Random Matchup Doubles

Random Matchup has the same rules as VGC'12 so I posted it here. Anyway I need help deciding which Pokemon to use on my team as a special attacker. Porygon-Z or Gengar. For now I'd be using this team on random machup. I guess it could also work for the VGC'12 rules anyway.

My team:

Accelgor-252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Spd
Item: Grass Gem
Ability: Hydration
Nature: Mild

Energy Ball
Bug Buzz
Yawn
Protect
Accelgor can counter Latios in a pinch. Bug Buzz can 1HKO him, and Latios can't outspeed Accelgor so it works. Energy Ball against other types gives it decent coverage. Grass Gem gives it pretty much a 1 time STAB Energy Ball. It really helps against those types like Excadrill who resist Bug. Yawn can put the threat to sleep while stalling a turn with Protect. Then I can take out the other Pokemon while the other one is sleeping. Or they could switch. Either way at the Philadelphia VGC Yawn got me a victory or two.

Arcanine-4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Item: Fire Gem
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly

ExtremeSpeed
Flare Blitz
Close Combat
Protect

Arcanine is my Fire Pokemon. No other Pokemon has a fighting type move so that is why I gave it Close Combat. ExtremeSpeed can take out Focus Sash users, or Pokemon that have very little HP left. Fire Gem gives it a really powerful Flare Blitz which will 2HKO any Pokemon that does not 4x resist Fire.

Lickilicky-252 HP/200 Atk/32 Def/24 SpDef
Item: Chople Berry
Ability: Cloud Nine
Nature: Brave

Sunny Day
Return
Power Whip
Protect

Lickilicky is my counter to weather teams I loose so much to. It helps to knock off rain, or sandstorm right away with Cloud Nine. Then if the weather condition comes back it can get rid of it without sacrificing a switch, because it has Sunny Day. I've rarely run into sun teams so that is why I gave it Sunny Day. Power Whip really helps to counter rain teams. Then Return is it's basic STAB move it can use against types that resist Grass.

Metagross-252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Adamant

Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Protect

It's great Attack allows it to serve some major damage while it's great defenses allows it to survive for a while. Bullet Punch gives it a powerful STAB priority move. For taking out Pokemon who half 1/4 of their HP left. Meteor Mash will be it's main STAB move. Earthquake is a good spread move. Ground is super effective against 5 differt types so that gives Metagross a better chance for a 2x move.

Umbreon-200 HP/8 Atk/80 Def/220 SpDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Careful

Curse
Payback
Helping Hand
Protect

Umbreon is my wall. Curse, then Payback can really be effective. Then Helping Hand to support attack. Protect can help recover HP to maybe survive another attack, then hit it hard with Payback. Fighting type moves are generally physical, while bug type moves can be either physical or special. So Umbreon can last a while while supporting and attacking.

Options:

Gengar-252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Spd
Item: Life Orb
Ability:Levitate
Nature: Hasty

Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Sludge Wave
Protect

Gengar has Life Orb which is useful. With Helping Hand support it could 1HKO Cresselia with Shadow Ball. Then it has a useful spread move in the form of Sludge Wave. 95 base power + STAB will make it a powerful spread move. Then it has thunderbolt for good type coverage.

Porygon-Z-4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spd
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Timid
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Discharge
Hyper Beam

Choice Scarf increases it's base speed to 135. It has a varitety of moves including Ice Beam which my current team lacks. Dark Pulse can maybe get a flinch. Discharge allows it to have a spread move that is a different type. Hyper Beam, 150 power + Double STAB = a whopping 300 power. Gengar and Porygon-Z are even in my eyes.

Which one do you think I should use?

The Rules said:
3. Have some actual words in your post beyond your six Pokemon and their moves. Not following this makes your post quite boring to read and rate. All Pokemon should have a good reason for being in your team anyway, so why not post that reason? If you are having trouble with this one, start by giving an explanation for each team member. Why are they there? What role do they serve? How do you get them in? Then, give an explanation of how you would open with the team and how you would go about using it. All of these things help people rate your team and allow us to offer more helpful advice.

This does not mean add one sentence saying "Standard x" or "all-around awesome" after each Pokemon. If you put thought into making the team, you can put thought into posting it.
Please expand on your descriptions otherwise I would have to lock this thread yet again.

Accelgor: I am a bit confused about the Grass Gem. Does it allow you to counter things you couldn't otherwise? Not too sure if it gives you any important OHKO's, or for that matter anything at all. Giga Drain would be better because it has just about the same power, and the health back might be good. It has good synergy with Focus Sash which is a fine item for the relatively frail Acellgor. Modest is better then Mild any day since you have no physical attacks.

Arcanine: I feel like I complained about Arcanine somewhere else recently, and have exactly the same thoughts here. Unless Intimidate and being sorta bulky really mean that much, there are better Fire types. Arcanine will be brought down by the recoil of Flare Blitz and the stat lowering of Close Combat, negating the bulk somewhat. Infernape has Fake Out, which your team currently lacks, and also STAB on Close Combat. If priority outside of Fake Out is something you like, he has Mach Punch which hits things super effectively better then Extremespeed.

Lickilicky: Sunny Day doesn't go well with Cloud Nine. As long as he is on the field, it's like there is no weather, so you won't even have to interfere with the opponents strategy weather-wise. Hopefully he will also be bulky enough to hang around awhile, so he wouldn't be using it while close to being KO'd. Your own weather user could be more helpful, their unending weather lasting longer then just their time on the field, the opponent having to switch to get theirs back.

Metagross: Have Zen Headbutt, it is great for coverage and Fighting types. Earthquake is the best thing to ditch, the team only has OK resists agianst it.

Umbreon: Offensive set up support can be a hard trick to pull of in Doubles. Paybck won't be able to do too much unless without at least 1 Curse. Cress would just fill this role far better, Fighting is a bad type to be weak to with Hitmontop's insane popularity. Calm Mind as the set up move if you want one. She still has access to Helping Hand to support the team.

Going with the current team, Gengar would be better because PorygonZ would give too big a Fighting weakness. Members definitely need to be switched though, so the better of these 2 could change. Gengar should have Timid over Hasty so you don't drop Defense. Poison has such hideous coverage there are better things to do with Sludge Wave's spot. HP Ice will help deal with Dragons the team doesn't like, or Will O Wisp to quickly cripple physical threats.

Mild seems like a bad nature too.

Firegem seems like a waste; even normal gem could get some better KOs I think...

The problem with Discharge on Porygon is that you need to use Protect on your other guy, and there's never a situation where Discharge + Protect is going to do more damage than Thunderbolt + nonresisted attack. EQ, too, requires protect w/ all but Gengar.

If you're going to do spread moves, you either choose moves like Heatwave that don't hit your guys, or you choose a team that has immunities... or at least resistences... to your "hits all" spread moves. Discharge, for example, could be used to great effect w/ Electivire or Jolteon, and wouldn't hurt landorus or similar pokemon. For double and triple battles, spread moves are key - as you can often get key kos in one turn w/o "gang attacking" into protect. Spread moves are so important that wide guard is an important move. Indeed, more spread moves + Wide Guard to protect your own guys from said spread moves and opponents is often a strong metagame choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)