Redew's ART THREAD

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, Smogon. I'm gonna be completely honest here. One day I asked RitterCat how he made his art and then I bought the app he told me about. Weeee

Oh. Thanks to all of my friends on here who have supported me :>

Well, here you go:

Note: Diglett was my first drawing and Dratini was my last, so any tips on shading would be nice since diglett doesn't have any and Dratini only has it because of google images.

In the works
Misdreavus - Lethe
Togepi - Mysteree
Purulgy - RitterBrat
Zekrom - Eagle4

Nice! I see a big improvement with diglett and dratini there. Only thing I would suggest is to make the lineart smoother. Or, if you're having difficulty with smooth lineart, then maybe try doing a rough border, but maybe with action lines, or make it look really accented and jagged for the lineart. Whichever works for you, just try and find a style and don't be afraid to explore with different things!

I hope my critique and advice helped you. Keep up the great work man! For a simple yet effective pokemon I would try snivy, since smooth and jagged lines could work for it either way. :D

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dat Koffing made my day.
We want MORE! Could you make Electrode?
Nice! I see a big improvement with diglett and dratini there. Only thing I would suggest is to make the lineart smoother. Or, if you're having difficulty with smooth lineart, then maybe try doing a rough border, but maybe with action lines, or make it look really accented and jagged for the lineart. Whichever works for you, just try and find a style and don't be afraid to explore with different things!

I hope my critique and advice helped you. Keep up the great work man! For a simple yet effective pokemon I would try snivy, since smooth and jagged lines could work for it either way. :D

Edit: i thought of adding sparks after I posted the original, so here's one with sparks.

Haha yes Redew my humble novice! Also what do you mean Koffing because Smogon you did Koffing cause I told you to >:(
In terms of C&C, what Furusoto said about lineart is true but from experience with first using the app, early on lineart is a BITCH. Maybe using thicker lines and fast motions could help you out in that regard.

In terms of shading assistance, my tip would be to think of the sun somewhere in the picture (say top left) and imagine where it's light would/wouldn't hit. Where it wouldn't hit you shade, where it would shade you leave it. How to really improve your shading comes with two things: one, practice and two, looking at real life and pictures to see the shading.

Just in terms of how you are physically shading, on the electrode the shading seems to be going over the lineart in some places and doesn't fit to the lines evenly. To fix this, do lineart on one layer and your colouring on the layer below. That way you can go right to the lines without going over any of them.

What is super awesome about your art and my fave thing is that it has loads of expression which is imo the number one priority in doing art so that's good. Especially dat electrode face n_n

Hope I helped my humble novice out, don't take the wall of text to mean you're crap, because you're not. Oh and have a luvdisc. Oh and draw me a cute purugly

What is it with the sudden rush of new artists? These are good, but Furosuto already said what I was gonna say. Try more daring, detailed Pokemon, and try different poses. On that note, can I request a non-google imaged Zekrom please?

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
Haha yes Redew my humble novice! Also what do you mean Koffing because Smogon you did Koffing cause I told you to >:(
In terms of C&C, what Furusoto said about lineart is true but from experience with first using the app, early on lineart is a BITCH. Maybe using thicker lines and fast motions could help you out in that regard.

In terms of shading assistance, my tip would be to think of the sun somewhere in the picture (say top left) and imagine where it's light would/wouldn't hit. Where it wouldn't hit you shade, where it would shade you leave it. How to really improve your shading comes with two things: one, practice and two, looking at real life and pictures to see the shading.

Just in terms of how you are physically shading, on the electrode the shading seems to be going over the lineart in some places and doesn't fit to the lines evenly. To fix this, do lineart on one layer and your colouring on the layer below. That way you can go right to the lines without going over any of them.

What is super awesome about your art and my fave thing is that it has loads of expression which is imo the number one priority in doing art so that's good. Especially dat electrode face n_n

Hope I helped my humble novice out, don't take the wall of text to mean you're crap, because you're not. Oh and have a luvdisc. Oh and draw me a cute purugly
Lol Ritter what do you know about art.

Jk. Thanks! You advice help a lot. And sure. Purulgy coming up.
What is it with the sudden rush of new artists? These are good, but Furosuto already said what I was gonna say. Try more daring, detailed Pokemon, and try different poses. On that note, can I request a non-google imaged Zekrom please?
Sure :>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)