Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just realized something that should suck, but doesn't.
Scarfed Electrode.
It out-speeds +2 Moltres, who seems to be the most common SmashPass recipient. It out-speeds neutral natured +2 Yanmega and Sharpedo.
And guess what? They're all weak to a STAB Thunderbolt! Plus, they won't switch out of you, because Electrode is frail and hypothetically they should out-speed you (after all, who Scarfs an Electrode?).

The fact that something like this is actually viable is just proof of how awesome a tier this is.

I was bored so I put together this ban list. It's in alphabetical order as well so its easy to find things. There might be a few errores I overlooked so feel free to post the corrections.
Your banlist is a little off. Vulpix as a pokemon is not banned. Vulpix's ability drought is banned. You can still use Vulpix if you want, for whatever reason. You just can't use Vulpix with drought.

Your banlist is a little off. Vulpix as a pokemon is not banned. Vulpix's ability drought is banned. You can still use Vulpix if you want, for whatever reason. You just can't use Vulpix with drought.
Adding on to this, Drizzle+SwSw is not banned, that's just for OU. Not that it matters, because there's no Drizzle in RU anyway.
Same for Moody. It's not "technically" banned from RU, but because it's in Ubers we still can't use it.

Vulpix is currently banned in RU because it had enough usage in UU. This will likely change next month, but currently Vulpix is still UU (even if NU is too good for non-Drought Vulpix).

Blarajan said:
Vulpix as a pokemon is not banned. Vulpix's ability drought is banned. You can still use Vulpix if you want, for whatever reason. You just can't use Vulpix with drought.
Look at the usage stats, Vulpix is UU. You can see that in the OP by Rising_Dusk.

SlimMan said:
Adding on to this, Drizzle+SwSw is not banned, that's just for OU. Not that it matters, because there's no Drizzle in RU anyway.
Same for Moody. It's not "technically" banned from RU, but because it's in Ubers we still can't use it.
For the Drizzle, I was just copy/pasting what's in Ubers, which is banned from OU. Obviously, if its banned from OU, its banned from RU. About Moody, if something is in Ubers, then IT IS BANNED from RU.

Rising_Dusk can edit this as he pleases, I'll let him make any nitpicks that he wants.

^^^
It's banned by being higher than the tier, though, not by actually getting a ban on it. In the same way that Jirachi is "banned" from UU.
I don't consider being banned, as just being not allowed. To you, it may seem like the same thing, but it's not to me.

But why does that matter? It can't be used in RU, and no matter how that may be, it's the way it is.

Drizzle + Swift Swim technically only applies to OU, although it doesn't matter for RU because Politoed is not RU nor will it ever drop that low. I suspect if rain did exist in UU and RU, there'd be an outcry for me to extend the ability-combo ban to those tiers as well (like I did with the Moody ban). Also, Vulpix was UU by usage regardless of its ban status, so it is currently removed from the RU tier.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
But what about next round, when Vulpix drops to RU and brings Drought with it? Couldn't we have just banned Vulpix to BL and called it at that?

Wait if something is rarely used wouldn't it be more common than never used? Whatever doesn't really matter I guess. But anyway. What about RU DW?

I've gotta be frank. Making a new tier like this is a good idea, but too many solid pokes are present. Cresselia springs to mind, along with yanmega and sharpedo. This tier will do nothing to pull the decent NUs away from Spinda and Chimecho. It'll simply recycle stuff that was cool last gen.
Just my thoughts.

RU is not a replacement to NU. It is in addition to NU. Within the next few months, once things have settled a bit, I will introduce NU with RU Pokemon removed from it. That's why RU is the tier above NU, and why RU is being introduced before NU.
DetroitLolcat said:
But what about next round, when Vulpix drops to RU and brings Drought with it? Couldn't we have just banned Vulpix to BL and called it at that?
Like banned Pokemon, banned abilities are also banned from tiers below the tier they are originally banned from. For instance, Kyurem will be NU by usage now that it's banned from UU, but that doesn't mean it'll be usable in NU since it was banned from a higher tier.

I agree that we should've banned Vulpix rather than Drought, but it's not a big deal really. My understanding is that Drought is banned from all tiers below OU (i.e. UU, RU, NU, and any other usage tiers below that).

EDIT: Beaten.

Uhh, how? It's no more complicated just by adding an extra tier. It operates like almost every other tier: there is a ban list that you work within and build teams, Pokemon get banned from it if they are broken, certain Pokemon will be low enough to fall down a tier. It works just like OU/UU, at least.

I, personally, love the idea, and might actually get round to playing a few games here (although I'll likely try out LC first, been meaning to do that for a while, haha.)

RU is not a replacement to NU. It is in addition to NU. Within the next few months, once things have settled a bit, I will introduce NU with RU Pokemon removed from it. That's why RU is the tier above NU, and why RU is being introduced before NU.

Like banned Pokemon, banned abilities are also banned from tiers below the tier they are originally banned from. For instance, Kyurem will be NU by usage now that it's banned from UU, but that doesn't mean it'll be usable in NU since it was banned from a higher tier.
And let us remember that it also doesn't mean that it isn't viable in OU.

Final note: Want to stop the bug types?

Evolite Golbat with Haze. X4 Bug Resistance, and decent bulk [Which works for a lot of set-up pokemon, includeing sacrificing it to take Cress' boosts away]. Or you could just OHKO with Brave Bird.
Darn you Raikaria for revealing eviolite Golbat, he is actually pretty great for a metagame where psyquic types are to scared of bugs to be dominant, and electric types are nowhere to be seen

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Guys, I have no idea why no-one has mentioned this on this thread. (maybe you have, but I have looked through)

UNAWARE QUAGSIRE

With all the stat boosters around this thing can come in and wall them. Get a couple of Stockpiles in and you wall everything that isn't grass. It has instant recovery in recover and a great move in scald that can cripple physical sweepers if it gets the burn.

Also, imo, shell smash is broken. Anything with plus 2 in speed and attack can rip through everything but Quagsire and the odd priority user.

I am resenting the lack of rapid spinners which puts a dent in yanmega. Especially with Dusknoir in this tier- it is really bulky and an amazing spinblocker.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Furthermore, CM Viziron won't be getting anywhere near Quagsire in this tier. It is arguably its best counter as it can set up some CMs for free and then OHKO with STAB Grass.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I mean, effectively, the banlist for UU can only be used in OU. So why go to the pain of making a psuedo-tier with ten pokemon instead of just merging them with the above tier, regardless of usage.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
IMO this is a necessary addition. With the huge influx of new pokemon adding a new tier every other generation seems a small price for an orderly system.

Hey, how are bans going to be handled in this metagame? Like, are we creating a BL2, or are we just pushing them up to UU and not letting them drop down again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)