Rapidash [2/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
(This is my first analysis, laugh if you wish)

QC: Magnemite / Montsegur /
GC: /

Skeleton.

Overview
########
+ One of the only PU Physical Sweeping Fire Types. It has more speed than Heatmor and Flareon, and more Attack than Heatmor, and Simisear, as well as Ninetales.
+ Solid Agile Wallbreaker.
+ Great Speed (What really sets it apart from other Fire Types) and Good Attack.
+ A useful ability in Flash Fire.
+ Faster than its bulkier and harder-hitting rival, Flareon.
+ Able to damage Water Types with Wild Charge.
+ Outstanding Type Coverage.
- Weakness to Stealth Rock, as well as Recoil Moves, which means Rapidash will likely be knocked out quickly.
- Not very bulky, therefore easy to revenge kill.
- Not as much Physical Attack as Flareon.
- Not nearly as much bulk as other PU Fire Types such as Ninetales, and Flareon.
- Compared to Heatmor, Ninetales, and Simisear, it has very low Special Attack.
- Unlike Heatmor, Ninetales, and Simisear, it has to rely on recoil moves like Flare Blitz and Wild Charge to do damage.

Physical Attacker
########
Name: Physical Attacker
Move 1: Flare Blitz
Move 2: Wild Charge
Move 3: Low Kick
Move 4: Drill Run
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Choice Band / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is STAB that combines well with Flash Fire and gives off major damage.
Wild Charge can stop Water types, such as Pelipper.
Drill Run is good for Camerupt, as well as other Flash Fire users and Fire Types in general.
Low Kick is there for Rock Types, as well as bulky Pokemon like Lickilicky and Zweilous.
If Morning Sun is to be used, it should only be used with Life Orb, because Morning Sun isn't a move you want to be locked into.

Set Details
========

Jolly Nature allows it to outspeed Base 100 Max Speed Pokemon such as Dodrio, and Ninetales, as well as the base 101 Simipour.
Choice Band is there to give Rapidash the power it desperately needs, as its attack is good at best, and Choice Band Powers up an already monstrous Flare Blitz.
Life Orb does prevent the locking of moves, but it will take down Rapidash rather quickly due to its weakness to Stealth Rock, Recoil from Flare Blitz, and general frailty. Along with that, Choice Band provides more power for Rapidash.
Life Orb though isn't too bad, as Stacking of Recoil isn't too crucial considering Rapidash's frailty anyways and Life Orb gives you the option to switch moves.
Flame Plate can be used to bluff the Choice Band while not taking Life Orb Damage and still getting off a powerful Flare Blitz.

Usage Tips
========

Remove Pokemon that resist Fire before you want to try and sweep with Rapidash (especially things like Flash Fire users), so Rapidash can sweep without fear of immunities or resistances to Fire.
Rapidash's other coverage moves are best used earlier when predicting switch-ins that resist Fire, such as Pelipper, Golem, and Carracosta.
A super powerful Flare Blitz is something Rapidash is quite well known for, making it predictable and one may be in a tough position if one switches out into a check for Flare Blitz.
Send out Rapidash when predicting a Fire Type move for a Flash Fire Boost.
Rapidash is a very good switch in for Defensive Ghost types that run Will-O-Wisp, such as Gourgeist, and Misdreavus.
Rapidash is frail, and won't live many attacks, it's generally NOT a safe switch in to take Attacks.

Team Options
========

Defog is important to remove rocks, which Rapidash is weak to (really any hazard, but Rocks are a big one). Good Examples include Togetic, Swanna, Prinplup, and Pelipper.
Avalugg is a rather good teammate for Rapidash, because it can remove entry hazards without getting rid of their own entry hazards.
Entry hazards are advised to be set up so Rapidash can OHKO/2HKO Pokemon after them. Examples include Aurorus (only with Flare Blitz), Tangela, and Beheeyem.
Poliwrath works well with Rapidash since it can take a Physical Hit well, and it resists Rock and Water, which are 2 of Rapidash's weaknesses.
Grass Types such as Leafeon, and Serperior are solid teammates (especially Leafeon since it has a decent Attacking stat) because they help Rapidash with their resistance to Water, and Ground, as well as their super effective attacks on Water, Ground, and Rock.

Other Options
########

Megahorn brings a whopping Base 120 power, but doesn't have too much coverage outside of Psychic types, which can usually be taken down by a Flare Blitz.
Baton Pass can also work for keeping momentum.
The combination of Sunny Day and Solarbeam is also available because Rapidash has a better chance to KO Pokemon such as Golem, Barbaracle, and Carracosta with it.
One could use Choice Scarf on Rapidash to outspeed threats such as Sneasel, Tauros, and Purugy, but it isn't reccomended because its Attacks will not be very powerful if it does run Choice Scarf.
Will-O-Wisp is usable to help Rapidash take Physical Hits and/or cripple Physical Attackers.

Checks & Counters
########

**Rock Types** such as Carbink, Barbaracle, Golem, and Carracosta can live at least one hit of any move of Rapidash's, and can counter back with a super effective stab. Carracosta and Barbaracle are also able to set up on it with Shell Smash if Rapidash is locked into Flare Blitz.
**Defensive Pokemon** such as Wartortle, Stunfisk, and Hippopotas have the ability to ruin Rapidash's day by surviving an Attack from Rapidash, and then retaliating to KO Rapidash.
**Bulky Water Types** such as Eviolite Wartortle and Poliwrath can take at least one hit of anything of Rapidash's and retaliate with STAB super effective Water types
**Faster Pokemon** such as Tauros, Purugly, Serperior, Sneasel, Raichu and Floatzel have the ability to outspeed Rapidash, and either hit it with a Super Effective Move, STAB Move, or all of the above.
**Priority Moves**, specifically Aqua Jet, get to hit the frail Rapidash before it can respond, perhaps even resulting in a KO.
**Residual Damange** will poke into Rapidash quite quickly due to its weakness to Stealth Rock (trouble with any hazard really), and its constant use of Recoil Moves.

Last edited:
This should be in bullet points before you get 2 QC checks. I don't have much experience with rapidash but you should definitely move the 4 leftover EVs to defense or spdef to minimize SR damage. I would also mention competition with the stronger, slower flareon in the overview, rapidash's much higher speed and the fact that it isn't walled by pelipper are the biggest things it has over it. Also mention that it's majestic af

Thank you. I've decided to shorten my points, as they were a little too long. Along with that, I've took your valid points into consideration and changed the analysis based on them.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Wild Charge is one of Rapidash's most defining traits over other Fire-types, it should be the 2nd most important move on the set.

Drill Run can be slashed after Megahorn (since Flare Blitz can 2HKO Mush after SR), since Drill Run allows Rapidash to hit Fire-types such as Camerupt, as well as Flash Fire users such as Flareon, Heatmor, and itself.

Edit: LiepardHater Formatting for EVs is wrong: change "252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Defence" to "252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe".

some tips, i think;

In Usage tips, you should mention to switch it in when predicting a Fire-type move, so Flash Fire gets activated.

Also, i don't get the last point in the Team Options. What does it mean? Rapidash is frail, and won't live many attacks. Is that an explanation, or?

Also, yes, i use this in NU, but at least mention Baton Pass and Double-Edge in OO.

Last edited:
I did mention it.

In my point about it being frail, I meant to add "it shouldn't be switched into".

And finally, I added Baton Pass and Double-Edge.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Liepard, you cutie n_n

Overview
########
  • Mention that its rival Flareon, has better Attack and bulk.

Physical Attacker
########
Name: Physical Attacker
Move 1: Flare Blitz
Move 2: Wild Charge
Move 3: Low Kick
Move 4: Drill Run
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Choice Band / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly

• Need spaces for the things you've slashed^

Moves
========
  • Remove the spaces between each sentence.
  • Musharna was banned. Don't see any need for Megahorn
  • Probably want to give examples of what Wild Charge hits such as Poliwrath, Swanna and Pelipper

Set Details
========

• Remove the spaces between each sentence again.
  • Give examples of Pokemon it outspeeds or speed ties with at max Speed such as Simipour, Dodrio, Ninetales, Kadabra, Scyther...etc
  • 'Flash Fire is the best ability to run, as it runs Flare Blitz.' ?? Instead mention it gives Rapidash an immunity and boosts the power of Flare Blitz
  • Give reasons on why you would and wouldn't use Life Orb (Avoids locking Rapidash into one move but wears down Rapidash quickly)
  • Mention Choice Band locking into one move

Usage Tips
========

• Expand on this section quite a bit o_o

Team Options
========

• You love your spaces (remove them)
  • You haven't listed any Pokemon at all in this section, gives examples such as Roselia for entry hazards and Poliwrath which resists Water- and Ground-type attacks
  • Pokemon which have a good synergy with Rapidash
  • Entry hazards are appreciated as they lower Pokemon to the point where Rapidash can OHKO or 2HKO.
  • Remove the below points as they have nothing to do with Team Options. Probably Usage Tips if anything
'Rapidash is frail, and won't live many attacks, it's generally NOT a safe switch in.'
'Send out Rapidash when predicting a Fire Type move for a Flash Fire Boost.'

Other Options
########

• Spaces >:[
  • Why would you mention HP Grass for Whiscash? What about Carracosta and Barbaracle?

Checks & Counters
########
  • You don't need to separate each Pokemon one by one. They can be put into categories such as **Water-types**:

Sorry, only went through this quick. Had to go to sleep! Zzz

Thanks, Darnellini. The main reason I mentioned HP Grass for specifically Whiscash was due to the fact that it is immune to Electric, and Wild Charge can be used to take down Carracosta and Barbaracle (Likely not in one hit, but still. :P). Nonetheless, you have pretty decent advice and I've taken it into consideration.

-the overview really needs to mention what sets it apart from other fire types, mainly its higher speed, better coverage compared to flareon, etc. but also its weaknesses compared to them, mainly that it is much weaker and frailer. You mention these, but you do not really imply that they are downsides.

-mention that its reliance on recoil moves and lack of a boosting move makes it the less desirable choice than ninetales and simisear in many cases.

-remove usable special attack from the overview, the set doesn't have any special moves.

-move megahorn to oo, it doesn't hit anything that your other moves don't hit already

"Jolly Nature allows it to outspeed Base 100 Max Speed Pokemon such as Slaking, Fearow, and Slaking." Slaking is terrible and Fearow is mediocre, don't mention them. Also, Jolly isn't just for base 100s, it's to take advantage of Rapidash's good Speed tier, which includes the ability to outspeed Ninetales, Dodrio, Swanna, Simipour, and a few other important things.

-"Poliwrath works well with Rapidash since it resists Rock and Water (can even be immune to Water)." Poliwrath is never not immune to water

-hypno and Wigglytuff are terrible examples of wish users, the only relevant wish user outside of lickilicky is flareon which should be used with Rapidash for obvious reasons.

-remove everything from OO except for megahorn, morning sun, and baton pass. Whiscash isn't nearly relevant enough to warrant a whole moveslot dedicated to hitting it, costa and Barbaracle are weak to low kick, and all of the other moves don't hit anything.

-C&C could use some work. Carbink isn't relevant enough to deserve its own section, let alone the first one. I can't calc now but I would imagine that altaria is 2hkoed by cb flare blitz after sr. Floatzel can't switch in and isn't that relevant, replace it with a section on revenge killers, like carracosta, tauros, sneasel, purugly, and scarf users. Make a section for residual damage, as it hates hazards and relies on recoil moves.

-mention Defog users like swanna and pelipper in team options

Last edited:
Why is wish the first thing mentioned on a Pokemon that is clearly used on offensive teams that can't afford to lose momentum and is frail as hell and can't take hits from full health anyway?

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
- I don't get much useful information from this. You can merge points 1 and 3 as well, they basically say the same thing.
- The part about recoil moves can be merged with the point regarding its Stealth Rock weakness, adding how both reduce its already low longevity.
- Ditch the part about low accuracy moves, it's irrelevant and only applies to Drill Run.
- What is Rapidash's role? I mean it should be clear that it's a sweeper/cleaner (preferably late-game) and should not be played as a wallbreaker like Flareon.

Physical Attacker
########
- Space between slashes please.

Set Details
========
- Choice Band is because Rapidash needs all the power it can get with its good at best Atk.
- Don't forget that Rapidash is already pretty frail, so the stacking of recoil isn't TOO significant compared to the ability to switch moves.

Usage Tips
========
- I really didn't get too much out of your Usage Tips. Say that your priority is to remove any Fire resists, especially Flash Fire users. That makes it more prudent to use its coverage moves earlier in the battle to hit predicted checks and counters, and use Flare Blitz later on.
- Your points contradict themselves. Say that unless you switch in predicting a Fire-type move to activate Flash Fire, it is better to not switch Rapidash in at all as it is very frail.
- This makes Rapidash a decent switch-in against defensive Ghost-types as it is one of the few physical attackers that do not care about Will-o-Wisp.

Team Options
========
- I agree with galbia, there is no reason to mention Wish users for a Pokemon best on offensive teams (it's not too strong, so it isn't a great choice for balanced teams that have limited teamslots that you would rather fill with something with even more immediate power). Besides, you listed Lickitung instead of Lickilicky. Combined with the weird teammates you had before that Magnemite asked you to change, this is making me very hesitant to allow you to keep this analysis.
- Entry hazards allow Rapidash to KO what in particular? Name a NOTABLE KO that it attains or else remove this point.
- Rocks aren't the only hazard that heavily threaten Rapidash, all of them are very detrimental. Don't just make a shallow mention of Rocks when it isn't the only problem.
- After removing Wish users, the only teammates you have listed are Defog/Rapid Spin users, Poliwrath, and possibly entry hazards (though you may not keep them). You need more teammates, as these are very shallow choices. You don't even explain WHY Poliwrath is particularly good as a teammate.

Other Options
########
- Add in Sunny Day and Solar Beam. While even worse than it was last gen, it does give Rapidash a better chance to beat Carracosta and Golem. It's also about the only other set Rapdiash can really run.

Checks & Counters
########
- You should list more checks to Rapidash as well. Rock-types such as Carracosta and Carbink can live at least 1 hit and retaliate with their super-effective STABs. The two I mentioned can actually live 2 hits if they are physically defensive so they should be noted first, even if the latter isn't as common as it could be. Since so far everything listed is merely checks, Rock-types should definitely be the first point. BTW, if it counters a Pokemon, then it should be listed until QC has a chance to think it over.
- Bulky Grounds, notably Piloswine and Hippopotas, are decent checks to it as well; the former can live a hit and retaliate with EQ, the latter can actually live 2 hits if at full HP and do the same.
- Wartortle and Poliwrath are bulky Water-types who can tank a hit and retaliate as well.
- I'm hesitant to mention Dragon-types, since Altaria can live 1 Flare Blitz at best after Rocks, while Dragonair is rare and not too good or relevant. QC can chime in on that.

Please show me that you understand PU, or at least how to use Rapidash. Right now, I am unconvinced that you do.

Being a Rapidash player in the past, I would like to point out one small thing you ought to mention in the team options section. Volt Switch and U-Turn users allow for safe switch ins and provides Rapidash to OHKO a Pokemon that's already been damaged by the previous foe.

Besides, you listed Lickitung instead of Lickilicky.
If it wasn't glaringly obvious, that was an accident. But otherwise, you did a great job pointing out some flaws and I've taken what you stated into consideration.

Being a Rapidash player in the past, I would like to point out one small thing you ought to mention in the team options section. Volt Switch and U-Turn users allow for safe switch ins and provides Rapidash to OHKO a Pokemon that's already been damaged by the previous foe.
I've thought about this, and I don't think it's worth mentioning, since if it's a fast Pokemon it's the equivalent of withdrawing, and there aren't really any Slow Pokemon in PU where it would be practical to teach them Volt Switch/U-Turn.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
Mention that its low bulk makes it easy to revenge kill

Physical Attacker
########
Moves
========
Mention pelipper instead of swanna, as it is more likely to switch into rapidash
Say that drill run hits fire types (generally)
Mention that low kick also hits pokemon like lickilicky and zweilous
Mention Mourning Sun here (no slash), but make mention it should only be used w/ life orb

Usage Tips
========
Remove the first line, doesnt really say much about using it

Team Options
========
Examples of spinners
Give a better example of an example where hazards score a ko/2hko; tauros will outspeed and OHKO
Instead of mentioning wrath and wartortle, mention water types, such as wartortle and wrath, resist water. Also mention the waters beat ground and rock types
Mention grass types that beat water, rock and grounds
Remove the bit about healing wish, as it is very rare in this meta

Other Options
########
Remove mourning sun, as it is mentioned in moves
Mention choice scarf

Checks & Counters
########
**Rock Types** No need to mention solarbeam, as it isnt listed in the set. Mention that costa can use it as set up fodder

**Bulky Ground Types** such as Piloswine, Hippopotas, and even Marowak can take hits from Rapidash quite well, and retaliate with a Powerful STAB move like Earthquake.

**Bulky Water Types** such as Eviolite Wartortle and Poliwrath can take at least one hit of anything of Rapidash's and retaliate with STAB super effective Water types

**Revenge Killers** Call this **faster pokemon**. Remove mentions of priority

MAke a seperate part called **priority** which should include aqua jets, etc

**Residual Damange** Reword this as it doesnt make sense...

Druddigon

a few things:

-Dusclops and Defensive Dusknoir are bad and irrelevant, Misdreavus is a much better and more relevant ghost-type that should be mentioned instead of them

-Simipour is base 101, not 100, it doesn't really matter but you made it sound like it was base 100

-Rapidash does not have a poor movepool at all, remove this from the overview

-Mention its huge competition with other fires such as ninetales, flareon, and heatmor in the overview

-Politoed is 2HKOed by Flare Blitz after SR and is very uncommon, mention stuff like golem, carracosta, etc as other things you want to hit with coverage moves on the switch

-252 Atk Choice Band Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Marowak: 225-265 (86.2 - 101.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock- remove this from c&c

-similarly, piloswine is 2hkoed by low kick and flare blitz after sr, so at least mention it as more of a check

-you can keep healing wish if you really want, but at the very least remove lopunny as it is RU

-i'd remove wartortle from team options, it really doesn't fit on the same types of teams that rapidash does

Remove the first line, doesnt really say much about using it
I feel as if I worded it a little better and put more detail into it.

**Residual Damange** Reword this as it doesnt make sense...
Honestly, I don't see an issue with how it's worded.

Otherwise, you've given me rock-solid suggestions and I've applied most of them.

On another note, I decided to merge Defog and Rapid Spin users in "Team Options", because other than Wartortle, there are very few/no good Rapid Spinners that work well with Rapidash in PU.

There should be a few more pokemon listed in the "faster pokemon" section of c&c. sneasel, raichu, and serperior (specifically LO SD serperior which OHKOes you with aqua tail with a bit of prior damage) are pretty important pokemon that should probably be mentioned.

spdef tangela isn't really a thing, but physically defensive isn't much of a thing either so just change it to say either offensive tangela or standard tangela. also this is nitpicky but all beheeyem sets and most aurorus sets use those spreads, so you don't need to mention the sets. (the ones you mentioned aren't the best / most common ones anyway)

252 Atk Choice Band Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippopotas: 207-244 (60.8 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock- i forgot about this earlier, but i would just remove the ground types section of c&c and replace it with a section for bulky pokemon that can live any one hit and ko back, as there are plenty of them.

mention its great coverage in the overview, this is one of its biggest niches

also implement
-Rapidash does not have a poor movepool at all, remove this from the overview

-Mention its huge competition with other fires such as ninetales, flareon, and heatmor in the overview

once you implement all of this, tag me and i'll stamp :o

you need to mention why other fire types are better than rapidash as negatives rather than just what it as over them. rapidash isn't the most common fire type ever, so you could do with mentioning why other fires are better.

i forgot about this earlier but aurorus is straight up ohkoed by low kick, so remove that as something you need hazards for, or specify that this is with Flare Blitz specifically.

also, like anty said above, rapidash isn't really a late game sweeper but a fast wallbreaker, so make this change in the overview.

do these things and consider yourself qc 1/3

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Physical Attacker
########
Set Details
========
Mention that jolly also allows it to tie with other base 105's like scyther

Team Options
========
Mention avalugg (as a spinner) with defogers

Other Options
########
Will-o-wisp deserves a mention

Checks & Counters
########

**Rock Types** Mention that baracle and costa can set up if it is locked into flare blitz
**Pokemon Capable of Living any hit and KOing back** Call this **Defensive pokemon**. Change bouffalant and replace with other walls

Druddigon

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Everyone above covered a ton of stuff o.o

Looks like you updated it with Anty's changes and just didn't reply saying you had updated, make sure to do that in the future as it will allow QC to know when to check back.

Add in Flame Plate in Set Details as the ability to bluff a CB is pretty cool and you don't take as much recoil damage with Life Orb while still having a super powerful Flare Blitz.

2/3 Druddigon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)