1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Red Card

Discussion in 'Dragonspiral Tower' started by Coram_Boy, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elroid

elroid

I wont like this item if it is multi use. Otherwise something bulky or hard would enjoy using it coupled with entry hazards...
  2. FerrariCUBU

FerrariCUBU

"If something is too good to be true then it probably is." I think this is the case with Red Card, as well as Aiming Mark (or Bull's Eye or whatever it's called). I just can't see these items as being multi-use. It would be way too game breaking. I think (or hope) that Gamefreak has the sense not to make items that good.
  3. Thorhammer

Thorhammer

Aiming Mark isn't even single-use. Its rumored function was debunked.
  4. cookie

cookie Adominnustrata
    is a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Soc. Forums Leader

use it to force rotom or whatever to switch against tyranitar so a full-powered pursuit is guaranteed
  5. Joel

Joel

If this is a multi-use item, perhaps Skarmory could throw in a usable Swords Dance set while holding it. Maybe something like this...

Skarmory
    Adamamant/Impish
    -Swords Dance
    -Drill Peck/Brave Bird
    -Spikes/Night Slash/Pursuit
    -Roost

Or if Swampert had it, a Curse set...

Swampert
    Careful
    -Curse
    -Earthquake
    -Waterfall/Ice Punch/Stone Edge
    -Rest
  6. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I can see this also having potential use with Sturdy. :P
  7. LittleOni

LittleOni

I like the Explosion theory LOL, buuut yeah..more than likely U-turn effect.
  8. Azure Demon

Azure Demon Guest

This shit seems like it will be overly broken if it is multiuse and placed on a pokemon that's bulky and has reliable recovery like milotic. This also opens up huge chances for tanks to set up and start wrecking things
  9. SOMALIA

SOMALIA The King
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Will work like A 'BOSS' equipped onto slaking.
  10. VaxtinTheWolf

VaxtinTheWolf

L-O-F'ING-L
  11. cozcozcoz

cozcozcoz

if this thing isn't one time use it would be awesome on Stockpile Gastrodon
  12. red12345

red12345

13. elroid

elroid

baton pass team is so gonna like it if it can activate when substitute receives damage.

just a silly thought, i wonder will someone bring 2 fake-out users to annoy the enemy holding red card lol
  14. red12345

red12345

Even then stealth *ocks will damage the two pokemon.
  15. Blue Kirby

Blue Kirby Never back down.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

Part of me thinks one of the overlooked nerfs this item might be receiving is that the opponent will be able to select what they can switch in, just like you can when you receive a red card while playing a sport. Your coach substitutes another player from the bench specifically, they aren't chosen at random. If that's the case, it'll be slightly easier for your opponent to adapt to your strategy, and not really like Roar or Whirlwind at all.

If this was already known then my apologies, it was just a thought I had after reading a few of the replies in this thread.
  16. thewetmop

thewetmop

while this makes things somewhat less annoying, it doesn't really help if you already had out your best counter to the pokemon
  17. Bombkirby

Bombkirby

...recycle? :D Perhaps stick this item on Spiritomb, and recycle away! Pressure will eat at their PP, you'll be stalling and pain splitting perfectly healthy pokemon, and their pokemon can only hit you at least once and your in no danger of being OHKOed cuz u lack a weakness. Entry hazards will also be chipping away at them as well.
  18. Wikey

Wikey

You don't replace someone who receives a red card. You remain down a player for the rest of the match. :P EDIT: (Except in volleyball, apparently.)

I can't see this feasibly being multi-use. It would be way overpowered. Put it on something bulky with a recovery move and you can rack up intense entry hazard damage. Even if you can select the Pokémon that comes in it will be like an nasty form of Torment. You can only bring in the best counter to the Red Card mon every other turn. You better make sure you keep your Taunt user alive until you kill the Red Card mon. I also don't see how it would be a bad idea to have multiple Red Card users on the same team. Pair it with Shandera (whatever that Shadow Tag spinblocker is called.) and hazards are guaranteed to be down.
  19. Res Ipsa Loquitur

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Do we know if this is an immediate switch (like U-turn), or if it simply locks you in to "switch" for the next turn, similar to a Taunt or Choice Item effect? If it's the latter, the item is much more powerful because it gives you free turns. Pokemon that need a single turn of setup but have a hard time getting it could become much better. For example, Infernape's non-boosting sets are more popular than the ones with Nasty Plot or Swords Dance, largely because Infernape is so frail and doesn't have many resistances. If Infernape could switch in to a predicted non-OHKOing move and have a built-in free turn to set up, it could be worth running even a one-time-use Red Card in place of Life Orb.
  20. Ioannes

Ioannes

I think the obvious is being missed: It's called a Red Card, right? The most common reason in sports for receiving a Red Card is through illegal contact. Most likely that's what this item will do - force a switch if the opponent uses a contact move.

Pity.
  21. TheMrBassdude

TheMrBassdude

Hahahahahaha. That's a good question lol
  22. gamer_reloaded

gamer_reloaded

This. I think this item could be amazingly useful and versatile offensively and defensively, one-time use or not, if it works in the second manner mentioned. Hell it might even even have some use with Trick, as it could potentially save you from Shadow Tag pokes, while simultaneously taking their item (assuming that said ST poke can't OHKO you and you outspeed it, or of course). (Bad) Example: Trick Red Card onto Shandera, Shandera loses useful item. Next turn, attack Shandera, you're "forced" out, letting you bring in a counter without losing a pokemon of your own, albeit probably heavily damaged. I know that example is a stretch as we still have no idea how these things interact, but I see great potential.
  23. Blumey

Blumey

You could use this so easily on something that can only take one hit from a counter especially a set up guy so he's ready when they come back in.
  24. Aqueos

Aqueos

If they don't get to choose what they send in stall will have a party. If they do.... not so much, but its still good. If its 1 use no matter what it is pretty awful. (except for the sturdy poke as a last ditch stopper.)
  25. Nereus

Nereus

I can see Shuckle using this along with hazards to spread Poison around and just be a general annoyance finally one of my favorites might have more uses....and just hoping nothing hits it too hard.......and maybe acupressure the possibilities are endless with this item
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)