Rank the trainer battle music across the generations

Which is the best trainer battle music?

• Total voters

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1>3>4>2>5
Listening to the battle music Gen 1 was definately the best. Gen 3 is nostalgia for me, as it was actually the first series I played. I seriously don't get why everyone likes Gen V's music. It's probably one of the worst, imo.

If you're talking about overall game soundtrack, cities, battles, everything included, I think DPP was really good. Especially liked the bike theme tune in DPP. It annoyed me in other games when I got on my bike and I ruined a perfectly good tune for a city or town or something.

2>1>5>3>4

RBY and GSC are so close, but I love the nostalgia of Crystal. DPPt just sucked. Plain old terrible music. 5 was nice with the different effects in different scenarios. 3 was meh.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1, 4, 5, 2, 3.

1st Gen theme has held up amazingly well over time. Even without the nostalgia it's still pretty awesome given what they had to work with. I actually liked DPPs music the most after that, ts a bit repetitive in some places but its got a good vibe. I don't get the hype with Gen 5, too much buildup. Gen 2 gets a bit of a pass for trying to reinvent the wheel in the 8 bit era, but Gen 3 has no excuse for its general awfulness.

Ask my about Rival themes though and GSC (and especially HGSS) get high marks.

For the regular trainer battle themes, 2 > 5 > 1 > 3 > 4
As much as I like Sinnoh, it has probably the weakest overall music in the series; there's nothing really "catchy" for the battle themes. And despite having an awesome soundtrack, I'm surprised the main battle themes of Hoenn are so weak in comparison. Kanto and Johto have the overall nostalgia factor in their favor, but both are still really good overall. Johto's theme seemed more epic, though I guess I would put Kanto's above it if we counted the Gen 2 version. As for Unova... give it some time, and it's probably gonna end up blowing Johto and Kanto out of the water with its high energy and catchiness.

For Rival themes, 2 > 5 > 3 > 4 > 1.
Again, Johto's rival theme has the nostalgia factor going for it, and it's recognizable as the theme of an ambitious but misguided jackass. I also love Unova's rival theme because you can recognize it as the approach of your goofy friends coming over to play for about 5 minutes. It reminds me of a Mario & Luigi battle theme, too. May and Brendan are the worst rivals the series has ever offered hands down, so why does their battle theme sound so epic? Barry's theme sounds too much like the Trainer battle song from Hoenn, and the "typical" battle songs did not do it for me in Hoenn. Kanto is at the bottom because... Gary doesn't have his own battle theme. No, the song that plays at the League when you fight him doesn't count as a Rival theme, that's a Champion song.

Speaking of which, Champion songs, why not? 3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 5
Now THIS is what I'm talking about for Hoenn's music being awesome. I dunno, I tend to like songs in this series where things get... chaotic. (*cough*OriginGiratina*cough*) And Steven's theme is pretty demented (though I could easily picture him being a disturbed villain, anyway). Cynthia's theme certainly fits the struggles you had to cross to get there and wraps it up nicely. (She's my favorite Champion, anyway) Gary's Champion theme is also a bit on the crazy side, though not as prone to mood swings as Steven's, and it definitely makes Gary seem a thousand times more sinister than he appears (I DID NOT KILL YOUR F***ING RATICATE! YOU TRADED IT FOR YOUR EXEGGCUTE! STOP LYING TO US!). The Johto Champion theme is energetic and makes you feel pumped, but it got knocked down for partly being a remix of the original intro music. Alder's champion theme... sucks. It's like they took Cyrus's battle theme from Diamond and Pearl and drained it of the intensity not only fitting a dangerous foe but an epic battle.

'.' ...I should stop before I go too deep into it.

For me it's 1>5=3>2>4. Gen 1 is good in its own right without even the blind nostalgia to help it, 5 is pretty decent and 3 is too, they both grew on me after a while. Originally I had 2 ranked higher but then I realized that I had nostalgia'd a bit too hard there (at least with the trainer battle music, Gen 2 had some other legendary music like the Kanto gym leaders' theme or the roaming trio's theme, or the rival's theme, or the National Park theme, ...yeah. As for Gen 4 I never liked it too much honestly, but I remember that the Galactic themes are pretty good along with Cynthia.

The first is far better than the fifth. Better sounds, better construction...the fifth tries to do the most since, but the attempts mostly involve poppy sounds and it is not a good effect. The third and fourth are just disgusting.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
since there's basically no real interaction itt between posters or anything and we've had four pages of the same thing mostly, i'm locking this because it really could go on forever

thumbs up for nostalgia though

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
or you could moderate the thread and say something like "there's basically no real interaction itt between posters or anything and we've had four pages of the same thing mostly so don't post unless you have something fresh to add" and the thread would run its course naturally like 99% of other threads

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
or you could moderate the thread and say something like "there's basically no real interaction itt between posters or anything and we've had four pages of the same thing mostly so don't post unless you have something fresh to add" and the thread would run its course naturally like 99% of other threads
What? Wait never mind I'm dumb and didn't understand. What do you mean by run it's course? Fall off the front page because nobody posts in it because there's really nothing to talk about? How is that a better alternative to locking?
I agree with az, this thread is just everybody spewing their opinion with nobody even reading any of the other posts.
Which is really ironic actually, because I haven't read any of the other posts and this could be seen as an opinion
Is that irony? Maybe.

can you plz add in the trainer battle music for my pokemon emerald rom hack pokemon eternal light thankyou

The trainers in the Battle Subway say the weirdest shit hands down. A Biker says something like "My partner turned to dust, but now his Pokemon are mine" and a roughneck says something about being dumb and mean.

Edit: Haha Focus that is pretty weird, but the thing that I think is even weirder about the Battle Subway is that the trainers aren't even locked to using a set of words that would have got boring after awhile if they didn't use them creatively - Nintendo could have made them say anything else!

Also here's my rankings.

1>5>2>4>3

I really don't like anything about Gen 3. Using Skarmory in game and using Spikes on the Elite 4 was kinda cool, though.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
The trainers in the Battle Subway say the weirdest shit hands down. A Biker says something like "My partner turned to dust, but now his Pokemon are mine" and a roughneck says something about being dumb and mean.
I don't know. It is hard to top "I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF"... Anyway, my favorites in order are: 3>1>2>4>5. Yes, this is mostly nostalgia talking. For some reason, the trainer battle music seems to be among the worst music in each game, in my opinion.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
The social, religious, and moral implications that generation three's battle music contains makes it paramount in comparison to the rest.

5 because it is epic, 3 because of countless hours of listening to it while ev training,4 because, again I played it a lot (had all 3 in that gen but peral broke), 1 because of it's originality (hmm I wonder why that is? Lol), 2 because I like all the others better ;D

Hey, how could anyone forget mirror b's xd theme?!? It's awesome. really wish I was on a computer so I could link it :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)