ORAS OU Rate My Team

EDIT: See below in comments for new team updates.

Hey Guys - I've been playing Pokémon since Gen IV, so that probably would explain some of my choices on my team (Especially Infernape, who is my favourite pokemon).

Basically, I started out with my team in the Sinnoh Games, but when I looked through them, only Infernape, Staraptor and Lucario seemed to have what it took to stand up in the OU tier, so I augmented the team with Garchomp (a powerful beast, basically), Sceptile and Starmie, the latter two mainly added due to their pretty good speed and their coverage.

I originally gave Defog to Staraptor, but since it apparently couldn't have the move with the Reckless ability, I instead made Starmie learn Rapid Spin - However, I made it give up Dazzling Gleam in the process. While I sometimes regret the move whenever I'm dealing with a "Trickster" Sableye, I worked under the assumption that Ice Beam would be the better coverage move in general.

Anyways, below is my team, their EVs, items, moves etc. If you notice any glaringly obvious weak points, please comment.

I consider Infernape, Staraptor, Garchomp and Lucario to be the heart of the team - although I can reconsider in Lucario's case, if there is a strong argument made. I've found Starmie to be very useful and versatile, so the same goes for it. Sceptile has it's uses, but I'm definitely open to dropping him, in reality.

Infernape (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive - Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Description: Infernape is there as a fast, physical sweeper - and for this reason, I've maxed out his Attack and Speed EVs. Flare Blitz is kind of my kamikaze option - obviously, Infernape is not that difficult to OHKO by a relatively powerful pokemon, but even then, the Focus Sash activates, and with few exceptions, Blaze-powered Flare Blitz manages to take the opponent down with Infernape.

Close Combat is a powerful STAB move, and it's secondary effect kind of plays into Flaze Blitz in the sense of activating Blaze. Earthquake and Thunderclap are coverage moves.

Staraptor (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly - Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge

Description: In some cases, I've managed to take out half an opponent's team with Choice Band-powered Brave Bird. Maxed out Attack and the Reckless ability augments Staraptor's raw power. Double-Edge is similar, except it's a STAB move with slightly better coverage. U-Turn is in case I send out Staraptor at the wrong time, and Close Combat ensure perfect coverage all around.

Lucario (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild - Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse

Description: Lucario's steel typing comes in handy sometimes, as it does resist moves that some of my other pokemon can't handle. Also, I've set it up as a special attacker - which is handy for dealing with Will-O-Wisps. Psychic and Dark Pulse are primarily for coverage, while Flash Cannon is handy for dealing with Fairy types - especially important where Garchomp is concerned

Garchomp-Mega (M) @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
Naughty - Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock

Description: Garchomp is another Physical Sweeper, with STABs with both Outrage and Eathquake, which causes quite a bit of havok. It can set up Stealth Rock, and Flamethrower does at least allow it to inflict damage to Ice Types. I've maxed out his Attack and Speed, although I wonder if I should simply just invest the EVs in his Defences, as Garchomp isn't exactly fast anyways....

Sceptile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
Hasty - Nature
- Energy Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Earthquake
- Leaf Storm

Description: On some of the earlier teams I've experimented with, I've felt that a Grass type is really good to have, and Sceptile is one of the most competitively viable Grass types, from what I could see. Granted, he's not a Mega, but even "ordinary" Sceptile is fast enough to outspeed most opponents anyways, and the grass-type coverage is goof to have - along with Dragon Pulse and Earthquake.

Starmie @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild - Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic

Description: Starmie may seem a little odd, but competent users of Stealth Rock-clearing moves and of Ice type moves are, from what I can see, vital for Staraptor and Garchomp to inflict maximum damage on the opponent unhindered, as well as to protect my other Sash users. Top that off with powerful Water and Psychic STABs and pretty decent speed, and I think that Starmie has definitely earned it's spot on the team. So far...

Last edited:
EDIT: I'm now aware that this RMT isn't up to standard. Give me a couple of minutes to ratify that.

Hey Guys - I've been playing Pokémon since Gen IV, so that probably would explain some of my choices on my team (Especially Infernape, who is my favourite pokemon).

Basically, I started out with my team in the Sinnoh Games, but when I looked through them, only Infernape, Staraptor and Lucario seemed to have what it took to stand up in the OU tier, so I augmented the team with Garchomp (a powerful beast, basically), Sceptile and Starmie, the latter two mainly added due to their pretty good speed and their coverage.

I originally gave Defog to Staraptor, but since it apparently couldn't have the move with the Reckless ability, I instead made Starmie learn Rapid Spin - However, I made it give up Dazzling Gleam in the process. While I sometimes regret the move whenever I'm dealing with a "Trickster" Sableye, I worked under the assumption that Ice Beam would be the better coverage move in general.

Anyways, below is my team, their EVs, items, moves etc. If you notice any glaringly obvious weak points, please comment. I'm not particularly attached to Starmie and Sceptile - they are there mainly as speedy pokemon to provide coverage for my other 4 pokemon, who I consider to be the "core" of my team.

Naive - Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Jolly - Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge

Lucario (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
Mild - Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse

Garchomp-Mega (M) @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
Naughty - Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock

Sceptile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
Hasty - Nature
- Energy Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Earthquake
- Leaf Storm

Starmie @ Focus Sash
Mild - Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
I have a lot to say about this team but don't have the time to say it all.

The ultimate thing is stealth rock destroys ur team. There are like 4 mons with focus sashes and if they set up rocks or anything then the sashed breaks. Starmie has spin but if he has rocks up u take damage from them losing ur sash already and then if they attack u then.

Also u should run iron first with infernape and u have no defensive Pokemon.

You need to make ALOT of changes for this team to be sucseful.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything just giving conductive criticism

I have a lot to say about this team but don't have the time to say it all.

The ultimate thing is stealth rock destroys ur team. There are like 4 mons with focus sashes and if they set up rocks or anything then the sashed breaks. Starmie has spin but if he has rocks up u take damage from them losing ur sash already and then if they attack u then.
I'm aware that Stealth Rock is a challenge - Even though Starmie itself does have one, I feel that it's worth the risk for Starmie's Sash to break if it can clear things up for the rest of my team.

Also u should run iron first with infernape
From what I gather, Iron Fist doesn't increase Close Combat's power - which is Infernape's most powerful Fighting-Type STAB attack. The only attack in my Infernape's current set that benefits from Iron Fist is Thunderpunch, and from what I can see, none of Infernape's other punching-based moves are either powerful or practical enough for an Iron Fist Infernape to outdo one with Blaze-boosted Flare Blitz.

...and u have no defensive Pokemon.

You need to make ALOT of changes for this team to be sucseful.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything just giving conductive criticism
Well, SUGGESTING some Defensive Pokemon I could consider would be a great help. However, you would also have to suggest what pokemon I should retire as a result - and for me, Infernape, Staraptor and Garchomp are the core of the team. Lucario is as well to a certain extent, but I can consider if your argument is strong enough. Starmie isn't in the same category, but I've found it to be extremely useful so far.

some good defensive pokemon in sinnoh include Magnezone, Togekiss. Golem, Gastrodon, Bronzong, ect.

But what I would do for your team in particular is I would probobaly switch Sceptile out for Assualt Vest Tangrowth

Move 1
Move 2
Move 3
Move 4
The bad thing about this is it's lack of regeneration, but with its regenerator ability it will restore 1/3 of its hp when switching out. Its a win win in my eyes
Item
Ability
Nature
  • Quiet
EVs
  • 248 HP
  • 252 SpA
  • 8 SpD

Lastly, I would definetly rethink the mega garchomp Idea. Its mega evolution is a waste of the mega slot and reduces his previously high speed. it also adds to his special attack which in my opinion is usless as garchomps a better physical attacker.

Alot of problems with this team... Good luck

some good defensive pokemon in sinnoh include Magnezone, Togekiss. Golem, Gastrodon, Bronzong, ect.

But what I would do for your team in particular is I would probobaly switch Sceptile out for Assualt Vest Tangrowth

Move 1
Move 2
Move 3
Move 4
The bad thing about this is it's lack of regeneration, but with its regenerator ability it will restore 1/3 of its hp when switching out. Its a win win in my eyes
Item
Ability
Nature
  • Quiet
EVs
  • 248 HP
  • 252 SpA
  • 8 SpD
Sounds pretty logical to me. I'll definitely consider trying out Tangrowth now. I'll get back to you on how that goes.

Lastly, I would definetly rethink the mega garchomp Idea. Its mega evolution is a waste of the mega slot and reduces his previously high speed. it also adds to his special attack which in my opinion is usless as garchomps a better physical attacker.

Alot of problems with this team... Good luck
It is true that Mega Garchomp does seriously suffer from speed issues alright, especially given the extent to which much of the OU metagame seems to have prepared itself to deal especially with him. To be honest, my first thoughts was Mega Lucario, except that it has proven itself to be too OP for the OU metagame. I'll think about some different Mega-Evolutions I could try, and if you have any suggestions on that front, I'm open to them.

Yeah, Stealth Rocks will be the death of your team. And Mega Garchomp is wasted in this team - I'd go for something such as Mega Latios/as, defensive set, with defog. If you did that, Starmie should drop Rapid Spin and go with Hidden Power Fire (Ferrothorn protection in case Infernape gets KO'd).

It is a nice team though, and I wish you luck! It must be hard creating an all sinnoh team lol.
Yeah, Stealth Rocks will be the death of your team. And Mega Garchomp is wasted in this team - I'd go for something such as Mega Latios/as, defensive set, with defog. If you did that, Starmie should drop Rapid Spin and go with Hidden Power Fire (Ferrothorn protection in case Infernape gets KO'd).
Just out of interest, here's a modified team I'm been trying out since. I took bits of advice from both of you, and included Mega Latias and Tangrowth on the team. So far, I seem to be getting walled less often than I used to. And I'm down to only two sash pokemon - the only reason I still have it on Starmie is because I'm not sure what item would work better for it, as of yet!

Anyways, the modified team:
Naive Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Tangrowth (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rock Slide

Starmie @ Focus Sash
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dazzling Gleam
- Rapid Spin

The only potential problem - Ice types are a bit more of a threat, but I guess there isn't such a thing as a "perfect" team, really.

I have a lot of changes for you.

Change Infernape to Mega Lopunny. Mega Lopunny is a lot better than a physical Infernape set. Mega Lopunny fully outclasses Physical Infernape and it gives you a very viable Mega that gives you a great matchup versus Offense. It also mitigates your weakness to Ice-types namely Weavile. Healing Wish allows you to give any teammate a second chance in the match.
Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EV's: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Healing Wish
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick

Next change Mega Latias to regular Latios. It gives you a very viable Defogger and general Wallbreaker.
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Adapt Garchomp's set to this one as it tanks far better and becomes are more reliable Setter.
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

The Tangrowth set isn't bad per se, but it isn't optimized. The following set is better for pivoting.
Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide

The Starmie set should be a Bulky Reflect Type set as it spins away hazards more reliably than the Offensive Set.
Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Reflect Type
- Recover
- Scald

Please note that these are some very great changes that benefits your team. Have fun and good luck!

Celticpride does this count as a rate?
Well, that'd be basically over half of my team replaced at this stage - and with me especially, Infernape is not a negotiable element. Starmie's purpose is coverage as well as Spinning hazards - so it would be a lot less useful if I adopted your suggested set. I don't see how Latios would be much better - Latias is better defensively, and I already have more than enough wallbreakers with my other pokemon.

Overall, I think that your suggestions are more about moulding it into a team that you yourself would probably chose - I'm aware that the team I'm going with is not probably the best competitive team going, but if I wanted to build a team on that basis alone, I could do that by copying and pasting the most competitive teams going - and that would be just boring. Suggesting the odd pokemon or moveset is one thing - but I think you are going a bit further than that with some of the suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)