Rate my 6: Speedy/Offensive All-Around Team

Hello, first time poster but I have been consulting this page the past few months. Played Blue version as a kid, stopped, and picked up White 2. Got my dream team with the help of some friends, please let me know what you think.

Note - Though I previously said I don't rely on legendary Pokemon, I really do appreciate the recommendations. In the end, as long as the boys are OU, its all the same competitive bracket anyways IMO. Besides, I must admit that given all the choices to pick your team with, some personal bias can be allowed. I see the appeal of Jirachi and Keldeo, but I don't like them because they don't look "manly" enough. There....I said it :P (no offense to those that use em).

Alakazam - Psychic

Nature: Timid
EV: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Ability: Magic Guard
Item: Focus Sash

Psyshock
Focus Blast
Shadowball
Hidde Power Fire

My personal favorite Pokemon that just happens to be OU and is extremely versatile. Fast and can hit like a tank, especially with a Calm Mind use. With my Starmie having a second psychic STAB move with Psychic, Alakazam gives psychic versatility with the effects of Psyshock. A great counter to special defense walls and Fighting/Poison types.

Normal, Ice, Rock, Dark, Steel types are covered with Focus Blast, and Shadow Ball counters opposing Psychics and Ghosts, allowing Alakazam to be SE against a variety of opponents.

HP fire is to primarily combat any bug and steel types, like dispatching any pesky Ferrothorn/Scizor with ease.

Will not be used as my starting Pokemon, more-so a counter in the middle to end of the battle.

Starmie - Water/Psychic

EV: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Ability: Analytic
Item: Life Orb

Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Psychic
Rapid Spin

My second psychic sweeper. Fast and has a great special attack, magnified with Life Orb. STAB Psychic provides the Fighting/Poison coverage, as well as opponents with weak special defense that Alakazam can't get through.

Grass/ground/flying/dragon is covered through Ice Beam, and Hydro Pump is the mostly-accurate secondary STAB move with great type coverage. Finally Rapid Spin makes Starmie my signature hazard remover.

***I thought of Thunderbolt, but decided that a Psychic STAB move was more important, given the prominence of fighting types in today's competitive battle scene, and I can't rely just on my Alakazam, given that I have no flying types to counter them.***

Magnezone - Electric/Steel

Nature: Modest
EV: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Ability: Magnet Pull
Item: Focus Sash

Flash Cannon
Hidden Power Fire
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt

My 4th gen SpA with OG roots, he specializes in trapping steel types and finishing them off with HP fire. Volt Switch STAB damages and gets him out of tight spots, thunderbolt is his primary attack, and flash cannon deals with pesky rock/ice opponents.

Focus sash will be a nice surprise to any opponent looking for a quick ground attack KO.

Garchomp - Dragon/Ground

Nature: Adamant
EV: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Ability: Rough Skin
Item: Choice Scarf

Outrage
Earthquake
Iron Head
Stone Edge

My teams resident Dragon and physical attacker, made much faster with Choice Scarf. Higher then average speed allows him to move first more often then not, using his versatile attacks to put a quick dent in the opening parts of the battle (I see Garchomp as a solid starter to this team).

Has the signature STAB outrage and earthquake coverage. Stone edge is for countering flying and especially ice types, and iron head will be a nice counter to the emerging fairy type.

Volcarona - Bug/Fire

EV: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Ability: Flame Body
Item: Life Orb

Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Fiery Dance
Giga Drain

A solid powerhouse with excellent type coverage and stat boosters. I chose timid over modest nature because Life Orb all ready provides enough of a power boost, and edging out another speedy opponent can mean all the difference in a tight match.

To compensate for Life Orb's drawback, that is where Giga Drain comes in, providing Volcarona with the perfect mix of speed, power, and HP recovery, while at the same time dealing with water/rock/ground counters. Beautiful combo if I do say so.

Bug Buzz is the signature STAB and deals with pesky Psy/Dark types. Fiery Dance is more accurate then a Fire Blast, and if the stat boost occurs, the damage gap between the two is thus immediately closed. And in opportune times, a quiver dance can be a serious game changer and turn Volcarona into a nice sweeper.

Lucario - Fighting/Steel

Nature: Adamant
EV: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Ability: Justified
Item: Lucarionite

Close Combat
Bullet Punch
Ice Punch
Power-up Punch

A cliche choice, but necessary to fit my needs of a staple fighting type with the effectiveness of steel. This would be my sole Mega of my 6, designed to be constantly bringing the pain with no let-up.

Power-up punch is a personal and probably controversial choice to have instead of swords dance. Damage comes in while still getting a boost and not using a precious turn to set up.

The rest is self explanatory where Ice punch combats the ground threats, priority bullet punch now packs the power of an extremespeed, and close combat is the primary attack to take advantage of the attack that the Mega evolution provides.

Last edited:
Your Magnezone needs fixing quite desperately. The only reason Magnezone is really used is to trap very common Steel-Type walls and KO them with Thunderbolt/HP Fire so that your other 'mons can sweep a lot more easily. A Magnet Pull Magnezone will fir your team very well, allowing Garchomp in particular to net those important KOs.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

This is probably the best kind of Magnezone for your team as it is very powerful and offensive, being able to get 2 KOs most of the time, but still has the much needed bulk that your team currently lacks. Substitute is to set up on Ferrothorn and Forretress to avoid status and be able to take a hit of whatever comes next after you finish them off. Thunderbolt is the best STAB and is obvious. HP Fire is for the Steel-Types like Ferrothorn, Forretress and Scizor. Flash Cannon is for extra coverage and is used over Charge Beam here because you don't need another sweeper and could do with the Super-effective moves against Tyranitar, Terrakion, Mamoswine etc.

Other than that, you should change Shell Bell to Leftovers on Starmie for more reliable HP gain.

Your Magnezone needs fixing quite desperately. The only reason Magnezone is really used is to trap very common Steel-Type walls and KO them with Thunderbolt/HP Fire so that your other 'mons can sweep a lot more easily. A Magnet Pull Magnezone will fir your team very well, allowing Garchomp in particular to net those important KOs.

This is probably the best kind of Magnezone for your team as it is very powerful and offensive, being able to get 2 KOs most of the time, but still has the much needed bulk that your team currently lacks. Substitute is to set up on Ferrothorn and Forretress to avoid status and be able to take a hit of whatever comes next after you finish them off. Thunderbolt is the best STAB and is obvious. HP Fire is for the Steel-Types like Ferrothorn, Forretress and Scizor. Flash Cannon is for extra coverage and is used over Charge Beam here because you don't need another sweeper and could do with the Super-effective moves against Tyranitar, Terrakion, Mamoswine etc.

Other than that, you should change Shell Bell to Leftovers on Starmie for more reliable HP gain.
Thanks for the feedback! Curious why Magnezone needs Speed EV training when his base speed stats are so low? I do understand the Magnet Pull and attacks though, I suppose it compensates for not being able to take a ground attack that Sturdy provides.

Can you please explain to the the concept of "bulk". I hear this term being thrown around alot but can't seem to find a dedicated definition of it and what it means competitively.

As for the shell bell, it is only because random matchups don't allow duplicate items on your team, otherwise I totally agree.

Thanks for the feedback! Curious why Magnezone needs Speed EV training when his base speed stats are so low? I do understand the Magnet Pull and attacks though, I suppose it compensates for not being able to take a ground attack that Sturdy provides.

Can you please explain to the the concept of "bulk". I hear this term being thrown around alot but can't seem to find a dedicated definition of it and what it means competitively.

As for the shell bell, it is only because random matchups don't allow duplicate items on your team, otherwise I totally agree.
Bulk is how much HP, Defense, and Special Defense a Pokemon has. Take Ferrothorn for example, it has amazing bulk, but then look at Alakazam, who has horrible bulk. Wait, are you using this on Wi-Fi or on Pokemon Showdown? Because if you are on Pokemon Showdown, you can repeat items no problem. Also, I would suggest writing about a paragraph detail for each Pokemon, providing what it does/how it aids the team/it's purpose/it's role/explain moveset, item, ability, and all that good stuff, not just I like him, so i used him. You could say that, but more like: I love ________ and I decided to use it, and found it worked to a great extent! I love Snivy, but I can't throw him onto every team and say 'I like him'. To be honest, if you are playing OU, get used to legendaries. What pisses me off the most is people who are like: "Legendaries are Ubers, shouldn't be allowed in OU!" and I am not saying you are one of those people, just letting you know to get used to Legendaries, they're everywhere. And, your favorites ≠ fit on the team together. In OU, it is hard to cut it and using your faves can cut it if they are name scizor or tyranitar, not saying you should add those, but a team of favorites really most of the time won't work )=
I'd recommend the following changes:
Alakazam-
Signal Beam -> Encore / Calm Mind
Signal Beam doesn't really hit anything harder than it's other coverage moves. Encore can trap a Set-Up Pokemon into it's Set-Up move, from there you can proceed to Knock it out with your attacks. Calm Mind gives you a +1 or possibly more, and will make it hit like a truck before it dies. Really up to you.
Psychic -> Psyshock
Psyshock nails the Pink Blobs a lot harder, making it much more useful.
Starmie-
Shell Bell -> Life Orb / Leftovers
Life Orb I would pick personally. It provides the extra power and makes Starmie hit a whole lot harder. Leftovers would provide recovery however, but Starmie reallly should be a hard hitter.
Psychic -> Thunderbolt
BoltBeam provides much better coverage in general.
Natural Cure -> Analytic
Analytic nails Ferrothorn on the switch, making it much more useful.
Magnezone-
Sturdy -> Magnet Pull
Magnet Pull is Magnezone's niche and you should play it to strengths.
Thunder Wave -> Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
I don't really see how the paralysis support is aiding your team, it is pretty fast as it is.
Garchomp-
Dual Chop -> Swords Dance
Dual Chop is inferior to Dragon Claw due to the lower accuracy, but I suggest ditching this moveset and starting from scratch.
Choice Scarf -> Yache Berry / Lum Berry
Yache Berry is more useful so it can actually survive an Ice Hit, but Lum Berry has it's merits, such as blocking Burn.
Speedy Tank -> Set-Up Physical Sweeper
Just a little nitpick, Garchomp isn't particularly a tank unless you make it one.
Volcarona-
Life Orb -> Leftovers
Yeah, you have Giga Drain, but when you aren't using it, it gets worn down fast, especially with Stealth Rock
Fire Blast -> Fiery Dance
Fire Blast is inferior in about every way. Fiery Dance has perfect accuracy and a chance to raise Special Attack which is much more useful in case Fire Blast misses at inopportune times.
Conkeldurr-
Guts -> Iron Fist
Guts Cnokeldurr is just no. It has two much better options.
Toxic Orb -> Life Orb
Life Orb provides great extra power.
Facade -> Ice Punch
Ice Punch hits Flying-Types hard and gets better coverage than Facade.
Payback -> Bulk Up
This one is kind of iffy. I understand why you have Payback, it is good. But most Conkeldurr run Bulk Up as it really does help it. Tough call man, I'm gonna let somebody else decide this one.

And I know you don't want to, but I really think you should add Keldeo over Magnezone. And here is why: Keldeo is much faster and powerful, yes it lacks the bulk that Magnezone has and the Steel-Typing, but Keldeo hits really hard and would help with your problematic Hippowdown, who walls all of your team bar Starmie, who can easily be taken down by Hippowdown's partner in crime, Tyranitar. It also kills off Blissey who walls your team bar Conkeldurr. Sorry, I know you probably won't take this suggestion, but I just feel like Keldeo deserves a spot on your team.

Here are the changes I made above:
Code:
Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
And if you want:
Code:
Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Hope I helped you :)

Last edited:

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For God's sake, please accept Legendaries. Using Jirachi instead of Alakazam might work better.
Try this set:
Code:
Hope (Jirachi) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Def / 180 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Psychic
Again, do what you want.

Bulk is how much HP, Defense, and Special Defense a Pokemon has. Take Ferrothorn for example, it has amazing bulk, but then look at Alakazam, who has horrible bulk. Wait, are you using this on Wi-Fi or on Pokemon Showdown? Because if you are on Pokemon Showdown, you can repeat items no problem.

Hope I helped you :)
Yes, you have helped very much, thank you for your input. I took most of your advice, and will write a detailed paragraph to explain my choices shortly.

Can you explain Pokemon Showdown? Because I do want to get into online battling that doesn't have the 3vs3 restrictions that random matchups have. I am aware that there is a forum here that is for people seeking friend codes to wifi battle though.

Yes, you have helped very much, thank you for your input. I took most of your advice, and will write a detailed paragraph to explain my choices shortly.

Can you explain Pokemon Showdown? Because I do want to get into online battling that doesn't have the 3vs3 restrictions that random matchups have. I am aware that there is a forum here that is for people seeking friend codes to wifi battle though.
Here is the link to pokemonshowdown.com
Basically, what it is, is a community of battlers. You use Teambuilder to make your teams and then you try to 'climb the ladder'. Each battle is rated and gives you a score, or your ladder ranking. There is no item restriction, no 3v3 restriction, but some stuff normally not banned such as Evasion and Swift Swim + Drizzle, are banned. Once you get it, you can feel free to PM me for more help! i really shouldn't be talking about it here, after all this is an RMT, not a help thread. PM me if you need assistance, or any other staff member here can help you as well!

Question: Which member of my 6 is best suited to open? I'm curious to see a few opinions.

Also, for Garchomp, which is better: Choice Band or Choice Scarf? Also is Dragon tail worth having......thinking swords dance might be better suited

Question: Which member of my 6 is best suited to open? I'm curious to see a few opinions.

Also, for Garchomp, which is better: Choice Band or Choice Scarf? Also is Dragon tail worth having......thinking swords dance might be better suited
They are all suspect to change, as all RMT's are as well, unless specified otherwise. Both have there merits, but in general I find Swords Dance w/ Yache Berry far outclasses both Scarf/Band. And please, don't ever give Garchomp Dragon Tail. Please.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is Heatran manly enough?
Code:
Sloth (Heatran) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dragon Pulse

They are all suspect to change, as all RMT's are as well, unless specified otherwise. Both have there merits, but in general I find Swords Dance w/ Yache Berry far outclasses both Scarf/Band. And please, don't ever give Garchomp Dragon Tail. Please.
I just dont see he appeal of the berry, as it merely reduces damage from 400% to 200%, which can more often then not still knock him out. It also is consumed, meaning I have to get a stash of the things and re-equip him after every match.

I decided that speed is a huge priority and his moves need to have enough coverage to make use of it. Thanks for the recomendation though; and thx for making me see the light with dragon tail lol

I just dont see he appeal of the berry, as it merely reduces damage from 400% to 200%, which can more often then not still knock him out. It also is consumed, meaning I have to get a stash of the things and re-equip him after every match.

I decided that speed is a huge priority and his moves need to have enough coverage to make use of it. Thanks for the recomendation though; and thx for making me see the light with dragon tail lol
Here is why I find Yache Berry usable:
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yache Berry Garchomp: 179-213 (50 - 59.49%) -- guaranteed 2HKO w/ Yache Berry
Garchomp and most other dragon's enemy is Mamoswine, now it can survive and KO Back. And it takes away half of the damage, making it only just weak to it.

looks like replacing Fire fang with Iron Head with Garchomp will suit him well for X and y fairies.

The mega stone as a item remains to be seen.

Also think putting a focus sash on Magnezone will do wonders with any faster pokemon with a ground attack.

****Possible swaps for X and Y: Mega Heracross replacing Conkeldurr and Mega Charizard X replacing Volcarona.
This swap accounts for all types (fire/bug/fighting) but also adds a 2nd dragon type into my team. Good thing is that Mega Charizard X takes neutral ice AND fairy damage :). If their stats are good enough to warrant a swap, then those will be my only two mega evolution Pokemon.
Alakazam and Garchomp are frankly more useful as they are. Alakazam's focus sash and magic guard work wonders in protecting his bad bulk. Garchomp with his ground typing is essential, and his choice scarf allows some timely speed that his mega wouldn't have.****

Last edited:
looks like replacing Fire fang with Iron Head with Garchomp will suit him well for X and y fairies.

The mega stone as a item remains to be seen.

Also think putting a focus sash on Magnezone will do wonders with any faster pokemon with a ground attack.

****Possible swaps for X and Y: Mega Heracross replacing Conkeldurr and Mega Charizard X replacing Volcarona.
This swap accounts for all types (fire/bug/fighting) but also adds a 2nd dragon type into my team. Good thing is that Mega Charizard X takes neutral ice AND fairy damage :). If their stats are good enough to warrant a swap, then those will be my only two mega evolution Pokemon.
Alakazam and Garchomp are frankly more useful as they are. Alakazam's focus sash and magic guard work wonders in protecting his bad bulk. Garchomp with his ground typing is essential, and his choice scarf allows some timely speed that his mega wouldn't have.****

Hey, just saying, you should wait until X/Y comes out and the tiers are established before saying what you might change. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)