ORAS OU Ready, set, stallbreak. [Bulky offense / balance team]

At a glance:

Introduction:

Hey, I'm Widdly_Scuds. I spend most of my time 'round here on the WiFi forum breeding and SRing things. I don't spend much time posting on OU forums or laddering on PS!, but I do occasionally like to build teams and play on WiFi a lot. OK so the whole idea around this team is inspired by two things: I like using gyarados, and I fucking hate playing against stall teams. Luckily mold breaker taunt has ripped stall a new one since ORAS came out, and M-Gyara can set up in anything's face after that.

Teambuilding:

I started with stallbreaker M-Gyara for the aforementioned reasons. Obvs I can't have a team with just one mon, so I looked at some cores and found some that I liked

+
+
Saw this core in the Good Cores thread and I've been very happy with how these three worked together. I originally used CM+Magic Guard Clefable and AV Thunderdoge, providing great pivoting and potential win-cons.

+
+
+
I decided my team wanted Wish support and a bulky water, and I'd been having a lot of fun using Luvdisc-Mega lately, so I thought eh why not.

+
+
+
+
+
For a while I used Lando-I for rocks and wallbreaking and Exca for spinning and making good use of late game scarf. But idk Lando-I got b& or something lol so that didn't last for very long...

+
+
+
+
+
Wallbreaker Dragalge I found to be very useful for this team. Not much wants to switch into a draco and it has decent synergy. Proved to provide some decent offensive pressure and balk, plus the option for T Spikes.

+
+
+
+
+
For reasons detailed in posts, I chose to put SpDef Skarm with Defog > Excadrill. After Gyara megas I lack a proper ground immune and switch in to the likes of Lando-T and opposing Excadrill.

In-depth:

mr. fish (Gyarados) @

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt

6th gen was very kind to Gyarados, giving it a fantastic mega as well as much needed STAB for said mega. Stallbreaker M-Gyarados does what it needs to do very well, namely shutting down stall cores with taunt and setting up DDances to hit like a truck. It's still fantastic against other playstyles, especially with "will I mega or not?" mind games. Intimidate is extremely useful, forcing lots of switches allowing me to either pivot or dance for free. Waterfall and Crunch are obligatory STAB moves.

thunderdoge (Raikou) @

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch

Raikou is the second third of that core that I love using. Despite thunderdoge's piss-poor movepool, it provides great assets for the team. Fast volt-switching is extremely useful, AV gives it fantastic bulk for many switch-ins, and it has great synergy with other mons as I mentioned before. Thunderbolt and HP Ice are obvious choices, providing great neutral coverage. Volt Switch is for pivoting and momentum grabbing, and Shadow Ball is my best coverage option (don't want to run Aura Sphere because Rash nature kills my speed and special bulk, booo).

honey boo boo (Clefable) @

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

How to go from low-tier to S-Rank in 1 simple step: become fairy type lmao. Clefable is amazing this gen, with so much versatility. Originally I ran the CM set, which could 6-0 unprepared teams. After Landorus Calrissian met the banhammer, I chose to run rocks on Clefable, since it manages to be one of the best SR setter in the tier, whether I choose to do so early or mid game. Moonblast and Flamethrower give Clefable some decent offensive presence, which are further enhanced if I choose to run Life Orb. I prefer leftovers for longevity along with my last move, Soft-Boiled.

ayyy LMAO (Alomomola) @

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 144 HP / 244 Def / 120 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Mirror Coat

So this is a bit of a weird set... I came up with it a while ago when I had a team that didn't like YZard very much. The idea is to switch in, live solar beam 100% of the time after rocks, and KO with mirror coat. I added a lot more HP Bulk since then, and it can mirror coat on Fire blast and KO then, too. Otherwise Mega Luvdisc provides great wish support for my team, and can switch in on a number of things thanks to being so fat. Despite not having much offensive presence and being setup fodder, I find it putting in a lot of work.

plankton (Dragalge) @

Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

I originally wanted to run a specs set on Dragalge, but the utility Toxic Spikes provides is very helpful. At the same time, Dragalge puts huge pressure on my opponent with Adaptability Draco Meteor. Steel- and Fairy-types are the only 'mons that can safely switch in, which is why I respectively run Focus Miss and Slidge Wave. Draco Plate increases the power of Draco Meteor while allowing me to still change moves, and I can often bluff specs and KO with one of my other moves.

valyrian (Skarmory) @

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head
- Roost

Specially defensive Skarmory proved a better means of hazard removal for my team. Not only does it carry defog which removes rocks from my side of the field, it provides my team with a necessary immunity to ground attacks, after gyarados loses its flying type. With a specially defensive nature, Skarmory can sponge up a lot of special attacks especially from the likes of Mega Gardevoir and Mega Diancie (respectively 2HKOd and OHKOd by Iron head), and still have great physical bulk. I chose Rocky Helmet to further punish physical attackers, since with so many resistances Skarmory can switch into lots of contact attacks and roost off damage or whirlwind them away.

Retired member:

TTGL (Excadrill) @

Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head​

In Conclusion:

R8, H8, masturb8, celebr8. I don't have replays or laddering achievements, because as I said I mostly play on WiFi, I just adjusted the spreads from lv. 50 to lv. 100. Hoping to eventually ladder and get some good replays, but first I'd love to get some second opinions from all you lovely people who know more than I do :) Thanks for reading!

mr. fish (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt

thunderdoge (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch

honey boo boo (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

ayyy LMAO (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 144 HP / 244 Def / 120 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Mirror Coat

plankton (Dragalge) @ Draco Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

valyrian (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head
- Roost

Last edited:
This is probably one of the most beautiful rmt's and well built teams I have seen on here in a while nice job :). There are just a few optinal suggestions I would Like to point out here.

1. Extrasensory>Shadow ball on Raikou because your team has a decent fighting weakness in Gyarados and Excadrill So it might help out against Conkeldurr
2. If you Feel like its necessary you could try running a defensive/specially defensive Excadrill set with leftovers and then give it rocks, because I dont think its very beneficial to lock yourself scarfed into rapid spin.
3. ONLY IF YOU MAKE THE ABOVE CHANGE you could try running an Unaware wall clefable with heal bell because prankster sableye and rotom wash can get burns on your hard hitting physical attackers
4. I dont really see the point in the Alomomola when you can always run specially defensive Mirror coat Milotic to counter ZardY just as well and can act as a more effective wall with recover.
Clefable

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

That is all I have to say but other than that you have done a very good job in my opinion :)

Last edited:
This is probably one of the most beautiful rmt's and well built teams I have seen on here in a while nice job :). There are just a few optinal suggestions I would Like to point out here.

1. Extrasensory>Shadow ball on Raikou because your team has a decent fighting weakness in Gyarados and Excadrill So it might help out against Conkeldurr
2. If you Feel like its necessary you could try running a defensive/specially defensive Excadrill set with leftovers and then give it rocks, because I dont think its very beneficial to lock yourself scarfed into rapid spin.
3. ONLY IF YOU MAKE THE ABOVE CHANGE you could try running an Unaware wall clefable with heal bell because prankster sableye and rotom wash can get burns on your hard hitting physical attackers
Clefable

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

That is all I have to say but other than that you have done a very good job in my opinion :)
Thanks for the rate!

1. I'll try out running extrasensory on Raikou and see if that helps out, but fighting-types haven't been too much trouble since I usually don't Mega gyara right away.

2. I've thought about the possibility of SpDef Exca, though never used it myself. Having rocks on it would be nice, I agree.

3. Would Unaware clef be a better choice for this team? I did mention the Magic Guard + CM + LO set which I like to run, and seeing as how I already have Alo wish passing, I might prefer that set.

Thanks for the rate!

1. I'll try out running extrasensory on Raikou and see if that helps out, but fighting-types haven't been too much trouble since I usually don't Mega gyara right away.

2. I've thought about the possibility of SpDef Exca, though never used it myself. Having rocks on it would be nice, I agree.

3. Would Unaware clef be a better choice for this team? I did mention the Magic Guard + CM + LO set which I like to run, and seeing as how I already have Alo wish passing, I might prefer that set.
Thanks for replying :)

So you could switch alomomola to a specially defensive miltotic with mirror coat and recover which fulfills the same purpose you desire to counter Mega Charizard Y, and then switch Clefable to a Wish passing Clerk Unaware Wall, therefore keeping wish pass and having heal bell. The thing is in doing this you will have to switch to the defensive excadrill with rocks because Clef will no longer have them.

Think of it like this
1. You switch Mega Luvdisc to Milotic for a better wall and provides same purpose
2. In doing that you switch clefable to an unaware wish passer and clerk(heal beller) to keep the wish passing ability in alomomola.
3. In doing that you unscarf excadrill to make it a defensive rock setter since clefable no longer provides stealth rock.
So it is kind of like a chain, you switch this, so you have to do this and then this to keep utility.

This is obviously just my suggestion but I think it works out better because you have more options with excadrill and Milotic can single turn recover with recover and possibly scald burn opposing Pokemon

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
This is probably one of the most interesting and fun teams I've seen in RMT forums haha. Anyways, one thing I noticed is that your team doesn't have a ground immunity/resist, as pokemon like Sand Rush Ada LO drill and E Plate Lando T can run through your team. One thing I'm suggesting is Skarmory>Excadrill. Skarmory can get rid of hazards with defog, as well as counter Excadrill and Landorus T, while being immune to ground all at the same time. I know scarf drill was your Mega Manectric and Heatran check, but you have Gyarados for Heatran as well as Clefable and Dragalge for Mega Manectric.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Set Details: I suggest specially defensive Skarmory just because you're very weak to Mega Gardevoir and Diancie, as Modest Hyper Voice/Psyshock will ohko/2hko almost everything on the team. Iron Head to do damage to Mega Gardevoir and Diancie, Defog to get rid of hazards, Roost for Recovery, and Whirlwind to phaze out pokemon like Gardevoir if it has set up a CM.

I hope you take this change into consideration! GL with the team bro :]

So after seeing the above posters post it seems very viable as well, so In connection you could do the milotic and switch clefable set but instead of running defensive excadrill Skarmory is a very good option as well as it provides hazard removal and stealth rock just like excadrill.

tbh not a huge fan of Milotic, but I can see how it's a viable option should I choose clerec unaware clefable. However, I've had more success with the CM set, and the huge wishes Alo gives me is often vital.

I like the idea of SpDef Skarm, going to test it out some and update the team with the above set later if it works.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
I've been testing this in a couple games with Moonblast SR Wish Protect Unaware Fable, Mirror Coat SPDef Milotic and SPDef Skarm; it looks super solid, the only doubt I have is if I should switch out Flame Orb for Leftovers on Milotic. The ability to tank up physical hits is super useful - especially when paired when Scald's burn - but you have like 20% less health per turn compared to Leftovers, so I would like to hear the raters' opinions on Milotic's item.

As for the hazard choices, I think Defog Skarmory + SR Clefable is the most solid combination you have; having Defog + SR on the same mon is pretty bad as people will switch things that threaten Skarmory on your Defogs and you won't get secondary turns to set your own SR, which means if you ever fall behind in the hazards game it's almost impossible to take control back, especially since this team seems to suffer chip damage a lot. I might consider trying out Flamethrower Fable with Moonlight > WishProtect, as Ferrothorn and Scizor are indeed quite hard to break through, but wishpassing is quite a strong option so it might not be worth it. HP Fire on Raikou doesn't seem as good because you can just vswitch to Dragalge on Thorn's switch in and threaten Focus Blast allowing you to set TS, but perhaps I could test that too.

Thanks for the rates!

oml it's too ez I'm going to try out HP Fire on Raikou, but tbh I haven't had much of an issue with aforementioned bulky steels. Like it was just mentioned above, a combination of Raikou and Dragalge (even clefable with full health can live BP and OHKO back with Flamethrower) deals with those mons decently. Ice has been useful but I will see how Fire does.

The Idiot Ninja I chose to not run milotic after all. My main bulk now comes from SR Cleft + Sp Def Skarm + Wish Alo. I decided to keep SR Clef after all, because yeah fuck running SR and defog on the same mon.

I'm going to update the OP with all my current sets etc

I'd just like to note that it is a good team however; with the addition of skarmory over excadrill, it kind of cripples its stallbreaking potential. For example, chansey and Kyu -B become huge threats. Volt-turn cores become an issue as well as offensive starmie, defensive rotom wash. I would also consider running more speed on gyarados to deal with faster statusers like Breloom, celebi, and to outspeed offensive heatran. To sum it up, i feel like this is no longer a stallbreaking team or even bulky offense. It plays more like balance now due to it's limited offensive pressure.

I realize you dont want stealth rock and defog on the same pokemon but with Gyarados being your only wallbreaker, having clefable as a cleric would help gyra's longevity. If gyra dies or becomes crippled due to status, chansey completely walls this team. If it is thunderwave chansey, that can be played around and stalled out. But toxic or burns are a huge issue. KYU-B special can come in and revenge everything

Now on to the fun part- If you want creative alternatives or fun mons to work with I got some fun sets to throw out.
I feel this team lacks pressure and could really use the benefits of a Knock-off mon. So humor me if you will.

Dragalge and skarmory have alot of problems. Mainly lack of speed control is what im trying to address as well as attempting to check certain threats.
First this is defintely not a common mon but can handle alot of threats to this team.

Drapion @ Choice Scarf/Dread Plate
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Fire Fang/Ice Fang/Pursuit
- Aqua Tail
Although this may seem like an odd scarf user. It helps against alot of pokemon in this meta. Mega Gardevoir,Jirachi, celebi,mew, weavile, breloom, chansey, alakazam not mega unless you run jolly, outspeeds mega lopunny and mega manetric, DD Mega Altaria, Azu. Sash, life orb, and dread plate or also good options but i feel this team needs some speed control.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon/Choice Scarf/Earth Plate
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Rapid Spin
-Rock Slide/Stealth Rock

You can probably tell I like bluffing with plates. I feel like either excadril or drapion are good scarfers but i realize that this team would now have an enormous ground weakness. An air balloon would slightly mitigate this but is no means a switch in.

I've really enjoyed playing with this team. I think it has alot of potential but also has room for improvement. Fantastic JOB!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)