Rate my first team!

*This is a 3DS wifi team*

My team focuses on entry hazards and continuous switching on my part between defensive pokemon (if and when required) to get the opponent to switch and build up residual damage. I have a priority thunder wave user and the chance for a burn from scald to aid me against fast or physically offensive pokemon, and both a physical and special sweeper to finish off weakened foes.

Infernape @ choice band
Iron fist
Jolly
252 atk 252 speed 4 hp
-u turn
-close combat
-flare blitz
-thunder punch *possible change to Mach punch- reasoning explained below*

My lead pokemon and physical sweeper, infernape generally has the speed advantage and can u-turn first, allowing me to bring in skarmory, tyranitar or tentacruel (physical wall, special wall or tenta if I feel a fighting move coming next). If I'm confident I'll be able to ohko the opponent and am faster, I'll use the relevant s.effective move. Choice band works amazingly because infernape isn't one to stay in battle for very long, he'll switch in and out, or come in just for a revenge kill.

Biggest threat: greninja- it's faster, hits like a truck. I may switch thunder punch to Mach punch just for greninja, but am uncertain whether a Mach punch will ohko, given it's weak defenses, stab, choice band AND iron fist I'm pretty sure it would...?

Skarmory @ leftovers
Sturdy
252 def 224 hp 32 sp.def
Impish
-spikes
-whirlwind
-roost
-brave bird

My physical wall, skarmory is one of my 3 switch in options after infernape's u turn, and takes most physical hits like a champ. Part flying, it's also a great counter to the common EQ that threatens infernape (as well as tentacruel, tyranitar and klefki). My most common move to go first is spikes, and as long as I feel comfortable to do so, I'll set up all 3 if possible. Whirlwind is used any time I see pokemon that like to increase stats (gyarados, garchomp etc). Roost to allow recovery if the opponent decides to stay in and try to whittle my health down, leftovers provides ample health restoration too- something that works especially well if I switch in to a poison or ground move. Once all spikes have been laid I can still use skarmory as a phazer to rack up entry hazards damage or switch in to grass types for s.effective hits.

Biggest threat: anything with a fire/electric move! My counter to these are tyranitar & tentacruel.

Tyranitar @ leftovers
Sand stream
252 hp 252 sp.def 4 atk
Sassy
-stealth rock
-crunch
-stone edge
-fire blast

My special wall, with the sand stream ability t-tar can take most special hits with ease (excluding focus blast). I'll bring him in anytime a fire move threatens skarmory, a psychic type threatens infernape, or a pokemon is in that I've previously scouted and know isn't a threat. I try to get stealth rocks up first if I feel the opponent has no fighting attacks, and can either switch out or continue attacking if I feel I can take numerous hits. Crunch and stone edge provide excellent coverage between the two, and fire blast is amazing for numerous grass/steel types that try to set up or hold fighting moves (ferrothorn/scizor). I was originally going to use rest instead of fire blast but tyranitar can go entire battles without fainting, leftovers works wonders on him, so I opted for a fire type move.

Biggest issue: fighting types! This is where tentacruel comes in.

Tentacruel @ black sludge
Liquid ooze
252 hp 224 def 32 speed
Bold
-rapid spin
-scald
-knock off
-sludge bomb

This guy is amazing. Takes fighting attacks really well, and can counter with a possible burn from a stab scald, or a possible poison from sludge bomb. I love switching tentacruel in to conkeldurr's with drain punch or grass types with leech seed/ giga drain- liquid ooze is a Godsend! I usually lead with knock off, causing hindrance, sometimes fatally, to opponents. Tentacruels goal isn't really to score ko's, he's more there as my team aid so the battle becomes easier- knocking off as many items and inflicting status damage whilst direct damage. Sludge bomb provides fairy/grass type coverage. Rapid spin to remove entry hazards- or a predicted knock off to incoming ghosts trying to block my spin. Even with recovery from black sludge, tentacruel is sadly my fall guy- he'll switch in to take a ko (once he's completed his role) so I can bring in a faster pokemon for a revenge kill. One loss to regain the advantage after entry hazards damage and status infliction is worth it IMO.

Gengar @ gengarite
Levitate/ shadow tag
Timid
252 sp.atk 252 speed 4 hp
-shadow ball
-focus blast
-thunderbolt
-sludge bomb

My special attacker and mega evolution. I try not to mega evolve him right off the bat- that precious levitate ability is helpful- if I'm certain an EQ is incoming I can bring him in, score a ko on the weakened foe and switch out until other opponents have racked up entry hazard damage. Once mega evolved and facing weakened opponents, he out speeds most opponents and has massive sp.atk, granting numerous oh ko's, his moves allow him diverse coverage- super effective striking fairy, steel, rock, dark, normal- the list goes on. Thunderbolt is there primarily for defog users.

Klefki @ leftovers
Prankster
Bold
252 hp 252 def 4 sp.def
-thunder wave
-substitute
- swagger
-foul play

Originally used just as a light screen/barrier setup with toxic before fainting, I changed klefki to get in priority t-wave. I've seen this set before, tried it and loved it. It can be risky but the rewards are equally as great! Klefki is another pokemon that acts as a fall guy if need be, but unlike tentacruel, can last a long time in battle if it can set up. Klefki doesn't really fit in with the rest of the team- which is why he works so well- if he faints it's not a big loss to the team as a whole but with him around he can happily spread paralysis with a jingle of his keys.

It's not the greatest team in the world but I win most battles. My biggest threat has been greninja, but I'm hoping a Mach punch on infernape might help. Greninjas priority water move still causes issues. Aegislash can be a hindrance but klefki seems to handle him amazingly well, tentacruel somewhat well if I get a burn status in, and skarmory just as a phazer so aegi builds up more entry hazard damage.

Please feel free to provide constructive criticism! I welcome any changes w/reasoning.

Last edited:

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
I'm assuming this is a Battle Spot team or Competetive non smogon team, but just by looking at your team, Jolly Mold Breaker Excadrill hurts your team badly. If its equipped with choice scarf, Ttar is damaged hard, Gengar is hit hard, Tentacruel and Klefki. You have skarmory aswell, but when you roost, your vunerable to SE ground type attacks. But scarfed excradrill is not common on the 3ds, so yeah.
**infernape is also weak to ground, just realized
You need to change your team up

Thanks, didn't come close to realizing that! I've been looking at other RMT posts and seeing how teams are put together, hopefully I can make something better. I'm just very find of spikes/stealth rock, especially at the ease in which they go up with my users so hopefully I can keep a user for each in future teams. (Generally prefer stall teams/DoT teams etc, rather than hyper offense)

I'm not sure if this is the place to post WiFi / Battle Spot teams. Just in case the mods lock this, try to post it on the XY Other teams subforum.

Anyway, here's my rate. You have an abundance of walls, with few pokes to do real damage. Your team looks like a bulky offensive team more than stall. I suggest running a bit more offense on your Tyranitar (this is also a shameless plug about the TTar set I use lol).
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SAtk
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Crunch / Pursuit
- Fire Blast
EVs are a bit weird but they do have some merits. Running max SDef with Sassy is kinda overkill. 160 Atk ensures an OHKO on Lati@s. 96 SAtk also guarantee Fire Blast 2HKOs SDef Ferrothorn after Leftovers.

Infernape's Mach Punch is a guaranteed OHKO on Greninja after SR. I think that you should replace it as the only thing Thunder Punch hits is Tentacruel (off the top of my head).
Klefki @ leftovers
Prankster
Bold
252 hp 252 def 4 sp.def
-thunder wave
-substitute
- swagger
-foul play
I highly discourage the use of SwagPlay. I don't want to get into a heated debate but it's really based on luck and hardly involves any skill. I'd replace Swagger with Play Rough or something. But to solve your Aegislash problem, I recommend CM Clefable. She turns any Aegislash without a Steel type move into setup fodder whether its Swords Dance, Autotomize or even SubToxic thanks to Magic Guard.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight (or Softboiled, whatever recovery move you have lol)

vs 252+ SpA Aegislash
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 174-205 (44.1 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs 252+ Atk Aegislash
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 53-62 (13.4 - 15.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever

I apologize for any move compatibility issues (Softboiled is a past gen tutor I think) and those comments about the Klefki set. I do hope my suggestions help. Good luck with your team!

Thanks for your input! I've been looking at a cm clefable for a day or so and it looks better the more I give it attention. Wouldn't unaware clefable work better to ignore Aegislash's stat changes (as wel as others), whilst cm and wishing up health? Mold breaker excadrill & gyarados will give issues...would a virizion be a good counter to them both?

Thanks for your input! I've been looking at a cm clefable for a day or so and it looks better the more I give it attention. Wouldn't unaware clefable work better to ignore Aegislash's stat changes (as wel as others), whilst cm and wishing up health? Mold breaker excadrill & gyarados will give issues...would a virizion be a good counter to them both?
Unaware Clefable is pretty good too. If you run Unaware Clefable, drop Flamethrower for Heal Bell / Aromatherapy (that kind of stuff). I wouldn't say that Excadrill is an issue as you have Skarmory. Unaware is unfortunately, ignored by Mold Breaker so Clefable won't be doing a lot against Mega Gyarados. Virizion would do good in theory, but is 2HKOed by Adamant Iron Head and is OHKOed by +1 Ice Fang (Close Combat has ~6% chance to OHKO). Scarf Terrakion on the other hand, is a guaranteed OHKO on both so yeah you should try that out.

How'd you get a good Virizion on cartridge lol. Good luck with your team!

I'm worried (maybe wrongly) about skarmory v excadrills rock slide after a swords dance, I don't want to just whirlwind it for later...and roost opens me to EQ. I don't know if my virizion has good IV's yet but I caught all legendaries on old games and moved them to newer gens with what I thought was a good nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)