-Decent Normal-typing, giving it no glaring weakness and STAB on Hyper Beam
-Great 97 base speed

[SET]

name: Late Game Sweeper
move 1: Body Slam
move 2: Super Fang
move 3: Hyper Beam
move 4: Blizzard / Bubblebeam

<p> Raticate is a really powerful sweeper in the RBY UU Metagame. The main goal is to send this thing in on a free switch or something that is asleep or resting. Once you've done this, proceed to Super Fang and cut the opponent down to size. If I were you, I'd brush up on my damage calculations, as not doing so could leave your Raticate leaving next to Gary's - in the grave. If you feel like Hyper Beam won't KO the opposing Pokemon, just use Body Slam, but don't exactly expect Raticate to get another hit in, as it has very poor defenses. Going back to calculations, a few things Super Fang + Hyper Beam will not KO include Poliwrath, Tangela, and Vaporeon. Also, note it's up to damage rolls as to whether you are able to KO Golduck. Finally, Blizzard is for hitting the Ground types that won't take anything from a Body Slam or Hyper Beam.

<p> Going back to Raticate's defense, a general tip is to keep this thing clear of paralysis and any other status moves. In fact, don't really let this thing take damage at all, it's defenses are some of the most poor in the tier.

skeleton below

[Overview]

-Has access to Super Fang, which halves the HP of any Target
-Decent Normal-typing, giving it no glaring weakness and STAB on Hyper Beam
-Great 97 base speed

[SET]

name: Late Game Sweeper
move 1: Body Slam
move 2: Super Fang
move 3: Hyper Beam
move 4: Blizzard / Bubblebeam

[SET COMMENTS]
-This set is used for nothing less than coming in late game and tearing holes in the foe's team
-Blizzard is for a soild 2HKO on Graveler, Sandslash, and Onix
-You could run Bubblebeam for coverage against Rocks / Grounds and Fire-types.
-Body Slam is in-case you can't K.O. something with Hyper Beam after the use of a Super Fang.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-Sending this thing in on something that just used Rest is an amazing play
-This is kind of obvious, but keep Raticate away from paralysis or sleep
-Do not switch this thing in to anything that is awake

[CALCS]
Raticate Hyper Beam vs. Golduck: 168-198 (46.2 - 54.5%) -- 59.6% chance to 2HKO
-Important because this means it's up to rolls whether Golduck faints or not

Raticate Hyper Beam vs. Poliwrath: 146-172 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-Important because you CANNOT take out Poliwrath with Hyper Beam, so make sure you have supplemental damage coming from another Pokemon or a Body Slam (You should probably switch unless Poliwrath is asleep)

Raticate Hyper Beam vs. Tangela: 128-151 (38.4 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-Important because you cannot K.O. and this leaves Tangela free to Paralyze you

Raticate Hyper Beam vs. Venomoth: 194-229 (56.5 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-Will K.O.

Raticate Hyper Beam vs. Vaporeon: 194-229 (41.9 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-Comes close, but you won't exactly be K.O.'ing it in 2 hits

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Fighting move or not, don't let this thing take a hit ever:

Poliwrath Submission vs. Raticate: 216-254 (69 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Vaporeon Surf vs. Raticate: 165-195 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. Raticate: 141-166 (45 - 53%) -- 28.7% chance to 2HKO
Charizard Fire Blast vs. Raticate: 177-208 (56.5 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Kingler Crabhammer vs. Raticate on a critical hit: 189-223 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

BubbleBeam is solely for paranoia with regards to Blizzard accuracy.
Raticate BubbleBeam vs. Charizard: 69-82 (19.2 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO - you're not using this move versus anything not named Graveler.

Get a list of Pokémon that die to SFang+HBeam for some extra goodies. List Kabutops as a counter:
Raticate Hyper Beam vs. Kabutops: 68-81 (21 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
Raticate BubbleBeam vs. Kabutops: 39-47 (12 - 14.5%) -- possible 7HKO

Not much to agree or disagree with and I rather wait until you write the actual article. Honestly, unless the skeleton has some glaring mistakes, there's hardly anything to point out.

I could give you a couple of points here and there, but it's as superficial as if gets and not knowing how the article will turn out, maybe they would not be necessary to point out.

This set is used for nothing less than coming in late game and tearing holes in the foe's team
Not necessarily late, probably more to wear down/finish off amnesiers etc.

Bubblebeam is useless vs fires.

Remove the submission/fighting mention. I'm sure that between acc and recoil poliwarth's surf would be the more efficient move anyway.

Plasmanta

Banned deucer.
Not much to agree or disagree with and I rather wait until you write the actual article. Honestly, unless the skeleton has some glaring mistakes, there's hardly anything to point out.

I could give you a couple of points here and there, but it's as superficial as if gets and not knowing how the article will turn out, maybe they would not be necessary to point out.

Not necessarily late, probably more to wear down/finish off amnesiers etc.

Bubblebeam is useless vs fires.

Remove the submission/fighting mention. I'm sure that between acc and recoil poliwarth's surf would be the more efficient move anyway.
Do I have permission to write the analysis in article form now?

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Blizzard should be the standard choice as it gets the 2HKO on Sandslash most of the time, deals 34.5 - 40.8% to Tangela and still gets the 2HKO on Graveler.
Also, the damage done if your opponent switches to take the Bubblebeam is pitiful.
And the 9.8% freeze chance from Blizzard is still there.

Please note that this is in no way a guaranteed 2HKO on Sandslash though: 46.7 - 54.9%, and a 18.95% Critical Hit Rate.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)