Project Rarelyused Pokemon of the Week #2: Xatu

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Approved by Molk

Past POTW:
This week's Pokemon of the Week is Shiftry.

Type: Grass / Dark
Base Stats: 90 HP / 100 Atk / 60 Def / 90 SpA / 60 SpD / 80 Spe
Ability: Chlorophyll / Early Bird / Pickpocket
Introduction
Shiftry is certainly an interesting pokemon, despite its low usage. It has great utility with moves such as Knock Off, Defog, Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and Tailwind. It is blessed with a myriad of boosting moves: Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, and Growth. It even has fantastic coverage, with only Togetic and Whimsicott resisting its Dark/Grass/Fighting combo. It perhaps misses the ground coverage offered by Nature Power as far as super-effective hitting goes, but it can make do.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the greatest of abilities. Sun is rare and either bad or untapped in RU, lessening the use of Chlorophyll. Early Bird would be more helpful if grass was not now immune to spore/sleep powder, though it could have use with Rest. It cannot even tank dark voids, as Smeargle has risen to UU. Pickpocket may be relatively useful compared to the other two abilities if shiftry is knocked off or uses a consumable, but it is still incredibly niche.

Its stats are just enough to get by. It has a fairly decent speed tier, giving it the ability to outspeed neutral base 80 and 90 threats such as kabutops, moltres, hitmonlee (87) and meloetta. Its attacking stats seem to leave much to be desired, but its good coverage and access to fantastic boosting moves alleviates this, and life orb allows it to hit surprisingly hard when unboosted. It is indeed frail, but it could be worse!

Shiftry's typing is interesting, and it actually offers great offensive utility. STAB Knock off and Sucker punch are not to be underestimated, and grass STAB allows it to plow through blanket physical walls like Rhyperior and Alomomola. It offers a bit of defensive utility with a valuable dark resistance as well as the ability to better take grass, ground, and water attacks. Beware of mach punches, though.

What to try:

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Defog
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

One of Shiftry's better niches is its hazard-removal abilities. Its great offensive presence makes it comparable to hitmonlee as a hazard-remover. Shiftry can force switches easily with its incredibly strong coverage, and can use that opportunity to defog. Leaf storm hits incredibly hard, and the -2 SpA is offset by its mixed capabilites. Knock off and Sucker Punch offer great utility as well as hitting incredibly hard.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch / Low Kick

Shiftry can run a devastating physically offensive set. Seed Bomb and Knock Off cover all common pokemon except for Whimsicott and dark/poison types (neither of which Shiftry should stay in on regardless, especially given that they are mostly all faster than the tree-bird). Low Kick or Brick Break can be run to deal with the dark types, but the utility of Sucker Punch is usually too much to give up. A good reason to use Shiftry over comparable physical sweepers is grass coverage. Pokemon like Rhyperior and Alomomola are usually hard stops to most physical threats, but Shiftry can easily ko both of them with its STAB. Braviary is worth a mention due to its role as a defog blocker. If it comes in on a defog, it gets a +2 attack boost, so Shiftry must play with caution.

Checks and Counters:
Unfortunately, Shiftry's stabs still leave it open to a few RU threats. Cobalion and Virizion are common standouts, as they both resist grass and dark, and even receive an attack boost from dark attacks due to justified. Tangrowth's incredible physical bulk also gives it the ability to consistently deal with shiftry. Fletchinder and Hitmonlee are great checks, as their respective priority moves are super effective against the tree-bird.

Teammates:
Perhaps the most obvious choice for a teammate is Moltres. They have great type synergy, and shiftry has the ability to defog, alleviating Moltres' rock weakness. Sunny day support is a possibility, as it makes Shiftry into the fastest pokemon in the meta. Water types in general such as Slowking are nice partners, simply for the type synergy that they provide, though Shiftry's low defenses make it difficult for it to contribute to any stable defensive core. Shiftry definitely appreciates spike/rock support given its ability to force switches. Qwilfish is a prime candidate for this job given it's synergy with Shiftry.

Intro:
Hey guys, MikeDawg here bringing everyone the next Pokemon of the Week! Format shamelessly stolen from TRC.

The XY OU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project in the Rarelyused forum. The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive mediocre influx of new players in the RU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads.

In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP. Think of this like an article highlighting a new threat. As such, discussion should be oriented towards highlighting its upsides, downsides, and niches. Oh yeah, you can also VM me what you think the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats.

Depending on how this project goes in terms of activity (OU is certainly more active than RU), it may be edited accordingly. Perhaps more than one pokemon will be featured a week, etc. We'll see how it goes!

This week's Pokemon of the Week is Xatu.

Type: Psychic / Flying
Base Stats: 65 HP / 75 Atk / 70 Def / 95 SpA / 70 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Synchronize / Early Bird / Magic Bounce

Introduction:
Xatu is a seemingly mediocre pokemon that finds an incredible niche: Magic Bounce. This ability allows it to bounce back hazards, status moves, etc. With the current rise of frosslass/shuckle teams, this ability is invaluable as it can not only prevent these pokemon from setting up while xatu is in play, it can even reflect the hazards/taunt back in a good switch.

It has a number of interesting options in its movepool. Calm Mind allows for possible setup opportunity. Light Screen and Reflect offer the bird an ever greater niche in supporting the team. Haze is invaluable against sub calm-minders and the like. Roost offers valuable recovery. Confuse Ray is my favorite move ever, and given the amount of switches that Xatu forces on defensive mons, it is certainly competitively viable. Heat wave offers it rare coverage over escavalier and the like. Tailwind, wish, and u-turn are also great options.

However, there is a catch. A number of these options cannot be used alongside Magic Bounce. Most significant are Wish and Baton Pass. Regardless of this setback, Xatu's main niche in Magic Bounce is still intact.

What to try:

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Psychic
- Grass Knot / Giga Drain

This generation in RU, Xatu surprisingly finds itself performing an offensive set very well. With its great coverage, though, this is unsurprising. 95 base SpA should not be underestimated when boosted by life orb. Psychic hits very hard, and its fire+grass coverage take down a surprising number of threats including Rhyperior and Escavalier. Of course, Xatu would find this set entirely eclipsed by Delphox, but Magic Bounce is its saving grace. Combining that much utility with comparable power to mons like Delphox, and you have a legitimate offensive threat. The choice between GK and GD is based on preference. Giga Drain cannot ko Spdef Rhyperior, but it fares fine against other variants. Without giga drain, Alomomola cannot be cracked without a crit, as psychic cannot 2hko after protect+letovers. Giga Drain also offers minor healing utility. Grass Knot is usually the better option, though, as Rhyperior is such an important target for Xatu that missing the 1hko is equatable to certain demise.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 Def / 248 HP
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Psychic / Foul Play / Night Shade
- U-turn / Heat Wave / Reflect / Light Screen

Xatu can also run a decent defensive set. This certainly increases Xatu's longevity, allowing it to consistently offer magic bounce support, but it vastly decreases its offensive presence. Regardless, it offers great utility. Rocky Helmet is a solid option for punishing mons like Virizion and Cobalion on the switchin. If it can come in on a multi-hit attack such as Cincinno's tail sweep, it will rebound incredible damage. It is also useful for discouraging fake out spam via Ambipom. The choice between twave and toxic depends on your team. Twave is valuable for crippling offensive threats like the muskateers, while toxic can deal with more defensive threats like alomomola. The rest of the set is purely of to your preference. Psychic offers consistent stab. Foul play does surprising damage to strong attackers. Night Shade will moderately damage any pokemon. U-turn in the fourth slot is invaluable as a momentum-grabber. Heat wave is a possibility for not giving mons like Escavalier a free switch-in. Reflect and Light Screen are certainly viable options for the purpose of increasing Xatu's bulk and supporting the team.

Checks and Counters:
Xatu hates pursuit. It's inability to use Baton Pass definitely cripples it in this regard. If rocks are already up, Xatu will not appreciate the constant 25% damage. Electric types like Heliolisk/Jolteon are major threats, though they will have trouble switching in to the offensive set. Rhyperior can be an issue for the defensive set, as Xatu has no grass coverage. This weakness is rather significant as it discourages Xatu from switching in to a possible stealth rock setter. Strong choice users in general pose a danger to Xatu, as it simply is not bulky enough to fend them off.

Teammates:
Xatu support is loved by mons that hate hazards. Moltres, Yanmega, Fletchinder, etc. hate rocks, and Xatu helps a ton with keeping them off the field. Xatu holds surprising power behind its attacks, and it can quickly dismantle an unprepared offensive team. Mons like Sharpedo are great for their ability to quickly clean up. Slowking is a hard stop to the offensive set, so a pursuit user such as Escavalier is well-appreciated.

Topics For Discussion:
  • What are good partners that you have found for Xatu?
  • What have you found puts a stop to most Xatu variants? How can you overcome them?
  • What is the most useful Xatu set?
  • What sorts of innovative sets can Xatu run? Trick flame orb? Calm mind sweeper? Sucka punch? Feather Dance?
  • How should Xatu be played?
  • When should Xatu be used relative to other threats?
Educated Theorymon is allowed, but make sure to focus on actual experience and testing. Remember that this is an informative project, and so practical use trumps unrealistic theory.

Last edited:
Having used a variant the first set posted, I'm willing to say it's easily the most viable of the three. LO STAB Knock Off coming off of base 100 Atk is nothing to laugh at, especially fully invested (what I run).

252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Braviary: 239-282 (69.8 - 82.4%)

The pressure Shiftry brings as an offensive defogger often lets it get Defog in I've found. Knock off is always aggravating but hurts more than expected as Zoroark is usually the STAB abuser, and it's got base 105 Atk! Sucker Punch is another great move, and with investment + STAB becomes a great emergency button on a sweep. I used it on a team weak to Sharpedo, and found that with some LO/Hazards damage, Shiftry often ended up saving my ass, despite it being a resisted hit. Leaf Storm is a great nuke to have in your back pocket, doing major damage on super effective hits, which is really when you should be using it.

252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 159-187 (56.5 - 66.5%)

With a mediocre base 80 speed, it can only wish it could compete with the likes of Delphox, Zoro, etc. However, with it's decent mixed attacking stats Shiftry can fill a role as an alternate win condition if you get rid of your opponent's faster pokes, or wear them down to Sucker Punch range.

This first set of course has it's problems too. Coballion and Virizion shit all over it, so when you see them in team preview make sure to Defog and GTFO. Another option is the double switch if you're comfortable with it, because almost always virizion/coballion will come in once you bring in Shiftry. By double switching you can set up a teammate with a good matchup, and keep your opponent on the defensive. Shiftry is the master of the double switch scenario, and is a good poke to learn the tactic/practice with, as a Virizion/Coballion switchin is almost guaranteed. This is a perfect opportunity for a pick-your-own-partner scenario, wherein anything that matches up well with those two fits the slot ;)

With 90/60/60 defenses, you want to keep it away from even the likes of neutral hits. However, with decent prediction, or a slow u-turn/volt switch, you can usually bring it in with enough breathing room to be comfortable with taking Life Orb damage.

The set I used is 252 Atk/ 72 Sp Atk/ 184 Spd, tbh I don't remember where I got the spread from but it works pretty darn well.

The SD and NP sets seem outclassed to me. The biggest problem with these sets is Shiftry's speed. Base 80 simply isn't enough to get the job done unless it's lategame. This primes Shiftry for a Sticky Web Offense, but as I haven't tried it out in that role I can't speak for it there. As far as SD goes, Virizion is the far superior SDing grass type, with bulk, speed, and a better secondary STAB to boot. NP faces competition as well from the likes of Mismagius and Zoroark.

Overall I think Shiftry has a definite niche as an Offensive Defogger that can function both as an emergency check to random sweepers, or as an alternate win condition.

PS: Shiftry may have the coolest shiny of all time.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is there any reason to use NP Shiftry? It doesn't get priority, and physical sets still own Alomomola anyway (and still beat Doublade with a bit of prior damage). Extrasensory doesn't really count because it's still losing to Virizion.

It seems to me like Yanmega and Cobalion counters Shiftry pretty hard.

Cobalion resists Grass I believe, and defenitly resists Dark plus that it has that nasty Justify ability. It can come in on a Knock Off, take it well, get a boost and kill Shiftry. It should be able to take a Leaf Storm too, if needed. And Close Combat is a guaranteed OHKO on Shiftry. Cobalion also outspeeds and I checked Damage Calcs and it seems luike Shiftry cant do anything to a Cobalion.

Yanmega outspeeds Shiftry. But it is more of a check as it cant switch in safely to a Knock Off without fearing getting killed by a Sucker Punch afterwards. But nothing Shiftry has seems to OHKO Yanmega while Yanmega OHKOs with both Air Slash and Bug Buzz. Though a +2 Shiftry OHKOs Yanmega with a Sucker Punch.

Like I said above, Coballion and Virizion dominate Shiftry, but you can use that to your advantage with a good partner or double switch.

As for Yanmega, it really doesn't want to switch into Shiftry.

252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 214-253 (68.1 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Admittedly, it can scare Shiftry out if it has decent health left.

252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 175-208 (55.7 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

However, if SR are up, or Yanmega has had some chip damage or LO recoil, it can't take a Sucker Punch.

Also imo NP Shiftry doesn't have enough speed to be a real threat, as a lot of pokes outspeed and KO thru it's fragile defenses.

Sapphire.

Es gibt Licht, wo immer Sie sind
is a Contributor Alumnus
I found out Poliwrath and Slowking are excellent partners for Shiftry. They have excellent type synergy together, and can be great offensive partners too. However, Shiftry has very subpar defenses. A full stop to most Shiftry variants are Defiant Braviary, which can outspeed, KO, and can get an Attack boost via Defiant if Shiftry uses Defog. Cobalion is one of the best counters to Shiftry, using Knock Off or Sucker Punch as an advantage to activate Justified. It can also KO Shiftry with Close Combat, takes pitiful damage from its STAB moves, and even keep momentum with Volt Switch. Ferroseed is a nice counter to Shiftry as well, though it hates Eviolite getting Knocked Off and can't really do much to the boosting Shiftry sets. The Shiftry user can't really get past these things unless they predict really well. The most useful Shiftry set is probably the offensive Defog one. There are little Pokemon in the tier who can run an offensive (mixed) Defog set. The Swords Dance and Nasty Plot ones are good as well, but I just like the Defog one, since I usually make stall or balanced teams. Some cool innovative sets Shiftry can run is Leaf Storm + Power Swap, though Shiftry doesn't have enough bulk to do this super good, but I can see it working. Tailwind is a really nice option too, to help Shiftry's (maybe slower) teammates as well as itself. Shiftry should be used very sparingly, since it's really frail. Use it Defog or Swords Dance when you're sure that it will force a switch; just keep it as high HP as possible so it can provide valuable support / sweep late game. Use Shiftry over other Grass-types if you want it to be an offensive Defogger, otherwise stuff like Tangrowth, Virizion and Sceptile outclass it.

Sorry for the long post!

TL;DR (answering OP's bullet points in order):
  • Slowking and Poliwrath.
  • Cobalion, Braviary, and Ferroseed. Good prediction is required to overcome said counters.
  • Offensive Defog set.
  • Cool innovative sets such as Power Swap and Leaf Storm can be run, though it's really frail to utilize this well.
  • Shiftry should be played very carefully and sparingly, since it's extremely frail.
  • Use Shiftry only if you're looking for a good offensive Defogger, otherwise other Grass-types like Sceptile, Tangrowth and Virizion outclass it.

Last edited:
While I hold no delusion that pickpocket is a good ability, a good way to lose a item on shiftry is the nefarious leaf storm/white herb combo. Even though the mere sight of shiftry holding a white herb strikes fear into the hearts of evildoers, you're still better off with a life orb, because if you're not going mixed with shiftry you're instantly outclassed.

It's a shame its abilities are so bad. I usually just run pickpocket cause it sounds cooler.

While I hold no delusion that pickpocket is a good ability, a good way to lose a item on shiftry is the nefarious leaf storm/white herb combo. Even though the mere sight of shiftry holding a white herb strikes fear into the hearts of evildoers, you're still better off with a life orb, because if you're not going mixed with shiftry you're instantly outclassed.

It's a shame its abilities are so bad. I usually just run pickpocket cause it sounds cooler.
Isn't Sucker Punch illegal with Pickpocket though. I usually just run Chlorophyl because he is immune to Spore and Sleep Powder anyway.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Isn't Sucker Punch illegal with Pickpocket though. I usually just run Chlorophyl because he is immune to Spore and Sleep Powder anyway.
Yeah, Sucker Punch is illegal with Pickpocket as far as i know as it's only available from gen 4 tutors, as a matter of fact Defog (the main reason you should be using shiftry) is illegal too :/. Eh, it's not like pickpocket is any better than Chloro or Early Bird anyway lol.

Either way, i made a few teams with Shiftry this morning because i was bored, if i get around to testing them i'll post my thoughts here later =).

I really love this guy. He's such a good partner to Moltres, as he defogs SR for him, and they have excellent offensive synergy. Many checks/counters to Moltres are handily beaten by Shiftry, like Lanturn, Rhyperior, and Slowking (Although it can't really switch into them that we'll because of scald burns/Stone edges/Fireblasts.) I really just wish Nature power was still EQ though :/

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
This week's Pokemon of the Week is Xatu.

Type: Psychic / Flying
Base Stats: 65 HP / 75 Atk / 70 Def / 95 SpA / 70 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Synchronize / Early Bird / Magic Bounce

Introduction
Xatu is a seemingly mediocre pokemon that finds an incredible niche: Magic Bounce. This ability allows it to bounce back hazards, status moves, etc. With the current rise of frosslass/shuckle teams, this ability is invaluable as it can not only prevent these pokemon from setting up while xatu is in play, it can even reflect the hazards/taunt back in a good switch.

It has a number of interesting options in its movepool. Calm Mind allows for possible setup opportunity. Light Screen and Reflect offer the bird an ever greater niche in supporting the team. Haze is invaluable against sub calm-minders and the like. Roost offers valuable recovery. Confuse Ray is my favorite move ever, and given the amount of switches that Xatu forces on defensive mons, it is certainly competitively viable. Heat wave offers it rare coverage over escavalier and the like. Tailwind, wish, and u-turn are also great options.

However, there is a catch. A number of these options cannot be used alongside Magic Bounce. Most significant are Wish and Baton Pass. Regardless of this setback, Xatu's main niche in Magic Bounce is still intact.

What to try:

Xatu @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Psychic
- Grass Knot / Giga Drain

This generation in RU, Xatu surprisingly finds itself performing an offensive set very well. With its great coverage, though, this is unsurprising. 95 base SpA should not be underestimated when boosted by life orb. Psychic hits very hard, and its fire+grass coverage take down a surprising number of threats including Rhyperior and Escavalier. Of course, Xatu would find this set entirely eclipsed by Delphox, but Magic Bounce is its saving grace. Combining that much utility with comparable power to mons like Delphox, and you have a legitimate offensive threat. The choice between GK and GD is based on preference. Giga Drain cannot ko Spdef Rhyperior, but it fares fine against other variants. Without giga drain, Alomomola cannot be cracked without a crit, as psychic cannot 2hko after protect+letovers. Giga Drain also offers minor healing utility. Grass Knot is usually the better option, though, as Rhyperior is such an important target for Xatu that missing the 1hko is equatable to certain demise.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 Def / 248 HP
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Psychic / Foul Play / Night Shade
- U-turn / Heat Wave / Reflect / Light Screen

Xatu can also run a decent defensive set. This certainly increases Xatu's longevity, allowing it to consistently offer magic bounce support, but it vastly decreases its offensive presence. Regardless, it offers great utility. Rocky Helmet is a solid option for punishing mons like Virizion and Cobalion on the switchin. If it can come in on a multi-hit attack such as Cincinno's tail sweep, it will rebound incredible damage. It is also useful for discouraging fake out spam via Ambipom. The choice between twave and toxic depends on your team. Twave is valuable for crippling offensive threats like the muskateers, while toxic can deal with more defensive threats like alomomola. The rest of the set is purely of to your preference. Psychic offers consistent stab. Foul play does surprising damage to strong attackers. Night Shade will moderately damage any pokemon. U-turn in the fourth slot is invaluable as a momentum-grabber. Heat wave is a possibility for not giving mons like Escavalier a free switch-in. Reflect and Light Screen are certainly viable options for the purpose of increasing Xatu's bulk and supporting the team.

Checks and Counters:
Xatu hates pursuit. It's inability to use Baton Pass definitely cripples it in this regard. If rocks are already up, Xatu will not appreciate the constant 25% damage. Electric types like Heliolisk/Jolteon are major threats, though they will have trouble switching in to the offensive set. Rhyperior can be an issue for the defensive set, as Xatu has no grass coverage. This weakness is rather significant as it discourages Xatu from switching in to a possible stealth rock setter. Strong choice users in general pose a danger to Xatu, as it simply is not bulky enough to fend them off.

Teammates:
Xatu support is loved by mons that hate hazards. Moltres, Yanmega, Fletchinder, etc. hate rocks, and Xatu helps a ton with keeping them off the field. Xatu holds surprising power behind its attacks, and it can quickly dismantle an unprepared offensive team. Mons like Sharpedo are great for their ability to quickly clean up. Slowking is a hard stop to the offensive set, so a pursuit user such as Escavalier is well-appreciated.

Topics For Discussion:
  • What are good partners that you have found for Xatu?
  • What have you found puts a stop to most Xatu variants? How can you overcome them?
  • What is the most useful Xatu set?
  • What sorts of innovative sets can Xatu run? Trick flame orb? Calm mind sweeper? Sucka punch? Feather Dance?
  • How should Xatu be played?
  • When should Xatu be used relative to other threats?

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Why even Giga Drain > Grass Knot :?
Might as well:
252 SpA Life Orb Xatu Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 413-487 (95.1 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Also it 2hkos alomomola (which grass knot can't)

It's def an option if you are afraid of spdef rhyp

the healing is nice too

Grass Knot is DEFINITELY the better option as
252 SpA Life Orb Xatu Psychic vs. 104 HP / 152 SpD Alomomola: 222-263 (44.6 - 52.9%) -- 83.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
while
252 SpA Life Orb Xatu Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 468-554 (108 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
and Giga Drain does only 80% Maximum
252 SpA Life Orb Xatu Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 292-347 (67.4 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Grass Knot is DEFINITELY the better option as
252 SpA Life Orb Xatu Psychic vs. 104 HP / 152 SpD Alomomola: 222-263 (44.6 - 52.9%) -- 83.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
while
252 SpA Life Orb Xatu Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 468-554 (108 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
and Giga Drain does only 80% Maximum
252 SpA Life Orb Xatu Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 292-347 (67.4 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
I getcha. Changed the set to reflect GK > GD.

Keep in mind, though, that against alo, psychic will not actually 2hko because of protect/wish and the like.

Sapphire.

Es gibt Licht, wo immer Sie sind
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hehe. I wrote an UU analysis on Xatu!

Pokemon that appreciate the hazards off the field such as Yanmega, Moltres, Magmortar, etc make good partners. In addition, Dark-types such as Shiftry, Zoroark, and Sharpedo make good partners because they have excellent type synergy with Xatu, switching into the Dark- and Ghost-type moves aimed at it, and in return, Xatu can switch into the Fighting-type moves directed at them with ease thanks to its quadruple resistance to it. Also, Pokemon that can use Volt Switch or U-turn make great partners, creating a VoltTurn core (for the defensive set). Electric- such as Jolteon and Heliosk can force Xatu out with their powerful STAB moves and keep momentum with Volt Switch. Rhyperior can make short of the defensive set, as it is immune to Thunder Wave, and Steel-types such as Registeel don't really care about Thunder Wave's effect and can keep wearing out Xatu, as well as taking little damage from its moves. The offensive set is a bit harder to deal with, but specially defensive Slowking fares well against it, taking only decent damage from Giga Drain and can heal off damage with Slack Off. The most useful set is probably the defensive one, as the offensive one is basically outclassed by Sigilyph, which sports higher Special Attack and Speed, as well as Magic Guard. Xatu can run some cool sets with Feather Dance, which forces a lot of switches. Trick + Flame Orb can also be used, but then again, Sigilyph does a better job at using Psycho Shift and passing the burn to the opponent. Sucker Punch isn't a really good option because of Xatu's low Attack stat, but it could be used to pick off weakened foes. Calm Mind is another cool option, though Sigilyph does better with that or with Cosmic Power. Use Xatu carefully, because it is very valuable. If you predict your opponent using a non-damaging move, switch into Xatu so it can deflect it. Use Xatu only if you don't have room for a Rapid Spinner / Defogger, and if you want an offensive Psychic / Flying, go with Sigilyph instead.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll agree on most of the points Sapphire. brought up on Xatu, but the offensive set does have its uses. For many offensive teams, Xatu is actually one of the best hazard prevention options, as such teams absolutely hate Sticky Web, and Xatu naturally stops it before it starts, with Shuckle being able to do next to nothing as Xatu wears it down. I feel as though the offensive set is like a more tactical Braviary, using its coverage to break down defensive cores rather than just relying on sheer power. In fact, the offensive set fares quite well against most other lead options out there, with the glaring exception being Froslass. Otherwise, it destroys Rhyperior, makes life hard for any Cobalion without Stone Edge (read: those with Rocks) and prevents the likes of Registeel and Bronzong from doing much of anything (watch out for Gyro Ball from Zong though!)

The defensive set is ok I guess, but man it really has some 4MSS. It quite simply can't fend off Rhyperior and generally ends up in a long stall war with the likes of Registeel and Bronzong, bulky rocks setters that the offensive set can beat rather handily. I mean, more balanced teams can use the set since the increased bulk lets Xatu hang around a lot longer to deal with bulkier hazard setters, but I really do dislike losing out on the coverage that the offensive set provides against common hazard users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)