1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

RarelyUsed CCAT - SS Omastar - Revision

Discussion in 'BW RU' started by Hot N Cold, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Level 51

Level 51 getting worse at mons day by day
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

wow fine DONT vote for me
    Custap Berry Crustle
    Calm Mind Gothorita
    Nozzle likes this.
  2. Silvershadow234

Silvershadow234 :]]]]]
    is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

CB esca because #snailpower
    SpD Roselia
  3. Slory

Slory

spd roselia
    cm gothorita
  4. ScraftyIsTheBest

ScraftyIsTheBest Screw Water Druddigon
    is a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

CB Escavalier
    Specially Defensive Roselia
  5. KidTheDeath

KidTheDeath

CB escavalier
    CM gothorita
  6. Explorer

Explorer

Ebelt Rotom-C
    Double Spiker Scolipede

Why I picked these:

Rotom: Rotom handles both Electric and Grass-types so Omastar can sweep easily, and Rotom baits Fire moves so Omastar can switch in and set up.
    Double Spiker Scolipede: Some of Omastar's counters, namely the aforementioned Slowking and Lanturn, as well as Amoonguss, all hate Spikes, making them much easier for Omastar (or another teammate) to handle. Scolipede also scares Slowking out with the fear of STAB Megahorn, and it serves as fire bait for Omastar.

For the record if I had a third vote it would go to Special Tangrowth, but it didn't get selected because I don't like both members of an offensive core being slow outside of TR.
  7. EonX

EonX @TheEonX
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Choice Band Escavalier
    EBelt Rotom-C

Already explained why I liked these when I submitted my entry.
  8. Hot N Cold

Hot N Cold PLUTO
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Winner so far is Choice Band Escavalier with 18 votes by @Cherub Agent

The set, here:

[​IMG]
    Round 3 Submissions begin.

Rules / Reminders:

• Submissions end 3-4 days from now.
    • There are no more slashes on Pokemon sets. Different slashes can take a team in different directions.
    • You will be unable to change the submission in anyway after the deadline until the revision rounds. So if there are any suggested changes are you set (moves, EV's, etc.) do it before the submission deadline!
    • Refer back to the OP for the main rules, format, and reminders.
    • When you submit your set, think about how it contributes to the function of the team. Also think about what direction you beleive the team should go, and reflect that in the submitted set.
    • Don't just let submissions be the only contribution to this round.
    Check the rest of the team in the OP.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  9. Celever

Celever

[​IMG]
    Manectric @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Lightningrod
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Switcheroo

Manectric is a good partner to this core in my opinion. This team will need a revenge killer at some point and everything gives good defensive synergy for Manectric. Omastar can lure electric attacks for Lightningrod, he mitigates the core's weakness to Moltres and can lock Tangrowth into Leaf Storm to get Escavalier in safely to hurt something. I don't have much else to say to be honest; this is very standard.

Edit: Starting a petition to rename this CACAT -- Cherub Agent Creates A Team.
  10. Hot N Cold

Hot N Cold PLUTO

better don't let to Cherub making their own team posting some great sets for the current ccat ;)

I'll post my set after for this round ~
  11. atomicllamas

atomicllamas NIPPLE BLADES OF FURY
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor

Okay, so right now this team lacks hazards, a Slowking switch in, and a switch in to certain fighting and ground types. I think I know a mon that can not only provide us with this, but also provide Omastar with a second chance to set up.

[​IMG]

Mesprit @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Psyshock
    - Thunderbolt
    - Healing Wish

Standard rocks support Mesprit with Healing wish over U-turn works really well as a supportive member of this team, being able to beat Qwilfish 1v1, beat Slowking 1v1, and provide rocks. Psyshock was chosen over psychic to dent the special walls that could give Omastar trouble, while thunderbolt is there to deal with bulky water types. I decided to use Healing Wish over U-turn allowing Omastar two chances for set up, this also allows us to put another set up sweeper on the team that could benefit from this, like Gallade or something.

I vote to rename this CACAT (Cherub Agent Creates A Team :p).

Edit: And Mesprit can pretend to be a snail if you are into that ;)
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  12. EonX

EonX @TheEonX
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

While I agree that we need more of a bulky SR user, I don't think Mesprit is the best choice in terms of synergy with our team. It struggles against Steel-types (like Escavalier) and it is serious Pursuit bait without U-turn imo. With the bulky offense turn of this team with the addition of Escavalier, I'm not a huge fan of Scarf Manectric either as I feel it's better suited for more of heavy offense teams. Anyways, on to my submission.

[​IMG]

Golurk @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Shadow Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch

Golurk provides some p. cool synergy for our current team. It's immune to both Electric- and Fighting-type moves while Escavalier 4x resists Grass-type moves while also possessing resistances to Dark-, Ghost-, and random Ice-type moves (Omastar has this resistance as well!) Golurk can even outspeed and beat Lanturn 1v1 while also easily handling Slowking if it tries to switch-in. Golurk also has solid offensive synergy as it handles Lanturn, Ferroseed, and Slowking for Omastar while also being able to beat most Steel-types in the tier for Escavalier. Stealth Rock is that all-important entry hazard that weakens stuff over the course of the match. Shadow Punch is a really cool STAB move as it crushes Slowking and also beats down Uxie. Earthquake is also rather important as it allows Golurk to OHKO Lanturn, a common check to SS Omastar and Golurk has enough Speed EVs to outspeed and KO it before being hit. Finally, Fire Punch is a really cool tool to handle Ferroseed.
    Nozzle likes this.
  13. Silvershadow234

is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

[​IMG]
    Rotom-Mow @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 212 Spd / 44 HP
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Volt Switch
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunderbolt

Rotom-c is a cool choice for the third mon imo simply because everything that almost everything that counters omastar is lured and weakened by this set, so much so that an omastar sweep is ez to get. Cryo, roselia, lanturn, slowking to an extent with hp fire, ferroseed-all counters to omastar that either get lured and killed by rotom-c, bar cryogonal-which gets pursuited and killed by esca. Rotom-c can take grass and ground attacks for omastar while oma resists fire for rotom-c, although that's not nearly as important as the fact that ebelt mowtom weakens all of omastar's counters.
  14. Nozzle

Nozzle

[​IMG]
    Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Regenerator
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 52 SAtk / 116 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Spore
    - Stun Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Provides para support and our team so far is a tad on the slow side so this is great and spore is always nice. Lures out Ferroseed and other steels and beats them with HP fire. Also absorbs tspikes which are pretty dangerous. Shiny because manly c:<

(I've actually built a team around Shell Smash Omastar and my two previous nominations, Dragonair and Liepard, with great success. Shroom is also a part of this team and has worked great)

o_O
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  15. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent come at me winter
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

CACAT ftw

just wanted to point out that moltres is really really threatening to what we have now. Omastar can't set up on the standard HP Grass version (doesn't lose to SubToxic though), and Escavalier is obviously mauled. Perhaps start to consider some teammates that can deal with Moltres at this point? A lot of the sumissions so far are fine, but do sort of overlap with Escavalier imo, which is already supposed to take out stuff that gives Omastar trouble, and only further weaken the team to Life Orb Timid 3 attacks Moltres. Possibly consider stuff like Slowking, Regirock, ~Lanturn~ (although I hate this), or at least things that can now beat Moltres one on one after Stealth Rock damage, like Life Orb Sigilyph, Rotom-N, Thunderbolt Uxie etc.

Also to show you lot what Omastar can do~~
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ru-48829614

In general I suggest just looking for Pokemon that can take out Pokemon with strong Grass/Fire coverage and that can switch moves (stuff like HP Fire Lilligant and Expert Belt Rotom-C also fall into this category). Dragon- and Fire-types come to mind as well, as Druddigon can for example take a Hurricane and KO back with Outrage, or Entei/Emboar can revenge kill Moltres after Stealth Rock and handle HP Fire Liligant as well.

EDIT: SOMEONE SUBMIT MAGCARGO; TRIPLE SNAIL FTW AND COUNTERS MOLTRES
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Wepwn likes this.
  16. Nozzle

Nozzle

While this should be taken into consideration we are only nominating the Third mon right now. And problems that you see are hard to fix with one mon (which is usually a pretty bad idea)
  17. Kushalos

Kushalos
    is a Pre-Contributor

Can you renominate a set that you posted earlier? Because i think that my Druddigon would be really nice indeed for this team, as Cherub Agent mentioned (lol just let him build this team im fuckin outta here)
  18. Celever

Celever

In the rules it says you can, so yes! xD
  19. Molk

Molk rip houndoom
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

[​IMG]
    Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 208 HP / 96 Def / 204 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Scald
    - Thunderbolt
    - Heal Bell

Given Cherubagent's mention of our current team having some Moltres troubles, i think it'll be a pretty good idea to take that into account during the rest of our teambuilding (you know trying not to add too many Moltres weak mons later on etc). Anyways, speaking of Moltres, there really isn't any Moltres check thats better than good old anglerfish (except maybe Regirock), which, along with a few other factors, makes me think that Lanturn could fit this team quite well as a pivot and glue, holding the team together and checking many Pokemon. As mentioned before, Lanturn can take on Moltres quite easily, even avoiding the 2HKO from LO HP Grass after Stealth Rock with the current EV Spread iirc, and posing a threat in return with a combination of Thunderbolt, Scald, and Volt Switch. Of course, Lanturn's lack of recovery means that it can only do this for so long, but it really only needs to take on Moltres until Omastar (or a future teammate) can get a clear opportunity to set up in this case, so i don't think this should be a big issue. Outside of Moltres, Lanturn provides a good check to other Fire-types such as Magmortar as well as a secondary check to Entei and Emboar, and importantly absorbs many of the Electric-type moves that plague Omastar and Escavalier at the moment. This is especially important as many of the Pokemon that can revenge kill a +2 Omastar and simply Volt Switch out of/overheat Escavalier, such as Scarf Rotom-N and Manectric, can't immediately get past Lanturn and even help it recover in some circumstances, making them significantly less threatening. Lanturn might have major trouble with Grass-type Pokemon such as Lilligant and Sceptile, but Escavalier beats them rather reliably bar random Hidden Power Fires, which could be covered later on in teambuilding, making this less of a problem. A slow Volt Switch is really nice to have as well, giving Omastar and Escavalier chances to get in for free as Lanturn either forces a switch or takes the hit for them. Something especially cool the team could pull off with Lanturn's Volt Switch is forcing a switch, luring in a Grass-type such as Sceptile, using Volt Switch, and Pursuit trapping with Escavalier, removing one big threat to both Omastar and Lanturn quite easily with little drawback.
  20. galbia

galbia Sorry you are not a winner
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
    Mentor

[​IMG]
    Camerupt (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Solid Rock
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Lava Plume

Thought it is NU i think Camerupt is viable in this tier as well as it can check Moltres, Magmortar and Electric types beautifully.
    Over Lanturn it has access to Stealt Rocks and, a more reliable (ugh) burning move and is cooler.
    Over Earth Power Hidden Power rock to destroy Moltres while retaining the ability of OHKOing Ferroseed (and do heavy damage to Regice who walls Omastar lol) which is important to open the way to Omastar to sweep.

(sorry for grammar errors but i'm Italian and...)
    Wepwn likes this.
  21. Hot N Cold

Hot N Cold PLUTO

Choice Scarf Manectric
    Support Mesprit
    Support Golurk
    Expert belt Rotom-C
    SpD Amoonguss
    Pivot Lanturn
    Support Camerupt

Everyone gets 2 votes. You must use all of your votes. Your votes must be on separate submissions and any order. You can vote your own set.
  22. Molk

Molk rip houndoom
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

Choice Scarf Manectric
    Expert Belt Rotom-C
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    Celever likes this.
  23. Silvershadow234

is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

Pivot Lanturn
    Expert Belt Rotom-c
  24. Celever

Celever

Jeeeez I am stuck here... I don't want to be cheap and vote for my own set but Atomicllamas' Mesprit is simply not good enough for this team IMO with that set... fuck it: Pivot Lanturn
    Support Mesprit
  25. ebeast

ebeast she's probably sexting nprtprt
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Ebelt Rotom-C
    Pivot Lanturn
    atomicllamas, Passion and TROP like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)