1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Redew's ART THREAD

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Redew, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Redew

Redew jukain sucks
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Hey, Smogon. I'm gonna be completely honest here. One day I asked RitterCat how he made his art and then I bought the app he told me about. Weeee

Oh. Thanks to all of my friends on here who have supported me :>

Well, here you go:

diglett (open)
    [​IMG]

koffing ('cause (open)
    [​IMG]

dratini (open)
    [​IMG]

Electrode (open)
    [​IMG]

Electrode with sparks (open)
    [​IMG]

Note: Diglett was my first drawing and Dratini was my last, so any tips on shading would be nice since diglett doesn't have any and Dratini only has it because of google images.

In the works
    requested thing (open)
    Misdreavus - Lethe
    Togepi - Mysteree
    Purulgy - RitterBrat
    Zekrom - Eagle4
    Regime and ium like this.
  2. Delidove

Delidove

Dat Koffing made my day.
    We want MORE! Could you make Electrode?
  3. Furosuto

Furosuto

Nice! I see a big improvement with diglett and dratini there. Only thing I would suggest is to make the lineart smoother. Or, if you're having difficulty with smooth lineart, then maybe try doing a rough border, but maybe with action lines, or make it look really accented and jagged for the lineart. Whichever works for you, just try and find a style and don't be afraid to explore with different things!

I hope my critique and advice helped you. Keep up the great work man! For a simple yet effective pokemon I would try snivy, since smooth and jagged lines could work for it either way. :D
  4. Redew

Redew jukain sucks
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

electrode (open)
    [​IMG]

Edit: i thought of adding sparks after I posted the original, so here's one with sparks.

electrode w/ sparks (open)
    [​IMG]
    Regime likes this.
  5. Delidove

Delidove

Great! XD
  6. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Haha yes Redew my humble novice! Also what do you mean Koffing because Smogon you did Koffing cause I told you to >:(
    In terms of C&C, what Furusoto said about lineart is true but from experience with first using the app, early on lineart is a BITCH. Maybe using thicker lines and fast motions could help you out in that regard.

In terms of shading assistance, my tip would be to think of the sun somewhere in the picture (say top left) and imagine where it's light would/wouldn't hit. Where it wouldn't hit you shade, where it would shade you leave it. How to really improve your shading comes with two things: one, practice and two, looking at real life and pictures to see the shading.

Just in terms of how you are physically shading, on the electrode the shading seems to be going over the lineart in some places and doesn't fit to the lines evenly. To fix this, do lineart on one layer and your colouring on the layer below. That way you can go right to the lines without going over any of them.

What is super awesome about your art and my fave thing is that it has loads of expression which is imo the number one priority in doing art so that's good. Especially dat electrode face n_n

Hope I helped my humble novice out, don't take the wall of text to mean you're crap, because you're not. Oh and have a luvdisc. Oh and draw me a cute purugly
  7. Eagle4

Eagle4

What is it with the sudden rush of new artists? These are good, but Furosuto already said what I was gonna say. Try more daring, detailed Pokemon, and try different poses. On that note, can I request a non-google imaged Zekrom please?
  8. Redew

Redew jukain sucks

Lol Ritter what do you know about art.

Jk. Thanks! You advice help a lot. And sure. Purulgy coming up.
    Sure :>
    Regime likes this.
  9. coolbiz

coolbiz

Hey, everything looks great(especially dratini) since your a beginner and all! Keep up the great work!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)