1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

RB challenge!

Discussion in 'Historical Threads' started by HookInMouth, Jun 21, 2012.

1. HookInMouth

HookInMouth

Hi guys! Just signed up but ive been on this site before.

Me and my mates are doing a red and blue challenge, basically theres 4 of us but 3 main players and another for extra competition. The three main players
    ( including myself) will randomly choose a starter pokemon so that we each start with a different starter then we start our journey. We then proceed to beat the league in the quickest time but as soon as the first person finishes we will battle with the pokemon we have. With a minimum game time of 5 hours. So as soon as one player finishes all other players must stop playing once they reach the same time when the save is recorded in the HoF. Then we battle with whatever pokemon are in our party. The catch is also that whatever pokemon we battle with then we must use for lv 100 battles later to avoid catching higher level pokemon in the indigo plateau for instance. Also there is no trading allowed, not even ingame except for evolving pokemon ie kadabra. My strategy is to blitz the start and get an abra then quickly get an alakazam, keep on and catch a snorlax and soon after a staryu in order to get a starmie and finally a tauros. They will have standard movesets except that starmie will have psychic over thunderwave and snorlax will have surf over earthquake ( since there is only 1 tm of each in the game). Eventually i will add a chansey and the last spot im not sure of although im leaning towards excegutor due to only one earthquake in the game. Im doing a practice run atm but im hoping i can have decent levels and the league beatn by approx 7 hours, preferably less to catch my mates off guard.
    So im after thoughts and opinions? Thanks
  2. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

You should post in this subforum: Ruins of Alph

As for your question, Alakazam's a solid choice. Tauros and Chansey would be worthless trying to obtain without the glitch where you surf on Cinnabar Island. You can also use a similar glitch to obtain infinite TMs (and other items)

Alakazam, Starmie and Snorlax are good choices. Instead of Tauros, Dodrio; Persian (only in Blue); or Clefable may be more accessible Normal-types. Other good mons include Tentacruel (120 base Special, Wrap), Jynx, Golem (immunity to electricity, normal resist, Explosion and STAB EQ), Exeggutor (ground resist, awesome bulk and special power, Sleep Powder, Explosion), Slowbro (Amnesia), Lapras, Kingler (base 130 Atk and decent Speed; Swords Dance), Jolteon, and Rhydon (STAB EQ from base 130 Atk hurts; same typing as Golem). You can also obtain Mew using a glitch (it involves not fighting 2 trainers - a Gambler (holds Poliwag / Poliwhirl iirc) between Pokemon Tower and Saffron City and a Camper(?) after the Nugget bridge with Slowpoke.

EDIT: Gengar is also pretty cool - good Speed & great Special, immunity to Normal and Grass moves makes it a good counter to Normal-types and Grass-types without Earthquake or STAB Psychic. It is also a fastest Sleeper with the ability to Explode.
  3. HookInMouth

HookInMouth

Sorry! Im on phone and it sucks looking through stuff on the net.
    I forgot to mention no legendaries and no cheats/ glitches in order to make this as challenging and legitimate as possible. Therefore single tms only. Realy testig our skills!
    I know that tauros will be difficult to catch but i plan to save before each attempt in order not to waste too much time. Ive read that he is normally a guarantee on a team? Im leaning towards exceggutor as a sleeper but rhydon also looks very impressive!
  4. HookInMouth

HookInMouth

Im trying to stay away from UU pokemon because we'll also have battles at lv100 and OU's should beat them easily enough. Im really only planning to train the three pokemon and snoralx if i have time in order to finish first so the others are unprepared. Gengar would be good but ill already have alakazam as my starter so im not sure if he'll fit in anywhere else? Especially since i have te option of exceggutor as a sleeper And sleep powder has better accuracy than Hypnosis. The other reason i chose alakazam is because i can get an abra early enough in the game so i dont have to waste too much time on my starter ( since i dont want to use him in our little tournament) but his psyhic attacks will dominate the poison types you have to battle ( ie team rocket, erika and lavender tower) then when i catch my other main pokemon i can focus on training them due to alakazams higher level. Ill only be battling trainers and collecting items if necessary in order to save time. I also figure its not worth training too many at the start of the game as those battle will take just aslong as battles would in indigo plateau but there ill get more experience... If that makes sense. But im also thinking about what could counter my mates pokemon and im sure theyll all use starters. Im also confident that theyll use gengar, chansey, nidoking, snorlax and even starmie and gyarodos or a combination of these pokemon. Were due to start this challenge next week. It would be interesting to see what other players can manage with these rules in place just so there is a standard of finish times/ levels. Has anyone tried something like this? Or would even attempt this challenge to see how they would fare?
  5. Pocket

is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Trying to capture Tauros in Safari Zone would be a BITCH - most likely not worth your time. I would probably capture Zapdos with a Master Ball, too. I would definitely save Psychic TM on something like Exeggutor than Starmie. I'd give Starmie Surf or prolong evolving it until it learns Hydro Pump.
  6. HookInMouth

HookInMouth

It would be i might try my luck for a bit cos if i get him he'llbe very useful. No legendaries so no legendary birds, mew or mewtwo. Catching a lv 50 would make it alot easier and wpuld deter someone else from finishing the game to quickly. What would exceggutor moveset be? If i was to forgoe psychic on starmie what would i replace it with? Ill have recover, surf and thunderbolt on it already. And my alakazam will have thunderwave. Ill save ice beam
    For chansey and blizzard for a tauros ( whenever i catch him). He learns hydro pump around lv 47 or so might be too late could have beaten the league before that haha. Also training a staryu for that long instead of a starmie would hurt my time so id rather surf over hydro pump.
  7. Pocket

I dunno if Starmie is really worth it without either Thunder Wave or Blizzard...

Exeggutor's moveset:

~ Psychic
    ~ Sleep Powder
    ~ Explosion
    ~ Stun Spore / Double-Edge

Double-Edge is great to nail Alakazam, Chanseys, and other Exeggutor. Mega Drain is also another option to do big damage to Golem / Rhydon and Starmie.
  8. Yai-Inn

Yai-Inn

Golem is likely your best choice for 6th slot.
    Just plan it through...

Alakazam
    - Psychic
    - Recover
    - Thunderwave (TM)
    - options in the fourth spot
    ^ gonna wanna use the TW tm on Zam, he's the best at spreading paralysis. Catch Abra early enough and raise him up quick.

Snorlax
    - Body Slam
    - Hyper Beam
    - Surf
    - Self-Destruct
    ^ Lax is nice cause you get BS and HB without having to use a TM. Not having EQ around means Gengar counters it decently. It also levels up slowly.

Tauros
    - Body Slam (TM)
    - Hyper Beam (TM)
    - Earthquake (TM)
    - Blizzard (TM)
    ^ Tauros is great at what he does and gets all the TMs to do it. Surfing up and down the cost of Cinnabar Island after visiting the Safari Zone will be an easier way catch it rather than in the SZ alone.

Chansey
    - Softboiled (TM)
    - Icebeam (TM)
    - Thunderbolt (TM)
    - Sing / Counter (TM)
    ^ Very similar to Tauros. Easier to catch at Cinnabar and needs a lot of the TM's but is worth it.

Exeggutor
    - Sleep Powder
    - Psychic (TM)
    - Explosion (TM)
    - Stun Spore / Mega Drain (TM) / Double Edge (TM)
    ^ Again easier to catch at Cinnabar. Here comes a small problem with the team, catching 3 pokemon around the Safari Zone will make it hard to level them all up at the same time.

At this point you've used up most of your TM's (Body Slam, Earthquake, Thunderbolt, Thunderwave, Hyperbeam, Blizzard, Icebeam, Psychic, Explosion) and the options for the last slot are becoming more limited. Starmie is pretty much out of usable moves even with its incredible move pool.
    I suggest Golem..

Golem
    - Earthquake
    - Explosion
    - Rockslide (TM)
    - Substitute (TM) / Fire Blast (TM) / Double Edge (TM)
    ^ Not having Body Slam hurts, but compared to Rhydon it's a far better choice. Rhydon doesn't learn EQ. And you can catch a Geodude early and raise it up quickly.
  9. HookInMouth

HookInMouth

I really want to use starmie but now im think i might have to go without. In my test runs when ive used him he dominates everyone when ive taught him psychic and becomes really easy to train which helps alot on the time aspect of the challenge. But id prefer exceggutor over genar as my sleeper since alakazam will be my starter and due to opposing psychic forces. In my current test run i caught a chansey in the sf zone straight away i couldnt believe it! The tauros was a bit trickier but i only spent 5 minutes of game time on it an he trains easily despite his lower level at this stage of the game. In terms of the first part of the challenge im only on planning to train 3 pokemon and casually train my snorlax too. The reason i chose alakazam is that i can catch him early, abra evolves quickly, i can teach it TW and seismic toss straight away and due to his capabilities he dominates in game trainers. I thought about a geodude but it would be a bit of a struggle to train from too early on in conjunction with alakazam. I plan to blitz the game as quick as possible to the point that i catch snorlax and my SF zone mons. So ill carry on through with alakazam and get snorlax, tauros and now im thinking exceggutor over starmie ( hence why i would casually train snorlax as three fresh mons would be tricky an time consuming). The rest is straight forward enough. But i had a decision to make in my test run, just before the league i had about $150,000 so i had to choose between trading cash for couns to get hyperbeam for tauros or but proteins and carbos etc for the whole team. What is better? Also what do you think about my strategy? And how can i coutner a starmie now? I can teach exceggutor mega drain but then i dont have much backup... Thanks! But for the later battles chansey is definately a goo choice and i was thinking golem due to learning moves naturally... But still that team wont really have a sure-fure way to beat water types ie starmie...
  10. Yai-Inn

Yai-Inn

Chansey beats Starmie. Also beats Lapras.
    Slowbro (and possibly Cloyster) will be you're biggest problems.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)