[READ ME] Tips for Simple Hack Checks

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Got this as an offer for my Gligar off the GTS and highly doubtful, could someone take a look?

Language: ENG
Species: Dialga
OT: Noah
ID No.: 09031
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs (optional): Unknown (It's been mainly EVed in SpAtk and HP it apperas)
Ability: Pressure
Pokemon's name: Dialga
Level: 50 (with partial Exp - 4684 Exp to next level)
Pokeball: Timer Ball
Shiny?: No
Pentagon?: Yes
Moves: Thunder/Fire Blast/Roar of Time/Flash Cannon
Nature: Modest
Region of origin: "Faraway Place" (received this in Y)
Characteristic: Takes plenty of siestas
Ribbons: None
Other comments (optional): Has no memories from the girl at Anistar. She goes on to talk about receiving him via Link Trade.

Thank you.
Hacked. Either way don't trust flawless Pokemon received from Wonder Trade.

I have an XY&Z Xerneas with the name as Xerneas instead of ゼルネアス and with the region tag "FRE."

Is this a hack or is there some way to redeem the Japanese event in a different region and have this legit? The rest of it checks out. Thanks!

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
I have an XY&Z Xerneas with the name as Xerneas instead of ゼルネアス and with the region tag "FRE."

Is this a hack or is there some way to redeem the Japanese event in a different region and have this legit? The rest of it checks out. Thanks!
It's fine (or at least, possible). Requires a Japanese system with the in-game language set to French. But most people wouldn't do it because of the doubtfulness of the legality :P easier just to leave it in Japanese.

It's fine (or at least, possible). Requires a Japanese system with the in-game language set to French. But most people wouldn't do it because of the doubtfulness of the legality :P easier just to leave it in Japanese.
As mentioned, it just depends on the language of the game it is redeemed on. For this particular event, it needs to be a Japanese console/version of XYORAS, but just like the PAL/US games you can set your language to one of the following seven:

- English
- Spanish
- French
- Italian
- German
- Japanese
- Korean

For Xerneas in particular, the only languages where the name doesn't appear as 'Xerneas' is Japanese (ゼルネアス) or Korean (제르네아스).

In the future, if you want to check whether the Pokemon can have a certain name with a certain language tag, just go to the Pokemon's page on Bulbapedia and go to the bottom (like here).

Last edited:
As mentioned, it just depends on the language of the game it is redeemed on. For this particular event, it needs to be a Japanese console/version of XYORAS, but just like the PAL/US games you can set your language to one of the following seven:
Great, thanks guys! The person I got it from was super nice and reputable, but I wanted to let them know in case they were trading away a hack and didn't know it.

Species: Suicune
OT: Joseph
ID No.: 37476
IVs: 31/13/30/31/31/31
EVs (optional): None
Pokemon's name: Dapper Dan
Level: 50
Pokeball: Master Ball
Moves: Scald, Substitute, Ice Beam, Icy Wind
Nature: Bold
Region of origin: Hoenn
Characteristic: Alert to sounds
Ribbons: Contest Star, Coolness Master, Beauty Master, Cuteness Master, Cleverness Master, Toughness Master, and Shock Ribbon
Other comments (optional): Date Met is 12/16/2014. It also has Pokerus. I received this Suicune via GTS off a snipe.

Ribbons: Contest Star, Coolness Master, Beauty Master, Cuteness Master, Cleverness Master, Toughness Master, and Shock Ribbon
Other comments (optional): Date Met is 12/16/2014. It also has Pokerus. I received this Suicune via GTS off a snipe.
If you can't trust the source and it came off GTS or WT then it's very unlikely to be legitimate.

Good call Albus

Last edited:

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
It is legitimate; its lucariojr's fully redis Bold Suicune, so you're fine with it.

I got this while I was looking for Legendaries for my Living Dex in the GTS.

Language: KOR
Species: Entei
OT: Some Korean characters
ID No.: 09200
IVs: XX/31/31/31/XX/XX
EVs (optional): very few, seems to have very few EVs, or at least in the super-training graphics doesn't seem to be trained
Pokemon's name: 앤테이 (Entei in Korean according to serebii)
Level: 50 (with partial Exp - 8,631 Exp to next level)
Pokeball: Nest Ball
Moves: Stomp/Flamethrower/Swagger/Fire Fang
Nature: Relaxed
Region of origin: "Faraway Place" (received this in X)
Characteristic: Capable of taking hits
Other comments (optional): The memory girl says: Entei (in KOR) was with (OT) when he caught Tornadus. The Pokemon remembers that it grinned. And... (Entei) became Alberto's friend when it arrived via Link Trade at... The Pokemon Day Care. The Pokemon remembers that it got emotional.

I think it is legit, but I got suspicios about the Pokeball.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
I got this while I was looking for Legendaries for my Living Dex in the GTS.

Language: KOR
Species: Entei
OT: Some Korean characters
ID No.: 09200
IVs: XX/31/31/31/XX/XX
EVs (optional): very few, seems to have very few EVs, or at least in the super-training graphics doesn't seem to be trained
Pokemon's name: 앤테이 (Entei in Korean according to serebii)
Level: 50 (with partial Exp - 8,631 Exp to next level)
Pokeball: Nest Ball
Moves: Stomp/Flamethrower/Swagger/Fire Fang
Region of origin: "Faraway Place" (received this in X)
Other comments (optional): The memory girl says: Entei (in KOR) was with (OT) when he caught Tornadus. The Pokemon remembers that it grinned. And... (Entei) became Alberto's friend when it arrived via Link Trade at... The Pokemon Day Care. The Pokemon remembers that it got emotional.

I think it is legit, but I got suspicios about the Pokeball.

What is wrong with it being in a Nest Ball?

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Since it's for lower level Pokemon I thought it would be difficult to catch. But I don't know, I just found it weird that it wasn't a Dusk Ball/Ultra Ball. I'm being noob, am I?
Haha you are right that it would be difficult to catch, but there is no reason to be suspicious just because it is in a Nest Ball I think :) but as with all Pokemon from Wondertrade, I would be careful with trading it. Either way it has bad stats and nature so I guess it doesn't matter lol

Haha you are right that it would be difficult to catch, but there is no reason to be suspicious just because it is in a Nest Ball I think :) but as with all Pokemon from Wondertrade, I would be careful with trading it. Either way it has bad stats and nature so I guess it doesn't matter lol
It was from the GTS actually. I don't need it for battling but for Living Dex completition. I'll keep it. :)

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Greetings, I got the following Pokémon a while ago from the GTS and I don't know whether or not I should use it:

Language: Japanese (Has the JPN tag)
Species: Zapdos
OT: ロンジヤ
ID No.: 25504
IVs: 31/7/31/31/31/30
EVs (optional): 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpDef
Pokemon's name: ヤンダ-
Level: 100
Pokeball: Moon Ball
Shiny?: Yes
Pentagon?: No
Moves: Thunderbolt, Hidden Power [Ice], Heatwave, Roost
Region of origin: Johto
Ribbons: Kalos Champion Ribbon, Sinnoh Champion Ribbon, Effort Ribbon, Alert Ribbon, Shock Ribbon, Downcast Ribbon, Careless Ribbon, Relax Ribbon, Snooze Ribbon, Smile Ribbon, Gorgeous Ribbon, Royal Ribbon, Gorgeous Royal Ribbon, Footprint Ribbon, Legend Ribbon, Contest Memory Ribbon 20, Battle Memory Ribbon 6
Other comments (optional): None

I've seen RNG'd shiny HP [Ice] Moon Ball Zapdos before, so it might be legit, but I want a second opinion on it.
Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
Greetings, I got the following Pokémon a while ago from the GTS and I don't know whether or not I should use it:

Ribbons: Kalos Champion Ribbon, Sinnoh Champion Ribbon, Effort Ribbon, Alert Ribbon, Shock Ribbon, Downcast Ribbon, Careless Ribbon, Relax Ribbon, Snooze Ribbon, Smile Ribbon, Gorgeous Ribbon, Royal Ribbon, Gorgeous Royal Ribbon, Footprint Ribbon, Legend Ribbon, Contest Memory Ribbon 20, Battle Memory Ribbon 6

I've seen RNG'd shiny HP [Ice] Moon Ball Zapdos before, so it might be legit, but I want a second opinion on it.

Best greetings.
I'd say it's legit. The IV spread checks out and I don't see anything that might be odd off. Maybe someone felt like putting it on GTS as it's not the optimal spread for Modest Zapdos?

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd say it's legit. The IV spread checks out and I don't see anything that might be odd off. Maybe someone felt like putting it on GTS as it's not the optimal spread for Modest Zapdos?
Sweet, thank you for your fast analysis.
I will keep it then.

Best greetings.
I highly doubt the legitimacy of it, to RNG the TID/SID for it would require waiting >15 minutes for each attempt, someone would have to really care about getting that specific TID and that specific IV spread shiny to bother doing that.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
I highly doubt the legitimacy of it, to RNG the TID/SID for it would require waiting >15 minutes for each attempt, someone would have to really care about getting that specific TID and that specific IV spread shiny to bother doing that.
Thanks for your analysis. Unfortunately I have 0 knowledge about how RNG worked in older generations, so for me it looked 'ok', but then again I can't judge.
Should I keep it or release it? I kinda like it, but on the other hand it doesn't feel authentic if it's most likely a hack. Sigh, what a shame.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
Well, I browsed through my boxes yesterday and I found 3 more Pokémon for which I need a second opinion:

Species: Mew
OT: E r i c
ID No.: 07384
EVs (optional): 252 HP, 232 SpDef, 4 Spd
Ability: Synchronize
Pokemon's name: M e w
Pokeball: Poke Ball
Moves: Defog, Will-O-Wisp
Nature: Calm
Characteristic: Takes plenty of siestas
Other comments (optional): The letters from the nickname and OT are "stretched", the letters in the Japanese versions of the game look different than ours.

Species: Thundurus-Therian
OT: マサナリ
ID No.: 10024
IVs: 31/5/30/31/31/31
EVs (optional): 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spd
Ability: Volt Absorb
Pokemon's name: ボルトロス
Pokeball: Dive Ball
Moves: Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power [Ice], Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
Region of origin: Unova

Language: English
Species: Raikou
OT: J.P.
ID No.: 13416
EVs (optional): 160 SpA, 200 SpDef, 148 Spd
Pokemon's name: Sabyre
Pokeball: Fast Ball
Moves: Thunderbolt, Extrasensory, Protect, Reflect
Nature: Calm

I got all these Pokes in random trades and/or the GTS, but since the 31/31/31/31/31/31 IV spread matches with the Calm nature, as shown in the first post, they were 'ok' for me.
However, due to the fact that I'm not familiar in the slightest with RNG, I just wanted to make sure by posting here.

Thank you very much in advance for your valuable opinions and advice.

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I'll just start off by saying that anything from Wonder Trade/GTS stands a very good chance of being hacked (when it comes to trading it's just safer to assume that). With that being said:

Mew seems legal at least. You're not the first to ask about that Mew and it's pretty prevalent online (not that that speaks to it's legitimacy). There's also a similar Timid one going around, which may have also been on Pokecheck at one point (doesn't mean it's hacked). I don't know anything about the OT, so I can't confirm nor deny its legitimacy (refer to opening statement).

Thundurus seems like an RNG from Gen V. Although it's a hack if it has its HA in the Incarnate forme. Again, I don't know the OT, so refer to opening statement.

I'd say Raikou is hacked.

edit: Welcome to Smogon btw ^_^

Last edited:

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
I'll just start off by saying that anything from Wonder Trade/GTS stands a very good chance of being hacked (when it comes to trading it's just safer to assume that). With that being said:

Mew seems legal at least. You're not the first to ask about that Mew and it's pretty prevalent online (not that that speaks to it's legitimacy). There's also a similar Timid one going around, which may have also been on Pokecheck at one point (doesn't mean it's hacked). I don't know anything about the OT, so I can't confirm nor deny its legitimacy (refer to opening statement).

Thundurus seems like an RNG from Gen V. Although it's a hack if it has its HA in the Incarnate forme. Again, I don't know the OT, so refer to opening statement.

I'd say Raikou is hacked.

edit: Welcome to Smogon btw ^_^
Thank you for your valuable opinion, much appreciated.
Yes, I keep those in a separate box because, being someone that is not familiar with the RNG abuse, it's hard for me to tell which ones are legit and which ones are hacked.
For the naked eye of someone without experience, they all look 'ok'.

Also thanks for the "welcome", I think that I had a great start here so far.

Last edited:
OT: Tarn
ID No: 28945
IVs: All 31s.
Ability: Impostor
Pokemon's name: Ditto
Level: level 30
Pokeball: Ultra Ball
Moves: Just Transform
Region of origin: Kalos(Friend Safari)
Characteristic: Likes to Thrash About
Other comments (optional): Guy who traded me this Ditto isn't the OT, and he got banned a day after joining.

OT: Tarn
ID No: 28945
IVs: All 31s.
Ability: Impostor
Pokemon's name: Ditto
Level: level 30
Pokeball: Ultra Ball
Moves: Just Transform
Region of origin: Kalos(Friend Safari)
Characteristic: Likes to Thrash About
Other comments (optional): Guy who traded me this Ditto isn't the OT, and he got banned a day after joining.
Most likely hacked. If someone recognizes the OT, feel free to correct me.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
Greetings again fellow trainers and collectors!

I currently have this interesting question on my mind that I wanted to ask away on this forum.
I am genuinely interested in all of your stances towards this topic so feel free to let me know.

What if you end up with a Pokémon that was a confirmed fully legit TSV hatched shiny at some point in the early days of X&Y and that can be found in many trade threads, but then you find out that it got slightly manipulated by someone with Powersaves! (For example: changed the ball, changed the IV spread and or the nature).

Now, since I own a Powersaves device myself for cloning purpose, I was wondering if I were to be allowed to revert such a manipulated Pokémon back to the original Ball, IV spread and nature combination that it was originally known for, or is it irrecoverably soiled forever? Does it keep the "manipulated" status even after having been reverted back to its original form?

I received such a Pokémon in question in a random trade recently and have been struggling with the decision whether or not I should do this.
I mean, it'd be nice to have it in its original form, right?

What would you guys do in this situation?
  • Keep?
  • Release?
  • Revert?
I am really looking forward to reading your thoughts on this matter.

Last edited:

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Greetings again fellow trainers and collectors!

I currently have this interesting question on my mind that I wanted to ask away on this forum.
I am genuinely interested in all of your stances towards this topic so feel free to let me know.

What if you end up with a Pokémon that was a confirmed fully legit TSV hatched shiny at some point in the early days of X&Y and that can be found in many trade threads, but then you find out that it got slightly manipulated by someone with Powersaves! (For example: changed the ball, changed the IV spread and or the nature).

Now, since I own a Powersaves device myself for cloning purpose, I was wondering if I were to be allowed to revert such a manipulated Pokémon back to the original Ball, IV spread and nature combination that it was originally known for, or is it irrecoverably soiled forever? Does it keep the "manipulated" status even after having been reverted back to its original form?

I received such a Pokémon in question in a random trade recently and have been struggling with the decision whether or not I should do this.
I mean, it'd be nice to have it in its original form, right?

What would you guys do in this situation?
  • Keep?
  • Release?
  • Revert?
I am really looking forward to reading your thoughts on this matter.

Best greetings.
The only real solution is to ask for the original from the person you got it from

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)