Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah Entei is no doubt good, but at the moment I don't think it stands a chance at being banned. Maybe in the future.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The only thing that's really obviously broken is Yanmega. I don't like this attitude where people are assuming we have to ban four things right away and several more right after that. The fewer bans, the better. Right now, Cresselia, Venomoth, Porygon-Z, Honchkrow, Entei, etc, are not auto-bans in my book. They're major threats, and we may end up banning some of them, but let's please not go in with the attitude that all the major threats must be broken. The top Pokemon actually do a pretty solid job of keeping each other in check.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well in my experience the only thing obviously broken to me is Cresselia. So it really comes down to playstyle differences and personal experiences. I myself don't find Yanmega too amazing, where as you apparently do. So we'll see once the suspect testing starts where everything stands at a majority rather than everyones own specific opinions. I personally only think Cresselia and Yanmega have a chance at being banned right away anyway.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well in my experience the only thing obviously broken to me is Cresselia. So it really comes down to playstyle differences and personal experiences. I myself don't find Yanmega too amazing, where as you apparently do. So we'll see once the suspect testing starts where everything stands at a majority rather than everyones own specific opinions. I personally only think Cresselia and Yanmega have a chance at being banned right away anyway.

I personally dont find anything except honch and yanmega broken, never had a problem with anything else. Really, everytime i face/use either i think they are more broken.

Zephyr

Life Stream
I personally dont find anything except honch and yanmega broken, never had a problem with anything else. Really, everytime i face/use either i think they are more broken.
Yeah, so like I said: It really comes down to playstyle, teamatchup, and personal experience differences on what we determine to be broken at the moment. It's really a matter of waiting for the actual testing to begin that we can get a majority of people into the discussion and voting before we can see the bigger metagame offenders.

Yanmega, Porygon Z and Cress all gets walled by Mandibuzz. Specs Yanmega and scarfed Porygon both fails to 2HKO it and you can easily toxic stall them. It has also no problem taking a + 2 ice beam from cress and can just knock off it's leftovers and toxic it. If it's behind a sub, just whirlwind it away. It's for sure one of the best walls in RU, especially with Blastoise leaving the tier when it updates. Hopefully it's gonna get some love again then. Beware of CB Druddigon, CB entei and Medicham though.

Any sashed poke/pokemon with sturdy easily beats Yanmega as long as stealth rock is off the field.
Scarf Porygon-Z is pretty awful. It should either be running Specs or some boosting set. Also +1 Ice Beam 2HKO's Mandibuzz so Mandibuzz doesn't "wall" porygon-Z.

The sturdy pokemon "argument" applies for EVERY pokemon in the game. So it's a pointless argument, especially when hazards are very common and focus sash isn't that good.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yanmega can 2HKO pretty much all of RU just by slapping on a Choice Specs, using Tinted Lens, and clicking Bug Buzz. It requires no skill whatsoever. Even if you manage to keep Stealth Rock on the field. A Yanmega player only needs 3 chances to win. Once before SR is set up, where it can put a dent into its check/ counter, once on the first switchin, where it puts its check/ counter into kill range, and one last time to finally plow through its check/ counter and proceed to solo your team.

With the counter situation I see your point, but as checks often are faster pokemon to revenge the threat, that argument isn't really valid. Thyplosion and Entei can force it out and dent the switch in, so essentially, you use the same strategy against Yanmega.
Does this mean you have no skill whatsoever if you do this? Just wondering.

Munchlax > Yanmega nuff' said.

Anyways, I've been trying some new strategies in RU and it seems like not too much can handle the combo of Druddigon and Zweilous' Outrages. Even Steelix has to be careful because of Earthquake / Fire Fang. I'll have to do some more testing though.

Zephyr

Life Stream
DragMag will always be somewhat effective where it can be pulled off. If you're careful you can easily capture things like Steelix and remove them, and then fire off STAB Dragon attacks.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
If you want to look at 'broken set of strategies' more than the 'brokenmons' themselves, look no further than rain dance teams. (I'm putting these broken in quotes because I don't quite believe them to be broken just yet, but people disagree on what's the definition of broken. Rain Dance teams have been a big force in DPP UU, and with BW RU shaping up like DPP UU Lite, I can't help but seeing the viability of Uxie/Kabutops/Ludicolo/etc type of straightforward Rain Dance team... and they've gone completely under the radar. Look at the usage chart!

To contribute to the Yanmega discussion, I don't believe Yanmega to be broken. The thing is, people always talk about Tinted Lens Mega for its power, but speed boost for the ease of revenge kill. Specs Tinted Lens Mega is incredibly easy to revenge if you're playing offense, and if you're playing defense, you should invest in a dedicated special wall anyways, let it be munchie, clefable, lickytung, audino or whatever. (lolaudino) We all know speed boost mega ain't so broken because when the argument for banning comes up, people somehow never talk about the speed boost variant--they all know that bug buzz+air slash isn't the BEST coverage ever, and there's too many counters.

Zephyr

Life Stream
If you want to look at 'broken set of strategies' more than the 'brokenmons' themselves, look no further than rain dance teams. (I'm putting these broken in quotes because I don't quite believe them to be broken just yet, but people disagree on what's the definition of broken. Rain Dance teams have been a big force in DPP UU, and with BW RU shaping up like DPP UU Lite, I can't help but seeing the viability of Uxie/Kabutops/Ludicolo/etc type of straightforward Rain Dance team... and they've gone completely under the radar. Look at the usage chart!
I completely agree. They're especially dangerous if you don't have a defensive based team, since most offensive team's dont particularly prepare for Rain Dance. (Even worse because most great Swift Swimmers like Kabutops have come to RU after being disallowed in conjunction to Politoed in OU)

After doing some preliminary testing, rain is REALLY good in RU its kind of ridiculous. After making a generic team of Kabutops Ludicolo Uxie Munchie Galvantula and Electrode its really powerful. Nothing really walls it and can absorb its hits and recover it off so it's a very viable playstyle.

ive never even SEEN RAIN.
and why would you use galvantula? thunder is good outside of rain so id rather abuse rain with something else.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Mainly, people don't realize that rain's even really strong because people don't go out of their way to build a rain team in RU--I mean, it makes logical sense: many people that play RU are here BECAUSE the BW OU Metagame is stained with rain&sand, UU with hail. (I'm not, but seems to be the consensus here). If you don't think rain is good, go out there and play a few games with a generic Rain Dance team! Main checks to swift swimmers include Ferroseed, Blasty, and generic special walls for pure special sets, but main Rain Abusers all have one way or another to muscle through some of them. It seriously does not disappoint.. especially Kabutops.

(Tip: your rain team will naturally need counters to Electric-types, and you need to make sure to counter Speed Boost Yanmega with a rain support mon. (and preferably SB Sharpedo as well) Otherwise you'll be in deep shit as soon as rain is down.)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Is anyone interested in writing a collab Smog article with me on an intro to RU? I know I'm not the very best to do an article, which is why I want another mind or two on this (Preferably one of the better players)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
see, this is why I ask these things. I thought I checked thoroughly....

EDIT: Okay, so I went and checked. Oglemi's article isn't really what I was looking for, his is more of a threat list, while I was going to make a team building thread.

i would run a sharpedo of my own on a rain team. just a thought.

lanturn seems like a good poke in rain. might even counter yanmega with a 252 hp 252 special defense set. havent done the calcs though.

Sharpedo can be pretty damn dangerous in Rain. After 2 turns, it outspeeds all Swift Swimmers, and with the Rain boost, that Hydro Pump is gonna hurt, hurt, hurt.

So in other words, it is a rain check?
Awesome.
Also, I made a mental note that when facing Yanmega, keep them rocks up.
Or life will become hell.

I like using phione to set up rain. It's main advantage is hydration rest so it can keep coming in to set up rain. I run max speed max hp with damp rock and rain dance/rest/uturn/waterfall.

Zephyr

Life Stream
I don't find rain completely overwhelming too a well built team, albeit its undeniable rain is still a very viable playstyle in RU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)