Gen 2 Rate My Team.

Well whats there left to make out of a GSC team? Its been 7 years. So this is my GSC Team

Gengar @ Leftovers
~ Hypnosis
~ Explosion
~ Ice Punch
~ Thunderbolt

My lead and also my favorite Pokemon. Not much to explain here put something to sleep here with Hypnosis(Have to be aware of a Sleep Talker). Ice Punch and Thunderbolt to have the BoltBeam coverge. And Explosion is a powerful attack no mater how low Gengar's Attack stat is.

Skarmory @ Mint Berry
~ Drill Peck
~ Whirlwind
~ Rest
~ Thief
My Physical Wall. Drill Peck is for Stab. Whirlwind is to get rid of those stat uppers. Rest to heal up. And Thief to steal my opponent's item.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
~ Curse
~ Double-Edge
~ Rest
~ Earthquake

Ah the most famous set in GSC History the CurseLax. This thing is such a monster after a 2 Curses you basiclly have the game. Double-Edge will hurt! Earthquake to hit Poke'mon that resist Snorlax's Double-Edge.And Rest is of course to heal up.

Charizard @ Leftovers
~ Belly Drum
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast
~ Rock Slide

Usually I bring this thing in on something that I know won't touch me and I know they will switch thus giving Charizard a free turn to use Belly Drum. Earthquake hits just about everything, Rock Slide to hit those Flying Types, and Fire Blast is a helluva Stab move.

Raikou @ Leftovers
~ Thunderbolt
~ Crunch
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

The Saber-Tooth Tiger Rules. My Sleep Talker. Thunderbolt everything I can touch, Crunch the Poke'mon I can't touch, and Rest + Sleep Talk

Jynx @ Leftovers
~ Ice Beam
~ Lovely Kiss
~ Substitute
~ Psychic

Jynx is a killer at Special Sweeping. Ice Beam and Psychic for Stab, Substitute to scout, and Lovely Kiss to put Poke'mon to sleep.

Well whats there left to make out of a GSC team? Its been 7 years. So this is my GSC Team

Gengar @ Leftovers
~ Hypnosis
~ Explosion
~ Ice Punch
~ Thunderbolt

My lead and also my favorite Pokemon. Not much to explain here put something to sleep here with Hypnosis(Have to be aware of a Sleep Talker). Ice Punch and Thunderbolt to have the BoltBeam coverge. And Explosion is a powerful attack no mater how low Gengar's Attack stat is.

Standard, nothing to say about this guy...

Skarmory @ Mint Berry
~ Drill Peck
~ Whirlwind
~ Rest
~ Thief
My Physical Wall. Drill Peck is for Stab. Whirlwind is to get rid of those stat uppers. Rest to heal up. And Thief to steal my opponent's item.

Since you don't have something tht can beat lest Pokemon Curselax you might want to consider using either Sand Attack and Curse. Both are good choices, Sand Attack will stop Curse Roar users like Rhydon and Kangaskhan in their tracks. While, Curse gives you more offense and you'll sctually be about to hurt other Pokemon with Drill Peck. If you do that lose Mint Berry for Leftovers.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
~ Curse
~ Double-Edge
~ Rest
~ Earthquake

Ah the most famous set in GSC History the CurseLax. This thing is such a monster after a 2 Curses you basiclly have the game. Double-Edge will hurt! Earthquake to hit Poke'mon that resist Snorlax's Double-Edge.And Rest is of course to heal up.

Never was a fan of the Curselax, but whatever floats your boat. However, you might want to consider Body Slam on this thing because of the 30% paralyze it gets which will help your Charizard set up.

Charizard @ Leftovers
~ Belly Drum
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast
~ Rock Slide

Usually I bring this thing in on something that I know won't touch me and I know they will switch thus giving Charizard a free turn to use Belly Drum. Earthquake hits just about everything, Rock Slide to hit those Flying Types, and Fire Blast is a helluva Stab move.

Standard Drumzard.

Raikou @ Leftovers
~ Thunderbolt
~ Crunch
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

The Saber-Tooth Tiger Rules. My Sleep Talker. Thunderbolt everything I can touch, Crunch the Poke'mon I can't touch, and Rest + Sleep Talk

Since you're using Drumzard consider using Thunder on Raikou. A stabed Thunder will do 26% ~ 30% on a Snorlax which is a lot for a special Pokemon imo.

Jynx @ Leftovers
~ Ice Beam
~ Lovely Kiss
~ Substitute
~ Psychic

Jynx is a killer at Special Sweeping. Ice Beam and Psychic for Stab, Substitute to scout, and Lovely Kiss to put Poke'mon to sleep.

Standard Jynx...
Okay, first of all this team has a huge Tyranitar weakness. Nothing can switch on it except for MAYBE Snorlax which gets screwed by Dynamic Punch / Rock Slide. For this problem you might want to consider using something like Machamp or Suicune to fix that. Secondly, this team lacks Rapid Spin which can hurt your team. Donphan is and excellent choice for you team because not only does it learn Rapid Spin but it can counter Tyranitar just as well (Just watch out for ones with Crunch or Surf).
Dude did Leftovers even exist in GSC? Just wondering.
Yes, Leftovers did exist in GSC.

Gengar @ Leftovers
~ Hypnosis
~ Explosion
~ Ice Punch
~ Thunderbolt

Donphan @ Leftovers
~ Earthquake
~ Roar
~ Rapid Spin
~ Rest

My Physical Wall. Well Ace is right this team has a Tyranitar weakness so Donphan should fix that( Inliss that Tyranitar has Surf / Ice Beam). Earthquake for Stab, Rapid Spin to get rid of Spikes, Roar to screw over those Stat Uppers, and Rest to heal.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
~ Curse
~ Body Slam
~ Rest
~ Earthquake

Ah the most famous set in GSC History the CurseLax. This thing is such a monster after a 2 Curses you basiclly have the game. Body Slam is here for Stab and It can help Charizard set up. Earthquake to hit Poke'mon that resist Snorlax's Body Slam.And Rest is of course to heal up.

Charizard @ Leftovers
~ Belly Drum
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast
~ Rock Slide

Zapdos @ Leftovers
~ Sleep Talk
~ Drill Peck
~ Thunderbolt
~ Rest

Well this set obiviously has trouble with Rhydon and Steelix, but will cover a lot of Poke'mon. Thunderbolt and Drill Peck everything in view( Depending on what Poke'mon). And Rest + Sleep Talk to heal and screw those Sleep inducers.

Jynx @ Leftovers
~ Ice Beam
~ Lovely Kiss
~ Substitute
~ Psychic

Jynx is a killer at Special Sweeping. Ice Beam and Psychic for Stab, Substitute to scout, and Lovely Kiss to put Poke'mon to sleep

Two standard teams running standard sets made using the standard Snorlax, flying type, normal resist, sleep talker, sweeper, filler format. What you get is a team with poor synergy.

Individually: 8/10 across the table
As a team: 2/10

Another team that succumbs to a standard Raikou/Suicune/Skarmory stall.

Please tell me how Skarmory counters Gengar?
He meant Raikou.

In any case, either go all out defense or none at all. None of that jack-of-all trades bullshit most players go about when building a team.

He meant Raikou.

In any case, either go all out defense or none at all. None of that jack-of-all trades bullshit most players go about when building a team.
Oh, my mistake sorry. I was assuming he used Raikou for both teams, I didn't see his change for Zapdos. Also, Chrisomar, if you're having problems with Gengar you could always go back to Raikou. Gengar and Charizard should handle Heracross with Seismic Toss or Earthquake.

havoc

pottlepalooza
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Gengar @ Leftovers
~ Hypnosis
~ Explosion
~ Ice Punch
~ Thunderbolt

Even though this set is cool, it is now beyond predictable since I brought this set back when I used an Explosion team. Plus, this isn't RBY, you don't need two sleepers; even sometimes one is kinda eh. Change some stuff up. You know what's fun? Mean Look over Hypnosis. Helps for those pesky Raikous which helps you set up Charizard! because Raikou isn't going to switch into Body Slam from Snorlax! or use Fire Punch or somethin.

Donphan @ Leftovers
~ Earthquake
~ Roar
~ Rapid Spin
~ Rest

My Physical Wall. Well Ace is right this team has a Tyranitar weakness so Donphan should fix that( Inliss that Tyranitar has Surf / Ice Beam). Earthquake for Stab, Rapid Spin to get rid of Spikes, Roar to screw over those Stat Uppers, and Rest to heal.

I've never found Rapid Spin useful on teams with any kind of offense; besides, I imagine Cloyster is still the most popular Spiker, so I mean you're going to Rapid Spin while Cloyster just comes in and Spikes again or Ice Beams you. What you can do here is replace this with Marowak, Body Slam/Earthquake/Rest/Sleep Talk. Body Slam is helpful for something like a Starmie or Suicune that can mess up Charizard. It can also paralyze something like Growl Miltank that fucks shit up.

Also Donphan's Roar is probably not going to stop Curse Snorlax more than once by itself, which is the number one reason anyone uses P-Hazing moves now.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
~ Curse
~ Body Slam
~ Rest
~ Earthquake

Ah the most famous set in GSC History the CurseLax. This thing is such a monster after a 2 Curses you basiclly have the game. Body Slam is here for Stab and It can help Charizard set up. Earthquake to hit Poke'mon that resist Snorlax's Body Slam.And Rest is of course to heal up.

Honestly I don't like Curse Snorlax that much. it's fat and it's slow, and with Body Slam the only things you're going to paralyze are going to be things that really don't put you at much of an advantage. I like going 3-attack, Double-Edge, Earthquake, Thunder (or Flamethrower/Fire Blast). once again, Thunder can paralyze a Starmie or something else a person may switch in. makes it easier for Charizard. Lovely Kiss is also a fine choice. Snorlax is one of those things (like Gengar) that learns a bunch of cool moves but most will stick to one set (this one) regardless.

Charizard @ Leftovers
~ Belly Drum
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast
~ Rock Slide

he's ok. this is your sweeper guy but he's a Flying type--another reason why I don't find Rapid Spin to be a necessity.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
~ Sleep Talk
~ Drill Peck
~ Thunderbolt
~ Rest

Well this set obiviously has trouble with Rhydon and Steelix, but will cover a lot of Poke'mon. Thunderbolt and Drill Peck everything in view( Depending on what Poke'mon). And Rest + Sleep Talk to heal and screw those Sleep inducers.

the problem is that every team has a Rhydon or a Steelix on it, and since you don't have Spikes or Toxic or anything this set will get shut down 100% of the time with no problem. in the rare case that they don't, they will have Raikou anyway. SO if you want to keep Zapdos I guess you can put Thunder Wave on there (for Raikous, hey Charizard!) or Substitute or a pseudo-pass move (Light Screen/Reflect) or even Toxic (Tyranitar and Rhydon and ESPECIALLY SNORLAX don't like Toxic) or somethin else that's cool and handy. and remember that I suggested Marowak as a Sleep Talker earlier so that's still covered!

Jynx @ Leftovers
~ Ice Beam
~ Lovely Kiss
~ Substitute
~ Psychic

Jynx is a killer at Special Sweeping. Ice Beam and Psychic for Stab, Substitute to scout, and Lovely Kiss to put Poke'mon to sleep

honestly Jynx is an awesome pokemon and can actually cause some teams to panic because she's cooler than the other team. but anyway. the problem here is that while Jynx is awesome, she doesn't really fit into the team dynamic here. it's all about covering yourself, see. and something I noticed is that your team has a problem with set-up attackers, especially stuff that uses Curse. and while Jynx might be able to put it to sleep, it may be a Sleep Talker or you may already have put something to sleep. for this team, I suggest taking Jynx out completely.
to remedy this, we need to figure out a plan to be able to stop this Curser in its tracks. while generally a great strategy is "hit it before it gets time to set up," when you're using something like Zapdos or Gengar, it gives golden opportunities for Cursing pokemon like Snorlax and Tyranitar to switch in and tear you apart.

one way to help would be putting something like Reflect on Zapdos like I mentioned earlier (since Zapdos almost guarantees a switch to Snorlax, Rhydon, or Steelix). but that doesn't solve the whole problem. well that's where the "teamwork" idea comes in. you can use another pokemon that compliments what you have.

there are plenty of pokemon that can do this, even the Donphan you have originally could work with Roar (remember, though, that in my "ideal" rate I replaced it with Marowak). so like I said, try different stuff out, one thing that sprang in my mind was something like:

Slowbro @ Leftovers -- Surf, Rest, Growl, and something else you find needed (Toxic, Ice Beam, etc.)

in this model, not only will you be able to bring Zapdos out with no fear of a Snorlax or Rhydon (with Reflect giving you an easier switch), but when it comes to that point where they try to be gay and use Curse Snorlax as their last pokemon, welp you got that covered too as you out-ninny that Snorlax into submission using Growl. plus Slowbro protects you from something like Curse Machamp. and let's face it, Slowbro is just a cool pokemon, it's true. but like I said, there are plenty of different, cool pokemon with lots of different sets you can use to fulfill your needs.

so sorry this turned into a long post but I haven't played pokemon in a long time and got a little carried away. hope I helped you in some way!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Very nice team analysis / read, havoc =]

To add to what Borat is saying, although you have pokemon that are individually good sweepers, walls, and tanks, they don't work together to make progress in a game. Especially, when you have an all-or-nothing Sweeper like Charizard, it is essential that its team mates set up an environment in which it could sweep. Havoc has essentially improved your team in that aspect.

For example, Curselax is walled by Skarmory. But you could utilize that offensive shortcoming of Skarmory to harmlessly bring out your Bellyzard. However, once it came out it can't sweep, because Suicune, Snorlax, Starmie, Gengar, and / or Raikou were not weakened, paralyzed, or eliminated beforehand. You got Snorlax and Raikou to deal with most of them, but the two fail because they just force them to switch out with their healthy conditions, end up walled again by Skarmory or Steelix / Rhydon.

In Borat's second post, he basically means that absorbing the counter to your pokemon hit isn't enough; you got to eliminate it, so that you could then take the offensive. Best way to do that is having versatility to your offense. With versatility comes the opponent's difficulty in dealing with it. For example, Thunder / Fire Blast that havoc suggested provides a way for Snorlax to break through Skarmory, the wall that have been forcing it to switch out without causing much harm. With that barrier out of the way, it could inflict greater damage on different Pokemon.

The other way is the lure method that Borat has introduced me to. havoc basically incorporated this tactic into your team. This tactic takes advantage of the pokemon's weakness to lure and disable a counter. Gengar and Charizard are both countered by Raikou. Thus, in order to counter the two, Raikou would inevitably come out to fend the two off. Gengar, with Mean Look that havoc advised, could then trap Raikou, and explode to eliminate the common counter. Though you have lost your Gengar, you have taken down the enemy's defenses for Charizard with it, allowing Charizard to infiltrate the foe's team. This is what Borat means by going offensive, and not dealing a Sweeper's offensive problem with a defensive pogey.

The luring technique is pokemon specific; that is why having Body Slam on a Curselax contributes little in terms of making offensive progress, because it will most likely ending up paralyzing Skarmory if the trainer has one.

That doesn't mean you should forget about your fundamental defensive coverage. You still need a pokemon that could take hits and absorb status. However, you also need the offense to eliminate the opponent's threats if you want to win. Thus, you should decrease the opponent's chances of walling you, through increased versatility in offense and by eliminating counters by luring them out and eliminating them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)