ORAS OU Rate my team: Defensive

I haven't tried it out on showdown yet, but theoretically, I have one pokemon that either resists or is immune to every type in the game. So on paper it sounds like it will be fairly tough to break, but I'd like to see what you guys think of it before I breed some of the lesser used ones on cartridge.

M-Slowbro: Water/Psychic
-CroBro
-Slowbronite
-Bold: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SpD
Shell Armor*/Oblivious-
-Scald
-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Mega Slowbro provides an obvious tank on the physical side from the get go. His absurdly high base 180 def coupled with decent HP make him an immediate hindrance to any physical powerhouse. By boosting with calm mind, he patches up his mediocre Sp Def and Sp Atk to unstoppable levels. From both sides of the defensive spectrum he becomes a powerful tank who can dish out hefty damage and burns with scald, further boosting his own defense. Rest talk obviously provides recovery from status as well as fully recovering HP. Oblivious was the ability of choice because it prevents becoming taunted on the switch in, which would cripple MegaBro's entire set aside from an unboosted scald.

Klefki: Fairy/Steel
-Dual Screens
-Light Clay/Leftovers
-Bold: 252 HP/Split Defenses
Prankster-
-Light screen
-Reflect
-Thunder Wave
-Foul Play

Klefki is here for a few reasons, but primarily to further enhance the defensive aspects of the team. Priority dual screens allows klefki to be a fantastic lead that can almost never be Ko'd on turn 1. Thunder wave is there to cripple faster mons and specifically setup sweepers that would spell trouble for the other pokemon's defenses. Only attacking half the time and becoming slower than the more offensive pokemon on the team nearly destroys the the opposing team. Foul play is also there for offensive sweepers for obvious reasons, and so Klekfi isn't complete taunt bait. Light clay is used to add to the effectiveness of screens, but leftovers can be used for recovery.

Tyranitar:Rock/Dark
-Special Tank
-Assault Vest
-Adamant/Careful: 252 HP/252 SpD/6 Atk
Sand Stream-
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Crunch/Pursuit
-Iron Head?/???

Tyranitar is primarily being used as a special tank. With moderate HP and Special defense, Tyranitar takes great advantage with assault vest and sand stream being bundled together, as it nearly doubles his longevity against special threats. Either an adamant or careful nature can be used depending on the sole need to tank special hits, or the boost in attacking power since you can't use DD to power up. Edgequake is for coverage and powerful STAB, and pursuit can be used to trap or crunch for the extra damage. I put Iron Head in the last slot to cover fairies. Superpower was considered, but lowering offense and defense isn't advisable without a way to boost them back up outside of switching in and out.

Roserade: Grass/Poison
-Specially Bulky
-Black Sludge
-Calm: 252 HP/252 SpD/6 Spe
Natural Cure-
-Leech Seed/Synthesis
-Sludge Bomb
-Spikes/Toxic Spikes
-Giga Drain

Roserade is another specially bulky 'mon who can deal damage from the other side of the spectrum than Tyranitar. It helps stack either toxic or non toxic spikes to help chip away at enemies health passively. Either leech seed or synthesis can be used as a form of recovery alongside Giga drain, it just depends on whether you'd prefer the immediate health or to be a detriment to switch ins. Sludge bomb is there for STAB and the off chance it'll poison. Natural cure obviously helps recover from status which helps the overall longevity of Roserade as well. Black sludge is used for additional 1/16 HP recovery each turn as well.

Excadrill: Ground/Steel
-Offensive Rapid Spin
-Focus Sash/Air Balloon
-Adamant: 252 Atk/252 Spe/6 Def
Mold Breaker-
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Stealth Rock

Excadrill is probably the least defensive pokemon on the team, and for good reason. A relatively quick stealth rock setter is always appreciated, and he can absorb electric moves for Slowbro. Rapid spin is there to keep hazards off the field, earthquake and IH are there for powerful STABs. The only defensive aspect of this pokemon is it's immunity to poison and electric attacks, as well as a great 4x resistance to rock, which makes it the perfect rapid spinner. Mold breaker is there for levitate mons who could otherwise remain unscathed throughout the match, mainly Rotom-W. Either focus sash or air balloon can be used, but I haven't decided on one so hopefully somebody can help with that choice.

Dragonite: Dragon/Flying
-Dragon Dance
-Lum Berry/Weakness Policy
-Adamant: 252 Atk/252 Spe/6 Def
Multiscale-
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Extreme Speed
-Earthquake/ Fire Punch

Dragonite is there as the sole sweeper of the team. Lum berry helps with the confusion from outrage or any other status that may be thrown his way during his time on the field, while weakness policy provides an extra 2 Atk if you can tank a SE hit while Multiscale is active. Dragonite has an immunity to ground type moves, which would otherwise hit everything else on the team either neutrally or super effectively. Multiscale obviously provides decent bulk when at full health which allows it to tank a move initially as long as rocks are off the field. Dragon dance is an obvious choice for a setup move, and outrage or dragon claw can be chosen for powerful STAB. Extreme speed is hard hitting priority that the rest of the team lacks, while either earthquake ore fire punch can be used to check steel types, and then obviously they both have different coverage beyond that.

I made a list of every single type, and which pokemon resist or are immune to each here:

Resistances
Bug-klefki, dragonite, excadrill
Dark-tyranitar, klefki
Dragon-Klefki, excadrill
Electric-Roserade. Excadrill
Fairy-klefki, excadrill, Roserade
Fighting- slowbro, Roserade, dragonite
Fire-Slowbro, tyranitar, dragonite
Flying-excadrill, klefki, tyranitar
Ghost- tyranitar
Grass-klefki, Roserade, dragonite
Ground-dragonite
Ice- slowbro, klefki
Normal-tyranitar, klefki, excadrill
Poison-excadrill, klefki
Psychic-excadrill, slowbro, klefki, tyranitar
Rock-tyranitar, excadrill, klefki
Steel-slowbro, excadrill
Water-slowbro, dragonite, Roserade

Last edited by a moderator:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi! It is required that you have a minimum of three lines of description for each Pokemon to explain your choices and their roles as outlined by the RMT rules. Please read them carefully and take a look at other RMTs and the RMT archive to see the kind of detail we require before posting a thread here. PM me with an updated version of your RMT after you review the rules and I'll reopen this thread.

Edit: Reopened

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)