Randorosu (QC Approved 0/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ground/Flying
Randorosu

[Overview]

• Unique speed stat that allows him to outspeed arguably the most important tier.
  • Amazing ability that when Sandstorm is up, boosts the two most common moves he'll be using, Earthquake and Stone Edge.
  • Being immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, as well as him having a good typing and U-turn mean that Randorosu makes for a good scout.
  • Very limited movepool. Earthquake and Stone Edge do the job of everything and thankfully recieve a boost from Sand Power.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Brick Break / U-turn / Substitute
item: Yache Berry / Leftovers
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Set Comments

• After a Swords Dance and Sand Power, Earthquake and Stone Edge dent anything hard.
  • Fairly bulky, 89/90/80 isn't too bad, and with Randorosu's immunity to Electric and Ground moves, as well as Spikes and Toxic Spikes, make it able to survive at least one attack before it stomps on something with Earthquake or Stone Edge.
  • Brick Break is there so you don't have to rely on the shaky accuracy to hit Bronzong, and because there are few other options.
  • Another choice is U-turn, which is beneficial in that it allows you to be more conservative with Randorosu by allowing it to U-turn out on something that would obviously switch out of Randorosu, most of these being Steel- types such as Heatran and Lucario. From here, you can scout the oppenent's primary switch-in to Randorosu and adjust accordingly. If you aren't using Leftovers, you may also bluff a Choice Scarf.
  • Substitute is an option if you want to be more conservative and want to scout for their counter to Randorosu, or to check if they carry an Ice- or Water- move. Leftovers is recommended as the self-inflicting damage from LO + Substitute will be too much.
  • Yache Berry allows you to take an Ice- type move and retaliate with a boosted Earthquake or Stone Edge.
Additional Comments

• Life Orb is also an option for this set, although it doesn't really KO anything with it than if it didn't have Life Orb. However, Life Orb is useful in the case that you don't get the Swords Dance up, and want to hit with immediate damage.
  • A possible replacement for both Stone Edge or Brick Break is the move Knock Down. While Knock Down has a lower base power than Stone Edge, its ability removes the Ground immunity from the Pokemon it hits. This allows Randorosu to easily KO Bronzong and Skarmory with Earthquake. However, Knock Down is situational, and should only be majorly considered if you're having trouble with either Skarmory or Bronzong.
Teammates & Counters

• Tyranitar to set up Sandstorm. Hippowdon is also on option if you're opting for a more defensive teammate.
  • Vaporeon is a good teammate due to resisting Water- and Ice- type moves and being able to pass Wish onto Randorosu.
  • Magnezone is an option to take out Skarmory or Bronzong, the two Pokemon who cause most trouble for this set.
  • Having a layer of Spikes up is recommended.
  • Bronzong is the the best counter to Swords Dance Randorosu, not being 2HKOed by any of its moves after a Swords Dance, while being able to 2HKO back with Gyro Ball.
  • A faster Pokemon such as Starmie can OHKO Randorosu with Ice Beam if it isn't carrying a Yache Berry.
[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Hammer Arm
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Set Comments

• Unique speed stat which allows him to outrun +1 Positive Base 100 Speed Pokemon.
  • Good coverage with Earthquake and Stone Edge, and has U-turn to be used as a scout, and if it needs to get out of awkward situations. Rock Slide may also be used if you don't want to rely on Stone Edge's shaky accuracy. Hammer Arm is there because Randorosu is more of a hit-and-run Pokemon, and likely won't be staying in for more then two turns. That and it has no other options for this slot.
  • Immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes make this an amazing scout.
  • Sand Power boosts the power of Earthquake and Stone Edge, and when coupled with a Choice Scarf, you have one lethal high speed genie on your hands.
Additional Comments

• Outspeeding Jolly Salamence after a Dragon Dance is a great plus. Other than that, nothing.
Teammates & Counters

• Tyranitar again to activate Sand Power.
  • Magnezone to trap Skarmory and Bronzong.
  • Most defensive walls stop this set, including Skarmory, Bronzong and Hippowdon.
[Team Options]

• Tyranitar is easily the best teammate for Randorosu. He sets up Sandstorm which boosts Randorosu's Ground- and Rock- type moves to very high levels. A mixed Tyranitar with Fire Blast is even better to be more specific, as it severly damages Skarmory and Bronzong, the two best checks to Randorosu.
  • Bulky Water type Pokemon that resist Water- and Ice- typed moves are also good teammates for Randorosu. The main culprit for this is Vaporeon, who can pass Wish support to Randorosu whose likely taken Substitute damage, as well as anything else should it have switched in.
[Optional Changes]

• Rock Polish is a good alternative to Swords Dance. Sand Power boosts Earthquake and Stone Edge, and with an Adamant nature, Randorosu gains a good attack boost even without Swords Dance. Rock Polish can easily be a game a decider if your oppenent is only prepared for Swords Dance versions, and their primary check for it is something such as Life Orb Starmie, who can not switch in to Randorosu, but can only revenge kill it with Ice Beam.
  • Mixed and special sets are completely outclassed by the Swords Dance set. The Swords Dance set OHKOes Swampert with Earthquake anyway after a single Swords Dance, so Grass Knot isn't needed.
  • Choice Band is also an option. Sand Power + Choice Band means that Randorosu is already hitting like a truck whenever it switches in.
  • Explosion seems like a good idea with Swords Dance, but it got nerfed in Black and White so that the oppenents Defense doesn't halve when you use it, making it a less desireable option.
[Counters]

• Skarmory and Bronzong are your best bets, however Skarmory is always 2HKOed by a +2 Stone Edge in sand after Stealth Rock, and all it can do is Whirlwind Randorosu away. Seeing as Randorosu is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, this doesn't really phase him. Bronzong is only 3HKOed by Randorosu after a Swords Dance, even if it uses Brick Break. For this reason, it is advised you carry enough Attack EVs and a -Speed nature to boost up Gyro Ball's power enough so that you may 2HKO Randorosu.
  • The most likely way you'll defeat Randorosu is by sending in something faster with an Ice- or Water- type move and hope it doesn't carry a Yache or Passho berry. If it does, then use the methods of old and let your Pokemon die, before bringing in something faster such as Garchomp and KOing with a Dragon- typed move respectively, or a Pokemon with a good priority move such as Scizor and KOing with Bullet Punch.
[Dream World]

• For its Dream World ability, Randorosu gets the pretty good Encourage. However, when compared to Sand Power, Encourage is not a good option as Randorosu relies on Sand Power to boost his amazing coverage and good Attack to higher levels. Not only that, but none of Randorosu's frequently used moves benefit from Encourage, therefore making it a fairly useless ability.

You should mention very set specific team options and counters in the sets as well. Check my Doryuuzu writeup to see what I mean. You should also present the Overview in bullet points as well so as to remove the issue of prose from the equation. That'll also help you concise it a bit. Other than that, this looks great and will be done once you fix those issues!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Swords Dance set should have Rock Polish as an option. Much like Terakion, I love having the capability to use either / or since Randorosu doesn't always need to be an efficient wall-breaker. Hell, Rock Polish is scary just because of Sand Power alone.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
ive used this bastard a lot recently on PO and ive found that uturn is incredibly useful as the fourth move in the SD set. the main reason being is rando often comes in on things it walls hard like lucario or other ground weak things so your opponent is going to be switching out a lot. uturn just relieves yourself of the stress of predicting incorrectly and is very useful early-mid game

Added in the infomation about U-turn on the SD set.

And I've put in some more infomation about Rock Polish in Optional Changes.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm kind of confused as to why you'd use Knock Down over Brick Break in the 4th slot. Seems like BB is pretty much only for Bronzong and KD accomplishes the same thing.

Only other thing is mentioning Rock Slide / other accurate move in the Scarf set because I could so see myself missing against DDMence and then slowly crying myself to sleep..

awesome job otherwise ! :D :D

I got a PM from someone explaining why they thought Knock Down was a viable move on the SD set, and it looked good so I gave it a small paragraph.

And added a small bit on Rock Slide.

Adamant is best for the scarf set as I found that it really lacks the power without sand up.With sand and 380 attack and scarf its a way more threatening .Also hammer arm should be replaced by brick break.When cleaning up late game (where it does best) speed becomes alot more important than a few base power points.Also brick break's side effect is nifty too. With a plus nature it cancels out anyway.

I think, even though it had HORRID coverage, that encourage should at least be tried as it gives a monster Special attack stat.

Randorosu @ Life Orb
Timid/Modest
Encourage
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
- Earth Power
- Pyschic / Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- HP Ice / HP Dark / Sludge Wave

I doubt it as I'm quite shit at making up sets but if you have no sandstorm support it seems like it should be powerful. HP Ice is for Dragons and Gliscor and Randorosu. Dark for gengar, Shandera and Ghosts or Psychics. HP Rock could be used to also hit Gyarados. Trying to avoid that recoil as much as possible!

U-Turn should get the main option on the first set.

Also, just theorymonning this, but wouldn't couldn't this set run an efficient double dance set? What I would just do is make the slashes for the 4th moveslot on the First set U-Turn / Rock Polish and maybe Brick Break but i would think that should be in AC along with Sub

minor nitpick but with the swords dance set, you can run 8 hp/Def instead of 4, and run 248 speed EV's to allow you to outrun max speed base 100's

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hmm, I'm really struggling to see any situation in which Substitute is better than U-turn, Brick Break or Rock Polish, it should probably be removed on the SD set.

Also Rock Polish is really scary with sandstorm support we should have a RP set up there.

Naive Nature, 252Atk / 252 spe / 4 Defense

Rock Polish
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Hidden Power Ice

substitute is the most set on PO for a reason, it works, it gives it the opportunity to absorb status thrown at it, and more importantly Leech seed from Nattorie, also it alows you to deal with faster pokemon such as lati@s, Starmie and many more

I think HP Ice + Naive should be at least mentioned or slashed somewhere, as it allows Landlos to take out Gliscor, who walls most variants, and mention Doryuuzu as a partner on a SS team.

I think, even though it had HORRID coverage, that encourage should at least be tried as it gives a monster Special attack stat.

Randorosu @ Life Orb
Timid/Modest
Encourage
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
- Earth Power
- Pyschic / Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- HP Ice / HP Dark / Sludge Wave

I doubt it as I'm quite shit at making up sets but if you have no sandstorm support it seems like it should be powerful. HP Ice is for Dragons and Gliscor and Randorosu. Dark for gengar, Shandera and Ghosts or Psychics. HP Rock could be used to also hit Gyarados. Trying to avoid that recoil as much as possible!

Replace HP Ice for Slime Wave and that would be my Encourage Randorosu set. There is nothing gimmicky about a special based Encourage Randorosu. Honestly, unless you are running a Sand Power set in a Sand Stream team, the special Encourage set is much more powerful. I only wish Encourage on Randorosu was legal outside of DW.

Randorosu (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Encourage
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Slime Wave

I know Nidoking can pull off this Encourage set somewhat, if not exactly the same. Nidoking however, is no where near as powerful as Randorosu is.

Timid, max speed gives Randorosu a speed of 331. With a special attack of 329. Each move gets a 33% boost from Encourage and another 30% boost from Life orb. Thanks to Encourage, Randorosu takes no recoil damage from Life Orb.

Earth Power: BP = 90. After Encourage: 119.7
Focus Blast: BP = 120. After Encourage: 159.6
Slime wave: BP = 95. After Encourage: 126.35
Pschic: BP = 90. After Encourage: 119.7

• For its Dream World ability, Randorosu gets the pretty good Encourage. However, when compared to Sand Power, Encourage is not a good option as Randorosu relies on Sand Power to boost his amazing coverage and good Attack to higher levels. Not only that, but none of Randorosu's frequently used moves benefit from Encourage, therefore making it a fairly useless ability.
The first time I used Randorosu I never even thought about using him as a special sweeper. I never thought about it until my team was serious devastated by one.

Seconding the set Pana mentioned, I was gonna say that one myself. That thing is ridiculously good, and it nets so many kills on Gliscor. Only Skarmory really stops that thing from sweeping a good portion of the metagame, and maybe a 100% Hippowdon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)