Rapidash (Analysis)

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rapidash

QC Checks: Omicron, tennisace, Zebraiken
GP Checks: Steven Snype, NixHex (added to and stamped evire's check)

[Overview]

<p>In the NU tier, Rapidash has one major advantage; its high Speed stat is unmatched among available Fire-types. It also has a solid Attack stat to work with, though it still doesn't hit nearly as hard as its main competition, Emboar. Rapidash also has a shallow movepool, struggles to break bulky Rock-types, and is quite frail. All things considered, Rapidash is a solid, but not outstanding, choice for a Fire-type attacker on an NU team.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Wild Charge
move 3: Low Kick
move 4: Morning Sun / Megahorn
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a simple set that hits hard, which is exactly what Rapidash is good at. Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB move, dealing solid damage to opponents that fail to resist it. Wild Charge gains coverage on most Water-types, and Low Kick hits Regirock for super effective damage. The last move depends on what Rapidash is being used for. Morning Sun is a good option if using a Life Orb, healing off recoil damage while the opponent switches to something that checks Rapidash. On the other hand, Megahorn deals more damage to Psychic-types such as Mesprit and Gardevoir, which makes it a solid alternative and also the best move if Rapidash holds a Choice Band.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Return is another attacking option for Rapidash to consider, hitting Altaria and other Rapidash harder than its other moves. Rapidash should have teammates that can handle Rock-types, Fire-types, and Altaria because Rapidash has trouble dealing with them. Torterra is a fantastic choice as it is one of the best switch-ins to Regirock. Regirock itself also works well, handling most Fire-types and Altaria variants well. Quagsire can switch into Fire-types that lack Hidden Power Grass. Rapid Spin support from Wartortle and Cryogonal is also very useful, especially on sets lacking Morning Sun. Finally, Rapidash is a good choice on a Sunny Day team, pairing well alongside other attackers such as Victreebel.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hidden Power Grass is viable, considering Rapidash's decent Special Attack stat. Its main use would be to hit Quagsire, which is otherwise a major thorn in Rapidash's side. Toxic wears down Regirock and Quagsire, two common switch-ins to Rapidash. Hypnosis can put a check to sleep, but its terrible accuracy makes it quite unreliable.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Altaria is one of Rapidash's best checks, as it resists every move commonly used except for Wild Charge and Return. Regirock also works nicely due to its amazing Defense; however, it fears a predicted Low Kick and the rare Toxic. Quagsire resists Flare Blitz, has an immunity to Wild Charge, and takes little damage from Low Kick thanks to its low weight. Pokemon that outspeed Rapidash, such as Swellow and Choice Scarfed Pokemon, are able to revenge kill Rapidash quite easily.</p>

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Rapidash has decent special attack, maybe Hidden Power Grass can be used on the set to hit Rhydon, Golem and Quagsire harder, it could be interesting to see how much it does to rhydon/golem (probably 2HKO on the switch) and to physhically deffensive quagsire. Quick Attack deserves a mention too.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
A mixed set with HP Grass is definitely viable.

Megahorn is really useful for hitting the likes of Slowking (and other things like Mesprit).

Explain why it's better than Emboar, who has STAB on a move to hit Rock and Steel types with, is stronger, has a neutrality to SR, and has more HP.

Explain why it's better than Emboar, who has STAB on a move to hit Rock and Steel types with, is stronger, has a neutrality to SR, and has more HP.
Read the Overview lol

QC APPROVED (1/3)

make sure to mention a mixed set with HP Grass like Zeb said

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
Flash Fire is another huge advantage that Rapidash has, being able to switch into powerful fire attacks like Magmortars Fire Blast and Choice Band Emboars Flare Blitz is amazing on top of boosting your flare blitz.

Baton Pass in OO? It can Pass out Flame Charges, but probably doesn't need its own set. (Note that BP is incompatible with its Egg Moves, so no Low Kick)

Definitely vouching for Mixed with HP Grass. Completely demolishes the unsuspecting SWAGsire and Rhydon.

In OO, mention that Megahorn hits Slowking harder, that's the only notable mon it hits for more

canno

formerly The Reptile
Definitely put up a mix set with HP Grass, since most of what you want to hit with HP Grass is 4x weak to it anyways (Ground/Rocks, which is most of the Rock-types in the tier and Quagy) and Rapidash has a usable base 80 SpA.

Diana

I'll put HP Grass in OO for now, but I'm definitely open to making a mixed set if QC wants it.

Megahorn really hits all Psychic-types a bit harder, not just Slowking.

Baton Pass I'll hold off on at the moment, as I'm really not sure having only Agility is enough to make it worthwhile.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
If Rhydon is leaving, mixed with HP Grass is kind of pointless since that's one of the only things it really hits. For now though I definitely think mixed is worth a shot.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Megahorn definitely needs to the 4th move option, especially over Return which you would never even use. Recoil on an SR weak mon is pretty lame, and Megahorn wrecks Slowking and Mesprit without resorting to Wild Charge/Flare Blitz. They are currently the #1 and #3 most used pokemon in the tier so this is a pretty big deal. Obviously you would be Flare Blitzing everything when you get in but Megahorn is certainly more useful than Return (which should still be in the comments though). The rest of this looks pretty good.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have you considered Baton Pass as a potential slash for Choice Band? You can use it to Dry Pass and keep momentum on your side.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Agreeing with Megahorn > Return, coverage on Psychics is cooler than neutral on Altaria. Dry Pass should be in AC (why doesn't Rapidash get U-turn its fast as funck).

Diana

Before I update this, asking for clarification: Should Morning Sun still be slashed in the 4th slot with Megahorn or should it be in AC too?

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What about Baton Pass + Substitute? Rapidash can force out Fire types and clerics like Roselia with ease, letting it set up a Substitute and passing it to a teammate for whatever reason?

Diana

All right, will do that.

Also taking up two slots for Substitute and Baton Pass seems a bit much, considering Rapidash already has trouble covering what it needs to with three moves...

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
i know you already have hypnosis mentioned in OC, but i would stress that it really isnt a terrible option even though its accuracy sucks pretty badly

at least make a point that it's pretty much the only thing that separates rapidash from other extremely generic fire-types

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i know you already have hypnosis mentioned in OC, but i would stress that it really isnt a terrible option even though its accuracy sucks pretty badly

at least make a point that it's pretty much the only thing that separates rapidash from other extremely generic fire-types
Rapidash already is the fastest Fire-type in NU as well as being the second-best physically gifted behind Emboar (Flareon has higher base Attack but uh Fire Fang sucks). I'd rather use the listed moves than Hypnosis, so OO is where it should be I think.

QC APPROVED 3/3

Diana

All right, this is now written, and I took out mentions of Pokemon that moved up to RU and in a few cases tried to put in a substitute that works.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
done

add/replace with
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>In the Neverused tier, Rapidash has one major advantage; its high Speed stat is unmatched among available Fire-types. It also has a solid Attack stat to work with, but it still doesn't hit nearly has hard as its main competition, Emboar. Rapidash also has a shallow movepool, struggles to break bulky Rock-types, and is frail. All things considered, Rapidash is a solid, but not outstanding, choice for a Fire-type attacker on a Neverused team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a simple set that hits hard, which is exactly what Rapidash is good at. Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB move, dealing solid damage to opponents that fail to resist it. Wild Charge gains coverage on most Water-types, and Low Kick hits Regirock for super effective damage. The last move depends on what Rapidash is being used for. Morning Sun is a good option if using a Life Orb, healing off recoil damage while the opponent switches to something that checks Rapidash. as Rapidash causes quite a few switches, allowing it to find opportunities to heal off the large amounts of recoil damage it typically takes. Megahorn deals more damage to Psychic-types, such as Mesprit and Gardevoir, making it a solid alternative and also the best move to use if Rapidash holds a Choice Band., as it deals more damage to Psychic-types such as Mesprit and Gardevoir.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Return is another attacking option for Rapidash to consider, hitting Altaria and other Rapidash harder than its other moves. Rapidash should have teammates that can handle Rock-types, Fire-types, and Altariabecause Rapidash has trouble dealing with them. Torterra is a fantastic choice as one of the best switch-ins to Regirock. Regirock itself also works well, handling most Fire-types and Altaria variants nicely. Quagsire can switch into Fire-types that lack Hidden Power Grass. as well. Rapid Spin support from Wartortle and Cryogonal is also very useful, especially on sets lacking Morning Sun. Wartortle and Cryogonal are both good options. Finally, Rapidash is a good choice on a Sunny Day team, pairing well alongside other attackers such as Victreebel.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hidden Power Grass is viable, considering Rapidash's decent Special Attack stat, and hits Quagsire, which is otherwise a major thorn in Rapidash's side. Toxic wears down Regirock and Quagsire, two common switch-ins to Rapidash. Hypnosis can put a check to sleep, but its terrible accuracy makes it quite unreliable.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Altaria is one of Rapidash's best checks, as it resists every move commonly used except for Wild Charge and Return. Regirock also works nicely with its amazing Defense, though it fears a predicted Low Kick and the rare Toxic. Lanturn and Quagsire both resist Flare Blitz, have an immunity to Wild Charge, and take little damage from Low Kick thanks to their low weight. Pokemon that outspeed Rapidash, such as Swellow and Choice Scarfed Pokemon, revenge kill Rapidash easily.Another way to handle Rapidash is by revenge-killing; both faster Pokemon such as Swellow and the multitude of Choice Scarf users in the tier work well for that purpose.</p>

GP 1/2

Stamp me :D
Add
Remove
Comments

[Overview]

<p>In the Neverused NU tier, Rapidash has one major advantage; its high Speed stat is unmatched among available Fire-types. It also has a solid Attack stat to work with, though it still doesn't hit nearly has hard as its main competition, Emboar. Rapidash also has a shallow movepool, struggles to break bulky Rock-types, and is quite frail. All things considered, Rapidash is a solid, but not outstanding, choice for a Fire-type attacker on an Neverused NU team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a simple set that hits hard, which is exactly what Rapidash is good at. Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB move, dealing solid damage to opponents that fail to resist it. Wild Charge gains coverage on most Water-types, and Low Kick is hits Regirock for super effective damage. The last move depends on what Rapidash is being used for. Morning Sun is a good option if using a Life Orb, healing off recoil damage while the opponent switches to something that checks Rapidash. Megahorn deals more damage to Psychic-types, such as Mesprit and Gardevoir, making it a solid alternative and also the best move if Rapidash holds a Choice Band.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Return is another attacking option for Rapidash to consider, hitting Altaria and other Rapidash harder than its other moves. Rapidash should have teammates that can handle Rock-types, Fire-types, and Altaria because Rapidash has trouble dealing with them. Torterra is a fantastic choice as it is one of the best switch-ins to Regirock. Regirock itself also works well, handling most Fire-types as and Altaria variants nicely well. Quagsire can switch into Fire-types that lack Hidden Power Grass. Rapid Spin support from Wartortle and Cryogonal is also very useful, especially on sets lacking Morning Sun. Finally, Rapidash is a good choice on a Sunny Day team, pairing well alongside other attackers such as Victreebel.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hidden Power Grass is viable, considering Rapidash's decent Special Attack stat. Its main use would be to hit Quagsire, which is otherwise a major thorn in Rapidash's side. Toxic wears down Regirock and Quagsire, two common switch-ins to Rapidash. Hypnosis can put a check to sleep, but its terrible accuracy makes it quite unreliable.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Altaria is one of Rapidash's best checks, as it resists every move commonly used except for Wild Charge and Return. Regirock also works nicely with due to its amazing Defense, though however it fears a predicted Low Kick and the rare Toxic. Lanturn and Quagsire both resist Flare Blitz, and have an immunity to Wild Charge, and take little damage from Low Kick thanks to their low weight. Pokemon that outspeed Rapidash, such as Swellow and Choice Scarfed Pokemon, are able to revenge kill Rapidash quite easily.</p>

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Morning Sun is a good option if using a Life Orb, healing off recoil damage while the opponent switches to something that checks Rapidash. While On the other hand, Megahorn deals more damage to Psychic-types, such as Mesprit and Gardevoir, making which makes it a solid alternative and also the best move if Rapidash holds a Choice Band.
Regirock also works nicely with due to its amazing Defense,;(semicolon) though however,(comma) it fears a predicted Low Kick and the rare Toxic.
Pretty good check, but Tobes and I discussed this on IRC and I made a few changes of my own. Consider it stamped.

[GP 2/2]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)