Rating Practice Team 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to the newest round of practice teams. If you're an aspiring rater, then these will hopefully allow you to pick up on and address any problems with your rating, as well as providing you with experience rating teams that have been specifically made to be as tough to rate as possible, and to make you think creatively in order to find the best changes. Any rates we receive will be replied to with personalized feedback by one of tab, Remedy, dragonuser, ShootingStarmie and Plus. Then, at the end of the round, we'll give some general hints and feedback on how things went, and post the best rate that we received as an example of how to rate the team.

Anyone is welcome to participate and send in their rate, and everyone will be guaranteed to receive feedback appropriate to the effort they put into their rate, regardless of their ability. However, to keep things fair we won't be considering rates sent in by official team raters as winners of the best rate.

If you'd like to take part in this round, send your rate to tab no later than Sunday 2nd March.

---

Hi everyone, it's ShootingStarmie, bringing you a team. This team is based around having Mega Heracross punch holes in the opposing team for either Garchomp or Azumarill to clean up late game. It's done okay on the ladder, but I think this team can be improved, which is why I'm posting it here. Anyway, here's the team (shout out to MCBarrett for helping me make this team).

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast

Heracross is a very good wall breaker, mainly because of it's insanely high attack, and Skill Link. It also has pretty amazing bulk, even when un-invested. So Pin Missile is STAB and hits neutral targets very hard. Close Combat is STAB and offers nice general coverage with Pin Missile, as it hits the Steel types that can easily tank Pin Missile. Earthquake offers nice general coverage, and allow Heracross to hit Aegislash. Finally, Rock Blast is used to hit Flying types like Zapdos and Landorus-T on the switch. EVs are pretty standard, just to hit as hard and as fast as possible.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Latias has great synergy with Heracross, as it can easily weak down Heracross' best checks, like Landorus-T and Gliscor. Latias also supports the rest of the team with Defog and Healing Wish, two very key moves. Draco Meteor is STAB and hits everything bar Fairies and Steel types for solid damage. Psyshock is also STAB, allowing Latias to hit certain targets without having to lower your Special Attack. Healing Wish allows Heracross, Garchomp, or Azumarill a second chance at sweeping after they've been worn down. Finally, Defog removes hazards, allowing my sweepers to switch in freely. EVs are again standard, not much to say.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide

After Latias and Heracross were picked, I needed some to check certain threats to this team. Pinsir, Thundurus-I, Aegislash, and Talonflame were big problems for this core, so Hippowdon was added to check all of these threats. Earthquake is STAB, and hits decently hard. Slack Off keeps Hippowdon healthy for the majority of the match. Stealth Rock is the best move in the game, and needs to be on every team. Hippowdon is a great SR user just because it's so bulky. Finally, Rock Slide is a key move to hit Pinsir and Talonflame. I'm using SpDef Hippowdon to better check Aegislash.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 168 HP / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

Azumarill is a great sweeper, and in general has nice synergy with Heracross and Latias, as together they break through Azumarill's checks really nicely. Waterfall is STAB and hits stupidly hard on neutral targets. Aqua Jet is very useful for picking off weakened targets, but also allows Azumarill to sweep late game once it's checks are weakened. Play Rough is also STAB, and hits the Grass, Dragon, and Water types that would otherwise wall Azumarill. Finally, Belly Drum is used to allow Azumarill to sweep late game with a +6 boost in Attack. EVs are pretty standard, but 88 Speed EVs allows Azumarill to outrun Blissey and no Speed Jellicent, before they can Thunder Wave / Will O Wisp Azumarill.

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

So looking at the team I was pretty weak to Fairies, which is where Aegislash comes in. Aegislash checks all Fairies very nicely, and also provides me with a switch into the Lati twins. Shadow Ball is STAB and hits very hard. Shadow Sneak is very useful for picking off weakened targets. Flash Cannon is used mainly because I'm investing my EVs into Special Attack, so Flash Cannon is the better STAB option, and hits Fairy types for solid damage. Finally, King's Shield is used to allow Aegislash to switch forms. EVs provide Aegislash with bulk, and ability to hit very hard.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Finally, we have Garchomp. Garchomp is my revenge killer, as well as a late game cleaner. Outage is STAB and allows Garchomp to sweep late game. Earthquake is STAB and hits Steel types like Scizor and Aegislash that can easily tank Outrage. Dragon Claw is a weaker STAB alternative, but it's use is to revenge kill a threat without locking yourself into Outrage. Finally, Stone Edge offers coverage to hit Skarmory and Togekiss on the switch. EVs are standard, and are used to maximise Speed and power output.

Well, there's the team. Have fun rating guys

EDIT: DON'T REPLY TO THIS THREAD. If you want to rate this team, then please read the first paragraph and send your rate to tab.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Heya guys.
You all have been provided with a feedback for your rate, and I hope that it has been helpful to you !

Now it's time to analyze how you performed as a whole.
Well I must admit that this turn hasn't been the easiest for our aspiring raters. Some of you noticed that some physical powerhouses could break through the team and that's good. But you often decided to make a drastic change to fix it, instead of shifting Hippowdon's EVs. Always look for the simplest change !
Many thought about Rotom-W, and that's interesting because he does offer the pivoting potential this team needs ! However, Rotom-W isn't the only pokemon able to pivot, and isn't the best candidate for the team at this point. While Rotom-W is a really fine member for 75% of the teams, don't fall into quick rating ! And try to always find the most-suited pokemon for every single situation !

By the way, fixing the threats isn't the only way of improving a team ! Raters trying to improve the way the win condition is prepared, and the synergy between the members will be encouraged !

The next round will be up soon, stay tuned !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)