Data Referee Training Grounds (READ: New Guidelines 10/28/2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to assist with the tutor ref program. I am not very good when it comes to flavour, but I can help with stuff like mechanics and what does and does not make sense. Plus, there's always the old 'ask if you don't know' technique that has served me well these many, many weeks and I would encourage any tutees of mine to use.

I think I'll try reffing and what-not. (Discussed this with Flora and danman, it's cool without doing apprenticeship.)

Timezone: CST, or GMT -5
Availability: Usually around 12:30 PM of my time, Anytime from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM my time, and probably a lot more while school's out. It also depends on the day, but I'm usually pretty active.

Ongoing battles:
Not reffing any yet.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would like to ref.

Timezone: GMT -5, CST
Availability: Inconsistent time-wise, but I spend time on Smogon every day, and pretty much only in CAP and ASB.
UC Earned: 571

Reffing:

None

Reff'd:

1vs1 Singles:
Destiny_Warrior vs. Objection
Venser vs. Metal Bagon
rewindman vs. iiMKUltra
Ragnarokalex vs. TEA_DEMON (Subreffed)
Terrador vs. Blazikenmaster-Zeo
Arcanite vs. shinyskarmory
Woodchuck vs. SimonSays
Arcanite vs. LightWolf (Subreffed)
Rediamond vs. Endquote
Son_of_Shadoo vs. Darkamber8828
Its_A_Random vs. LightWolf

1vs1 Melee:
Fire Blast vs. pimpgangster vs. DFrog vs. XVIcaliber (Subreffed)
Fire Blast vs. Tortferngatr vs. AlphaJolt vs. Woodchuck

2vs2 Singles:
SimonSays vs. Deck_Knight
Maxim vs. undisputed
Rediamond vs. Gerard
Doominic vs. Detroitlolcat (Subreffed)
TravelLog vs. jas61292
TheWolfe vs. Kaxtar

2vs2 Doubles:
pimpgangaster vs. DFrog
iiMKUltra vs. Dogfish44
DFrog vs. Dragonboy52
Objection vs. Dogfish44
TravelLog vs. danmantincan
Dogfish44 vs. Engineer Pikachu
GoldenKnight vs. Venser
IceBug vs. Deadfox081
nESP vs. Woodchuck
Engineer Pikachu vs. C$FP
C$FP vs. Woodchuck
Metal Bagon vs. Endquote
C$FP vs. rewindman
C$FP vs. ToastTyrant13
Lord Jesseus vs. hoblaph
Nightmare Jigglypuff vs. Endquote
IceBug vs. Fire Blast
rewindman vs. IceBug
Arcanite vs. Maxim
Orcinus Duo vs. TheWolfe

3vs3 Singles:
Deadfox081 vs. Frosty
Dogfish44 vs. shadowbone66
Flamestrike vs. -Charmander-
Ragnarokalex vs. Spenstar (Subreffed)
AlphaJolt vs. Albinoloon
jas61292 vs. TEA_DEMON (Subreffed)
ToastTyrant13 vs. TEA_DEMON (Subreffed)
Huntofthelion vs. Leethoof (Subreffed)
devoninja vs. Son_of_Shadoo
TheWolfe vs. Nightmare Jigglypuff

3vs3 Simultaneous Singles:
Mr.L vs. shinyskarmory

3vs3 Doubles:
TravelLog vs. Ragnarokalex
Leethoof vs. LightWolf
Objection vs. iiMKUltra
Limewire vs. Rickheg
shinyskarmory vs. deadfox081

3vs3 Triples:
danmantincan vs. Tortferngatr (Subreffed)

3vs3 Singles Melee:
Gerard vs. Romeert vs. Lady Salamence
Flamestrike vs. Tortferngatr vs. Lyris1035
Lady Salamence vs. Rewindman vs. Tortferngatr
danmantincan vs. Flamestrike vs. Rediamond

3vs3 Doubles Melee:
Kaxtar vs. Son_of_Shadoo vs. jas61292

4vs4 Singles:
deadfox081 vs. shinyskarmory

4vs4 Doubles:
Nightmare jigglypuff vs. Arcanite (Subreffed)
PinkCaptainFalcon vs. TravelLog
Gerard vs. pimpgangster
XVIcaliber vs. Woodchuck
Its_A_Random vs. Deck Knight

4vs4 Triples:
Ragnarokalex vs. TEA_DEMON

6vs6 Singles:
Dogfish44 vs. Lyris1035
Objection vs. Kaxtar
danmantincan vs. Kaxtar
Terrador vs. Ragnarokalex
Arcanite vs. Son_of_Shadoo

6vs6 Doubles:
iiMKUltra vs. Kaxtar
Alchemator vs. Blazikenmaster-Zeo

6vs6 Triples:
danmantincan vs. Blazikenmaster-Zeo
TEA_DEMON vs. Tortferngatr

6vs6 Brawl:
Ragnarokalex vs. TEA_DEMON
Ragnarokalex vs. Athenodoros
Blazikenmaster-Zeo vs. danmantincan
Dogfish44 vs. danmantincan
Kaxtar vs. Maxim

8vs8 Brawl:
Alchemator vs. Maxim (Subreffed)

Tutoring:
Blazikenmaster-Zeo vs. EndQuote (ToastTyrant13)
albinoloon vs. rewindman (ToastTyrant13)
C$FP vs. Steampowered (ToastTyrant13)

I would love to help tutor (although I may not be the best choice, considering I stupidly agreed to ref 5 matches at once...).

And I have an in-battle issue: In one of the battles I'm reffing, one of the competitors ordered one of his Pokemon to use Flamethrower twice over the span of two turns. I thought nothing of it, since I knew that the Pokemon could legitimately learn Flamethrower. However, on Round 3, he posted that he had screwed up: his Pokemon actually didn't know Flamethrower. I was going to just cause the move to fail both times, except for the fact that one of his opponent's Pokemon would have survived an additional round as a result of the attack failing. His opponent had already sent out a new Pokemon. I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with this. My solution is to have the player who messed up use a different move (Return) in place of the illegal one, since it would still get the necessary KO and has no secondary effect. Is there a better way to deal with this?

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
(Posting here to not get messy with the main thread - it's about the Referee Tutoring Program.)

Do you guys want to do it first serve first come? Since I don't believe the process will take really long (it's one match, unless it's like a 5v5 singles or one of you guys are really inactive), I could just assign one of the tutor refs to one of the tutees right now and you guys can get the process into motion. Seeing the pace, it'll be long until we actually have a equal size of tutees to tutors. The bad thing is that the tutors won't have much of a "equal" opportunity, but I can watch for that and pick for tutors who didn't get to tutor yet to tutor a new person (and timezone will also be looked over).

(If no one comments, I'll be doing this by default.)

(So far, we got Objection for Nigglypuff, so I'll make sure the other two are fine.)

Is it true that priority moves can no longer be used for evasion? If so, where can I find this information? (This is relevant to one of the matches I'm reffing.)

Is it true that priority moves can no longer be used for evasion? If so, where can I find this information? (This is relevant to one of the matches I'm reffing.)
This is true and, iirc, was made true at the same time as the Dodge command was codified. The only moves that can be used evasively now are Agility, moves like Dig and Fly, and any that specifically have dodging rules written in their descriptions.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If a slower mon tries to dodge in any way, the accuracy of the targeter increases. THis has been around for a while. This applies even for using Extremespeed etc., because a dodge is a dodge.

i would like to give reffing a try!

Timezone: eastern (usa)
Availability: since all the things i do are ending, i have huge amount of time. nowadays i'm on CAP ASB at least all day (yeah i'm sheltered and don't do much haha). i'm on basically between 7am to 10pm every day now, though about june 18th i start a job where i get no computer access.

Ongoing battles i'm reffing:
3vs3 Singles Steampowered vs QuantumDerp http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3577671#post3577671
3vs3 Singles Texas Cloverleaf vs Objection http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3448893http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3577671#post3577671

OK, I'd like an official ruling on this please.

If a pokemon uses Double Team, and then the other pokemon uses a never miss move like Faint Attack or Aerial Ace, does the move always hit the real pokemon or can it still hit a clone instead?

EDIT: It's official from Deck - a never miss move always hits the real mon even after a Double Team.

I was just looking at a Scizor that someone has, and I was looking at its ability's. Let's say that all three of its abilities are activated (Swarm, Technician and Light Metal), and it uses Bug Bite (6 Base Power). Which of these abilities would boost it? They all have to do with base power, and I'm not sure how they play into each other. I think it would have 11 Base Power ([6*1.5]+2) and normal priority, but I'm not sure.

What if it uses Pursuit (4 Base Power) and Technician and Light Metal are activated. Does that mean that it has 6 Base Power with +1 priority?

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was just looking at a Scizor that someone has, and I was looking at its ability's. Let's say that all three of its abilities are activated (Swarm, Technician and Light Metal), and it uses Bug Bite (6 Base Power). Which of these abilities would boost it? They all have to do with base power, and I'm not sure how they play into each other. I think it would have 11 Base Power ([6*1.5]+2) and normal priority, but I'm not sure.

What if it uses Pursuit (4 Base Power) and Technician and Light Metal are activated. Does that mean that it has 6 Base Power with +1 priority?
Yes to the first one.
Yes to the second one.

(I think)

Availability:
Weekdays 3-7 (GMT-4, iirc), sometimes on later
Weekends: 10-7, unless something weird's going on.
No guarantees, due to school being unpredictable and whatnot. If I need a break, I'll say so in the thread.

adding +1 priority to all their attacks with 6 or less Base Attack Power (after other ability adjustments).
I think this was intended for Scizor, yes, if it maintains 6 (or less) BP it has +1 priority, if it has 7 (or more) it's normal priority

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Engineer Pikachu and Gerard have it correctly. I added a sentence to Technician to clarify this: "Because Technician is a multiplier on single hit moves, its effect is applied to Base Attack Power before any additive effects."

So what happens is that Technician applies itself, then Swarm applies itself, then Light Metal applies if the Base Attack Power is still 6 or less.

So for example, using Struggle Bug early in a match it will have priority because only Technician is boosting it's Base Attack Power (from 4 up to 6). Once Swarm activates, it's Base Attack Power goes up to 8, so it is ineligible for Light Metal.

Bug Bite on the other hand goes from 6 to 9 BP, so it is never eligible. When Swarm activates its Base Attack Power goes up to 11.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I posted on the tutoring program, but forgot to post here, so here it is:

Timezone: GMT -3
Availability: To actually post stuff, weekdays starting at noon 'til 20:00, saturday from 8:00 'til noon and sunday 8:00-22:00 if necessary. I usually just check from time to time with a cel phone to see if there is something new and only get on if I need to post something. Which is why you won't see me actually on the server or the page or IRC very often.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3449515 (The Shiny Umbreon vs Doran Dragon)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3450630 (Albinoloon + ToastTyrant13 vs Woodchuck + Jas61292)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3450605 (Its_a_Random + Temperantia vs Lyris1035 + Lord Jesseus)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3449516 (Mewteo15026 vs Temperantia)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3450524 (LupusAter vs DarthVader317)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)