RMT Receding Tide (Peaked #1)

------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiya CAP, and welcome to my first RMT! I decided to try out a fairly standard rain team, although it does have some hidden surprises to catch out opposing pokemon. I peaked first in the ladder with this team, and my record at that point was 59-6. Of course, ladder rankings don't hold much evidence of a good team due to the sheer amount of poor teams or all-CAP teams on the ladder.

Without further ado...

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252HP/252Def/4SpA

Scald
Perish Song
Toxic
Ice Beam

So we start off with the Pokemon every player should have if they were to make a rain team. Politoed's main job is obviously to set up rain, but he has other niches to fulfill. He's a defensive behemoth and can switch in on a plethora of physical attackers. Scald gives a chance to negate even more damage with the possibility of a burn. Perish Song is particularly effective in stopping sweeps and stalls, or just finishing off the game when there's only one pokemon left on the opponent's field. Toxic is just for extra damage, and is always good when needed. Sadly, Politoed's main two switch-ins (Krilowatt and Mollux) take nothing from Toxic. Ice Beam is for coverage, especially against Pokemon such as Outrage-locked Dragonite and Garchomp, amongst others. Whilst this guy does his job effectively, I'd say he's the member of my team which I let go out first. He's completely walled by the common Mollux and Krilowatt, and usually goes down early-ish in the game. Despite setting up the rain, I tend to choose a different lead, mainly to counter the predicted leading Krilowatt and Mollux, and also to scout the opponent's team effectively.

Mollux @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252HP/252SpD/4SpA

Recover
Toxic Spikes
Stealth Rock
Lava Plume

Mollux is a bulky behemoth, where his stalling potential is doubled in rain. The combination of Dry Skin and Leftovers means that it remains with 85-90% of its HP after switching in to a Modest Mollux's Thunder. Mollux switches into a whole bunch of opposing Pokemon, such as the ever-common Tomohawk, Cyclohm, Voodoom and opposing Mollux, as well as the majority of special atackers in OU which don't carry Earthquake or STAB Psychic. It can then force switches and set up Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes. At this current moment, I haven't found Toxic Spikes as useful as I want it to be due to all the Steel types, Krilowatt and Tomohawk floating around the metagame, as well as the common Mollux which absorbs those Toxic Spikes with ease. Now, you may be wondering why I'm packing Lava Plume on a rain team, on a defensive set. The answer is fairly simple; it allows me to pick off Syclant and deal enough damage to Ferrothorn. The chance of burn is always handy when a Pokemon such as Colossoil switches in to Mollux. EVs are once again pretty self-explanatory, giving Mollux the ability to become a fearsome special wall. Whilst I'm a huge fan of Molllux, I'm thinking about changing it to Blissey or Ferrothorn, as it doesn't help my ground weakness on my team.

Tomohawk @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
Nature: Modest
EVs: 140HP/252SpA/116Spe

Hurricane
Aura Sphere
Roost
Rapid Spin

This guy is simply a star. It indulges in sweeping unprepared teams, and is a great asset to my team. It is my only true counter to Colossoil (Okay Politoed as well) and can fire off fearsome Hurricanes which put a dent in the opponent's team no matter what the switch in. Whilst Intimidate helps me out against the likes of physical dragons, Prankster Roost is vital for Tomohawk's survivability, alongside some HP investment to take hits well. This set can be walled by Mollux and Kitsunoh, which is why I've contemplated giving it Earth Power, but I feel the need to clear away any hazards is much more important. Tomohawk is probably the most fearsome and important member of my team, and so it is vital that I keep it for as long as possible. This guy can take out the majority of CAPmons with ease, firing off Hurricane for Voodoom/Necturna,etc and Aura Sphere for Stratagem and Colossoil.

Krilowatt @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4Def/252SpA/252Spe

Thunder
Ice Beam
Surf
Earth Power

This mon is an extremely important member of my team. It may be the standard set, and so a little predictable, but that doesn't detract anything away from the sheer power Krilowatt inflicts on its opponent's side. The coverage Mollux has is simply immense. It can guarantee at least one kill per game, and hit every mon for neutral damage. There are only 4 pokemon who wall this set, although they can be eventually whittled down due to the onslaught of power Krilowatt provides. Gastrodon, Malaconda, Ferrothorn and Blissey are those four, the latter three being seen commonly in this metagame. Krilowatt is amazing at taking down Aurumoth, Tomohawk, Poltoed, non-scarf Colossoil, the list just goes on and on. EVs are once again self-explanatory; I want all Krilowatt to have immense power, and high speed. I chose Timid over Modest simply because I want to outspeed opposing Krilowatt if it ever comes to that 1v1 situation. I also use this guy as a lead on occasion to scare out Tomohawk/Mollux/Politoed leads.

Kitsunoh @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Frisk
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spe

ShadowStrike
U-Turn
Earthquake
Trick

I love Kitsunoh. It's great at grabbing momentum, crippling walls and firing off hard-hitting moves. I use it as a lead on most occasions, as it scouts the opponent's item which really comes in handy (for example, I can find out whether the Colossoil is scarfed or not, which will help my Krilowatt deal with it). I usually U-turn out, dealing some good damage and giving me momentum. If the lead is Mollux, I usually use Earthquake, as the opponent is tempted to Fire Blast, and if the lead is say, Ferrothorn, I use Trick to cripple its effectiveness in the metagame. Shadowstrike is to hit Psychic and Ghosts hard. I think that Kitsunoh's main selling point is its typing, allowing me to switch in on a lot of threats, including Tomohawk. Kitsunoh's fire weakness is negated in rain, meaning that the only thing to hit it hard with is a powerful EQ. However, I usually lose 1v1 with Intimidate Tomohawk, as it can fire off Hurricanes which I'd prefer to take a little better, and my Shadow Strikes are less effective due to the attack decrease from Intimidate.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252Atk/4SpD/252Spe

Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Outrage
Stone Edge

Garchomp is a great Pokemon and the surprise factor on my team; it is the answer to the mighty Krilowatt. Most Krilowatt would prefer to stay in and fire off an Ice Beam, but with the use of Earthquake and Choice Scarf, I can OHKO Krilowatt, which is vital as otherwise my team has very little to counter it, aside from my own Krilowatt. Furthermore, this set can function as a terrific late-game sweeper, as well as destroying any Kitsunoh and Mollux. Cyclohm is a problem however since it can survive an Outrage, and fire off Draco Meteor. It's also a good answer to special walls such as Blissey, although I still have problems against Blissey and I'd like those problems to be fixed. Initially, I was using a Cyclohm in this slot, but it only greatened my weakness to ground. Wanting a physical hitter which was immune to ground, I chose Dragonite, which whilst effective, meant that I now had a weakness to Thunder. So I changed it again to Flygon which was effective, but the idea of Garchomp was brought up in #orangeislands, and I put it to great use.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Mollux @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spd / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume

Tomohawk @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 140 HP / 116 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Aura Sphere
- Roost
- Rapid Spin

Krilowatt @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Earth Power

Kitsunoh @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Frisk
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- ShadowStrike
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Trick

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)