring opponents closer to your 61 Speed / cripple offensive threats.

-Solrock, Lunatone
Add: Trick Room, Explosion (Lunatone, Solrock already has it)
Trick Room is great, immediately exploding after so teammates can use it right away is better slow. Also, both are slow enough to use it decently.

Here is a bit of an Arceus revamp to further variety/coverage while making sure the options there are good.

-Arceus-Electric
Add: Roar
Remove: Iron Defense
Changing my mind on Iron Defense, it's plenty fun but you have CM / Boltbeam for quakers and Mono-Attacker is hurt by Grounds immunity to electric. Roar helps you remove those who would phaze CM and uses your great bulk/typing an so Recover to phaze even without CM.

-Arceus-Bug
Add: Earth Power
Keeps coverage on Steels for special sets while also hitting Fires.

-Arceus-Rock
Add: Extreme Speed, Ice Beam
Remove: Grass Knot
ESpeed is always great on SD and Ice Beam is more reliable than GK/gets more coverage. GK nails Waters but they don't resist Judgment anyways.

-Arceus-Flying, Arceus-Dark,
Add: Thunder Wave (Flying), Will-O-Wisp, Roar (Dark)
Remove: Refresh
Ive never really liked Refresh on Randbats Arceus; you usually have much better to do, as the move is very situational. I'm keeping it on just one type, Rock (which is screwed by all forms of status and just needs EdgeQuake/special equivalent for coverage). Both of the other Refreshers get a useful status instead (Dark gets WoW for physical bugs/fightings). Darkceus also gets Roar to abuse its setup and grew defensive typing.

-Arceus-Psychic
Remove: Will-O-Wisp
Too often it doesn't make a difference, either because you'll kill the target regardless or the target doesn't care much. Psychic isn't awesome for status walling anyways.

-Arceus-Ground
Add: Toxic
Great natural bulk? Solid defensive typing? Crushes Steels and Poisons with STAB? Has reliable recovery? Sign me up!

-Arceus-Dragon, Arceus-Poison
Remove: Toxic
Can't hit Steels neutrally without Earthquake? Just not needed, WoW better cripples Steels / Grounds and Rocks respectively.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestions:

-Mr. Mime
Add: Thunder Wave, Trick
Remove: Barrier
T-Wave cripples all the physical sweepers that switch into you and things faster than your decent but not spectacular 90 Speed, while that 90 Speed makes TrickScarfing awesome and TrickSpecs is far from bad. Barrier is fun to use/BP but you're not a Special defensive juggernaut anyways and no recovery sucks. Passing CM/Sub is generally better unless you're in a full BP chain, which you won't be in randoms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess "slow down" is better fitted than "pause".

EDIT: Implemented.

-Giratina-Origin
Add: Earthquake
Remove: Hidden Power Fire
EQ is a powerful physical option that nails Steels. HP Fire seems a Ubers-specific choice for spinblocking forretress, which is pretty niche for randbats.

-Giratina
Add: Toxic, Aura Sphere
Toxic lets you use Pressure and massive bulk to stall, and Aura Sphere gives you a way to nail Steels (which STABS pre-CM and Toxic can't really)

-Golduck
Add: Hypnosis
Remove: Focus Blast
Hypnosis brings fun CM setup and havoc-wreaking, while Focus Blast seems cool but rarely useful.

-Slaking
Remove: Hammer Arm
The Speed drops make Truant even worse. EQ handles the need fine.

-Hypno
Remove: Calm Mind, Barrier
CM just makes you wish you had that sweet NastyPass/Sweep, and as with Mr. Mime Barrier is dubious.

-Kingdra
Add: Dragon Pulse
A Dragon STAB that doesn't disadvantage you in some way. Fun for bludgeoning on Rain Dance / Focus Energy sets.

-Blaziken
Add: Overheat
For mostly physical sets, it is more powerful and reliable than Fire Blast to smash a key physical wall.

-Beautifly
Add: Hidden Power Ground, U-Turn
Remove: Roost, Hidden Power Fighting
HP Ground is more useful for its coverage Poison/Fire, and U-Turn could work with a Choice Scarf. Roost is much less useful with your paper bulk and typing.

-Seviper
Add: Glare
Lets you cripple offensive switchins (including Grounds) with paralysis, also letting you outspeed them and hit them with the appropriate option in your wide movepool.

-Snorlax
Remove: Ice Punch
Return hits 2x weak mons just as hard, and having this just for dragons/flying or ground is pretty niche.

-Muk
Add: Explosion
KABOOM also fun with curse

Adeleine

Especially paying attention to possible removals and de-gunking.

-Mewtwo
Add: Trick
Do you like Specs Mewtwo that cripples the few things it doesn't destroy? I like that. Scarf is also hilarious to outsped slower speed boosters

-Deoxys-Defense
Add: Thunder Wave, Counter, Mirror Coat
TWave is great support that cripples the offensive mons that don't mind taunt, while CounterCoat enjoyably gives your opponent aneurysms.

-Raichu
Add: Endure, Endeavor
Raichu's less impressive stats and the impressive coverage it gets from STAB + one of Surf/GK/HP Ice alone make it a great user of pinch berries, which Endure can sometimes do more reliably than Substitute. Endeavor works excellently with Endure, letting you get a mighty hit on a wall before fainting.

-Dugtrio
Add: Night Slash
Remove: Reversal
Night Slash gives you Dark coverage that doesn't require the opponent to attack. Additionally, few DPP things will outsped 120 Speed. Reversal is okay but Reversal+Sub/Endure is worse than Dark move + Stealth Rock/Sub.

-Camerupt
Add: Substitute
Remove: Rock Polish
Due to Random Battle EVs, you'll still be very slow after a Rock Polish; Substitute is a better prediction-assisting option that also leads to very fun Explosions à la Golem.

-Tangrowth
Add: Earthquake
Reliable way to hit Steels (plus Fires and Poisons) that comes off that nice 100 Attack.

-Quagsire
Add: Ice Punch, Encore
Remove: Stone Edge, Surf
Stone Edge is very inaccurate for the defensive Pokemon and Surf is just so weak and unneeded off 65 SpA. Ice Punch picks up the coverage on Flying (and Dragon) types while keeping good accuracy, and Encore is useful support.

-Dewgong
Add: Waterfall
Remove: Protect
Waterfall gives powerful physical STAB, and while Protect is fun with Toxic it overall isn't that useful and wastes Rain turns.

-Marowak
Remove: Swords Dance
Hilariously powerful but near impossible to use effectively due to your dubious speed and special bulk.

-Luxray
Add: Discharge
The paralysis chance punishes non-Ground switchins and may enhance what you can outspeed.

-Relicanth
Add: Rock Polish
55 Speed isn't terrible for an agility clone and you have the great offensive power/moves to abuse it

-Blastoise
Remove: Yawn
Yawn is less useful when you have Roar

-Pinsir
Remove: Substitute
This feels very unnecessary, and its slot is much better filled by Earthquake, Stealth Rock, or even Quick Attack. It just doesn't specifically help Pinsir enough.

-Delcatty
Add: Ice Beam
A good companion to Shadow Ball for CM sets that often hits super effectively; it also functions as special STAB if Normalize is used.

-Spinda
Add: Fake Out, Endure, Flail
Remove: Ice Punch, Psychic
Fake Out gives some potential for utility by first-striking things, while Endure can both give b-passable Salac boosts and prime a Salac Flail that might actually hurt things. The removed options look cool but rarely outdamage STAB.

-Shiftry
Add: Low Kick
Physical coverage for Steels, Fighting/Dark coverage is always nice.

-Dodrio
Add: Agility, Baton Pass
Congratulations, you now have something to distinguish you from every Normal/Flying ever.

-Swellow
Add: Return
To make non-status orb sets possible, they die less quickly and give variety.

-Garchomp
Add: Stealth Rock
Just an amazing move, especially in Randoms.

Adeleine

Removals at the top, Additions-Only at the bottom.

-Arbok
Remove: Gunk Shot, Rest
When facing foes outside of UU, even with Intimidate / Shed Skin resp., you don't really have much bulk to deal with Gunk Shot misses or sleep turns.

-Mothim
Remove: Tailwind
Forgot that this only lasted three turns in Gen 4. U-Turn is still good though.

-Tauros
Add: Payback
Remove: Zen Headbutt
Payback hits (not switching out) Ghosts harder than Pursuit, especially if they are switching in, and often Ghosts won't have reason to switch out from you. Zen Headbutt is barely more powerful than neutral Return on super-effective hits and considerably less reliable; it rather wishes Tauros had Sheer Force by now, but alas it does not.

-Aggron
Remove: Toxic
Just Head Smash, you're not exactly some great-typed instant-heal cleric over here

-Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys
Remove: Spikes, Stealth Rock (Deoxys)
The fact that you usually wont be leading with either, and that you'll be facing less-bulky non-Ubers, makes hazards less useful on these frail powerhouses. Deo-A keeps SR because it's so amazing at revenge killing and forcing switches, while the slightly weaker/bulkier Deoxys focuses on offense.

-Clefable
Add: Encore
Remove: Grass Knot, Healing Wish
Grass Knot is a decent move but overall rather less useful than Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. Healing Wish is fun and occasionally devastating but you are slow and overall have better things to do. Encore is excellent support that lets you turn the tables on those exploiting your sometimes-passive nature.

-Nidoking
Remove: Surf
Taking this one back, Earth Power covers rocks and grounds fine

-Heatran
Add: Rest, Sleep Talk, Taunt
Remove: Protect, Overheat, Hidden Power Ice
Restalk works well with your bulk and resistances to heal, while Taunt comes off an okay 77 Speed and frustrates defensive Pokemon (particularly those trapped with Magma Storm). Protect is okay but outcompeted by your many offensive and defensive options, three Fire STABS is enough and Overheat doesn't offer massive benefit over Fire Blast, and HP Ice doesn't have the power/coverage to merit a slot.

-Steelix
Add: Gyro Ball
Remove: Ice Fang, Fire Fang
The Fangs are too weak, you're too weak, and you have EdgeQuake anyways. Pass. Also, Gyro Ball is a fine alternative over iron head with your speed, especially after Curses.

-Slaking
Add: Night Slash, Ice Beam
Remove: Sucker Punch
Night Slash hits Ghosts reliably, and Ice Beam gets useful damage on physically bulky Grounds and such while increasing the likelihood of less predictable non-choice sets. The mere thought of Sucker Punch Truant makes me writhe in pain.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Parasect
Add: Pursuit
Pursuit lets you nail fleeing Pokemon you have put to sleep.

-Persian
Add: Nasty Plot, Swift, Dark Pulse
Your special Attack is only 5 worse than your attack, and you have great non-damaging (NP, Hypnosis) as well as damaging (Dark Pulse, Technician Swift and Water Pulse) moves for it.

-Magnezone
Add: Explosion
Rip Special Walls 2017-2017

-Farfetch'd
Add: Agility, Baton Pass
Giving Speed/Attack boosts to actual threats is always nice

-Machamp
Add: Substitute
Great for taking advantage of the switches Dynamic Punch forces.

-Weezing
Add: Haze
Lets it deal with bulky boosters that would set up on it otherwise

-Glaceon
Add: Toxic
Fun with Wishtect, and threatens switchins that wouldn't mind anything else e.g. bulky Waters. Too bad it can't affect Steels but at least you have HP Ground for that.

-Celebi
Add: Swords Dance, Seed Bomb, Zen Headbutt, Trick, U-Turn
The former gives another way to threaten as well as Baton Pass boosts, while the latter make very amusing and useful Choice sets.

-Linoone
Add: Switcheroo
For a less risky Band Extreme Speed set that can also cripple opponents

-Lopunny
Add: Agility, Substitute, Baton Pass
Especially with Encore, you make a great BP supporter.

Adeleine

-Empoleon
Add: Agility
Agility is a useful tool that lets it abuse a high 111 SpA and make up for its poor 60 Speed

-Deoxys, Deoxys-A
Add: Pursuit
Lets it pursuit-trap weakened targets and ensure revenge kills, while also playing mindgames with other Psychics as well as with Ghosts.

-Marowak
Add: Stealth Rock
Not the most optimal user ever but it's so good a move and you're reasonably bulky.

-Kangaskhan
Add: Low Kick
Remove: Double-Edge
Double-Edge isn't bad but it somewhat puts that nice base HP and bulk to waste. Low Kick hits Rocks and Steels without lowering Speed like Hammer Arm.

-Charizard, Dragonite
Remove: Substitute
Seems rather filler / not often useful

-Raticate
Add: Quick Attack
Makes your priority less predictable/exploitable

Adeleine

Gen. 4 Random Battles are currently live on Showdown! Thank you so much to those who contributed! To play, challenge your friends (with /challenge username, gen4randombattle or by clicking on their name and "challenge") and select [Gen 4] Random Battle under "Past Generations". It is also available on the ladder. I'll keep testing and report any sets that need fixing; if you find any, feel free to put them here. Have fun!

Reactions: dom
Infernape
Add: Close combat, Fire blast, Mach punch and Flare blitz
all move it's for the stab and fire blast / flare blitz for the recoil and mixed mon is cool

Adeleine

Adeleine

Bug/Suggestion/etc. Report (continually being edited) on OP:

Mega Evolution should not be possible (known).
In turn 17 here, the ability works properly but is visually assigned to the wrong Pokemon.
Pokemon outclassed by their evolutions, such as Hippopotas, should not appear.
Hidden Power Grass Glaceon is bad (besides hitting Waters harder than Shadow Ball it doesnt do much)
Pokemon without Sunny Day/Drought should not have Solar Beam.
Pokemon without Rain Dance should not have Swift Swim, unless the other ability lacks significant use (this happened to me on Kingdra, and Sniper does have use)
Protect + Entry Hazard should not be a move combination.
Speed Boost + Choice Scarf should not be a combination.
Leech Seed + Roar should not be a combination.
Rest + Sleep Talk + Roar + Setup Move should not be a combination.
Taunt + Substitute + Setup Move should not be a combination.
Calm Mind + Light Screen should not be a combination.
Sturdy + Custap Berry should not be a combination (since Sturdy only blocks OHKO moves now)
Brick Break + Low Kick should not be a combination.
Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock should increase the chance to roll Focus Sash

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
had a crocune (CM + RestTalk) suicune with ice beam. Should be Surf. Anything with CM + RestTalk should prefer its STAB if it has one available for it. In that match, my opp left before I could use IB.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen4randombattle-590458467

Also my opponent getting Hippopotas makes me wonder how NFEs are considered given there's no Eviolite in DPP. I don't think I've ever seen a Snover in any randbat in recent memory. I'm not sure how mons are generated for randbats, but I wager it's based off of tiers/banlists?

Mega Evolution should not be possible (known).
Pokemon outclassed by their evolutions, such as Hippopotas, should not appear.
Hidden Power Grass Glaceon is bad (besides hitting Waters harder than Shadow Ball it doesnt do much)
Pokemon without Rain Dance should not have Swift Swim, unless the other ability lacks significant use (this happened to me on Kingdra, and Sniper does have use)
Speed Boost + Choice Scarf should not be a combination.
Rest + Sleep Talk + Roar + Setup Move should not be a combination.
Taunt + Substitute + Setup Move should not be a combination.
Sturdy + Custap Berry should not be a combination (since Sturdy only blocks OHKO moves now)
Brick Break + Low Kick is redundant.
Discharge + Thunderbolt is redundant.
Wish + Moonlight(, etc.) shouldn't exist.
Chesto-less Rest + Substitute should not exist.
I fixed these

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
had a crocune (CM + RestTalk) suicune with ice beam. Should be Surf. Anything with CM + RestTalk should prefer its STAB if it has one available for it. In that match, my opp left before I could use IB.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen4randombattle-590458467

Also my opponent getting Hippopotas makes me wonder how NFEs are considered given there's no Eviolite in DPP. I don't think I've ever seen a Snover in any randbat in recent memory. I'm not sure how mons are generated for randbats, but I wager it's based off of tiers/banlists?
Upload/link the actual replay you nerd not the battle room

Eruption/Water Spout + Sunny Day/Rain Dance should not be a combination.
Rock Polish + Leech Seed shouldn't exist.
Sunny Day + Eruption shouldn't exist.
Castform seems to have rolled Hurricane + Rain Dance although neither is on the github (and the former is illegal)
A move shouldn't be duplicated on a set.
Leaf Storm (etc.) + Baton Pass shouldn't exist
Energy Ball + Grass Knot shouldn't exist
Night Shade + Seismic Toss shouldn't exist
Dragon Dance + Pursuit shouldn't exist
Taunt should be removed from Kricketune, its slowness/fraility/terrible defensive typing give it little opportunity to use the move. SD is better for such windows anyways.
Water Spout/Eruption should increase chance to roll Choice Specs (or Scarf on fast enough pokemon)
Togekiss should be given Thunder Wave to, besides act as a status spreader, ease setup and serene grace flinching
Bibarel's movepool isn't as useful as it could be, suggested change of +Stealth Rock, +Super Fang, +Thunder Wave -Taunt
Fixed these (whenever PS! restarts or updates)

EDIT: And these
Taunt Soft-Boiled Explosion U-Turn Mew isn't great; maybe Soft-Boiled + Explosion shouldn't exist? Maybe Explosion should mandate either an entry hazard or a STAB move?
Stone Edge + Rock Slide shouldn't exist
Charge Beam should pair with Life Orb for the extra kick; overall Expert Belt feels a bit more common than it should be
Calm Mind + Draco Meteor shouldn't exist
Dragon Dance + Toxic shouldn't exist
Iron Head + Gyro Ball shouldn't exist
Psycho Cut + Zen Headbutt shouldn't exist

Last edited:
Minor thing, but Aura Sphere should force Raikou to be shiny + Rash nature, as the move comes from an event Raikou that can only ever be shiny/Rash. I haven't seen it yet so idk if it's in there, but Extreme Speed Entei should also be shiny/Adamant because of the same event. (And I think Suicune's event move was Sheer Cold iirc? So that one doesn't matter.)

Adeleine

Minor thing, but Aura Sphere should force Raikou to be shiny + Rash nature, as the move comes from an event Raikou that can only ever be shiny/Rash. I haven't seen it yet so idk if it's in there, but Extreme Speed Entei should also be shiny/Adamant because of the same event. (And I think Suicune's event move was Sheer Cold iirc? So that one doesn't matter.)
You're right on the compatibilities but PS Random Battles (including the current gen7 ones and one) ignore such legality issues, some reasons being that not ignoring them would give unfair advantages / disadvantages, so this will not be implemented.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen4randombattle-601911721

Mightyena was Intimidate @ Flame Orb with Howl / Taunt / Sucker / Facade. It shouldn't have flame orb if it doesn't have an ability that benefits from statused, usually guts. Quick Feet should have a tendency towards toxic orb as well, especially if there's another attacking move that isn't Facade.
Fixed that

and this,

A Pokemon's only STAB shouldn't be Self-Destruct or Explosion

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

It would be nice to have a move with >40bp, but also is foresight without rapid spin a thing?
I mean you really shouldn't be bringing top without spin at all in DPP but running foresight + close combat with the sole intention of eliminating spiritomb wasn't totally unheard of in uu (still crazy tho), doesn't really apply in this situation cuz randbats so foresight probably shouldn't even be an option but ya

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4randombattle-800487568 - turn 14, wood hammer missed mamoswine under hail. it's got snow cloak. should it not have snow cloak per this decision: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/revisiting-evasion-abilities-in-dpp.3597155/page-2 ?
Random battle formats ignore certain illegalities, possibly including that one which is a validation rule not an in battle clause. Teams that are randomly generated on the server skip the validator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)