Rate my stall/defensive team!

Hi there! First of all, sorry if my English is not as good as regular forum level. I want to present the team that let me go to a +1700 ladder on PS. After that I decided to buy mi Pokemon X and I let PS apart, but still I want to share it with all of you and see how you rate it. The core I wanted to used were my three favourite Pokemon, Venusaur, Heatran and Chansey. That makes me weak to physical pokes, so I decided to add a defogger Mandibuzz and a Whirlwind/SR Skarmory, both of them equipped with Rocky Helmets as support. In the last slot I wanted a will-o-wisper so I added subprotect gengar. I start the description with the mega evolution:

Gamabunta/Venusaur@ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Ev's spread is to let me tank one of psyshock or brave bird, sludge bomb back and withdrew (if I need it). This being said, Venusaur is a monstrous mixed wall who loves the companion of Heatran, wish passer Chansey and defoger Mandibuzz. Venusaur also loves to switch in some burned staff by Gengar. It takes knock offs destined to Chaney, thunderbolts for Skarmory, helps against fairies...

Zazu/Mandibuzz (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 SAtk
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Defog

After days of testing without a defogger I realize that I need it. Well, Stealth Rocks weren't a big deal, but spikes do, even it see less play nowadays. As I said, Rocky Helmet as support, taunt as an utility, foul play for killing things and roost for longevity. She use to die in all of my matches, but she do her job.

Damnthing/Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic
- Lava Plume

I love this damn thing. It takes burns as a champion. It loves opponent switch ins to make a substitute and starts to toxic/stall or lava plume monsters. As you all know, it makes the famous venutran core, that works really well for me. It loves wishes and heal bell if it gets paralized from Chansey. It desperate opponents too, and is a great counter to talonflame. With lava plume, if he is after a substitute physical pokes will think twice to switch. Take cares of stell type pokes.

Hategg/Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

My support, it heals status, pass wishes and stall with toxic and softboiled. Sometimes I wish it has 5 moves... xD. There not so much about Chansey, everybody knows what it does.

Whysoserious/Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

The only pokemon I'm not sure about, sometimes is awesome, sometimes just dies xD. Is a really good partner for Heatran due to levitate, but I don't know what poke can make what I want better than him, maybe Sableye? Too predictable, sometimes I've thought a strange set for sableye, but never tested it, substitute on the switch, metal burst (lol), recover and will-o-wisp.

Rocky/Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

The one who fix this team, is a good partner for... almost anyone but mandibuzz in the team. It set up rocks, what is basic due to all switching that this team provocates. Whirlwind for DDancers, SDancers... And for Talonflame and Charizard, two pokes that can break me.

Hope you have a nice time reading this!! :).

Two bonus battles:

- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126413843 In this one I have my old team with no defogger Mandibuzz.

- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126970388

:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-128352245
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-128360664
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-128373445

PD: Sorry for no images, I just copy from the movil phone

Last edited:
Solid team! Great syngergy as well. I see a large problem with Darmanitan, though. I believe it gets Flare Blitz and Earthquake, which can ruin your team, but I can see Mandibuzz will take care of that.

Darmanitan.
In OU.
Are you SURE thats a good idea?
I'd personally be more worried about Talonflame (So important I had to bold it)
Also, that Gengar isn really that good IMO. It's too frail to be a status spreader and if you REALLY want a Status move on it, I've heard Taunt fucks with stall pretty hard (I don't use Gengar myself so I can't help you with the set :/)
If you want something to spread burns, I'd reccomend Rotom-W(ash) because that fucker is TAN KEE and is also a good partner for your Heatran because of Levitate. It also works as a nice Talonflame check. As well as Mega Pinsir. And most OU mon actually XD
I can give you a rough outline of what it's set is, I can't remember off the top of my head the exact details...
Rotom-W w/ Leftovers (I'm assuming you want a standard one)
Bold Nature (+Def -Att IIRC)
252HP/252Def/4SpeAtt (roughly. I don't remember the exact Evs, but this should be a good starting point)
IVs: 0 Attack (Foul Play can suck it!
- Will-O-Wisp (Burn Baby Burn)
- Volt Switch (to GTFO when you need to)
- Thunderbolt (Basic STAB)
- Hydro Pump (Also basic STAB)
The rest of the team looks fine to me! Good luck out there!

Gengar is never going to be 'sturdy', per say, but it is a really good mon (check with TFL, he loves it).

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Try this set instead. Hex is too inconsistent to deal great damage, especially against opposing heatrans. This set is a full on stall breaker, stopping chansey from doing anything, burning Venu and the team -heatran, and just shadow ball spamming everything while they can't recover.

On Chansey, one of the nice things is to use softboil over protect. You may think it's an odd decision but if you want to heal yourself, you don't take away from the PP to heal your team. It also is a more immediate healing, and the protect turn does not give the opponent a free setup (because wish+protect is kinda obvious after first use). Also, run Seismic Toss. It works better for things like Heatran and Alakazam/Espeon.

With Venusaur, I'd suggest dropping one of sludge bomb or Leech seed (probably leech seed, the triple grass slot is really redundant) and picking up EQ or Knock Off. Go with a speed minus nature and keep some good attack. EQ 2hko's heatran (which is very nice, trust me) and Knock off annoys all sorts of teams, such as landorus switch ins. Just remember to remove the 0 Att IVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)