Project Rarelyused TeamBuilding Competition [New Thread Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay this week we will be doing a core courtesy of user: Hot N Cold

+

No one really said if they liked one or two mons to build around better, but feel free to let me know.

Nominations now open n_n

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I personally like having two mons to build around as it makes the team already have a direction. That being said when picking two mons try to pick some where multiple styles of play can be used. (I know you got a lot of flack for the HO core a couple of weeks ago). This curren core is pretty cool and can be built around a couple of different prominent play styles as well as some lesser played styles.

I like 1 mon, as there are many more styles of play u can build around... For example, lets say you have a HO core, obviously it would fit on a pretty physical team or a HO team. While lets say the Pokemon was Roselia. Not only could Roselia be played on a stall team, it could also be played on a HO, Balanced, anything really.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I like 1 mon, as there are many more styles of play u can build around... For example, lets say you have a HO core, obviously it would fit on a pretty physical team or a HO team. While lets say the Pokemon was Roselia. Not only could Roselia be played on a stall team, it could also be played on a HO, Balanced, anything really.
I mean I feel like I can just slap one pokemon on as an after thought to any team I build, obviously I wouldn't vote for teams like that but it can still be done. Whereas 2 mons means you have to have pokemon who actually synergize, cause while you can get away with having one mon not synergize it's much harder to get away with two.

I mean I feel like I can just slap one pokemon on as an after thought to any team I build, obviously I wouldn't vote for teams like that but it can still be done. Whereas 2 mons means you have to have pokemon who actually synergize, cause while you can get away with having one mon not synergize it's much harder to get away with two.
To me if you have a core, it restricts how you build your team. Like not even play-style wise but what the core's teammates are as well. Yes, many Pokemon can just be slapped onto a team; however, it doesn't make the team any better if a Pokemon is just slapped on. In fact, it may only make it worse.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
oooh Gurdurr+Reuniclus, interesting =).

Anyways, just like the round before i may or may not post a team, but either way i'm definitely happy to help others think of ideas!

1) You'll definitely want some way to deal with Birds/Fire Mons. Reuniclus and Gurdurr cover each other decently well, but both of them are pretty slow and neither of them is gonna want to be on the recieving end of a Fire Blast from Delphox or Moltres, and while Reuniclus may be p. bulky, it can definitely still be broken through by things such as Braviary's Brave Bird, Fletchinder's Acrobatics, and Moltres's Hurricane if it gets worn down too much, while Gurdurr simply doesn't stand a chance against these same attacks.

2) If Reuniclus isn't Calm Mind (or even if it is, you can never be too safe) you'll want to make sure you have Aromatisse covered, it completely walls Gurdurr pretty consistently.

3) If you wanna try something a bit unconventional, Pearl.'s Choice Specs Future Sight Reuniclus might do the trick for you. Sending off a delayed attack can really put the opponent in a lose/lose situation. You can use the turn that Future Sight hits as an opportunity to get Gurdurr in pretty easily, and the opponent will often have to choose between sacrificing something to Future Sight or sending in a Steel- or Dark-type Pokemon as you send in Gurdurr, blocking the Future Sight but still putting them in a bad position regardless for obvious reasons. Smart double switching with Gurdurr can also catch people trying to take advantage of the free turn Future Sight's initial use brings pretty easily.

4) Reuniclus is pretty Sturdy when you invest in its defenses, but it still takes quite a bit from Hitmonlee's Knock Off and such, you might want to add some extra insurance for that if your team is a bit slow.

5) The Bug/Steels are threats to Reuniclus no matter what set it runs, Gurdurr can deal with them to some extent but doesn't enjoy taking repeated Iron Heads and the like.

Transmuter

Banned deucer.
Bulky offense:

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Toxic

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn

So, I'm new to the tier and competitive battling in general, I'm actually being tutored by galbia and he's the one who thought I should take part in this so here it goes:

For Gurdurr and Reuniclus I have chosen the bulk up set and the calm mind set respectively, they are stardard sets but I think they work well together and with the rest of my team. Then I added Rhyperior because it beats almost every Flying- and Fire-types in the tier, and we all know that Gurdurr doesn't enjoy taking a hit from those. I also added Magneton as a check to the Bug-/Steel-types but it also works as a secondary check to Flying-types not named Moltres. Then I looked back and I have noticed that the team was weak to Fighting-types and Doublade so I decided to put in Gligar, which also works well with Magneton and has Defog which comes in handy as some Pokemon in this team are easy to wear down and don't like hazards too much. The final slot in my team was given to specs Meloetta because it's a good wallbreaker for Psychic checks that beat Reuniclus but also works as a secondary check to Doublade and special attackers such as Moltres.

Last edited:
Never posted here before, but i've been lurking so i'll try it this time as a practice :

http://pastebin.com/K6tvZADF

Ok so the point of this team is actually quite simple. Gurdurr got his classic bulk-up moveset, no need to comment on that imo, which let him wallbreak easily. I choose the CM set for reuniculus, with focus blast over shadow ball because it have better coverage than shadow ball. Reuniculus is pretty underwhelming against his fellow psy types with this moveset, and psy mons are a threat to gurdurr anyway so i decided to add spiritomb there with a pretty common psy-trap set. Pursuit / sucker punch pretty much covers every offensive scenario, foul play is to deal decent damage to the likes of boosted dblade, hitmonlee, escavalier etc. At this point, i decided to go for an offensive team, so i picked up my boy Kobe to that lead power he brings. Taunt / SR almost always guarantee the upper hand in the hazard battle, and we got spiritomb to spinblock anyway. We add braviary for the lategame clean up, and useful defiant ability. Here i take LO on braviary because i want him to be able to just clean up the fight, and being locked on a move isn't helping. At this point, i honestly didn't know what to add as my last poke so i went for eelektross, which provides nice offensive coverage which kinda helps me to deal with anything my other mons can't cover, have quite decent defenses with the assault vest, and is just an annoyance. I chose to get thunderbolt over volt switch because it OHKO moltres.

This is actually the first team i built so any feedback will be appreciated :)

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion

Gurdurr (F) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

Reuniclus (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Skuntank (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Seismitoad (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb

Audino (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off

Tried to come up with something innovative for this round; went around testing pretty much every existent hidden gem in RU, including Suicide Lead Archeops, Hybrid Qwilfish, Roselia, Ferroseed, Lilligant, OTR Reuniclus, and probably some more. Failed miserably at it though. Here are the reasons why:
  • Gurdurr limits you to balanced teams. Hyper Offense is a no-no due to the amount of momentum Gurdurr loses for its team. It also gives Gligar free switch ins, nullifying the work done by the hazard setters (and most of them are really lacking in longevity as well).
  • It's also really hard to innovate inside the balanced team realm since, while both Gurdurr and Reuniclus are really nice Pokemon, bringing both power and some longevity to the table, the amount of Pokemon they check between both of them is limited, giving little room for innovation regarding the team's defensive backbone.
  • It's really hard to go for Spikes stacking balance too, since the typical Rapid Spin users are really lacking in synergy with both the Spikes setters and the win conditions, and Spikes + Defog is really counterproductive as well.
With all of this in mind, this is the team I've come up with. I've decided to go for my Future Sight Reuniclus set because every contemporary stall team is prepared (or should be) against Calm Mind Reuniclus, making it a lackluster stallbreaker on its own, while this Reuniclus set can put heavy amounts of pressure against the typical stall team when coupled with equally powerful offensive threats. The Gurdurr set is self-explanatory, and has good synergy with Reuniclus too, scaring away the Dark-types able to tank Future Sight. The later move also helps it break through some of its biggest nemesis, Aromatisse and Gligar. The rest of the team is really standard, with a core of Skuntank + Fletchinder providing me with needed priority moves against offensive teams, hazard control and yet another solid win condition to go along with the pressure Gurdurr + Reuniclus cause. Finally, due to the team's lack of both Stealth Rock and longevity, I've went for a defensive core popularized by Spirit (he's stolen my Regirock + Granbull too, so we're even I guess), Seismitoad + Audino. The former puts heavy amounts of pressure on Gligar, far more than any other Stealth Rock setter, while also scaring away Pokemon that can tank Future Sight and checking the likes of Drapion and Doublade too. Audino, aside from the obvious stuff (Wish supporting), also serves as this team's Moltres check.

Regarding possible problems for this team: Choice Band Sawk might be hard to play around, but Audino's Protect and Fletchinder's priority (seriously, the more I use this Pokemon the more I get sure it's like the 3rd best Pokemon in the current metagame). The team's sort of a hybrid between my RUgged Mountain team and Spirit's RMT, but it's really solid as well, so the lack of creativity is sort of softened in the end.

Last edited:

This week's core looked really fun to use so I decided to make a more balanced team with it, here's the team:

We start off with Calm Mind Reuniclus and Bulk Up Gurdurr, both of which are pretty easy to set up with in the tier. Basically, Reuniclus is one of the best, if not the best, Calm Mind users in the tier. It sets up on some common walls like Alomomola, Aromatisse, as they both can't really hurt Reuniclus for much damage if it all, and it's really great 110 / 75 / 85 bulk makes it almost impossible to KO in one hit, unless it's a boosted hit or something. After a few Calm Mind boosts, it's pretty much GG. As for the moveset, we run recover and Calm Mind, which are both really standard on bulky Reuniclus, Psyshock to hit with a powerful STAB while ignoring Special Defense, which can come in handy in Calm Mind wars, and the coverage move is Shadow Ball to hit other Psychic-types like Cresselia, Ghost-types like Doublade, both of which would completely walls us if we had Focus Miss Blast. Gurdurr in the other hand, has pretty good HP for an unevolved Pokemon, high Attack, and respectable defense. Gurdurr has this nice thing called Guts, essencially making it our status absorber. As for the moveset we run Bulk Up, which is p much a staple in every Gurdurr set, Drain Punch as a way of recovery while dealing heavy damage, Knock Off to hit things likes Doublade, Cresselia, opposing Eviolite users like Gligar, Roselia, etc. And Mach Punch as a way to revenge kill things like Sharpedo, which could be a big threat if it starts speed boosting.

Then I thought, "What the fuck do I do against Durant?". So Choice Scarf Magneton came to mind. Reuniclus gets straight up murdered by X-Scissor and Gurdurr can't take consecutive Iron Heads, so I figured Magneton can outspeed, trap, and kill the little bastard with HP Fire. It also helps with things like the rare Ferroseed, Qwilfish, Weak Armor Omastar, Fletchinder, etc. As for the set, I chose Scarf because it outspeeds most of the tier, along wit Magnet Pull to trap steel-types like the aforementioned Durant and Ferroseed. We run a very standard set of Volt Switch to give our team some momentum, Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon for STAB and to dispatch Fairy-types, and Hidden Power Fire for reasons already stated above.

Then I had no way to heal my teammates when I get low on health so the ever-so-awesome, Rocky Helmet Alomomola came to mind. With Rocky Helmet and Regenerator, Alomomola can make Pokemon like Doublade, Hitmonlee, Physical Sharpedo, and other Physical sweepers, pretty much hurt themselves more than they hurt me, taking 18% from Rocky Helmet and using Wish to heal their Scratches and Rocky Helmet will take it's toll on those attackers. As for the EVs, we run 104 HP which gives us a Leftovers number, max Defense to take as many Physical hits as possible, and the rest is dumped into Special Defense. As for the moveset, it's very standard, running Wish + Protect to annoy the competition and support my team, granting humongous Wishes and chip damage with Rocky Helmet and Scald (if I burn em).

Like every team always need a Hazard remover and a Stealth Rocker, I chose a Specially Defensive Sandslash. Yes, you heard right, a Sandslash in RU. It's not that I was stupid and not run Gligar instead, but Gligar is overrated, at least in my opinion, and I'm a fan of underrated things ike Sandslash in RU. Unlike Gligar, Sandslash has access to Lefties recovery and trust me, it helps in the long run. As for the ability, it really doesn't matter at all, since weather is practically non-existent unless you count Mega Abomasnow. As for the EVs, we run just about enough speed to outspeed defensive Lanturn and EQ it before it tries to burn us with Scald, Max HP and the rest into Special Defense to give us some nice Special Bulk. We run Rocks and Rapid Spin, both of which are pretty darn standard, EQ for STAB, and Knock Off for things like Cresselia, who can normally switch into Earthquakes, it also hits things like Gligar to take off it's Eviolite.

Last but not least, I chose Sub Bulk Up Braviary. When I was laddering to post this team, I had a ton of fun with it, sweeping a few teams, because people don't really prepare for it and after a few bulk ups, it can sweep easily provided all the Steel-types are gone, so we have Magneton for that. Defiant is a great thing to have because it keeps my opponent from defogging knowing that I have a Braviary, who can punish them for doing so by getting +2 Atk free of charge. EVs give me 404 HP, which means Seismic Toss won't break my Substitutes, enough to speed to outspeed un-invested base 85s like Gligar and Cresselia and the rest into Special Defense to sponge weak special attacks like Alomomola's Scald, Amoonguss' Sludge Bomb, and things like that. We run Substitute, Bulk Up and Roost, for standard reasons, and Brave Bird, which is a very good spammable move, recoil stings a bit, specially against pokes with really high HP like Aromatisse and Amoonguss.

upload_2014-10-31_21-52-31.png

That's the peak my team got, it's a pretty fun team to use. I'll put some replays to show you how my team handles:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-178718709
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-178520861
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-178724193
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-178717066

And the importable, try the team out for yourselves! The team is has the theme of Super Dangan Ronpa 2, my favorite PS Vita game.

Sonia (Reuniclus) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Nekomaru (Gurdurr) (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

Kazuichi (Magneton) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Tsumiki (Alomomola) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 104 HP / 248 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Protect
- Wish

Ibuki (Sandslash) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Gundham (Braviary) @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost

i've had this in my teambuilder for a few days now, finally have time to post:

|
|
|
|
|

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Iron Head

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Thunder

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

bulky offense. lead bronzong is here to set rocks and deal with aromatisse. i choose it over registeel because dugtrio checks a some members of this team nicely and levitate makes zong immune. skuntank and moltres have good synergy and support the core nicely, providing defog support and more fire power (literally fire) which can come in handy for eliminating regi and zong, which can only take a couple tres hits. eelektross is a bulky pivot that lets this team beat a lot of other stuff, i'm not going to name everything but just know it really keeps shit together. the reuniclus carries thunder, (credit to Molk for that idea) which is really cool because if reun runs f-blast it gets walled by doublade and if it runs shadow ball it gets walled by...a ton of stuff really, but thunder can hit doublade and dark types or whatever else would wall psy/s-ball. i think this team sorta captures the current meta, and then mixes it with eelektross, which has been sorta declining as far as i've seen but is still a really good pivot imo.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Reuniclus @ Kee Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Dugtrio @ Earth Plate
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
- Giga Drain

Regirock @ Shed Shell
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald

Pretty cool defensive team, the idea is that Kee Berry Reuniclus can be almost impossible to beat for offensive teams once it has 2 Calm Minds up and the Kee Berry activated (raises Def by one if hit by a physical move, not psyshock though as I learned the hard way). Gurdurr is the standard Bulk Up set, but it has really good synergy with Reuniclus as it is counters the Dark-types that could cause trouble for Reuniclus (Drapion / Skuntank / Sharpedo). I decided to take a more defensive route for this team, as Reuniclus is kind of slow and kills momentum if you don't need to set up right away, so Alomomola + Amoonguss + Regirock counter most major threats in the tier, and provides SR / Wish / Toxic Spikes absorbance. Dugtrio is used in the last slot, as it is capable of trapping and removing troublesome mons for Reuniclus, such as Registeel, Drapion, and with the use of Substitute to dodge Sucker Punch, Skuntank. Shed Shell is on Regirock to avoid those annoying U-turn special attackers + Dugtrio trend, and Alomomola can pass it wishes so it is still somewhat helpful. Not really the greatest team tbh, but its a lot of fun to play with and it does pretty good on the ladder (like 9-0 iirc). So yeah.

Also this round has been open like 6 days so:

Voting is open!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)