[READ ME] Tips for Simple Hack Checks

HP Poison makes it sound more legit, as if you hack it with a specific HP it would be Bug, Flying, or Electric, at least not Poison. I don't see anyone have a reason to run HP Poison, but if you sr it I could see someone keeping that.
Combined coverage for faires+grass types?

I meant that you don't have any cut scenes or stuff like that, so it is possible to sr good ones because the sr'ing proccess is so quick.
The whole process is far from "quick", since there is no way to Synchronize the nature. Cut scenes are one thing, but if your chance to get the right nature is 1 in 25, you'll be soft resetting A LOT until you get a decent one.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
rellyms: it's unlikely, but appears legal from the information presented. Feel free to PM me the SID if you like as one more check (or send the entire pk6 file so I can check dates and other things too), but that (those) wouldn't be particularly difficult to hack if someone was so inclined.

I think this pretty much sums up the past 10 posts, so please only post about this if you have something new and non-subjective to add. I think it's been established that the SRing would be difficult but possible...

Edit: Just to add a number to this: you'd expect around 25,600 resets for all IVs over 30, and one nature of Naive, Hasty, Timid, Modest, so it's within the realms of plausibility IMO.

Last edited:
I accepted a trade and completed it and it was for a bad hack. But I didn't realize until it was in front of me.

Where do the rules stand on this?

.com

Grumpy old man
I accepted a trade and completed it and it was for a bad hack. But I didn't realize until it was in front of me.

Where do the rules stand on this?
I'm not sure what you're asking.

If the person traded you a hack, then try and settle the dispute with them via PM, and if they're being unresponsive or uncooperative then contact a moderator or take it to the blacklist thread.

If you're just saying "will I be blacklisted for having this hack on my cartridge?", then no? Just release it.

I'm not sure what you're asking.

If the person traded you a hack, then try and settle the dispute with them via PM, and if they're being unresponsive or uncooperative then contact a moderator or take it to the blacklist thread.

If you're just saying "will I be blacklisted for having this hack on my cartridge?", then no? Just release it.
My main concern is that I was offered and accepted it but I'm wondering what happens to the user who made the trade.

I'm not worried about me.

I have posted in the wrong thread though.

Language: Japanese
Species: Vullaby
OT: Ace
ID No.: 43983
IVs: Hex Flawless
Ability: Overcoat
Pokemon's name: In japanese
Level: 1
Pokeball: Ultra
Shiny?: Yes
Pentagon?: Yes
Moves: Leer, Roost, Knock Off, Foul Play
Nature: Impish
Region of origin: Kalos
Characteristic: Takes Plenty of Siestas
Ribbons: None
Other comments (optional): Got from WT. Says recieved from Day Care Helpers.

My main concern is the OT, as it doesn't look like it is right for the language

Tatertot

always the poet, never the poem
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

If it's from Wonder Trade, you really can't trust it (or trade it here). What do the characters in the OT look like? Japanese games have English characters, but the font is slightly different.

Does the OT font look kinda spaced in the game? If so, it looks alright. If not, then it's probably hacked.
Either way, since it came from Wonder Trade, I wouldn't trade it here, as it's near-impossible to verify whether it's hacked unless it's blatantly obvious (6IV shiny KB legendary, event legendary that normally cannot be WTed, etc.)

If it's from Wonder Trade, you really can't trust it (or trade it here). What do the characters in the OT look like? Japanese games have English characters, but the font is slightly different.
Does the OT font look kinda spaced in the game? If so, it looks alright. If not, then it's probably hacked.
Either way, since it came from Wonder Trade, I wouldn't trade it here, as it's near-impossible to verify whether it's hacked unless it's blatantly obvious (6IV shiny KB legendary, event legendary that normally cannot be WTed, etc.)
Characters are the regular characters, not the japanese ones. That was the only thing that made me suspicious... Bar the fact it was a 6IV shiny from WT

Characters are the regular characters, not the japanese ones. That was the only thing that made me suspicious... Bar the fact it was a 6IV shiny from WT
Looks like it was either injected or the language was changed via Powersaves. Either way, it's most likely a hack.

Esmeya

There's nothing left. Goodbye.
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Hello there, do the characters look like this:

ACE, Ace or ACE, Ace?

The rest of the information provided by other users is sufficient however.

Reactions: Jio
Today I decided to try to get my hands on a few Hoopa. I ended up with three different ones, traded to me from people on Showdown! and /vp/. I'm here to find out which ones are legit and which ones aren't (if there are any legit ones at all).
Language: JPN
Species: Hoopa
OT: えいがかん
ID No.: 07185
IVs: 31 | xx | 31 | xx | xx | 31
EVs (optional): N/A
Ability: Magician
Pokemon's name: フーパ
Level: 50
Pokeball: Cherish Ball
Shiny?: No
Moves: Hyperspace Hole / Psychic / Astonish / Nasty Plot
Nature: Modest
Characteristic: Capable of taking hits
Ribbons: Wishing Ribbon (A ribbon said to make your wish come true.)
Other comments (optional): Apparently had a fateful encounter

IVs: xx | 31 | 31 | xx | 31 | xx
Level: 52
Nature: Calm

IVs: 31 | xx | 31 | xx | xx | 31
Level: 50
Nature: Calm

I'm going to hunt for some other ones, but I first want to check if these are legit.

Last edited:
Any which came from Showdown... There's a very good chance those are hacked.
How come, and how can you see it? Just looked at Hoopa's Eventdex page at Serebii and neither of the Hoopa I listed seem suspicious. The only thing is that they were distributed only two days ago, but if one person gets his/her hands on a legit one and clones it a thousand times it'll be all over the place in no time.

.com

Grumpy old man
How come, and how can you see it? Just looked at Hoopa's Eventdex page at Serebii and neither of the Hoopa I listed seem suspicious. The only thing is that they were distributed only two days ago, but if one person gets his/her hands on a legit one and clones it a thousand times it'll be all over the place in no time.
How difficult did you find it to find Hoopa's event page? 'Cause the average hacker probably has the same (or more) experience with the internet, so would be able to find and copy those details just as easily...

Also, Pokémon Showdown! is (theoretically) moderated in what can and can't be traded, but I'm guessing you've visited the Wi-Fi page there... It's a non-stop stream of people posting requests/offers... In effect, it goes pretty much unmoderated (at least in terms of hacked Pokémon).

And yes, "if one person gets their hands on a legit one" works... But so does "if one person gets their hands on a hacked one", and then that spreads like wildfire. Given the policy on Smogon is no hacks, then leaning on the side of caution with such things is significantly preferable, and having much more evidence that the thing isn't hacked before spreading it around everyone is the preferred way of doing things here.

If you would like a more official verdict on the Pokémon though:
Outwardly legal, but I have doubts about the source's integrity and would rather see some evidence of their legitimacy before their being traded here. [Note the difference between the terms legal and legitimate.]

How difficult did you find it to find Hoopa's event page? 'Cause the average hacker probably has the same (or more) experience with the internet, so would be able to find and copy those details just as easily...

Also, Pokémon Showdown! is (theoretically) moderated in what can and can't be traded, but I'm guessing you've visited the Wi-Fi page there... It's a non-stop stream of people posting requests/offers... In effect, it goes pretty much unmoderated (at least in terms of hacked Pokémon).

And yes, "if one person gets their hands on a legit one" works... But so does "if one person gets their hands on a hacked one", and then that spreads like wildfire. Given the policy on Smogon is no hacks, then leaning on the side of caution with such things is significantly preferable, and having much more evidence that the thing isn't hacked before spreading it around everyone is the preferred way of doing things here.

If you would like a more official verdict on the Pokémon though:
Outwardly legal, but I have doubts about the source's integrity and would rather see some evidence of their legitimacy before their being traded here. [Note the difference between the terms legal and legitimate.]
Alright, that's clear. So I'm basically not allowed to trade it here unless I have video of proof of someone picking it up at a Pokemon Center and checking its IVs? And how do I prove that person actually traded it to me? Want to know, since I'm hunting for more Hoopa. Thanks for the assistance in this.

.com

Grumpy old man
Alright, that's clear. So I'm basically not allowed to trade it here unless I have video of proof of someone picking it up at a Pokemon Center and checking its IVs? And how do I prove that person actually traded it to me? Want to know, since I'm hunting for more Hoopa. Thanks for the assistance in this.
There's no need for such (video or otherwise) evidence if it came from a reliable source (a known user here or on r/pokemontrades). In such a case however, merely stating whom it came from (or having them post in your thread to such effect) would be sufficient.

If the source is less reliable, then yes, some form of additional evidence is preferred. [Note: I'm not explicitly saying you can't trade them here. But I would like to think that most users would want at least the same level of verification as I do.] Additional evidence is more subjective since you can still trivially alter IVs and Nature even if you start with a legitimate one; so again, reputation of the source is a factor, regardless of the level of additional evidence provided (short of a complete, unbroken video of them receiving the wonder card, every single reset, and then them trading that to you).

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also, keep in mind that you are responsible for what you trade, regardless of whether it came from you or not. You've been on the blacklist once, and I doubt you want to end up on it again, so it's a good idea to not to trade these.

Also, keep in mind that you are responsible for what you trade, regardless of whether it came from you or not. You've been on the blacklist once, and I doubt you want to end up on it again, so it's a good idea to not to trade these.
Yeah, I'm definitely not doing it. Wasn't planning to either, since it's so risky. Like .com already said, a lot of people want at least some level of verification, and I'm certainly one of those. That's why I'm asking it here in the first place :)

Alright, I just got it on with this guy on Showdown! called 'Luigia'. He claimed the Hoopa he got is legit, since he got it from a giveaway and 'mods would never let a hack through'. I asked him to let a Showndown! moderator confirm if his Hoopa is legit, and this moderator called 'SpecsMegaBeedrill' actually told me the Hoopa from Luigia is legit. He also gave me evidence to show me he actually is a moderator. Thanks for the earlier info, .com, as it came in handy in this conversation.

Luigia: i have legit hoopa
Zetsu Myoken: How do you know it's legit?
Luigia: its calm has the ot of the event
Zetsu Myoken: Have you received it from a reliable source? A known trader who is trusted?
Luigia: bruh its been confirmed to be legit
Zetsu Myoken: Only that doesn't tell it's legit.
Luigia: i got it in a giveaway i think the mods wouldnt let a hacked mon get through
Luigia: its legit.
Zetsu Myoken: Giveaway on Wi-Fi on SHOWDOWN?
Luigia: yeah
Luigia: dude ur trolling or something
Zetsu Myoken: No, I'm not.
Luigia: yes i got it from a giveaway in ps
Luigia: hyperspacehole psychic astonish nasty plot untouched
Luigia: it still has the focus sash and everything
Zetsu Myoken: How difficult did you find it to find Hoopa's event page? 'Cause the average hacker probably has the same (or more) experience with the internet, so would be able to find and copy those details just as easily...
Zetsu Myoken: Also, Pokémon Showdown! is (theoretically) moderated in what can and can't be traded, but I'm guessing you've visited the Wi-Fi page there... It's a non-stop stream of people posting requests/offers... In effect, it goes pretty much unmoderated (at least in terms of hacked Pokémon).
Luigia: bruh
Luigia: idek where to find its event page wtf man
Zetsu Myoken: 'bruh bruh'
Zetsu Myoken: I just have doubts about the source's integrity and would rather see some evidence of their legitimacy.
Zetsu Myoken: If the source is less reliable, then yes, some form of additional evidence is preferred.
Luigia: DUDE
Luigia: its japanese
Zetsu Myoken: Additional evidence is more subjective since you can still trivially alter IVs and Nature even if you start with a legitimate one; so again, reputation of the source is a factor, regardless of the level of additional evidence provided.
Luigia: ask the mods its legit
Luigia: dude im actually scared why r u talking like this
Luigia: nobody talks in full crazy perfect sentences that quickly
Zetsu Myoken: If you can ask a moderator here to actually confirm it's legit, I'm trading with you.
Luigia: sure
Zetsu Myoken: I'm waiting.
Luigia: pming a mod rn chill
Zetsu Myoken: Meanwhile you can take a look at my trade thread to see what you want for it:
Zetsu Myoken:http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/flukes-trading-temple.3543258/
Luigia: would u be willing to offer multiple mons
Zetsu Myoken: Yeah, sure.
Luigia: im interested in mainly magikarp dratini and swablu
Zetsu Myoken: Alright, would we have a deal when you get those three?
Zetsu Myoken: Still there, Luigia? I'm down to do the trade :)
Luigia: yeah
Luigia: ok
Luigia: sure its a deal
Luigia: I think the wifi is still down
Luigia: so we can exchange fc but we have to wait till the oras service is up
Luigia: whats ur fc
Luigia: and ign
Zetsu Myoken: Any idea when it'll be up again?
Luigia: somebody said 3 hours like twenty minutes ago
Luigia: just remember my user and pm me when its up but gimme ur fc for no
Zetsu Myoken: My FC is 5301-0993-8775 and my IGN is Fluke. What's your FC and your IGN?
Luigia: 1177 7144 4678 ign deniz
Luigia: registered
Zetsu Myoken: Cool. Definitely want to trade with you, since yours seems to be legit. Will you be on Showdown tomorrow?
Luigia: mhm
Luigia: just pm me
Luigia: whats ur timezone
Zetsu Myoken: GMT+1
Luigia: what time is it for you right now
Zetsu Myoken: Yours?
Luigia: idk the abreviations
Zetsu Myoken: It's 01:37 for me.
Zetsu Myoken: AM.
Luigia: EST i think?
Luigia: im on the east coast of the us
Luigia: 7:37 for me
Zetsu Myoken: I'm in Europe, lol.
Luigia: dam
Luigia: around 14 hours from now will be when i wake up around 9:am 8:00 am
Luigia: so like 3 pm for you
Luigia: around
Luigia: im not a mathmetician lml
Zetsu Myoken: Haha, I'll just check you tomorrow. See you then.

SpecsMegaBeedrill: The Hoopa Luigia is giving you has been approved by The staff to be legit.
Zetsu Myoken: Alright, that sounds sweet. Can you show me somewhere that you are some sort of moderator here in the Wi-Fi section?
SpecsMegaBeedrill: Look on the top of the list :p
Zetsu Myoken: Does that % mean you are a mod?
Zetsu Myoken: Sorry, not really familiar here.
SpecsMegaBeedrill: Driver and Mods are staff.
Zetsu Myoken: What do you mean by that..? Sorry for the questions, just want to be sure.
SpecsMegaBeedrill: % = Driver @ = Moderator, both of them work to keep the room controlled.
Zetsu Myoken: Aright, thanks!
SpecsMegaBeedrill: Np! ~
Zetsu Myoken: Is there a way to export this chat? Like, a bigger window of this small chat screen? Or copy all the text in this chat at once?
SpecsMegaBeedrill: Nope its only viewed on the side like that
SpecsMegaBeedrill: Thats how big it gets.
Zetsu Myoken: A shoot, okay thanks.

I also have screenshots of these chats. Unfortunately Wi-Fi went under maintenance about an hour ago, so we aren't able to do the trade yet. We will tomorrow. I'll also post some proof I actually traded with this Luigia, whose in-game name is 'deniz', he said.

Will this be a good enough check by Smogon's standards? I mean, even a Wi-Fi moderator approved this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)