Rapidash (QC 1/3)

Dark Horse Rapidash

Overview
########

• Boasts a good Attack stat and great Speed.
  • Finds good coverage in moves such as Wild Charge.
  • Great ability in Flash Fire that grants it an immunity and boosts up its STAB attacks even further
  • Poor longevity because most of its attacks leave recoil damage, and also weak to Stealth Rock.
  • Faces competition from Flareon, that hits way harder and has better bulk on the overal.

Physical Attacker
########
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Wild Charge
move 3: Drill Run / Low Kick
move 4: Baton Pass / Morning Sun
ability: Flash Fire
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

• Flare Blitz is its main STAB move and with high base power actually puts the hurt on anything that doesn't resist it, but has recoil.
  • Wild Charge is great coverage and allows Rapidash to take out most Water-types with ease, but suffers a bit from the recoil after.
  • Drill Run has on the overall great coverage and hits several targets. (Dragalge, Lanturn, and Pyroar too, but Pyroar is effectively hit by Low Kick as well)
  • Low Kick hits heavy Rock-type Pokemon in the tier a bit more efficiently than Drill Run does, such as Golem and Rhydon.
  • Baton Pass is great to switch out when predicting Pokemon like bulky Water-types.
  • Morning Sun is great when a Life Orb is used, this way Rapidash can up its longevity by recovering up to 67% of its maximum health.

Set Details
========

• Flash Fire adds an immunity to Rapidash's own typing, boosting up Flare Blitz even further.
  • Life Orb doesn't lock Rapidash into one move only, but provides a less power boost than Choice Band does, and also leaves recoil on Rapidash, that heaps up quickly alongside Flare Blitz and Wild Charge.
  • Choice Band locks you in only one move, but is good to deal extra damage and draw out Rapidash's full potential.
  • Max Speed EVs and a Jolly nature allows Rapidash to outrun or speedtie more threats in the tier, such as Mismagius, Typhlosion and Jynx.

Usage Tips
========

• Switching Rapidash into Fire-types that don't threaten it is great, because it boosts up Flare Blitz, its main STAB move.
  • Sent Rapidash in when an teammate has just been killed, as it can revengekill it with one of its coverage moves.
  • Use Baton Pass when predicting a bulky Pokemon that can take any of Rapidash's hits with ease, such as Seismitoad and Hariyama.

Team Options
========

• Pokemon that can remove entry hazards are appreciated, such as Cryogonal, Kabutops, Swanna and Sandslash, as Rapidash doesn't like Stealth Rock damage on the switch-in.
  • Pokemon that can set up entry hazards are good for Rapidash too, such as Garbodor or Crustle; they allow Rapidash to gain a KO easier this way.
  • Pokemon that can take care of bulky Rock-types in the tier, such as Seismitoad, works out great; after bulky Rock-types are defeated, Rapidash can clean up.
  • Slow Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-turn, such as Probopass, is good too, because they grant Rapidash a safe switch and the opportunity to KO after.

Other Options
########
  • Megahorn can be used to hit Dark- and- Psychic types harder.
  • Sunny Day + Solar Beam allows Rapidash to OHKO Pokemon such as Rhydon and Golem.
  • Hypnosis is an option to put the foe asleep and allows Rapidash free damaging turns, but its moderate accuracy prevent it from being good.
  • Hidden Power Grass can 2HKO Seismitoad on the switch-in, but is rather weak.
  • Overheat is an option for great base power, but drops Special Attack harshly after.
  • Charcoal can be used over Life Orb or Choice Band, but it won't boost Rapidash's coverage options, leaving them quite weak.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Rock-types** Physically Defensive Rock-types, such as Rhydon, can tank Rapidash attacks with ease and strike back with a super effective Earthquake.

**Fast Pokemon** Quick Pokemon with an advantage over Rapidash, such as Archeops, can easily stop Rapidash with a STAB attack.

**Priority Attacks** Rapidash has poor staying power and priority attacks will quickly bring Rapidash to its end. Examples of powerful priority users are Hariyama, Kangaskhan, Pawniard, and Cacturne, though the ladder two need to be wary of Rapidash's STAB.

**Residual damage** The half of Rapidash's HP is cut down by all direct damaging entry hazards, and since Rapidash is also hit by recoil damage after using Flare Blitz, it finds it tough to stay alive.

**Bulky Water-types** Bulky Water-type Pokemon, mainly Seismitoad but also Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Carracosta can easily switch into a Flare Blitz and set up on Rapidash after.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
- Mention in Overview that Rapidash has poor longevity, since most of its attacks, especially its main one, induces recoil. Coupled with its weakness to entry hazards, this makes Rapidash extremely easy to wear down.

- List notable targets your coverage moves hit. Wild Charge also hits Archeops btw.
- If the coverage moves' targets overlap (ex: Low Kick, Drill Run, Wild Charge against Kabutops), list that Pokemon when mentioning the coverage move that hits it the hardest. For instance, you can list Carracosta when mentioning Wild Charge targets, Rhydon when mentioning Low Kick targets, etc..

- Make Low Kick the 3rd move: you don't need Megahorn's coverage, while Low Kick is useful against the likes of Rhydon, Carracosta, and Pyroar. Mention that Drill Run hits Dragalge, Lanturn, and opposing Fire-types such as Flareon, Camerupt, Magmortar..., since other Rock-types are hit harder by Low Kick. Double-Edge doesn't seem like a bad option to slash in 4th since it is Rapidash's best physical move against Seismitoad, and hits most Drill Run targets somewhat decently, though it does have recoil.

- Remove Iron Tail as you can just Flare Blitz Fairy-types. Megahorn can be removed for the same reasons.

- Adamant Archeops doesn't exist. List Pokemon it can outspeed and speedtie.

- Examples of Pokes that remove & set up hazards?

- Swift Swim sweepers fall into the category of 'Fast(er) Pokemon'. Remove this.
- I'm somewhat inclined to just list a "Bulky Fire resist" section, since almost all Pokemon in this category deal with Rapidash the same way: either tank its hits and KO it, or outlast it with recovery while it wears itself down. Simply giving it a reason to not spam Flare Blitz can lower its threat level significantly. Pokes such as Rhydon, Seismitoad, Carracosta, Thick Fat Hariyama, Poliwrath, Lanturn, etc. are examples.
- Priority attacks in C&C
- Residual damage in C&C; between recoil and hazard damage, Rapidash finds it tough to stay alive.

- Mention in Overview that Rapidash has poor longevity, since most of its attacks, especially its main one, induces recoil. Coupled with its weakness to entry hazards, this makes Rapidash extremely easy to wear down.

- List notable targets your coverage moves hit. Wild Charge also hits Archeops btw.
- If the coverage moves' targets overlap (ex: Low Kick, Drill Run, Wild Charge against Kabutops), list that Pokemon when mentioning the coverage move that hits it the hardest. For instance, you can list Carracosta when mentioning Wild Charge targets, Rhydon when mentioning Low Kick targets, etc..

- Make Low Kick the 3rd move: you don't need Megahorn's coverage, while Low Kick is useful against the likes of Rhydon, Carracosta, and Pyroar. Mention that Drill Run hits Dragalge, Lanturn, and opposing Fire-types such as Flareon, Camerupt, Magmortar..., since other Rock-types are hit harder by Low Kick. Double-Edge doesn't seem like a bad option to slash in 4th since it is Rapidash's best physical move against Seismitoad, and hits most Drill Run targets somewhat decently, though it does have recoil.

- Remove Iron Tail as you can just Flare Blitz Fairy-types. Megahorn can be removed for the same reasons.

- Adamant Archeops doesn't exist. List Pokemon it can outspeed and speedtie.

- Examples of Pokes that remove & set up hazards?

- Swift Swim sweepers fall into the category of 'Fast(er) Pokemon'. Remove this.
- I'm somewhat inclined to just list a "Bulky Fire resist" section, since almost all Pokemon in this category deal with Rapidash the same way: either tank its hits and KO it, or outlast it with recovery while it wears itself down. Simply giving it a reason to not spam Flare Blitz can lower its threat level significantly. Pokes such as Rhydon, Seismitoad, Carracosta, Thick Fat Hariyama, Poliwrath, Lanturn, etc. are examples.
- Priority attacks in C&C
- Residual damage in C&C; between recoil and hazard damage, Rapidash finds it tough to stay alive.
i have implemented your changes, except for Bulky Fire resist, because Lanturn is hit by Drill Run super effectively, Poliwrath by Wild Charge, Carracosta by Wild Charge, etc. so im not sure.

Punchshroom

i have implemented your changes, except for Bulky Fire resist, because Lanturn is hit by Drill Run super effectively, Poliwrath by Wild Charge, Carracosta by Wild Charge, etc. so im not sure.
For the most part, deterring Rapidash from spamming Flare Blitz tends to already be enough to check it, since Flare Blitz is Rapidash's only good attack it can afford to lock itself into and is the move it wants to be able to spam as much as possible (kind of like Typhlosion's Eruption). Each Flare Blitz cuts into Dash's lifespan, limiting the amount of times it can spam Flare Blitz in the future, so it wants to make the most of each one. None of the Fire resists get OHKOed, or sometimes even 2HKOed, by the coverage move of choice, so they can still proceed to check Dash again as they switch out to a resist. Just because Rapidash has coverage for something doesn't mean it doesn't have reliable switch-ins (we know that is not the case with Typhlosion).

I mentioned Poliwrath since it is barely 2HKOed by Wild Charge and proceed to Rest off any damage it takes from any other attack it takes in the future, meaning it can still check Dash even after taking a Wild Charge. Costa is mostly to gravely punish Rapidash for even daring to Flare Blitz, though I suppose Feraligatr would fit this category better since it is weak to less attacks. Lanturn resists two of Rapidash's main attacks which I thought was nifty, though I suppose its defense is shaky enough to risk a 3HKO from Flare Blitz after hazard damage, so I wouldn't mind if you removed this point.

With all that said, I am not opposed to mention Rocks and Waters as their own separate points, since I realized that they tend to deal with Dash differently outside of just sponging Flare Blitzes. A Bulky Water section should be listed, with Seismitoad being the biggest counter; other Water-types such as Feraligatr, the Shell Smashers, and Kabutops have dangerous setup moves that deter Rapidash from KOing things with Flare Blitz (your Team Options should heavily emphasize this), while Toad and Qwilfish can set up hazards to make life even harder for Dash. Rock-types are, for the most part, bulkier but more passive, and tend to set up Stealth Rock and just let that do the work. The main reason I felt the need to merge the counters into one is because there just aren't many Fire-resistant Rock-types that aren't part Water, that seem more suitable in the Waters section due to their offensive nature and whatnot. I feel like I need QC input on this one.

For the most part, deterring Rapidash from spamming Flare Blitz tends to already be enough to check it, since Flare Blitz is Rapidash's only good attack it can afford to lock itself into and is the move it wants to be able to spam as much as possible (kind of like Typhlosion's Eruption). Each Flare Blitz cuts into Dash's lifespan, limiting the amount of times it can spam Flare Blitz in the future, so it wants to make the most of each one. None of the Fire resists get OHKOed, or sometimes even 2HKOed, by the coverage move of choice, so they can still proceed to check Dash again as they switch out to a resist. Just because Rapidash has coverage for something doesn't mean it doesn't have reliable switch-ins (we know that is not the case with Typhlosion).

I mentioned Poliwrath since it is barely 2HKOed by Wild Charge and proceed to Rest off any damage it takes from any other attack it takes in the future, meaning it can still check Dash even after taking a Wild Charge. Costa is mostly to gravely punish Rapidash for even daring to Flare Blitz, though I suppose Feraligatr would fit this category better since it is weak to less attacks. Lanturn resists two of Rapidash's main attacks which I thought was nifty, though I suppose its defense is shaky enough to risk a 3HKO from Flare Blitz after hazard damage, so I wouldn't mind if you removed this point.

With all that said, I am not opposed to mention Rocks and Waters as their own separate points, since I realized that they tend to deal with Dash differently outside of just sponging Flare Blitzes. A Bulky Water section should be listed, with Seismitoad being the biggest counter; other Water-types such as Feraligatr, the Shell Smashers, and Kabutops have dangerous setup moves that deter Rapidash from KOing things with Flare Blitz (your Team Options should heavily emphasize this), while Toad and Qwilfish can set up hazards to make life even harder for Dash. Rock-types are, for the most part, bulkier but more passive, and tend to set up Stealth Rock and just let that do the work. The main reason I felt the need to merge the counters into one is because there just aren't many Fire-resistant Rock-types that aren't part Water, that seem more suitable in the Waters section due to their offensive nature and whatnot. I feel like I need QC input on this one.
I added the Bulky Water types section.

Punchshroom

Many Water-types also threaten to set up on Choice-locked Rapidash, so be sure to add that point.

You only mentioned Mimagius as a speedtie target. You'll need more reasons why Adamant shouldn't considered, such as outrunning base 95s and 100s like Jynx, Typhlosion, and other Pokemon within that category that Rapidash would like to outspeed (you can add more if you wish).

QC 1/3

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I really think Choice Band Rapidash sucks. It only really needs 3 attacks: Flare Blitz (STAB), Wild Charge (for Water-types / predicting Archeops to switch on Rapidash / Pelipper, Mantine, maybe Swanna but eh), and Drill Run | Low Kick (coverage for Rock-types, Drill Run hits Dragalge while Low Kick does more to Rhydon). LO 3 Atk with Morning Sun just seems better to me as it lets Rapidash heal itself by forcing out slower Grass-types or on things that can't 2HKO it, and allows Rapidash to switch up moves which is quite nice.

If Choice Band stays, 4th Move on the set should only be Baton Pass to potentially grab momentum as Double-Edge sucks and Drill Run + Low Kick is redundant in my opinion.

Also since changing the set to LO 3 Atk Morning Sun wil change most of the skeleton, you might as well go back to WIP for now and test Rapidash a bit more.

Some of the things you mentionned in Overview are either useless (like talking about its stats when they will be right above the overview in the Dex), or needs better explications (Coverages). Poor longevity and Stealth Rock weakness can also easily be together.

Oh and remove the Bulky Wisp set from OO, that's just bad (sure Ponyta can pull that off in LC, but that doesn't mean its evolution can pull that off too lol). Also remove the Mix set.. Only mix set I would use is a Sunny Day set with Solar Beam.

Reactions: g
I really think Choice Band Rapidash sucks. It only really needs 3 attacks: Flare Blitz (STAB), Wild Charge (for Water-types / predicting Archeops to switch on Rapidash / Pelipper, Mantine, maybe Swanna but eh), and Drill Run | Low Kick (coverage for Rock-types, Drill Run hits Dragalge while Low Kick does more to Rhydon). LO 3 Atk with Morning Sun just seems better to me as it lets Rapidash heal itself by forcing out slower Grass-types or on things that can't 2HKO it, and allows Rapidash to switch up moves which is quite nice.

If Choice Band stays, 4th Move on the set should only be Baton Pass to potentially grab momentum as Double-Edge sucks and Drill Run + Low Kick is redundant in my opinion.

Also since changing the set to LO 3 Atk Morning Sun wil change most of the skeleton, you might as well go back to WIP for now and test Rapidash a bit more.

Some of the things you mentionned in Overview are either useless (like talking about its stats when they will be right above the overview in the Dex), or needs better explications (Coverages). Poor longevity and Stealth Rock weakness can also easily be together.

Oh and remove the Bulky Wisp set from OO, that's just bad (sure Ponyta can pull that off in LC, but that doesn't mean its evolution can pull that off too lol). Also remove the Mix set.. Only mix set I would use is a Sunny Day set with Solar Beam.
I personally don't think LO 3 Attacks is better.

Tagging QC members for input

Punchshroom Montsegur Raseri Dat Blast

Punchshroom

LO Rapidash suffers from unreal recoil, and is far more pressured to heal (and spend less time attacking) as a result, which doesn't seem like a particularly worthy payout for the ability to switch moves. Not to mention that even when not Choice-locked, LO Rapidash still cannot KO most Fire resists with its coverage move after they tank a Flare Blitz (while Dash loses a shitton of health), so the advantage is lessened once again. I wouldn't mind seeing Life Orb slashed second though, with Morning Sun in last slash.

Yeah, Baton Pass seems like a far better alternative to dealing with Toad than Double-Edge, forgot it learns that. I wouldn't be opposed to having Drill Run and Low Kick slashed in Move 3, with no particular move taking greater importance since both hit notable targets.

This pretty much, though the last point about merging poor longevity + SR shouldn't even be a concern before write-up.

To expand on Soulgazer's point on elaborating coverage moves Soulblaster: when mentioning Drill Run, you'll need to be specific when listing targets; mentioning Poison-types and Electric-types as targets when Pokes such as Vileplume and Electivire are better off being Blitzed comes off as vague and/or confusing.

Yeah SunnyBeam seems to be the only noteworthy set in OO. The only worthwhile move I see Dash learning is Hypnosis, which is pretty unreliable.

Punchshroom

will do. Remove both other options? it doesn't really have much other options than them

Punchshroom
Pretty much. All of Rapidash's best attacks are condensed into one set, so it really doesn't have much to mention in OO. I suppose you could talk about Poison Jab and Megahorn, and how bad/redundant/ they are on Dash, as well as being far inferior to its other coverage moves, so that people wouldn't bother using them.

Soulblaster Say 'Done' when you've finished with all the suggested changes, k?

Pretty much. All of Rapidash's best attacks are condensed into one set, so it really doesn't have much to mention in OO. I suppose you could talk about Poison Jab and Megahorn, and how bad/redundant they are on Dash so that people wouldn't bother using them.
Done.

Punchshroom

Btw, Probopass is a poor example of a Drill Run target. How about Lanturn and opposing Fire-types (though Pyroar is hit just as hard by Low Kick)? Also, mention Rhydon, as well as Pyroar, as Low Kick targets.

Punchshroom

You know what, just list Pyroar after talking about Low Kick and Drill Run, by mentioning how both moves hit it super effectively.

Many Water-types also threaten to set up on Choice-locked Rapidash, so be sure to add that point.
**Bulky Water-types** Bulky Water-type Pokemon, mainly Seismitoad but also Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Carracosta can easily switch into a Flare Blitz and and set up on Rapidash.

You only mentioned Mimagius as a speedtie target. You'll need more reasons why Adamant shouldn't considered, such as outrunning base 95s and 100s like Jynx, Typhlosion, and other Pokemon within that category that Rapidash would like to outspeed (you can add more if you wish).
Implement the LO slash me and Soulgazer talked about.

Soulblaster I edited this comment.

Last edited:
You know what, just list Pyroar after talking about Low Kick and Drill Run, by mentioning how both moves hit it super effectively.

**Bulky Water-types** Bulky Water-type Pokemon, mainly Seismitoad but also Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Carracosta can easily switch into a Flare Blitz and and set up on Rapidash.
alright I'll edit tht

Edit: Punchshroom check your profile page.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

Mention in Set Details that LO also causes additional recoil, which stacks up quickly alongside Flare Blitz and Wild Charge recoil.

Hypnosis in OO, mention its unreliablity and that it only sees worth since Rapidash does not have many other moves.

"re-QC" 1/3

Mention in Set Details that LO also causes additional recoil, which stacks up quickly alongside Flare Blitz and Wild Charge recoil.

Hypnosis in OO, mention its unreliablity and that it only sees worth since Rapidash does not have many other moves.

"re-QC" 1/3
I have implemented your changes. Thanks.

Ready for the second check :]

Anybody ever use Mix Rapidash? You may want to add that in the sets...with something like Drill Run/Wild Charge/HP:Grass/Flare Blitz? Yeah HP:grass pretty much for Seismitoad! On the face of it there are few things that can swtich in after Stealth Rock and not get 2HKO'd by the appropriate move. OO at least?

Anybody ever use Mix Rapidash? You may want to add that in the sets...with something like Drill Run/Wild Charge/HP:Grass/Flare Blitz? Yeah HP:grass pretty much for Seismitoad! On the face of it there are few things that can swtich in after Stealth Rock and not get 2HKO'd by the appropriate move. OO at least?
4 SpA Life Orb Rapidash Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Seismitoad: 239-286 (57.7 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
doesn't hit it great, seismitoad OHKO-es with EQ after

but, thanks for your input

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)