Rarely Used and finally #1!

Out for Revenge

Update: The team has been tweaked thanks to everyone's input and fares much better against the threats that plagued it before. I have updated the Threat List too. This team is currently sitting at #1 on the ladder so I'd like to thank everyone for their contributions.​

Hey guys, this is a team built for the RU tier and it has been much more fun than I could have ever expected! There is a greater pool of viable Pokemon and strategies to choose from so it is both exciting and challenging. It is a new and relatively undeveloped metagame and, like most of you probably, I have been experimenting a lot!​

Nearly all of the strategies hyped in OU are present: Shell Smash, Quiver Dance, Prankster, Eviolite and Rain Dance/Swift Swim abuse are common. As well as this, there is no permanent weather in the tier apart from Hail which means Hail Stall is extremely potent and hard to stop. There is a refreshing diversity of teams and all this adds up in a pretty hectic and vicious metagame where there is almost no room for mistake and an extra turn anytime in the match could spell victory or defeat.​

I have played and tested a lot of Pokemon and this is a team that combines some of my favourite ones into a core that supports each other and can stand up to the many different strategies and tactics in the tier. Some Pokemon are standard while a few are a little more unorthodox so I hope the team is interesting.​

I have had fun with this team, currently #5 on the leaderboard for those of you that are into that sort of thing, and I hope you enjoy reading my RMT. Any comments would of course be kindly appreciated!​

Team Building Process

I started out RU not really knowing what to look out for, and with no clear direction what I wanted to achieve. So I started with some gimmicky sets that I tried before such as Unburden Sceptile and Nasty Plot Mandibuzz. During this testing period my team changed wildly and Pokemon came and went as I tested hyped up sets such as CM Cresselia, Moxie Honchkrow and Quiver Dance Venomoth. I eventually settled on a Quiver Pass team with Porygon-Z as the recipient that was fun to use.​

After a while, I wasn't satisfied with it because my playing style has always been to form a group of 6 Pokemon that complement each other and are hard to break down as a group. Quiver Pass was too obvious and too dependent on the conditions being right for me to trust it as a solid strategy. My team took a more defensive turn and this was the period when I tested out most of the walls in the tier (yes I even tried Torkoal).

I discovered the fantastic reliability of Cresselia and Lickilicky as a partnership and I decided to build a team around the stability they provide. I tried to find good offensive threats that was supported by Cresselia and Lickilicky and eventually settled on what could almost be mistaken for a team.

While battling with it, I began to address the weakness that plagued the team and to try to get the team to be able to pull off a victory no matter how dire the conditions, or hax. After ditching a few Pokemon for more effective replacements that's how the team came to be!

Lickilicky's Dragon Tail just didn't cut it as a phazing move because Substitute users can come in any time to set up making this team extremely weak to them. After testing and seeing how well the team fared with Munchlax, he took his spot alongside Cresselia. The team also received some slight EV and moveset tweaking.

Close-up with the Critters

Entei @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flare Blitz
- Toxic
- Stone Edge

Entei serves as an essential check to the Smashers and Dancers in the tier. CB Extremespeed hits hard and is a life saver against so many threats. Flare Blitz does huge damage, Toxic punishes common switch-ins and works well with Entei's Fire type. Stone Edge is filler coverage really.​

I like to lead with Entei a lot times because he puts great pressure on the opponent and often forces out common hazards leads. If they don't switch then often I am looking at a 6 v 5 match from the outset so that is always nice. He also has decent bulk, allowing him to scare things at the start of a match and finish things off at the end.​

The EVs are pretty self-explanatory, I dumped the 4 extra EVs into SpDef because Entei often comes in on Fire Blasts, not that it makes any difference. Keeping his HP an odd number does make a difference though for surviving four Stealth Rock switch-ins. Stealth Rock is a huge pain to Entei so scaring SR leads away is a good way for him to start the match.​

In a nutshell: Revenge killer, hole puncher and Toxic spreader. Starts the match at a high tempo.

Venomoth (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Roost​

Venomoth is one of the most notorious boosters in the tier and for good reason. Quiver Dance lets Venomoth outspeed the majority of non-Scarfed Pokemon and makes her untouchable on the special side. After one Quiver Dance, Venomoth boasts more offensive power than Mewtwo. Sleep Powder is its greatest weapon and makes countering Venomoth extremely difficult. Thanks to Tinted Lens, STAB Bug Buzz is almost completely unresisted and allows a free moveslot for Roost, keeping Venomoth healthy. She also absorbs Toxic Spikes which can severely cripple this team.​

With this set, Venomoth can safely set up on walls that rely on Toxic and Seismic Toss as well as various special attackers. The EVs allow her to outspeed Adamant Medicham (don't ask, painful memories...) while outspeeding base 120s such as Alakazam after a boost.​

Venomoth is surprisingly another Pokemon I love to lead with. It ensures the opponent doesn't set up Stealth Rock because if they do, I get to set up for free so again it piles on the pressure and helps dictate the match in my favour from the first turn.​

In a nutshell: Possibly the most broken set-up sweeper in the tier. Very nice!

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 176 Def / 96 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Moonlight
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam​

Cresselia has made a name for herself as a Calm Mind sweeper but I prefer her as a physical wall. Levitate along with a Fighting resistance allow her easy switches into common physical attackers. Weather is thankfully not common so Moonlight is actually reliable, and with Reflect Cresselia is untouchable on the physical side. Even boosted +6 sweepers cannot break through and Reflect supports the team too who are all a little frail on the physical side. Thunder Wave cripples sweepers and is a nice Status condition to support the team with while Ice Beam nails Ground types. Overall I am happy with this set because very few things can come in safely without being damaged, crippled or forced out again.​

Despite being a physical wall, she has special bulk comparable to Lickiliky so she is more than capable of tanking on the special side too although her Bug weakness lets her down.​

The EVs allow Cresselia to outspeed uninvested base 90 Pokemon such as bulky Moltres as well as getting the jump on most Gligar sets; it is also now EVed to outrun Crawdaunt and hits a bonus Def point. The rest is in HP. Not too sure if this is the most efficient spread but it is holding up well so far.​

In a nutshell: One of the hardest Pokemon to take down in the tier, and a fantastic physical wall to fall back on.

Munchlax (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Body Slam
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Munchlax is incredible. He has come in to Lickilicky's big shoes and not just filled them, he has them bursting at the seams. Munchlax has everything that Lickilicky needed in Whirlwind and he has a paralysing Body Slam to boot. Between these two attacks, set up sweepers simply cannot stay in. The final piece of the puzzle is simple. The most broken (and broken they are imo) set up sweepers in the tier have Sleep Powder to neutralise potential road blocks. With Sleep Talk, Munchlax only becomes more erratic and no less threatening. Rest heals Munchlax and lets him last.​

The loss of Lickilicky meant the loss of Heal Bell, but Munchlax remedies that somewhat by being a fantastic status absorber. Most Pokemon that likes to status things don't fare well against Munchlax so he can sit his ass down time and again into their Thunder Wave, Toxic or feeble Ice Beam. This does mean that I need to play more conservatively with Sceptile, Cresselia and Venomoth now because I cannot send them into a potential Toxic or Thunder Wave.​

Munchlax's bulk is on another level thanks to his HP and Eviolite; Thick Fat helps him even more in this regard. He walls every special attacker in the tier and is a regular aquaintance of Entei. The SpDef EVs let him take three Bug Buzzes from Specs Yanmega all the time while surviving two Focus Blasts from Alakazam after SR. The Def EVs let him take two Sharpedo Crunches and his HP is maximised to make him as bulky as possible.​

In a nutshell: Counters all specially based Pokemon and special set up sweepers in particular. Supports the team by taking status and spreading Paralysis.

Aggron (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Autotomize
- Roar

Aggron is often overlooked in favour of Rhyperior but has worked well with the team so far. His great number of resistances as well as physical bulk allow him to come in quite easily and set Stealth Rock. With his ability Rock Head, Aggron has access to a 80% accuracy 150 BP STAB attack with no drawbacks. To put it into perspective, LO Aggron's Head Smash hits a lot harder than even Choice Band Terrakion's Stone Edge. Autotomize is often a nasty surprise for opponents and can give Aggron a chance to sweep. Roar is a move that became necessary because many of the threats that threaten this team like to come in on Aggron and set up. It's still not a full solution so this definitely needs to be looked at.​

The reason I chose Aggron over Rhyperior is because he hits much harder with just one move. He has better resistances to Extremespeed, Toxic and Dragon type attacks to force switches and his 4x weaknesses are commonly found on the physical side so he doesn't automatically die to them. It's always nice to have a Steel type on a team because it is a rare type in this tier and helps check Bug types.​

Aggron is EVed with max Attack to hit as hard as possible. The Speed EVs allow him to outrun Base 120s such as Alakazam and Sceptile at +2. The rest is dumped in HP.​

In a nutshell: Aggron sets Stealth Rock and has an explosive Head Smash to crush switch-ins. Autotomize makes him speedy.

Sceptile (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 36 Def / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
IVs: 23 HP
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

Sceptile is one of my favourite Pokemon in the tier right now. She has amazing speed and a good movepool to abuse it with. Sceptile is my special sweeper and can either blast or SubSeed her way through most of the tier. Sceptile forces many switches on common Water, Ground and Rock type Pokemon and can easily grab a free Substitute. From there it is a matter of Leech Seeding and watching the opponent die to essentially what is a Stallrein that doesn't care what the weather is like.​

Giga Drain fits perfectly into the strategy, allowing Sceptile to heal herself with a powerful attack while Hidden Power [Fire] blasts Grass and Bug types that think they are safe. Overgrow is a good ability with this strategy because if you cannot OHKO something straight away, you can Sub down to below 33% HP and hit them with an Overgrow boosted Giga Drain that heals you back to full health. Sceptile already forces a lot of switches and the SubSeeder serves as a great lure to cripple many counters as well as Grass and Bug types.​

Because Sceptile is running Hidden Power [Fire] she cannot hit maximum speed so must settle for outspeeding Base 115s such as Cincinno. She still outspeeds much of the tier so it is no great loss. The HP IVs net the closest Leftovers number while allowing 5 Substitutes with Leftovers. Special attack is pushed as high as possible and the rest is put into Defence to help her switch in to Earthquakes.​

In a nutshell: Sceptile is a huge threat and with SubSeed she can win against many common counters as well as hitting fast and hard.

Lickilicky (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Dragon Tail​

Forming an awesome defensive partnership with Cresselia is Lickilicky. Having tried Clefable and Audino, I decided that Lickilicky is the best fit for two reasons. She has greater bulk and she has access to a phazing move.​

Wish works well with Lickilicky's high HP stat and Protect should be obvious, allowing for scouting and healing. Heal Bell keeps the team healthy along with Wish and has saved the team countless times. Dragon Tail is the move that ties it all together and keeps the opponent on their toes in ways that Clefable and Audino cannot do. With Lickilicky's insane bulk, no special attacker can outright 2HKO at full HP (not even Specs Yanmega :0) so Lickilicky can comfortably phaze the enemy while healing herself with Wish.​

The EVs maximise Lickilicky's special bulk so there is not much to explain here. One thing to note is that Lickilicky has good physical bulk too and can tank neutral physical hits without problems, thus forming an almost unbreakable core with Cresselia. Pokemon with Substitute cause Lickilicky problems so she is not perfect, and really wishes she had Whirlwind or Roar. You can't have everything I suppose...​

In a nutshell: Lack of common special weaknesses allows Lickilicky to use her bulk to the fullest. Supports the team and racks up damage with Dragon Tail.

Threats

There are some major threats to this team and most of them center around Pokemon that can break the Cresselia and Munchlax defensive core. Fighting type bulky Substitute users in particular give this team a horrid time. I am not listing every threat but just the most pressing issues. In no particular order:​

Gallade - Bulk Up and Swords Dance both give this team immense problems if they carry Shadow Sneak. Sceptile cannot SubSeed them to death and Cresselia cannot stall them out. To add to the pain, Aggron baits them in like nothing else. Very annoying to face.​

Poliwrath - A Sub Bulk Up set really hurts this team because again it loves to come in on Aggron and start setting up. Aggron does have Roar to alleviate this somewhat but once they know the surprise they will not fall for it again. Once Poliwrath gets behind a Sub, Sceptile is my only answer to it. If Sceptile is down, it better not be behind a Sub or else even Entei cannot do anything. A big problem for this team.​

Alakazam - SubCM variants are annoying and will find an easy time switching in and setting up on Cresselia if they can avoid Thunder Wave. Munchlax can threaten it or phaze it out but +1 Focus Blast still hurts.​

Crawdaunt - One of my favourite Pokemon in the RU tier and was a member of the team for a very long time. Crawdaunt doesn't have such an easy time setting up now since Cresselia is the only thing it can switch in on and gets outsped and Thunder Waved. If Crawdaunt does somehow get to +1 it will need to be revenged by Sceptile or Entei.​

Hail Stall - One of those strategies where one turn is all it takes for it to set up. Regice and Walrein can switch in to Cresselia and begin setting up although they can't afford to switch in to anything else which is a relief. Thankfully Munchlax takes nothing from their attacks and can phaze them away as well as not being afraid of status.​

Baton Pass - With Ninjask, Smeargle and Gorebyss in the tier, Baton Pass has lost none of its stars. However it's not as hard to counter because Sceptile can set up on Smeargle while Entei wins against Ninjask and Gorebyss if it's in the lead spot. Munchlax can phaze them out too if they have managed a pass so it is not too much of a problem.​

Stall - Yes stall is possible in RU and I have seen a few very well constructed stall teams that have had this team on edge. Bulky walls with Wish can try to stall out Sceptile so SubSeeding does not work while their hazards can quickly rack up if I switch too often. I almost always need to preserve Venomoth at least for its ability to absorb Toxic Spikes and for a set up sweep late in the match to break through their bulky Pokemon.​

Thank you!

I'd like to thank you for reading and feel free to comment on things big or small!​

Nothing much to say about this team, pretty much standard sets and the pokes match up well with each other. However, replace Toxic on Entei for HP Grass. It may sound stupid at first, but you'll change your mind when you see that it 2HKO's both Rhydon and Rhyperior, two pokes he'd have no chance of touching otherwise.

One big comment though... WTF IS WITH THE PIC ON THE BOTTOM? O.o

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't seen very many Rhyperiors lately, and I just thought Toxic would be nice to hit Water types but now that I think about it, maybe HP Grass would be better... Would you suggest any EV changes with HP Grass?

@the pic: maybe it can be a stimulator for competitive debate? ^^)

Toxic Quagsire makes great damages in this team, specially if your opponent also has a cleric. I also think that you should replace Toxic for HP grass.

Putting Sp. Atk EV's into Entei isn't needed, you're only going to use HP Grass on pokes that are 4x weak to it, and its all 2HKO's, so there's no real reason to, as the Rhymon/Quagsire/Gastrodon will come in on the switch, predicting the ESpeed/Flare Blitz, then get there ass handed to them with HP.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Great team dude! Not much else to say except dont let Alakazam set up ;)

But in all seriousness, really good team. I just see a slight Crawdaunt weakness but otherwise your golden.

lol thanks! Yeah it's more than just a slight weakness, at +1 both Alakazam and Crawdaunt can rip through this team. And it's all because of their Substitutes... <sigh>

I'm considering moving some EVs into attack on Lickilicky just so I can break Substitutes 100% of the time... If only he had Taunt or Whirlwind...

you can try seismic toss on Lickilicky, both crawdaunt and alakazam doesnt have a more then 400 hp so seimic toss brakes the substitute

when i faced your team ( im Gigapflanze ) i thought it was very weak against substitute tanks like poliwrath or lanturn so a phazing move would help but i have no idea which pokemon fits too your team :/

Strong stuff like SubBulk Up Poliwrath will slaughter this team pretty bad. A Focus Punch will decimate Sceptile on the switch in and then he's free to bulk up until +6 where even Cresselia won't be able to hold him off. I feel like something like Clear Smog Gastrodon could help a bit, but I'm not sure where to put it.

Thanks for all the input guys! After testing for so long I couldn't quite find exactly what this team is missing and you guys have pointed it out straight away, it has a huge Substitute weakness... Maybe I should swap Lickilicky for Audino since I will be using Seismic Toss to break Substitutes. Dragon Tail will be missed though...

I could swap Sceptile for something too, and just focus on Venomoth as a sweeper... A Substitute breaker such as Scarf Technician Cincinno? :S

Thanks for all the input guys! After testing for so long I couldn't quite find exactly what this team is missing and you guys have pointed it out straight away, it has a huge Substitute weakness... Maybe I should swap Lickilicky for Audino since I will be using Seismic Toss to break Substitutes. Dragon Tail will be missed though...

I could swap Sceptile for something too, and just focus on Venomoth as a sweeper... A Substitute breaker such as Scarf Technician Cincinno? :S
I think that Clefable is better than Audino, but this is to your election.
Instead of changing Sceptile, you could try a more defensive Aggron with Roar, but you should have careful with Poliwrath SubPunch (unusual).

Hey guys, quick update. I'm currently testing out replacements for Lickilicky and playing on the PO UU ladder. I haven't been able to replace Toxic on Entei yet because there are a lot of Pokemon in UU that I need Toxic to hit, but once Smogon comes back on I will test HP Grass in RU. Been playing for the last 2 hours or so and haven't lost a match yet so fingers crossed it keeps going like this! Also battled someone using this team which was pretty surreal. Once I have done all the testing I will update the team accordingly (and hopefully some of the threats in the threat list will also have disappeared :P). Once again your comments have really helped me think about this team so I'll try to get back with changes and results as soon as possible!

@ Ryanor: Yes I agree that this team needs a more reliable phazer than Lickilicky, although I'm personally not sure about Roar on Aggron. He loses to Alakazam, Crawdaunt, Gallade, Medicham and Poliwrath all of whom I need to phaze... I'm testing out some phazers in the place of Lickilicky at the moment.

Edit: Right after I post this, I lose a match... fml

you might want to consider getting a spinner even if entei lead and venomoth kinda counter sr leads getting the SR up because if the rocks do end up on the field entei and venomoth kinda get raped

@ Ryanor: Yes I agree that this team needs a more reliable phazer than Lickilicky, although I'm personally not sure about Roar on Aggron. He loses to Alakazam, Crawdaunt, Gallade, Medicham and Poliwrath all of whom I need to phaze... I'm testing out some phazers in the place of Lickilicky at the moment.
Really, that's true.

Absorb bulb and unburden work really well you get +1 special attack from a water attack when hit and as you used you item you get +2 speed This could work better on your sceptile i like the rest of your team and think that that lickilicky is awsome and am using him now on my RU team :D

Hey guys, this team has been updated and is faring much better against most of the threats that troubled it.

I have replaced Aqua Tail with Roar on Aggron to prevent Pokemon setting up on him and I have made Cresselia speedier to outspeed Jolly Crawdaunt to paralyse it before it sets up.

The biggest change has been replacing Lickilicky with Munchlax which has pretty much solved the team's weakness to Substitute boosters and Baton Pass.

Thanks to everyone who suggested Roar and Dragon Tail on Aggron because I was not convinced at first but it actually works really well and prevents Fighting types setting up.

However the team still has a weakness to bulky Fighting type Pokemon because they can come in so easily on Aggron and they will not be stopped by Roar twice in a match.. It feels like Aggron is not pulling his weight at this stage in time because it is the weak link in the team. However he does set SR which I absolutely need and his Head Smash punches big holes in many teams. So I do not really know how to go about fixing this because Aggron is both a weakness and a strength.

@ Zapdan: Absorb Bulb sounds very powerful but it really relies on predicting correctly and you only get one chance at it. If the opponent had a very bulky phazer or Entei then the sweep could be cut short so I don't think it would be reliable. Thanks for the suggestion though!

edit:
@ waterwarrior: I tried Hidden Power [Grass] on Entei and unfortunately it didn't work too well for me. Rhyperior, Quagsire and Gastrodon aren't common now and HP [Grass] didn't punish Blastoise enough. I felt like I missed Toxic as an attack to spam early game and Entei spreads it quite well. I really appreciate your suggestion of course but I reckon I'll stick with Toxic for a bit longer.

Great team you got there, no luck involved. The only thing I think you choose change would be automize on Aggron because it doesn't go very well with the 3 other moves since you are not going to sweep anytime soon with only one attack, as strong as it may be (I know Head smash is really powerful on Aggron). This set just begs for a figthing or ground type switch-in. At least, your Cress can help with that.

Anyways, you can change automize for Earthquake, aqua tail, low kick, ice punch, magnet rise or even metal burst (which may not be a good idea because you don't have sturdy)!

I have fought this version of the team twice in the past, and though I managed to win both times (with only one poke left, though), I can say that the team is very well made and does not have any glaring weaknesses (though I would like to point out that you team has only one Water and Rock resistance along with two weaknesses for both types). The opening post has one little problem, though: It states that your Munchlax is female, but you use male pronouns to describe her (though it's fine to refer to Entei with male pronouns if you want to). It's just a minor cosmetic issue though, and it doesn't need to be corrected if you don't want to.

@ SuperPascal: Yeah Aggron is a bit of a wierd one. I have to admit I don't use Autotomize on Aggron very often but the few times that I have I have been able to clean up nicely late game. But I'm considering swapping it for Aqua Tail to hit Claydol since Aggron doesn't get to sweep very often at all and Roar is a much more useful move. Metal Burst is an option too but most moves targetted at Aggron generally KO him in one...

@ Some Person: Yeah you were really tough to face and really fun battles, but that was on my test account so it doesn't count :P I'll be happy to have some more matches with you if you'd like to have another go ;) Thanks for pointing out the error on Munchlax, I have corrected it now!

I have reached #1 on the ladder now and I'll probably retire this team in preparation for the tiering shift that will shake up RU quite a bit.

Thank you SuperPascal and Ryanor for your comments! I will replace Autotomize on Aggron now and I will test a few options. I really wanna get rid of this Gallade and Poliwrath weakness lol!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)