Project ORAS Rarely Used Teambuilding Competition [Week 3 Voting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Taken from New Breed / atomicllamas, approved by Molk and Silent Verse. OP "gently borrowed" from NU. Credits to Bummer for the amazing artwork.

Rarelyused Teambuilding Competition

Hello and welcome to the second (or is it third? whatever) edition of the Rarelyused Teambuilding Competition! The goal of this project is to observe and better understand how experienced RU players go about building their teams around a particular core. It's also a great way to improve and refine your own teambuilding skills, or just simply learn how others do it! Anyone is free to participate and I encourage as much discussion as possible; however, I'd like to point out that you do not have to post a team to contribute to this thread. Feedback is allowed and actually preferred in this thread, so if you have comments or concerns about someone's team, don't be afraid to post it! The process is as follows:

Each round, I will choose a core of two Pokemon (or only one Pokemon sometimes). It is then up to you to build a team around it, designing sets, teammates, roles, and everything in between. Identifying weaknesses, strategies, and so forth are key parts of teambuilding and I'm quite interested to see how that carries through in this thread. I also hope to emphasize a lot of creativity with this as well—new gems and underrated Pokemon and cores are popping up all the time, and hopefully this thread can bring about a lot of new discoveries about the metagame! After the submission period is over (which will be after around give or take a week) I will announce the voting period, where you will get a couple of days to vote on what you think is the best team. By the end of the voting period, the votes will be tallied and team with the most votes will be archived in the Hall of Fame I will be posting below, and the process will start again with a new core.

Some rules I'm expecting people to follow:
  • Make the post presentable, use XY sprites and have the team in importable format so it can be used and tested by voters.
  • Make sure you have a paragraph describing how your team functions and how it supports the core.
  • Don't insult users if their teams aren't up to standard, feel free to question why people are running certain things. In fact, I highly encourage discussion but don't be rude about it. Basically, just don't be a jerk.
  • Use hide tags when posting your team, otherwise we will all hate you.
  • Be creative! While there'll be no restrictions this time around, try to explore uncommon Pokemon if circumstances allow it.
  • I will post when you have a day left to get your teams posted. Don't procrastinate. It will only go badly.
  • You are allowed to edit your teams with testing and / or feedback from other people, however be sure to make note of these edits in the original post (i.e. keep an edit log or something in your post). Once the voting period begins however, you cannot edit your teams anymore.
The winner will be logged for the Community Contributor badge if they have remained active, helpful, consistant and promoted quality discussion.

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Hall of Fame:
XY:

Week 1:
Core:
Alomomola and Abomasnow
Winner: Spirit's team

Week 2:
Core:
Drapion and Gligar
Winner: atomicllamas's team

Week 3:
Core:
Accelgor and Sharpedo
Winner: Molk's team

Week 4:
Core:
Zangoose
Winner: Sweep's team

Week 5:
Core:
Reuniclus + Gurdurr
Winner: Pearl.'s team

Week 6:
Core:
Magneton + Moltres
Winner: justinjiaxinghu's team | Pearl.'s team | Sweep's team | fleurdyleurse's team | galbia's team

Week 7:
Core:
Mesprit + Durant / Cobalion / Doublade
Winner: Spirit's team

Week 8:
Core:
Rotom-Frost
Winner: The Leprechaun's team

ORAS:

Week 1:
Core:
Mega Sharpedo + Slurpuff
Winner: Arikado's team

Week 2:
Core:
Mega Camerupt + Alomomola
Winner: SGGT's team

Last edited by a moderator:

P is For Penguin

formerly MainEvent

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Kabutops @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Gallade (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Protect

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

Ok, so this is my first time trying this but i said what the heck ill give it a go. I played around a lot using Moltres and Magnemite trying numerous sets on each one and also building different teams around them. This one just happened to be my favorite. The first thing that had to be accomplished was choosing a hazard remover because that is the number one threat to Moltres. So after messing around Golbat and then thinking about how much i didn't want to use Gligar i decided that i should try a spinner. This is when i decided to try messing around with Kabutops. This fossil dude is a trooper always seeming to get the job done but then also being able to set up SR of his own to annoy the opposing team. He also gets aqua jet for priority and the last move slot I kept changing back and forth between waterfall and knock off. The Moltres set is standard scarf. The Magneton set is a specs set with the standard volt switch, t-bolt, flash cannon & hp grass. Also making an appearance on this team is Choice Band Gallade which packs a lot of punch. And what would a team be without a cleric. ENTER Aromatisse fitting in nicely to this team as not only a SpD wall but also clearing statuses and wish passing. Lastly to round out the team is Doublade with the standard SD set, doublade fits nicely on this team with priority in shadow sneak and also the ability to set up SD and clean up teams after threats are taken out. This team is fairly balanced and does quite well on the ladder. This is my first time i hope i did ok (:

A Problem for this team could be Cobalion sadly, but as long as Moltres stays healthy it should be able to handle it.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Water]

Kabutops @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Gallade (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Protect

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

Ok, so this is my first time trying this but i said what the heck ill give it a go. I played around a lot using Moltres and Magnemite trying numerous sets on each one and also building different teams around them. This one just happened to be my favorite. The first thing that had to be accomplished was choosing a hazard remover because that is the number one threat to Moltres. So after messing around Golbat and then thinking about how much i didn't want to use Gligar i decided that i should try a spinner. This is when i decided to try messing around with Kabutops. This fossil dude is a trooper always seeming to get the job done but then also being able to set up SR of his own to annoy the opposing team. He also gets aqua jet for priority and the last move slot I kept changing back and forth between waterfall and knock off. The Moltres set is standard scarf. The Magneton set is a specs set with the standard 3 moves sporting HP Water. Also making an appearance on this team is Choice Band Gallade which packs a lot of punch. And what would a team be without a cleric. ENTER Aromatisse fitting in nicely to this team as not only a SpD wall but also clearing statuses and wish passing. Lastly to round out the team is Doublade with the standard SD set, doublade fits nicely on this team with priority in shadow sneak and also the ability to set up SD and clean up teams after threats are taken out. This team is fairly balanced and does quite well on the ladder. This is my first time i hope i did ok (:

A Problem for this team could be Cobalion sadly, but as long as Moltres stays healthy it should be able to handle it.
Nice team, but I am very curious as to why you are running HP Water on Magneton instead of HP Grass. Also, I suggest using a Timid nature on Moltres as the defense drop from naive isnt worth it enough just for the slightly extra damage with u-turn. Also, I reccomend running Modest over Timid on Magneton as Timid does not outspeed anything significant.

P is For Penguin

formerly MainEvent
Nice team, but I am very curious as to why you are running HP Water on Magneton instead of HP Grass. Also, I suggest using a Timid nature on Moltres as the defense drop from naive isnt worth it enough just for the slightly extra damage with u-turn. Also, I reccomend running Modest over Timid on Magneton as Timid does not outspeed anything significant.
HP Water hits gligars for suppereffective i made the changes on moltres

phantom

Banned deucer.
Hidden Power Ice isn't that bad if you're using Magneton on a hazard centric team. For instance, you have your Doublade out versus a Virizion and the opponent has SR and a layer of Spikes on their side of the field that you want to maintain. Behind that Virizion, they have a Gligar waiting in the back which would love to swoop in on Doublade and get a free Defog off. In this instance, you can double switch to Magneton and surprise that Gligar with a KO, which keeps your hazards on the field and lets you play safely without having to make risky double switches. Having said that, HP Grass isn't that bad considering Magneton does have a handful of niche counters like Seismitoad, Lanturn, etc so it's good that it can at least dent them as opposed to giving them a free switch-in.

Hidden Power is niche, but it's not like it's completely useless, and Magneton doesn't really have any other option that's more consistent anyway.

Moltres @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Torterra @ Earth Plate
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 180 HP / 124 Atk / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis

Kabutops @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet

Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Infiltrator
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Bell
- Perish Song
- Toxic
- Hyper Voice

Hello all! I've decided to submit a team for this weeks competition [:

To be honest, I haven't really seen many blind bird + magneton cores, so I decided to try it out. I went with Choice Specs Moltres + Choice Specs Magneton to form a really damn strong one-two punch and they also formed a pretty neat VoltTurn core. Obviously, in order to truly take advantage of the sheer power these two gave, we needed Stealth Rock! Originally I considered Druddigon, but I found it's standard SR set a little bit bland and a tad bit weak. So, I did a bit of snooping around and decided on LORD TURTLE (Torterra if it wasn't obvious enough). The spread was given to me by cute user cuteflounder (user "I came from leddit" on showdown). 124 Atk allowed me a guaranteed 2HKO on Doublade after SR and the speed stat allowed me to outspeed Modest 252 Atk Clawitzer and FUCKING DESTROY Offensive Drapion (this thing is so annoying goddamn), KOing with Wood Hammer and EQ, respectively. Synthesis came me a shaky way to deal with Wood Hammer recoil and generally gave Torterra a bit more longevity. AV Kabutops was added next as a Moltres/Exploud/Meloetta check and gave Rapid Spin support that Moltres desperately needed. I also didn't notice that it formed a sexy F/W/G core with Moltres + Torterra until I finished the team. Spiritomb was the next partner as it had great synergy with Moltres, pursuit trapping annoying things such as Slowking and other Psychic types. Will-o-Wisp crippled physical attackers and sucker punch is a super strong STAB :^) At this point, I felt that I needed a defensive backbone, so I decided to use Support Cleric Meloetta. Heal Bell provides a way of getting rid of annoying statuses and Toxic is there cause it's Toxic. Hyper Voice is a reliable STAB that can still deal decent amounts of damage even with next to no investment and Perish Song allows me to deal with CM Cresselia which greatly annoys my team.

Hope you guys like the team yo :^)

Moltres @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Torterra @ Earth Plate
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 180 HP / 124 Atk / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis

Kabutops @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet

Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Perish Song
- Toxic
- Hyper Voice

Hello all! I've decided to submit a team for this weeks competition [:

To be honest, I haven't really seen many blind bird + magneton cores, so I decided to try it out. I went with Choice Specs Moltres + Choice Specs Magneton to form a really damn strong one-two punch and they also formed a pretty neat VoltTurn core. Obviously, in order to truly take advantage of the sheer power these two gave, we needed Stealth Rock! Originally I considered Druddigon, but I found it's standard SR set a little bit bland and a tad bit weak. So, I did a bit of snooping around and decided on LORD TURTLE (Torterra if it wasn't obvious enough). The spread was given to me by cute user cuteflounder (user "I came from leddit" on showdown). 124 Atk allowed me a guaranteed 2HKO on Doublade after SR and the speed stat allowed me to outspeed Modest 252 Atk Clawitzer and FUCKING DESTROY Offensive Drapion (this thing is so annoying goddamn), KOing with Wood Hammer and EQ, respectively. Synthesis came me a shaky way to deal with Wood Hammer recoil and generally gave Torterra a bit more longevity. AV Kabutops was added next as a Moltres/Exploud/Meloetta check and gave Rapid Spin support that Moltres desperately needed. I also didn't notice that it formed a sexy F/W/G core with Moltres + Torterra until I finished the team. Spiritomb was the next partner as it had great synergy with Moltres, pursuit trapping annoying things such as Slowking and other Psychic types. Will-o-Wisp crippled physical attackers and sucker punch is a super strong STAB :^) At this point, I felt that I needed a defensive backbone, so I decided to use Support Cleric Meloetta. Heal Bell provides a way of getting rid of annoying statuses and Toxic is there cause it's Toxic. Hyper Voice is a reliable STAB that can still deal decent amounts of damage even with next to no investment and Perish Song allows me to deal with CM Cresselia which greatly annoys my team.

Hope you guys like the team yo :^)
I really like your team, but I would strongly suggest running Scarf Moltres instead of Specs, because right now, your team is really slow. Namely, SD Virizion sets up safely on half your team and you literally have nothing to stop if from sweeping.

Last edited:

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor

So, I might not be the best at it but I love teambuilding, someone posted a link to this thread on the rarelyused room on ps and I've decided to give it a try :]
First off I decided to use scarf moltres + eviolite magneton, scarf moltres is a great revenge killer and late game cleaner and a huge threat to the current metagame in general and since magneton loves being virizion setup bait I figured a safety button against it would be nice. Next up I've decided to run aromatisse+regirock,bold aromatisse dealing with a bunch of threats to the pokemon I've had so far and seeing as how I was still lacking rocks and a moltres counter, and I love to run those slow balanced teams I felt like they could deal with exploud just fine. Next I was obviously lacking defog/spin support and doublade + psychic spam was looking like a bit of an issue so i went with skuntank on that slot. As for the last slot I wasnt really sure on what to use, but I figured I didnt really had a magneton switch-in I've decided to run expert belt rotom-mow, being able to pick off rhyperior or lanturn if i can bluff a scarf/specs after they switch into volt switch, which opens up a lot of room for my moltres.

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Overheat

Magneton @ Eviolite
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Serious Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Rock Slide

Skuntank @ Leftovers
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Spe
Serious Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Defog
- Punishment

Rotom-Mow @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Spiritomb @ Black Glasses
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Moltres @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Morning Sun
- Sunny Day

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Toxic

Magneton @ Choice Specs
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flash Cannon

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Defog

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Moltres and Magneton are two of my favorite Pokemon in RU so I decided to participate in this round. They have excellent synergy, they're extremely powerful, and together they're easily able to get rid of their checks and counters. I went ahead and slapped some Choice Specs on Magneton and gave it Analytic to maximize its power. I decided against Magnet Pull because there aren't many steel types to trap in RU. Plus it can't trap Doublade and it fails to 2HKO Registeel with Thunderbolt. Instead of the common Life Orb + Roost + 3 Attacks Moltres I chose a Life Orb + Sunny Day / Fire Blast / Morning Sun / Solarbeam moveset. I was enamored with the idea of Moltres firing Sun boosted Fire Blast's. Nothing wants to switch into a sun boosted Fire Blast except for bulky water-types like, Assault Vest Slowking. Which is why I gave it Solarbeam, so it can smash water types who hope to switch in and eat a Fire Blast or Hurricane. With Sunny Day support Morning Sun replenishes way more HP than Roost so I added that. Spiritomb is used to check the tiers physical threats while trapping psychic types (especially Slowking). Shiftry shares excellent syngergy with Moltres as well plus it has the added benefit of removing hazards so adding it was a no brainer. Plus it can possibly take advantage of a couple Sunny Day turns because of its ability, Chlorophyll. Slowking was added because it pretty much necessary to have a bulky water on every team to check Moltres. Slowking also acts as the teams bulky pivot. Rhyperior is a lorde, it's so bulky and can check alot of Pokemon in the meta, but its most important role is setting up Stealth Rock.

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
Friendly reminder: One day until deadline!

With that said, time to present you the team I've built for this round:

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Volt Switch

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Dugtrio (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

Cradily (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Rock Slide
- Recover

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

Skuntank (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Really simple (read: boring) team, but I'm quite happy with the final result nonetheless. Moltres + Magneton isn't too restrictive on teambuilding, but I've decided to go for the standard bulky offensive team, with Hidden Power Ground Choice Specs Magneton (which covers Lanturn and opposing Magneton) and a slightly innovative touch, Substitute Dugtrio, which does everything regular Dugtrio does, including trapping Skuntank and other Pokemon which rely on Sucker Punch as a priority move. Choice Scarf Moltres and Skuntank are the team's protection against offense, thanks to their combination of Speed, power, coverage, ability to remove hazards, strong priority move and ability to counter Psychic-types respectively. Really standard core which everyone is aware of by now. Specially Defensive Cradily is the team's utility check, keeping Exploud and Moltres at bay, Stealth Rock setter and primary Water-type switch in (which is cool because risking a Cresselia switch in into Scald can be really stressing. Finally, Substitute + Calm Mind Cresselia is the team's late game cleaner, using the pressure applied by Magneton and Moltres (which, by the way, form a really cool VoltTurn core) and Dugtrio's ability to trap stuff such as Registeel and Drapion, which would be the bane of Cresselia's existence otherwise.

Also, it's really satisfying to see some people interested in the project, keep on posting whatever you have, no need to be afraid :]

Last edited:
Decided to go in a bit of a different direction with this duo, featuring some weird sets.

Importable:
Ludicolo @ Damp Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Rain Dance

Moltres @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Sleep Talk

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Uxie @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Earth Power

As someone who likes using Rain in OU, the first thing I thought of when I saw Moltres was "free Hurricane spam!" Although this Choice Specs Moltres only has one offensive move, it's a ridiculously powerful one that gets neutral or super-effective coverage on most of the tier. The Pokemon that can stomach more than one Hurricane, such as Rhyperior, generally have a poor matchup vs. rain anyway. Sleep Talk ensures that Moltres can counter Amoonguss, even it it is put to sleep, and Sleep Talk will choose Hurricane every single time. Magneton holds Eviolite and carries Substitute to trap and completely counter Ferroseed, which would otherwise wall my two most powerful Swift Swimmers. Using Substitute and Volt Switch on the same set is ehh, but HP Grass isn't needed since Ludicolo and Seismitoed both beat Gastrodon and HP Fire is a terrible choice on Rain teams. Volt Switch on a relatively slow Pokemon isn't a bad idea IMO, considering I might be able to get Seismitoed or Kabutops in for free. Kabutops runs Knock Off since I'm not worried about Ferroseed (Magneton) or Registeel (Seismitoed); Knock Off + Waterfall in the rain will beat Doublade, whereas two consecutive Rain-boosted waterfalls cannot. Beating Doublade is very nice as this team, you know, carries a Moltres!

Seismitoed is the other main Swimmer and is very underrated. It has tremendous coverage, above-average bulk and can switch into teams that rely on Thunder Wave to check Swift Swimmers. It doesn't hit that hard, but the Rain boost helps its power immensely. Ludicolo and Uxie set rain reliably, though the former will not hit that hard without a boosting item. Support Cobalion is a threat for sure and will need to be played around. It's a weird team but manages to work. The sets are odd but complement the rest of the team + attempt to solve problems that Rain teams normally have.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
okay Pearl. convinced me to join so here goes e.e:

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Magneton @ Eviolite
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb

Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Kabutops @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin

Braviary @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Moltres + Magneton is an incredibly good core (though I prefer Rotom-C over Magneton), being able to gain momentum with great ease and opening up holes for the core's teammates. The main 'mon that troubles this core is Rhyperior, which needs good prediction to be dealt with; this, at times, can be tricky. As such, Pokemon that can deal with Rhyperior and other miscellaneous Pokemon are extremely beneficial; I chose to use Seismitoad, which is able to check some weird stuff, notably Rhyperior, and set up Stealth Rock, which is immensely useful. Then, a Pokemon to reliably deal with Hitmonlee variants is needed; as such, I used Spiritomb, which can also deal with Calm Mind Psychic-types, which otherwise trouble this team. Then, I added Hitmonlee as a spinner, which I later changed to Kabutops for its ability to deal with Moltres reliably and also clear hazards. It also hits quite hard. Finally, Braviary is used to deal with stall. Stall normally troubles these types of teams, due to their reliance on Pokemon that are weak to residual damage. Even though Spiritomb provides Taunt support, it does not have any recovery and so cannot really deal with stall. Braviary, however, can easily 6-0 stall teams, and also is a nice win condition.

To conclude, this team is basically normal VoltTurn offense; it can deal with almost anything, and it is extremely effective. With the right prediction, it is safe to say that this team can deal with most other teams.

Bulky Offense:

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Magneton @ Eviolite
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Atk / 56 Def / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch

I started building this team with Expulso thinking how well Magneton and Moltres lure in pokemon Virizion can set up / force out on such as Slowking and Rhyperior and i basically continued from there. Magneton also lures in Amoonguss incredibly easily putting it in range for a +2 Zen Headbutt or simply giving a free switch to Moltres making it keep offensive momentum until i am left with a +2 Virizion ready to sweep. I have chosen to use Virizion (which was the real Pokemon i thought about building around) as it is incredibly helpful with its ability to exploit teams that only use Gligar as a physical wall and rely on revenge killing from Fletchinder (well covered by Defensive Slowking and Magneton) or Choice Scarf Moltres. Gligar was added immediately after as it is Moltres' best friend providing Defog support for Moltres and VolTurn capabilities with Magneton and Moltres obv as well as another Doublade and Rhyperior check and physical wall of sorts. I added then Calm Mind Slowking as i really liked that set in the metagame and i have to say it checks Moltres well enough for this team as it usually has to come in on Fire Blast and not Hurricane and takes U-turn A LOT better as well as handily beating opposing Slowking and common switch ins like Aromatisse. Also provides a decent Psychic check and secondary win condition which is always good. Druddigon was added last as a reliable Stealth Rock setter with nice synergy with the team. I have Toxic because it is quite unexpected and fuck Cresselia/Mola/Gligar/ur Druddigon switch in. Team then was finished but as i felt weak to Calm Mind Psychic types like Reuniclus i changed Gligar to a Taunt set that beats Reuniclus 1v1 and gives me a shot at Toxicing Cresselia with Druddigon. Not really a great team but solid enough to be effective in RU atm.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Now the question becomes is Ari only voting for galbia so he can post Italian foods and get likes or does he actually like the team? Also that looks like mediocre pizza, the crust looks bad along with the sauce.

Sweep

Edit: Two can play at that game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)