Other Tiers RBY Random Battles Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

RBY has a surprisingly large Random Battle community with a fairly stacked ladder, often being seen as one of the best ways to get into the generation. Discuss the format here! Do NOT post moveset suggestions here. Go here instead where the codeowner can see the issues and update accordingly; it's best we keep all issues in one cohesive place.

Random Battles are regularly played on RBY Monday Live Tours in the RoA Room, often reaching well over 30 participants. Here's a schedule, times are in GMT+0, no DST;
  • 11 AM - 1 PM - Asian
  • 8 PM - 10 PM - Euro
  • 2 AM - 4 AM - Pan-Am
The RBY Room has daily automated Random Battle Live Tours as well, here's a schedule for that;

Some discussion prompts to get you started;
  • Any interesting replays or ladder stories?
  • Any factoids or strategies to share?
  • Thoughts on how good/bad certain Pokemon are?
PS has now a Gen 1 Random Battle ladder. Post here replay, lols, and suggestions on how to improve them. Also LC and NFE needs sets if anyone's insterested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
< is interested

randbats coding in gen 1 works in a similar way to gen 6 or no?

----

starting tomorrow I'll start working out viable sets for NFEs etc.

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
WreckDra just a note that Egg Bomb is lower accuracy than Double Edge, but general OU consensus is Double Edge is inferior.

It should only have 1 of Egg Bomb/Hyper Beam per set.. as well as only one of rest/explosion, psychic should be mandatory, sleep powder/stun spore should be used in 1 slot, and mega drain is a fine option in the 4th slot [so... Psychic, Rest/Explosion, Sleep Powder/Stun Spore, Sleep Powder/Stun Spore/Mega Drain/Egg Bomb/Hyper Beam/Leech Seed].. Leech seed should only appear with rest, also stun spore+mega drain/egg bomb is bad, but not with hyper beam.

Also all mons with Softboiled/Recover should always use it apart from Staryu/Starmie are still competent without it (although generally inferior)

--------------------------------------
In later generation randbats, you never have more than 2 pokemon of the same type. Imo this is good for RBY.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Eh I guess although I feel Hyper Beam Egg's been fairly popular recently (particularly with marco, iirc it was Bomber who first made real note of it though)

I'm willing to concede the point about lack of consensus

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Nidoking is currently Nidorino? I thought it was just a weird random NFE but then I saw it had EQ, which wasn't right...

Also EVERY Farfetch'd moveset should have Slash. It's like the only good thing about it.

duck

duck
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Focus energy Primeape=NO. It is bugged in rby, it actually lower the crit rate.
Persian shouldn't have screech if it has only slash as a physical move because slash is 100% crit, so screech is useless cuase crits ignores drops.

Why is nidorino the only nfe pokemon that can be drawn? it doesn't make much sense to me.

Well, it seems there's another one but I can understand that *this one* is just for the jokes.

Also why is magikarp (WITH DRAGON RAGE) a possible pokemon but none of the other lc's?

edit: agreeing with previous posts- remove focus energy from everything.
maybe it's just me, but the only possible moves on starmie are tbolt blizz recover and twave, I think psychic and surf/hydro pump (add only one of them, or make it so that you can only get one of them) should also be added.

not sure why gengar has counter as an option

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Also why is magikarp (WITH DRAGON RAGE) a possible pokemon but none of the other lc's?

edit: agreeing with previous posts- remove focus energy from everything.
maybe it's just me, but the only possible moves on starmie are tbolt blizz recover and twave, I think psychic and surf/hydro pump (add only one of them, or make it so that you can only get one of them) should also be added.

not sure why gengar has counter as an option
Starmie doesn't even need Recover manditorily.. I'd say that basically you want a mixture of Psychic/Blizzard/Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave/Recover/1 of Surf/Hydro Pump/Hyper Beam.. if there's any way to introduce a bias to make recover a common move (like 90%?) then that'd be suitable. I'm not unhappy with Recover being mandatory though.

Also I kinda disagree with Dragon Rage on Magikarp.. that's a gen 2 event move; are we allowing Tradeback event moves in gen 1 randbats?

---
Also please remove Counter Gengar o.o
---
Parasect should always run Spore, and then run some combo of Sword Dance+Hyper Beam/Leech Life, Mega Drain, Stun Spore, Slash [so, something like, 1 Must have Spore, 2 then choose between SD/Slash/Stun/MD/Leech/HB, if SD then choose HB/Leech for 3rd, if HB/Leech choose SD, otherwise reiterate.]

Chansey MUST have softboiled ALWAYS.. List of viable chansey sets:
Softboiled+Thunder Wave+Ice Beam+Thunderbolt, any move other than Ice Beam/Softboiled could be replaced with Counter or Sing or Light Screen(? rare option but viable) or Reflect
Softboiled+Thunder Wave+Reflect+Seismic Toss [Raish Chansey ^.^]

Last edited:

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Here is something interesting, there is potential for an endless battle to occur in these when two untransformed Ditto are out against each other. Because Transform doesn't fail when used on opposing Ditto (I assume this is correct implementation, correct me f I am wrong), they will continuously regain 5 PP Transform every time it uses the move. This means the battle is effectively halted until someone switches, or, if both Ditto are the last mons on either team, until someone forfeits. It won't come into play very much at all, but I did encounter the first situation today.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm adding soon NFEs and LCs so there's more variety and I'll adjust levels sooner or later to attempt to achieve a good balance.
IIRC that's how ditto vs ditto works, I'll think something about it. Tie did exist on Gen 1, didn't it?

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Well we had Self-KO Clause in Stadium which basically acted as a tiebreaker, but I guess you could cause the game to automatically tie if Ditto vs Ditto is left and both have Transform PP>0. (no other mons remaining ofc)
---
Also reply to my pm plz joim :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)