Rate my nats team!!!!!!

as some of you guys know me from my previous rmt thread:http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3464306.

Zapdos item: sitrus berry
nature: modest
trait: pressure
evs: 140 hp, 252 sp. atk, 116 spd
moves:
Thunderbolt
tailwind
heat wave
protect​

I chose Zapdos because my team needs a tailwind user and that is when I thought Zapdos. With heat wave, I finally destroy those annoying ferrothorns and abomasnows! Thunderbolt is just for STAB. Tailwind is to counter other tailwind teams. With sitrus berry, he can survive a little longer.

Hitmontop item: fighting gem
nature: adamant
trait: intimidate
evs: 228 hp, 252 atk, 28 spd
moves:
Fake out
wide guard
close combat
sucker punch​

Hitmontop is my fo user. Wide guard helps protect from spread attacks, such as rock slide and blizzard. CC with fighting, this move can most pokemon that is weak to it. Sucker punch is just for pokemon who is weak to it or at low hp. Fake out, of course you know, flinch the on the first turn or at the time it was sent out.

metagross item: occa berry
nature: adamant
trait: clear body
evs: 252 hp, 252 atk, 4 spd
moves:
meteor mash
bullet punch
earthquake
protect​

Earthquake is used to eliminate some threats that is weak to it. Meteor mash is good move to have, since it was useful in the regionals. Bullet ounch is used to get rid of foes that has low hp. Of course, occa berry is just there to weaken fire type attacks.

latios item: dragon gem
nature: timid
trait: levitate
evs: 4 hp, 252 sp. atk, 252 spd
moves:
Draco meteor
psychic
substitute
protect​

Sub is good move because it helps protect from being sucker punched. draco meteor + dragon gem, that move is really powerful. Psychic is just another attack other than draco meteor, but it is consider helpful on several occasions. It's timid nature lets it outspeed most pokemon in the metagame.

cresselia item: chesto berry
nature: bold
trait: levitate
evs: 244 hp, 148 def, 12 sp. atk, 92 sp. def, 12 spd
moves:
psychic
icy wind
thunder wave
rest​

Rest is just there to heal everything. Tw is used to paralyze, to take the advantage of speed. Icy wind is also the same as tw. Psychic is good for several occasions.

terrakion item: focus sash
nature: jolly
trait: justified
evs: 4 hp, 252 atk, 252 spd
moves:
close combat
rock slide
quick guard
protect​

I have chose terrakion because of it's great speed and attack. He is my psychical sweeper. With focus sash, he can survive an attack that might ohko him. Close combat is used to defeat those annoying ice, such as abomasnow. Rock slide is used to defeat main threats such chandelure. Quick guard is used to block fake out and other first priority attacks.

I know this may sound a little off, but what do you think about replacing cress with chancy using the following move set:

item: evolite
nature: bold
trait: serene grace
evs: 252 hp, 252 def, 4 spd
moves:
Gravity
sing
blizzard
heal bell\thunder wave\thunder\heal pulse\softboiled

I ran this in Madison and it really pissed off a ton of people, first off gravity would help the others with accuracy issues. The next move is either blizzard (which has a 46% chance of freezing one of the two guys and I have never gone 2 turns without freezing 1 guy. then sing in a gravity situation is a 92% sleep. Then thunder is 60% para, or thunder wave is 100%, but since you already have a hax I like one of the healing moves. That said it is just a suggestion and a far better wall, and it is funny watching people get frustrated with all the frozen guys.

My team is fine without chansey, the set does seem pretty good. But I prefer my cresselia, she helped me in most battles and I don't have problems with her.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
I know this may sound a little off, but what do you think about replacing cress with chancy
Cresseila dominates Chansey in any which way, a CC from Terrakion or Hitmontop equals bye-bye for Chansey. Cresselia has many more resistances, and better defenses with a base 130 SpD and 120 Def stat over Chansey's pathetic FIVE defense stat and a decent 105 SpD stat.

So yeah, Cress is a WAY better choice.

Cassie

giant claw
Chansey is definitely not worth it, it gets shut down by taunt and 15 minute timers don't give it enough time to actually kill things.. Cresselia is definitely a better choice. As for this team, it seems like Gastrodon would be a major problem for you if Thundurus goes down. Also you may want to consider Taunt somewhere, you basically lose against Trick Room especially against teams with Amoonguss.

completely agree that any fighter would kill chancy in a second, but I figure this to be one of those counters to help with trick room and set up accuracy for others. With thunder and blizzard taunt doesn't scare me. I used her with great effect in Madison as I went 6-1 with her help. Most people are focusing on the other guys until they realize the danger she presents. That said, I agree she does have significant weaknesses. Just a stupid suggestion to catch a few people offgaurd.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Gastrodon is a pretty big threat to this team without Thundurus, maybe if you run an Abomasnow with Giga Drain, you won't worry about Gastrodon. Abomasnow has decent synergy with your team, so it could fit in with Cress, Metagross, and Terrakion. Keep a lookout on Ferrothorn, because if Zebstrika goes down, it's gonna be hard to kill. Running Hidden Power [Fire] on Latios is a good move, if you're willing to sacrifice either Substitute or Protect.

Hope I helped!

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Running Hidden Power [Fire] on Latios is a good move, if you're willing to sacrifice either Substitute or Protect.

Hope I helped!
Hidden Power Fire means you will lose speed ties to rival Latios. HP Fire is actually quite uncommon in VGC from a Latios, as the majority run Tailwind/Protect.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Hidden Power Fire means you will lose speed ties to rival Latios. HP Fire is actually quite uncommon in VGC from a Latios, as the majority run Tailwind/Protect.
True, but Ferrothorn could be a big threat to this team. Maybe a Zapdos with this set could replace Thundurus:

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Modest (+SpA,-Atk)
EV's: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind

With Tailwind support from Zapdos, Latios will be able to outspeed Jolly Garchomp, as well as opposing Timid Latios. Hidden Power [Grass] will take care of Gastrodon, and Heat Wave can destroy Ferrothorn. Discharge is also good for the Lightning Rod combo with Zebstrika, so I think Zapdos is a better overall choice than Thundurus.

Whoa I didn't know Zebstrika had Overheat! I think you might want to put in a few more Speed EVs, so you can outrun the large base 110 bunch.

Thundurus' moveset seems lacking. HP Grass is unlikely to be very helpful, only time it will be more powerful then Tbolt is on a Ground type. It's almost solely a Gast counter, and is unlikely to OHKO him anyway. HP Ice for Dragons or HP Flying+Gem for Htop would be more effective. Discharge AND Thunderbolt aren't good for coverage together, Thunderbolt could be scrapped because it can't even be used while Zebstrika is on the field. In terms of replacements, Thunder Wave or Taunt, probably Taunt because the team has no particularly solid other TR counters. protect is just a good over that should likely be kept.

Naughty Metagross? Adamant would work way better, you aren't even using any SpAtk's so that might as well be the stat to get lowered. I can't see why you wouldn't want to replace the nature, if you can't get one yourself lots of nice people have a Metagross they could give you.

Latios looks OK. I know the general public disagrees with me in that I think Lati should only run one of Protect/Sub, but it shouldn't matter too much, Dracon Pulse would be a bad fit for the slot considering it would waste the Gem.

Cress looks OK, Icy Wind and Twave probably aren't needed on the same set. Thunder Wave slows down a single thing really heavily, but Icy Wind will do it enough to both of theirs that 4 of your Mons, except Meta and Cress, could outrun anything hit by a single Icy Wind. So i would recommend switching TWave for move of your choice, Protect maybe?

Terrak looks fine aside from Quick Gaurd. Not too much of this team is very priority weak, Protect would make a better replacement. Or possibly Wide Gaurd if you have enough worry bout spread moves

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you're going to use Tailwind, I would consider replacing Zebstrika with Manectric. It has basically the same relevant move pool (plus Flamethrower if you don't want to deal with the SpA Drops), and significantly higher Special Attack. Also if you're going for Tailwind, you could probably change Zebstrika/Manectric to a bulkier EV spread with Modest for even more power and survivability.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Then now about Mamoswine instead of Garchomp? Same synergy, no horrible Blizzard weakness, you already have another fast dragon, and it deals with opposing Latios more easily.

As for that, I will be brainstorming some ideas for my team. Mamoswine would be pretty good, what item do you think it should have? Or scarf abomasnow would be good.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
The problem I always saw with Nidoking is that his Speed and bulk are average and all his weaknesses are to very common attack types (Psychic, Ground, Water, Ice), so you pretty much need either Tailwind or a Scarf (or Trick Room, though that obviously wouldn't be good for this team) to get a sweep off.

Speaking of Trick Room, how do you deal with it? You have nothing to stop it from going up, and your only Pokémon that can really take any punishment (Cresselia) does absolutely nothing back to most TR sweepers.

In pleasanton, I battled like three trick room teams (they were actually hard to beat) beat them like 3-0. So I had like no problem with it. How about scarf abomsnow instead of mamo?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
How did you beat them, though? I'm not doubting you, just curious.

Abomasnow could certainly work, but it seems a shame to lose Earthquake when you have three Ground immunities.

I usually use my main leads, which is cress and terrakion. To be honest all three of those teams, I was not expecting trick room. All I did was protect and tw, that is all nothing special.

Cassie

giant claw
Just because your last team beat Trick Room doesn't mean this one does... Cresselia helps the Trick Room teams, you might want to at least put Trick Room on it so you can reverse it instead of using both Thunder Wave and Icy Wind. Also about the Naughty Metagross, I highly doubt you'll find anyone willing to RNG it for you in WiFi when you really have no reason, unless you already have one?

I know I would need to replace naughty with adamant, I'm not going to do that, no matter what you say.
You really should considered changing it. A Naughty nature limits its Special Defense, which means moves that don't normally KO have a chance to KO.

With the EV spread and Nature you are running, a Heat Wave from Modest Chandelure OHKOs you 100% of the time.

Standard Metagross is only KOd about 50% of the time, which can be alleviated for with an Occa Berry.

Not to mention that only is for Chande, while other Pokemon like Infernape and Heatran hit you for super effective damage too.

The time it would take for a person to RNG you a Naughty Metagross would be very time consuming than just cloning the Adamant ones they have plenty of already.

You don't use Special Attacks, so why not use a nature which negatively affects that instead of a useful stat?

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
It's also important to note that while losing to one threat(who you only had a 50% chance of beating in the first place!) you gain the ability to beat two others who would prior wall you HARD(Ferrothorn and Scizor). It is not terribly hard to beat someone without reaching a speed tie, and you usually try to play against other latios assuming you will lose the speed tie anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)